IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 16: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Entertaining and action packed!

Author: Magne Kolstad from Denmark
18 December 2011

I took my 6yo daughter to watch this movie, and for what it is, it's very entertaining. Kids are very immediate in their response to what they like and what they don't, and my daughter loved this film!

Personally, I find it quite fun as well. Maybe it's the child in me, but I found this highly entertaining and action packed. It's required that you accept that this is not rocket science, and just positive escapism.

But if you do have a playful heart, I bet this won't disappoint you at all. In fact, I have to look very long and hard to find a more entertaining time!

Not Good. Just Nothing Original or Interesting.

Author: kino1969 from Midwest USA
13 December 2011

With the amount of bad reviews that this movie has received, and I have taken them into account BEFORE seeing this movie, I was not surprised on the level of unimaginative thought put into this film. There is nothing new in the story. There are nothing but nonstop spurting of clichés and puns. There is no new storyline, and it is weak. The Smurf voices are really, really bad.

However, the movie is not a total disaster on the level of the horrid 1999 movie "Wild, Wild West." My children liked it, I thought it was what it was (sophmoric and lame). The voices were just HORRIBLE. I can't stand the hugely overrated (and that is an understatement) Katy Perry as it is, and her voice and lines pretty much sums up her talent and having her in this movie shows the level of voice "talent" that one would expect. Come on, George Lopez? Kenan Thompson? Jonathan Winters? Pee Wee Herman? I mean, other than Winters and Cumming (who are actors, not voices), which of the people on the list of voices has ANY talent? Certainly not Wolfie Puck, who is called a "chef" (ever been to one of his restaurants?). Why does the entire story revolve around "pseudo" Smurfs Gutsy, Narrator, or the "Scottish" Smurf. Jokey would have been an asset to the story, not the "Scottish" Smurf!

I have to say that I am giving 5 stars due to the talent of Azaria. Yes, he plays Gargamel better than any other actor that I could hope. Many call his work wasted, but I don't believe so. He stays in character, and the piece at the end rounds him off perfect. He is not to blame. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

And what is with the blatant "Product Placement"? Oh, that's right, it's a picture by SONY! Need I say more?

Again, there is nothing new or imaginative. I'd stick to the good, ol' 1980s cartoon series over this movie, but your kids may enjoy it for what it is: mindless entertainment. I liked "Looney Toons: Back in Action" much, much more.

5 of 10. Kids will probably like it.----- E.

The Vidiot Reviews...

Author: capone666 from Canada
1 December 2011

The Smurfs

The upside to old cartoons being adapted into Hollywood movies is that adults who watched them in the '80s can sleep through them in the 2000s.

However, dozing around the blue-hued imps in this family movie could result in eggs being laid in your belly.

A miniature race of azure anomalies is endangered when a sorcerer, Gargamel (Hank Azaria), discovers their village.

During the invasion, their leader Papa Smurf (Jonathan Winters) and others (Kathy Perry, Anton Yelchin, Fred Armisen, Alan Cumming, George Lopez) are transported to modern-day New York.

Now, along with their new human friends (Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays), they must stop Gargamel from gaining untold powers.

Based on the Saturday morning cartoon, The Smurfs stay true to their character designs. But fall short when it comes to an engaging adventure.

Besides, the only thing that should be re-visiting Americans from the 1980s right now should be Reaganomics. (Yellow Light)

Perfectly alright children's movie

Author: anssir66 from Finland
17 November 2011

I went to see this with my 7-year-old son and he enjoyed it. I was entertained, as well. This is by no means a bad movie, like some other reviews state; sooner, it fulfills its role very well as family pastime. Definitely recommended; don't believe all the negative reviews on this site, or, at least don't take them too literally. While this is not exactly groundbreaking, it's obvious that the filmmakers seriously aimed at making a good and endearing story and it comes through. The computer smurfs blend well with the real environment. Hank Azaria is a good choice for the role of Gargamel. Really nothing much to complain, go see it for yourself!

It could have been smurfier, but it smurfed anyway ...

Author: ElMaruecan82 from France
2 November 2011

This review is from someone who grew up with the Franco-Belgian Comic book school, and is glad to see the growing appeal of this universe in today's cinema. Yep, it's not just about superheroes, or manga.

