IMDb > "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 5 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

It's Always Sunny In My House!

Author: Susie V.C. from United States
14 April 2012

I admit, I was late to the game. I began watching Sunny when Comedy Central started to air it.

Initially, I didn't get it -- at all. The plot lines were all over the place and I couldn't make sense of it. Their crazy antics made me laugh but I was completely lost. And then I experienced it, "The Nightman Cometh"...the episode that changed it all for me! I found everything from the "rape scene" to the marriage proposal so intriguing that I was determined to watch the entire series and piece this Sunny puzzle together.

I did my homework. I bought the Six Pack (Seasons 1-5 & "A Very Sunny Christmas"), Season 6 and I even ended up buying the soundtrack. I caught up to it within a few weeks and I am hooked!

This is not your typical (boring) cast of characters and the fact that they do not fit the typical (predictable) sitcom mold is what makes it so darn excellent! And to add to the charm of the show, I come to find out that they're all pretty much married to each other in real life! :-)

I LOVE this show! They bring a huge smile to my face! I can't wait for Season 8!

Hate to say it, but it is "Seinfeld on Crack"

Author: pete wilson from United Kingdom
12 February 2012

As much as I hate lazy "its X on Drug" descriptions for shows, the FX tag line is probably the most accurate I've ever heard. Sunny is packed with brilliant jokes, witty lines, great set-ups and surprising twists, all anchored in a manically dark setting. In a real running time of 20 minutes, the average episode has more laugh out loud moments and darkly intelligent plotting than most sitcoms manage in a season.

The whole show has an insane energy, with simple but unique characters dragging you along their genuinely bizarre trains of thought into very odd situations.

Arguably the First Season is the weakest but only in comparison. I loved it and was impressed it seemed to get stronger and stronger as it progressed, with Danny DeVito's addition being a god send.

This show is also refreshing in that it mainly avoids the fashion for a strong running plot that many modern comedies are using. This means a more old fashioned style of a 'wacky' adventure a week, with the occasional recurring support character. This in my opinion keeps it fresh, where a lot of other 'mature' sitcoms get dragged down by soap opera style baggage build up, Sunny can pick and choose. If proof be needed it has been optioned for a 10th Season despite its relative cult status.

Best American Sitcom I've seen in some time, and there's plenty of strong contenders (Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, Community) so I don't say that lightly.

It's always sunny in Philadelphia

Author: lilmandecicco from United States
4 January 2012

It is one of the funniest shows on TV. The only problem with this show and why I only gave it a 9 is because it's PREDICTABLE. Yes, it is one hilarious show, but you see the humor of the next part before it'll even show. There is no perfect show, but the predictability for this show makes this show perfect for itself. Still, I don't reward a show for being predictable, despite whether it makes it funnier that you'll know what's going to happen or not. The two funniest characters on this show are Charlie and Frank without a doubt. Charlie is such an idiot with everything, and Frank just says the wrongest stuff to where you're enjoying the show more than you really should. If those two characters weren't in this show then it just wouldn't even be sunny, it would've been called "This show sucks!"

Refreshingly modern comedy

Author: andyphillips-868-754114 from United Kingdom
17 February 2014

If you scour the lowest rated reviews for this show you'll only hear criticism in the form of 'it's not funny' with little or no justification.

I think the reason for this is exactly the same reason behind similar criticism for 'The office' here in UK - which is that some people just don't get it.

The boring out-dated premise for comedy is unrealistically happy young people getting into mishaps followed by feel good endings all round - e.g/ Scrubs, Friends, Big Bang Theory - Boring.

The premise for It's always sunny is narcissistic and selfish characters on the upper edge of youth trying to make everything about themselves to their own detriment.

In other words, we've gone in completely the opposite direction to the status quo, which comedy SHOULD. The addition of Danny DeVito who's synonymous with 'old school' is just the icing on the cake, well done Danny for 'getting it' and for contributing to something genuinely funny and original!

A funny, fresh, and incredibly original comedy

Author: Jon Denesi from Canada
17 January 2013

Upon first viewing the pilot episode of It's always sunny, I was unsure of what to think. As I watched more, it grew on me. This enforces the point of the show truly being an original show. This show was uniquely created, straying far from the path of generic and repetitive comedies that are being aired, and aired again on various standard networking channels. As I stated, it took time to get me hooked, only because it was unlike anything I have seen on television, thus I needed more time to adapt to the humor. It's always sunny has great characters that really engulf you in their charismatic, oddly charming, and awkward ways. The humor itself ranges from awkward silly humor, and all the way to dry situational comedic antics. Needless to say, it has a vast supply of fresh material, suiting many comedic influences.

The characters are a remarkable sight, the outgoing nature and chemistry between the cast allow for a more authentic situation feel. Although the situations may be extravagant, or off the wall, it still feels like one can relate to the emotions and actions of the characters. The premise of the show itself isn't necessary brand spanking new, but once again, the antics of the characters are so unique it will leave you laughing at the sincerity of the actors expressions and actions.

