IMDb > Maid of Honor (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Maid of Honor (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Linda Purl does a fine job

Author: g404c
18 January 2006

Maid of Honor stars Linda Purl as Laci, an aunt to a widow's two children in a nice suburban home. Richard, the widow, is played by Linden Ashby, and he gives a decent portrayal of a loving father. Laci is the sister of Richard's wife who was killed in a car accident two years earlier. When Richard declares he and his love-interest, Nicole (played by Shannon Sturges), are to be married, Laci is silently enraged and things get worse as the film progresses.

Purl looks great and she really makes the most of her character. There is one scene that takes place in a hospital stairwell between she and Ashby that is quite good, where she showcases some of the best acting and emotion I have seen in a TV movie of this genre. This is a good movie.

One Guess Who the Bad Person Is

Author: whpratt1 from United States
6 January 2006

As soon as I heard the title of this TV film, I almost assumed who the bad person was going to eventually turn into. However, there are lots of twists and turns in this film and I believe a murder is committed that the killer actually got away with accomplishing. There is a father who's wife is killed in an auto accident, leaving the father with a teenage daughter and smaller son, both who loved their mom very much. The former wife's sister lives in the home and is sort of a housekeeper for the entire family. The film goes along rather smoothly until another woman makes an appearance and it upsets the entire household. Nice entertaining film and very good acting.

Evil Woman

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 March 2007

While driving in the road, Richard Wynn (Linden Ashby) crashes his car and his beloved wife Carrie Wynn (Caroline Redekopp) dies. Along two years, his sister-in-law Laci Collins (Linda Purl) moves to his house and helps Richard to raise his son Danny Wynn (Steven McPhail) and his teenage daughter Molly Wynn (Danni Kind). When Richard decides to get married with Nicole Harris (Shannon Sturges), the deranged and psychotic Laci that is in love for Richard, tries to force Richard to call off the wedding with malevolence against Nicole and manipulating Danny.

"Maid of Honor" is one of those predictable and forgettable made-for-TV thrillers, which the screenplay seems to be ready in a shelf and the viewer knows what is going to happen and how the movie will end. I do not know how many similar films I have watched with the same psychological structure and conclusion. The good difference is the performance of Linda Purl in the role of a completely unstable woman, capable of plotting the most despicable wicked actions against the poor and beautiful Nicole. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): Not Available

Surprisingly fun, well-acted and nasty suspense film

Author: marioncap from United States
24 June 2006

I picked this up at the video store thinking "this'll be a really bad, unintentionally funny melodrama about a Desperate Woman" -- and I was only half-right. Yes, it is about a desperate woman, but it's actually very well done, powerfully suspenseful and develops all the characters to the point where they come across as real people you care about.

This movie fooled me at least three times, and I like to think I'm fairly quick on the uptake. Linda Purl is a wonderfully expressive and intense actress -- why isn't she famous??? I highly recommend this movie to anybody who likes good thrillers, and/or anyone who enjoys watching a superb actor like Purl as she crafts a brilliantly realized character (even if the movie isn't quite good enough to deserve her).

I was rooting for Laci!

Author: unapalomablanca from Philippines
25 January 2008

The first time I heard about this movie, I wanted to see it because I was expecting blood, jealousy ad rage in a very lethal combination. Linda Purl played the villain, but I was actually rooting for her! In fact, I thought she was the good girl and Nicole was the bad uh, girl. However, the movie seemed a little pale, and Shannon Sturges' acting did not give me that much satisfaction, especially in the stabbing scene. I was looking forward to a more family-oriented ending (where Richard and the kids realize that they are enough for each other). All in all, the plot, the schemes and Linda Purl's pity-soliciting acting contributed to the film's likability, but Shannon Sturges' stiffness seemed a little off.

10 for Bruce Dinsmore, 5 for the rest

Author: kawai54 from United States
30 March 2009

This movie was an okay way to pass the time on a day when you're not feeling well. But I wouldn't go out of of my way for it.

Linda Purl did all right, and convinced me that she was a little off-kilter. Linden Ashby is very handsome, but he didn't exhibit much emotion. He seemed mostly stony-faced.

I can truly say that the only person I really loved in the movie was the character Kevin, played by Bruce Dinsmore. I always enjoyed seeing him on the screen. Now he is someone I would make a point of following!

And even though her scene was quite short, Sophie Gedron looked pretty awkward. I've never seen her in any movie where she looked natural. I hope she comes to realize that acting is just not her thing. (Unfortunately, she the Octomom decided to get lip jobs, and their lips now overwhelm their faces. Too bad she decided to go that route.)

A stereotypical Lifetime movie

Author: VinnieRattolle from United States
8 March 2008

I picked this up thinking it was a horror movie; as is typical for Lion's Gate, the DVD packaging is completely misleading. As the film opened, I instantly realized that it was a movie of the week... and one that I've seen a billion times since FATAL ATTRACTION came out in '87. Yes, crazy lady becomes obsessed with the notion of being with a man who doesn't love her. Before I go any further, I must admit that Purl devoured her role but unfortunately, nearly everything else about the film was inept.