"Smurfs 3D" … in New York City … the kind of plot premises that begs so much for harsh critics, you wouldn't dare to give it the benefit of doubt. Indeed, the whole purpose of the film sounds like the kind of blasphemies that pervert the notion of entertainment, as a simple excuse to provide 3D and special effects driven thrills. But still, with that predisposition to hate the film in your mind, you sit in the movie theater and try to enjoy it on the basis of the 100 minutes you're about to spend. And then something magical happens …

… I'm not denying that the movie could have been much better, that some aspects are debatable, starting with the presence of that Scottish Smurf. From all the Smurfs that populate the village, why did they come with this one as one of the lead team? Why not Hefty, Handy, Greedy, Lazy, Vanity for The Great Smurf's sake? They were meeting a Marketing Manager in a Cosmetic Company? Why not? Anyway, 100 Smurfs, would have been closer to an Invasion than a 'Coming to America' film, but still, the film could have dealt with other Smurfs characters. Anyway, despite all the critical aspects, there was something I liked in that film, and sorry for the cliché, but the reason is that it had a heart and some parts were very funny.

I know this word is hackneyed and can be applied for any average Disney film, but I was in the theater and I heard kids giggling to Brainy Smurf's comments, Grouchy's eternally killjoy attitude, and Clumsy's … uh … clumsiness, I could hear them laughing to Gargamel's misadventures, and his hilarious interactions with Azrael (probably the most memorable character from the film), so I thought to myself: these kids who didn't grew up with the Hanna-Barbera cartoons or never read any Peyo's albums, these kids were discovering MY universe, my good old 80's memories and probably the most cherished part of my childhood. And what was happening was the connection between two generations, I felt like a child again, and these kids were probably going to discover one of the most appealing original universes: the Smurfs.

If only for this exhilarating ride into childhood, the movie accomplishes something. But let's get back to the 'heart' comment, again, special effects are not used for the sake of them, the movie chooses to focus on one of the most endearing Smurfs: Clumsy, and uses him as a key character to trace an evolution that would inspire all the kids who suffer from lack of self- confidence. It also parallels the Smurfs' mission with the situation of their two hosts, Neil Patrick Harris and Jayma Mays as Patrick and Grace a young couple waiting for a happy event. The couple could have had a kid, an argument before a separation and reconciliation, but no, they love each other and the movie doesn't embarrass itself with the kind of clichés we would have expected. Besides, and thanks to the presence of Smurfs, we're constantly reminded that we're dealing with a child's world, that there's no need to be cynical and to care of plot details.

I know that beyond the presence of the Scottish Smurf, some would point out the fact that the characters seems not to be aware of the existence of Smurfs, so we're ought to believe this is a parallel universe where the Smurfs are unknown. But read this again, and you'll realize how futile this whole thinking process is, it's a film mean for pure enjoyment, and on that level, the film was at least faithful to its trailer, whatever people expected, it was clearly shown in the trailer. I didn't even expect a part set in the village, and I was glad it took a great part of it. Maybe I would have preferred the film to be set IN the village, well, this is an argument I would accept. But overall, the film respected its premise, and I'd rather have a good time watching the Smurfs of 3D and emptying my box of popcorn than scratching my head over the symbolism of a Terrence Malick's film during 15 minutes of beautiful nothingness.

Some clever minds would probably criticize the whole merchandising aspect of the film, as the reason to be of the film, but let's not forget that the Smurfs have always been merchandised, hell, didn't we grew up and play with these figurines when we were kids. All these arguments wouldn't have worked if the movie was a mediocre attempt to resurrect forgotten characters, or just an excuse to provide cheap comic of oppositions moments like the unforgivable "Visitors in America" but the story works, with the right dosage of complexity of the plot and simplicity in its resolution, it's not about what happens but how it does, and on that level, both visually and on the writing department, I don't think Peyo would have been ashamed by the results.

A good movie for the kiddies, and the adults who'll watch the film from their kids, or their inner child's perspective, and a great scene-stealing performance by Hank Azaria. The movie is cute, because the Smurfs have always defined cuteness, and it's entertaining, heart- warming, thrilling, and visually delightful. A cute little film we would all watch and leave by whistling the immortal :"La-lala", a tune that defines a whole generation.…

Not a bad movie but did have a problem with two scenes.

Author: Jan Strydom from South Africa
14 October 2011

Everybody could've guest that there would eventually be a live action version of the beloved cartoon series THE SMURFS and here it is and I saw it in 3D.

Now, this wasn't really a bad movie but I did have a problem with two scenes in this film, one being where Gargamel pees in an ice bucket and the other where Gargamel cast a spell on an old woman and she become younger and her boobs get bigger, this to me was rather unacceptable, because this is a kids movie and this type of humor does not appeal to the target audience and even less to fans of the original cartoon series, because the series wasn't known for this type of humor so why would the film makers see the need for it?.

