IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Great Animation

Author: saviouz from Turkiye
26 May 2012

Smurfs is a really successful combination of an animation and action film. since I can't remember much about the cartoon versions of Gargamel and the cat, Azrael, I'll just be judging the film. For a movie made by the maker of the awkward Scooby-Doo movie, this movie's actually cool. First, we have the accuracies to the comics. The Smurfs perfectly reflect the personalities that their names.. Hence, the whole movie's about Papa Smurf keeping Clumsy isolated, as he accidentally led him, and the other central characters (plus the villains), into our world. This is where the second conflict plays. The two main human characters, Patrick and Grace Winslow, are expecting parents, as Patrick tries at work to protect his new job as "Marketing VP", while temporarily letting the Smurfs stay at his place. Clumsy ends up being the icing on the cake. And finally, this movie is filled with funny moments... I still wonder why it ends up being so this time. Now, this concludes my review. I still wonder why the critics didn't like this film.

more for kids

Author: MLDinTN from TN
9 April 2012

I can barely remember watching the Smurfs when I was a kid, so it's been many years since I've seen anything about them. They are back in this movie, but it's definitely geared for 10 year olds. In the movie, Clumsy gets sucked through a portal into present day New York City. 5 other smurfs follow to get him back, plus the evil wizard, Gargamel and his cat Azarel. There helped by a couple, Patrick and Grace, in order to get back to their world. So, there's some cute jokes, but like I said, it's more for kids. Gargamle and his cat was the best part, and they should of had him using more spells that lead to disaster. I liked how they used computer effects to give the cat crazy faces and expressions.

FINAL VERDICT: If you are over 13, skip it.

Average family movie that actually keeps true to the Smurfs

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
26 February 2012

Having read a few of the comic books about the Smurfs when I grew up watching the new movie was a given. I had also figured out that the Smurfs would be a family movie with all that it entitles. And I was right. It is harmless fun, rather goofy in fact. Some characters are a little too stereotypical and simple, ironically I found that Gargamel (the one not named for his trait) to be the one most afflicted, just there for comic effect. But since knowing it is a family movie, that's OK. Even though I personally would have preferred a little more edge in the jokes, a little darker story. Now it is very simple and straight forward.

What really bothers me though, is that it is an adventure in 3D. It is far too obvious (even though I watched in "2D") that the movie makers has put most of the focus on the "in 3D" part instead of adventure. It is evident in the first scene and confirmed throughout the entire move. The predominant thought must have been "What can happen that leads to cool 3D-effects" instead of "How can the effects augment our adventure". In my opinion, story and adventure should come first, not the effects. In this movie I'm sure it was the other way around. The story is decent though, even if simple, full of clichés and predictable. But OK.

The casting directors have found good voices for the Smurfs, and I really like Jayma Mays and Neill Patrick Harris in their roles. Hank Azaria is really good as well in his character, but I have a little problem with the character. Not Azaria's fault.

In all it was a decent movie. Many entertaining scenes but also a few almost awkward embarrassing moments (especially around Clumsy Smurf who sometimes is just too much). It did a rather good job to live up to my memories of the Smurf though, and that what's it is about most, for us adults anyway.

Bleh...

Author: Robert from United States
25 February 2012

I heard bad reviews when it first came out. Then I finally get the DVD.

Um... yeah. I never grew up with the smurfs cartoons, yet I just feel that they didn't stay true to the characters. Okay, fine this is a kid's show so it can't be bad with naughty stuff. But Elmo's Grouch land has a better villain actor than this guy. Unless he was told to make fun of all bad guys from children's shows, in that case he was spot on.

The plot was just the same as almost any plot dealing with computer generated characters and the real world. It's always some busy city like New York, it's always some family that's either having issues or otherwise has something wrong where, when the characters come, they are unable to handle it. Suddenly the general public is evil and hates the characters.

Then in the end everyone is happy and somehow some fictional characters have changed the life of that random family, and the villain gives up or something.

Meh, the movie was okay graphically but it was mostly meh.

I Kissed a Smurf (and It Was Only OK)

Author: sandtonvideo from South Africa
11 January 2012

A host of recognizable television series faces share the screen with those newly-CGI characters: the lovably aggravating Smurfs. For those who don't know, Smurfs are little blue human-like creatures that stand "3 apples high" (I wonder if that means the GM Golden Delicious monstrosities, or petite little all-natural Granny Smiths?). They are happy. Very happy. And they sing when they are happy. Which is nearly always. And they seem to know only one song. ARRGH!! This might explain the antipathy that the evil wizard Gargamel (disappointingly portrayed in a way over-the-top performance by Hank Azaria) feels towards the Smurfs. Also, Smurf essence seems to have some sort of cosmic energy magic qualities, and Gargamel would like to capture all the Smurfs to harness this Smurf essence to make himself the most powerful wizard ever. Whatever.