I can't remember the last time I had everything figured out in a movie eons before it occurred. All of the twists that should have been subtle were instead anti-climactic because of the hackneyed direction and even worse writing. A few examples: In one scene, we see Purl trying on the wedding ring her brother-in-law bought for his new fiancée, and the camera lingers far too long on her niece, who walks in and catches her. I wonder how that's gonna end. In another scene, Purl calls a guy from an incriminating location, and as he closes his cell phone, he asks himself aloud, "Where's that area code?" Gee, do you think that's a setup for him to figure out what she's up to? Then there's several fantasy sequences which are far too obvious for anyone to think they're actually happening. But most insulting of all is an overlong flashback sequence near the end that rehashes every single plot point, as if the audience were too stupid to figure it out for themselves.

The actors elevated the material quite a bit, but couldn't save it from being a 90 minute Lifetime Movie cliché. Even on a camp level it doesn't really work and I'm shocked to see all of the favorable reviews. Personally, the one and only reason I'd recommend this is for a few performances. If you like Purl, Ashby or Sturges, check it out; all others, beware.

Predictable!!

Author: labbysexy-544-183001 from Toronto, Canada
6 March 2016

Like all made for TV movies, you can almost write the entire storyline from start to finish just by watching the first 5minutes of it. I kinda knew what to expect but hey, it was a lazy winter Sunday morning and I was in no hurry to get out of bed and flicking through channels, saw this and watched. Linda Purl's acting was the only saving grace. The other characters lacked depth and I cannot believe how these writers always make the main characters seem so weak and simple and act all they have faced in a manner no person with an ounce of common sense would. Although there were some good scenes in parts thanks to Linda Purl's character, I think this formula needs to be reworked and even if the writer or Director wants a happy ending, they can still make the movie a true suspense from start to finish that when you get there (end) it should come as a surprise. It is for this reason I have given this movie a 3 star just on the basis of Linda's performance.

This lady just wants your love.

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
24 March 2007

Laci Collins becomes close and provides a helping hand to her brother-in-law Richard and his children, after her sister was killed in a car accident two years ago. After moving in she has become so attached, as if its her own family she was looking after. Things do take a turn for the worst when Richard proposes to his girlfriend of one year, Nicole. This development gets to Laci, as in her disturbed mind, this is 'her' family and Richard is 'her' man. So she goes about trying to disrupt these wedding plans by any type of means, which to keep her dream alive could lead to murder.

Yawn! Here's another one of those domestic based thrillers involving the old ground concept of a psycho-lady who loves those people close to her way too much to let go of what she has. Think of "Fatal Attraction" crossed with "The Stepfather" and wallah, you have the lame lifetime TV presentation "Maid of Honor". Actually thinking about it more, this one tends to fall into clichéd soapy territory with drama aplenty and many ridiculous plot developments that wouldn't go astray in those type of serials. The measly premise is an utter joke even if something like this could happen, but the dramatics and languid script seems to drag out even more. Watch how Purl's character tries at every turn to stop the marriage with less than cunning effects and that obsessive behaviour transmits some wildly violent thoughts towards Nicole. Since there's nothing resembling any kind of suspense or build up, it moves along at snails pace. We get the usual back-story and flashbacks of our character's troubled beginnings of living in the shadow of her successful sister, because of her ungrateful mother's comparison. The way the main character manipulates the surrounding actions to her advantage is far from subtle. You'll be scratching your head at just how slow they are at picking up on it. Even when her niece gets suspicious, she still acts as if she had no idea. It's all talk, very uninspired and plenty of close up shots on concerned faces and that of Linda Purl's twisted facial expressions. Now that was convincing! Too bad mostly everything in the story wasn't. Her coldly calculated central performance is rather irksome, but she's suitably detestable and overdone in a demented way. Purl really does get into the part, maybe too much. The rest of the cast members do a modest job, but Shannon Sturges is a shinning delight and Danielle Kind falls into the same boat. Just like most TV productions, it's pretty clean looking, but technically generic across the board. The musical score sounds traditional, that's whenever it decides to kick in, because you'll hardly notice it. Camera-work sticks close to the practical framing without an ounce of live. Douglas Jackson's limply one-dimensional direction is no better, and totally fumbles any chance of providing such shocks for corny daftness.

"Maid of Honor" is a flatly handled and laughable wannabe thriller, which the neat looking cover artwork for the DVD just can't seem deliver the promise.

No summary

Author: juha-autio from Sweden
25 November 2006

This was by far the worst kind of TV movie that I've seen in my entire life. I saw that somebody liked the acting in this movie I have to ask: What acting and the same goes for the directing,I mean Jeez this could have been good in the 50's - Maybe! All and all this was a BWOT! One could guess the plot after about 30 seconds from the first frame. I mean what kind of morons can imagine that this kind of storyline would interest anyone with higher IQ than 80 which equals an idiot. I was totally eluded by the commentaries and the ratings from now on I'll be a lot more careful about believing in other peoples' commentaries because I've been mislead to see a bunch of some really horrible crap-movies. Please do not waste your time on this one.