This film does have its funny moments despite the two scenes but I would have taken the storyline in a different direction, I would've made it more of an adventure story that took place in the Smurfs own world instead of ours and I would've added more of the characters from the series like Jokey, Grand pa Smurf, Lazy and others that I can't think of right now, and I know how to make laugh without resorting to crewed humor and I would add some new characters to bring something new to the formula.

Overall, if this film had done all the things I would've done or more or less, then it would've been way better and as for the two scenes I would tell the film makers that this type of humor is unacceptable for a kids movie and for an adaptation of a popular series that was never known for it.

Much, much better than the reviews here!

Author: Fizgig777 from United States
24 September 2011

I don't understand what people who gave this movie such negative reviews were expecting... It's an ANIMATED movie, for pete's sake, not real life. Sure there will be goofs, etc., but, again, it's supposed to be for entertainment, not for picking apart 1 frame rate at a time.

The best thing about this movie was the superb animation work on the Smurfs themselves. The cat, not so much, but the Smurfs themselves were flawless. They're also adorable =) As far as the plot goes... Yeah, not the best, but, again, this is an animated movie based on a cartoon and I don't think anyone should be expecting plausible story lines.... These types of movies are supposed to entertain. The Smurfs are certainly that =) Quite a few comedic moments and lines keep the movie moving right along. I think the movie has appeal for both kids and adults -- though young kids may not be able to follow the whole Anjelou part of the plot. But, the action in the movie should keep a normal kid, with a normal attention span, watching and interested. There is also a positive message & lesson{s} to be gleaned from the plot for kids.

The only thing I really didn't like were the parts of the plot dealing directly with the Anjelou CEO and her direct staff -- not NP Harris' character. They were just so obnoxiously arrogant that I couldn't root for any kind of good outcome for them -- was waiting and hoping for something to fall on the *bleep*. Just couldn't root for NP Harris' character to be able to salvage his job with the company either --- kept hoping he'd end up getting the boot so he could find someone normal to work for.

SO, all in all, don't let the negative reviews here keep you from giving this movie a look-see. It's a fun, lighthearted family movie. Great for adults who remember the Smurfs cartoons from their childhoods, especially =)

Great Adaptation, an Smurfs Spirit faithful

Author: Elias Sader (esader)
19 September 2011

I don't have any children of my own, but I am a big child myself. Born in the 80s and having grown up watching The Smurfs cartoon on television I was really looking forward to seeing The Smurfs on the big screen and for me it didn't disappoint.

This movie has got so many awful reviews but let's be honest, it was never going to win an Oscar but it can win the hearts of people who want to enjoy a lighthearted movie with silly giggles along the way.

The Smurfs stayed true to their cute and happy selves throughout, and the voices of the characters were extremely well suited.

I had a lot of fun watching this movie and would definitely recommend it.

Wanna spend a nice time .. go for it :)

Author: lamiaa-basyoni from Cairo
14 September 2011

Remember the funny smurfs from your childhood, and their continuous running from the idiot evil wizard Gargamel and his cat!! Well, this is what you should expect from this movie, the only difference is that the chasing thing is not happening in the Enchanted Forest, but in NY instead, and a nice young couple gets involved in it. Trying to get back home, getting ride of Gargamel, and survive in the dangerous world of humans.. this is it!. Of course The 3D experience add lots of fun, and Gargamel was much more funny being a real person :)) So, if you wanna smurf your self with a smurfviously nice time. you go smurf it. It's a nice smurfing experience. you will smurf it :D

Fun and surprisingly heartwarming

Author: highlandpercussion from United States
9 September 2011

Prior to seeing this film, I'd watched only one episode of The Smurfs' TV show. That being said, I wasn't sure what to expect from a Hollywood film adaptation, but was pleasantly surprised.

On a technical note, the actors portraying the Smurfs were perfectly cast. From Katy Perry to the legendary Jonathan Winters, each actor excelled in their role. I greatly hope they all return for the sequel.

While the premise is a bit fantastic, the creative team did an excellent job of humanizing the Smurfs. They deal with everyday problems just like humans: fear, family tension, and desire for acceptance. Furthermore, there's a very nice emphasis on parental concerns, mainly through dialogue between Neil Patrick Harris and Papa Smurf.

Laugh out loud funny one moment, sweet and touching the next, The Smurfs is a winner as far as family cinema is concerned.