All the characters have their strengths, and I must say again, the sincerity and depth of the situations that the characters are put through are very humorous. Charlie (Charlie Day) being one of the most unique characters, brings a lot to the table. His crazy endeavors, which he frequently pulls the rest of the cast into, are far from normal. He seems like the genuinely misunderstood character because of the incredibly awkward and strange situations he is in. (eg. Rat Bashing, climbing in sewers, crazy ideas, inventions, etc)

Dennis and Mac are great characters as well, along with Dee and frank, they all have great chemistry. It is honestly a great, fresh show, and you will have no idea what will happen to 'the gang' in upcoming episodes. The episodes are like a 'free-for-all', as I said, anything can happen to the gang. You can rely on the fact that things will get of hand, and the 'things/situations' will be dealt with in a off-colour way.

It really is a fabulous show, and is definitely recommended as a somewhat 'light-hearted comedy'. By this I mean it is the kind of show that really gives you the warming laughter, sometimes hysterical laughter, that you could just click on at any moment, and just have a good time.

A true must watch show

Author: James Westfall
3 November 2012

IASIP is a rare breed of a show. It manages to mix shock and awe with humour like no other show has before it. Borrowing stylings from Curb Your Enthusiasm (no bad thing) each episode almost seems more unbelievable than the last. Stand out examples would be where Dennis and Dee develop a crack addiction just to get welfare, or Charlie getting engaged to a 14 yr old Korean girl. The list goes on! Despite its crassness, its very very clever and sharp and leaves you wanting more. The cast are almost perfect. Narcissism is at the forefront of all the characters minds, they only care about what suits them. Anyone with brains would run a mile from them, but they have a great support cast who always come back for more. Whenever i see The Waitress, Mac's dad ,The Lawyer etc all i wonder is 'What is going to happen to them this episode?' A childhood friend called Rickety Cricket for example Leaves the priesthood, develops a cocaine addiction and has his throat slashed by the gang, but they somehow always get him involved in their antics! So yeah, just watch it.

I almost skipped on this show.

Author: Denim_Chicken from United States
4 December 2013

I remember when I was in high school and my friend said this show is actually funny, and I said "Its just a bunch of people yelling". So I didn't watch it. Then I kept seeing promos of it on comedy central, and just decided to check it out, not expecting much, and boy was I wrong! The first episode I watched was "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom" and when Dennis was talking to Mac's mom trying to bang her lol and she said "I think your an ugly man". Then he said "I'm not ugly your ugly" I spit all over my T.V and was laughing till I started crying. Then I watched the last few episodes of season 7 on FX and I've been a fan since 2011 and I am constantly on IMDb seeing ratings of the show and certain episodes, I am an obsessive fan of this show and talk about it 24/7.

This is by far the best comedy to ever come on television and for you people who don't think this show looks good at least watch like 3 episodes then you will be hooked.

One of the best shows on television.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
25 November 2009

It's always sunny in Philadelphia is one of the best shows on television. A lot of the shows on TV are good. But there are some that are bad. This show is far from it. It's so crazy and insanely funny... I can't describe it to you.

There are many likable characters on the show. My favorite is played by an Olsen sister. An Olsen sister who nobody knows about. They should know about her, because she's great. Also, Danny Devito's character is very funny.

The show is actually pretty insane at many times. There are people getting stabbed, in The Christmas special, I think one of the characters bites someone. It's crazy. My favorite show on television is Curb your enthusiasm with Larry David, and that show is rated R too. Those shows are better. The R rated ones. This is one of them. and this is one of the better shows on television today.

A Brilliant Show

Author: fireflame94 from New Zealand
19 October 2009

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a show that may not appeal to everyone, due to it's use of crude humor. It is however,to those who are not easily offended, just brilliant. The show centers around five people in Philadelphia who own a bar and get themselves into sticky situations as a result of their personalities.

The show is funny as it is primarily character-driven, with the characters who are each extremely obnoxious, rude and self-centered in their own way. The characters instantly frustrate and annoy anyone who comes near them, as well as trying to manipulate each other to do things for their own selfish purposes.

These interactions with other people are often the funniest part of the show. When people are around them they find themselves essentially shut out of the conversation, as though the cast is in a different dimension, and end up extremely frustrated by the situation they have found themselves in. The dialogue is also extremely good, focusing on the relatively mundane and the crazy simultaneously. My reference to that would be the "power bottom" scene where they discuss the positions in a homosexual relationship.

The comparison of It's always sunny to another good comedy Seinfeld is apt but It's Always Sunny edges out the juggernaut of comedy on it's characters, as Seinfeld's characters are always at least a little bit likable. You at no stage should find It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's characters likable as they have no shred of human decency. And that is what is quintessentially at the heart of this show and produces the comedy, which was also the case for Seinfeld.

It's Always Sunny is one of the great comedies, but not for the easily offended.

Why does this show have no Emmys?

Author: Chadman321 from United States
2 February 2009

It has brilliant writing, a hilarious cast and always funny episodes. But it seems like through all the good things about the show, it has nominations for the many things that make this show so great. To anyone who has never seen this show, it's all about 5 people- Frank(Danny Devito), Mac(Rob McElhenney), Dennis(Glenn Howerton), Dee(Kaitlin Olson) and my favorite (no offense to the others) Charlie(Charlie Day). They own a bar in South Philly called Paddy's Pub, and they all have their adventures through their everyday lives. As simple as it sounds, it's so much more. They took a little idea and made a masterpiece. It's like have only a yarn of string and a needle and make something worth a million dollars. That's very hard to do it seems now-a-days. For those that haven't seen it, watch it. I love this show. Thank the lord for this show.