When Clumsy, the Smurf who is, well, clumsy accidentally reveals the location of the hidden Smurf village to Gargamel and his cat familiar, a small group of Smurfs will be sucked through a portal (under the influence of the mystical "blue moon") to Central Park in New York City. But Gargamel is so close to his life's ambition that he risks following them through the portal, and the cosmic battle between the forces of Blueness and Ham Acting, sorry, I meant Evil, will continue in the Big Apple.

It is there that the Smurfs encounter Patrick, a man with a pregnant wife and a erratic, volatile boss who has just promoted him, but will fire him if he doesn't come up with a brilliant idea for a marketing campaign to promote a line of cosmetics products. The Smurfs take refuge with Patrick, and prove to be a distraction (especially when they are singing their one and only song), until finally Patrick loses it and yells, "I don't want a bunch of little people running around the house!". His pregnant wife Grace fixes him with a doe-eyed stare (Grace is played by Jayma Mays from GLEE, whose naturally doe-eyed look provoked one of the GLEE characters to remark once when completely drunk, "I cried when they shot your mother, Bambi" before vomiting on her feet), and Patrick realizes he has some serious thinking to do about the nature of family and commitment to loving your family through thick-and-then, even if it's not convenient for your career (and even when they sing). Naturally, because he's a good guy, he will come to his senses and help the Smurfs in their efforts to try and defeat Gargamel and figure out how to reopen the portal and return to Smurf-Land (although I'm not entirely sure where that is).

Now, to be serious for a moment, the film is well-constructed technically, the actors do pretty well with pretty inane material (with the exception of Azaria), and there ARE some funny moments. But the film is ponderous in setting up the main action in the beginning, and might lose some young viewers there, and feels padded, as if there were an idea for a Smurf movie, but when the original idea was fleshed out into a script, it only took up only 45 minutes of time, so another 45 minutes of plot-superfluous cuteness were added on: a scene in a toy store where Smurfs are mistaken for toys, a scene where Patrick and the Smurfs bond while playing Guitar Hero. Drum Hero, etc...(product placement there, Sony?), a scene where...well, you get the idea. But the movie picks up steam as it goes along, and ends up better than it starts. The major drawback: the movie may be too plot heavy for younger children, and too silly for older children and parents. But then I have to confess I never understood the attraction of the Smurfs in the first place, so perhaps children will be so in love with the cute Blueness that is the Smurfs that considerations like plot and pace simply don't matter.

My suggestion is that if your children vociferously clamor to see the film, then they are already under the spell of the Smurf's single happy song, and they'll probably like the movie no matter what. But if they don't clamor, you don't have to push them to see it, and neither do you need to see it, either. Oh, and Katy Perry voices Smurfette to no particular effect, hence the title of the review...

A fun homage to the Smurfs of yesteryear and brings them to the new generation

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
8 January 2012

I've read several reviews from adults that basically chastised Smurfs for being a children's movie which is of course absurd. The Smurfs are meant for children. However, I grew up with The Smurfs so it only benefited the makers of the new CGI/Live Action film to pay homage to that original generation too and the reason I really enjoyed The Smurfs is because I think they did exactly that. You won't find anything too grown up in the film, or even the comedic undertones that some animation puts in their films for the adults that might go over the head of youngsters. The Smurfs is just a pure, fun, innocent adventure about the little blue guys being thrust into our world.

Neil Patrick Harris, and Jayma Mays are the human counterparts to the film and they both do a decent job. Sometimes I think films like this could do without human counterparts (The Muppets recent film is a good example) but Harris and Mays are good. Harris is of course a little better because he is a talented comedian and actor. The legendary Jonathan Winters is absolutely perfect as Papa Smurf. Alan Cumming is terrific as gutsy (one of my favourites in the film), Fred Armisen does a terrific brainy smurf who was also one of my favourites in the original Smurfs cartoon and I thought he was a little underused in the movie, George Lopez was awesome as grouchy, Anton Yelchin nailed the perfect Clumsy. And finally Katy Perry did a good job as Smurfette and it was good to have her on cast as sort of a modern day bridge between the told Smurfs and the new and of course her line (I kissed a Smurf and I liked it) was perfectly fun! The rest of the Smurfs were so perfectly cast and I hope everyone comes back for future instalments. If anyone could be born to play the clumsy and villainous Gargamel, Hank Azaria just absolutely nailed it!! The talented voice and comic actor brought the old school Gargamel to vivid life! He was excellent. Just to round it out, every scene with his cat Azrael was hilarious!

This is not even new ground for director Raja Gosnell as he brought us Scooby Doo to live action years ago and has done some terrific fun family comedies. So he was perfect and he did a great job and most importantly he kept the film clean and fun for everyone. Kid's will love this and adults like myself will have fond memories and welcome back the Smurfs with open arms. I wish you had gotten to see more of The Smurfs old world but perhaps in future films that will be the case! 8/10

Still entertaining

Author: Julya O from Malaysia
7 January 2012

Because of the bad reviews I avoided watching this movie for a very long time until today when I just felt like 'smurfing' around.

It was better than I expected and quite entertaining too. If you have watched the TV series before this movie has a little more substance than the usual run around between Gargamel and the smurfs.

There are a few very familiar faces here especially with the success of some TV series. And it's a pleasure to see them playing roles other than what we know them to be.

Watch it without too much expectations and you may actually enjoy the banter, spoofs and self deprecation and have a smurfy time.

The Smurfs (2011) - This Movie is Smurfin' Complicated!

Author: nickmesafilms (nickmesafilms@yahoo.com) from United States
2 January 2012

The adaptation of the classic cartoon comics by Peyo, "The Smurfs", appears on the big screen with a surprise $500 million dollars at the box office. The story tells of the Smurfs being transported to New York City, after trying to escape the clutches of the evil sorcerer Gargamel, portrayed by Hank Azaria. Then, they end up staying under the roof of Neil Patrick Harris and Jayma Mays as a married couple living the suburban life. The Smurfs must find a way to get back home, before being captured by Gargamel. "The Smurfs" is the type of movie where anyone of different ages can have different opinions. This could be a fun and exciting movie for the kids, when at the same time, it's a dull and childish movie for adults. I seem to have a mixed reaction to that. "The Smurfs" is somewhat of an entertaining film. Hank Azaria is talented for his portrayal of Gargamel, and Neil Patrick Harris delivers some talent as the "straight" character. The animation to create the Smurfs looked good, and the voice cast was pretty pleasant, especially Katy Perry as Smurfette. But at the same time, this isn't like an "excellent" movie. This movie has it's moments of mishaps. This might be too dull and idiotic for anyone older than the age of 18. But this can also be a sweet and innocent film for kids. It has some family friendly laughs, but it's too careless for adults. If kids and adults had to rate this movie, the kids would give it a 10 out of 10, and the adults would give it a 4 out of 10. So, I have to say that "The Smurfs" is a cute and sweet family film for it's younger audiences, but it's not entertaining for the more older kids in the family. "The Smurfs", in my review, "fun for the kids, dumb for the adults".

Fun, Interesting, and full of laughs

Author: nexton
27 December 2011

Good film, good entertainment, don't expect more from this film, some of actors done it with overacting but that what they've paid for. Funny weird cat, Azaria's even not look like himself in this film, wonder who he is but he's funny too. Good kinship between the smurfs and humans, good for family theme, for kids, children, or even adults. Spend your little time for this film you wont regret it although that will not make you smarter or whatever. Many people said that you better not taking your bucks for this film and thats stupid idea, they got 500 M dollars for this pieces of crap, so mind you not to see this crap, and you will regret it.

Annoyingly cheery and full of cheesy jokes but that's to be expected.

Author: Hellmant from United States
20 December 2011

'THE SMURFS': Two and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

Modern adaptation of the popular comic series created by Belgian cartoonist Peyo in 1958, which was also adapted in to a popular American Saturday morning cartoon show in 1981. The film is done in the popular CGI live action hybrid format that most mainstream kids' films are being turned out in these days and also capitalized on the 3D craze in theaters. It was written by J. David Stem, David N. Weiss, Jay Scherick and David Ronn and directed by Raja Gosnell (who also helmed two 'SCOOBY DOO' films, 'HOME ALONE 3', 'BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE' and 'BEVERLY HILLS CHIHUAHUA' to name a few other awful kid's films he's responsible for). The movie stars the likes of Neil Patrick Harris, Hank Azaria and Sofia Vergara (who's as gorgeous as ever). It's bad but no worse than expected really and is actually pretty faithful to it's source material. So big fans of 'THE SMURFS' shouldn't be disappointed; the movie delivers exactly what it promises.

The story of the film revolves around six Smurfs (Papa Smurf, Clumsy, Smurfette, Grouchy, Brainy and Gutsy) being sucked in to a vortex and thrown in to modern day New York City while trying to flee Gargamel (Azaria) and his cat Azrael back home in their village. They make friends with a married couple named Patrick (Harris) and Grace (Jayma Mays) and stay with them while Papa tries to figure out the spell (involving a blue moon) to get them home. Patrick and Grace are expecting their first child and Patrick is also dealing with a stressful new job promotion, under a domineering boss (Vergara), in which he has to come up with a successful add campaign in two days. The whole time the Smurfs must avoid Gargamel and Azrael who followed them through the vortex.

The movie is of course annoyingly cheery and full of cheesy jokes but that's to be expected. It's never really funny but neither was the original cartoon and it should make kids laugh. As far as I can remember it's pretty faithful to the cartoon with the exception of the addition of a new character, Gutsy, who doesn't make a lot of sense considering he's a Scottish character and none of the other Smurfs are ethnic specific. Azaria is well cast as Gargamel and does what he can with the role where as Harris kind of just phones in his performance. I really liked Vergara as the self centered businesswoman; she looks great and gives one of the stronger performances of the film (although I've been a fan of hers for a while, since well before 'MODERN FAMILY'). All in all the film is no better or worse than I expected; it's a waste of time for most viewers but should please small children and fans of the show. There's also, of course, positive messages including strong socialist ideals (like the original comic) and misfit characters (like Clumsy) overcoming weaknesses and finally feeling valued. It might be the best films of Raja's career!

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioQaCI5Qk34