IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Pretty bad

Author: Zulu42 from United States
3 August 2011

There's not a lot to say about this travesty of a film. I get the fact that it's for kids but even my nephew got bored with this mess of a movie. It definitely wasted the excellent talent of Hank Azaria while the overly saccharine story is just plain bad. The casting of Katy Perry as Smurfette might be inspired as she sort of already inhabits that whole "Candyland" place in all of her videos so this isn't much of a stretch and she does have a great voice with some range to it. Everything else though is way too trite and tries too hard to be cute. I'm thunderstruck by the amount of money that this film made on opening weekend and can't help but wonder if other adults out there were held hostage by their kids/nieces/nephews like I was into seeing this crapola. What a waste of celluloid. There are tons of much better films for kids out there so don't waste your hard earned cash on this one, unless you have a good gag reflex.

At first I hated this movie but now im actually enjoying it

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
9 June 2013

OK so its NO masterpiece but hey its entertaining.The story is loosely based on the TV series of the same name created by Ponyo and its about the smurfs who accidentally get sent to our world that is NYC(New York City)where the smurfs(voiced by Katy Perry,the late Johnathan Winters,Jim Cummings,and Kenan Thompson)and meet up with a young couple called Patrick and Grace(Jayma Mays and Neil Patrick Harris)as an evil wizard called Gargomel(played by Hank Azaria)is ruining their land and the Smurfs accidentally stumble across a portal.But with Gargomel and his cat are after the Smurfs its up to the Smurfs two new friends Patrick and Grace to help them get home again.

I know this movie is strictly for kids and its a lame rip off of the 2007 Disney movie Enchanted,but hey if you grew up watching The Smurfs then you'll like it. If not then avoid this one.

The voice acting was great,even Pop sensation Katy Perry was great as Smurfette and I never knew that Kenan Thompson was in this movie I mean GOD that's the dude from that Kenan and Kel show. The transaction from the CGI Avatar like world to NYC was great.

Sure this movie is silly and a tad bit stupid,but hey its not a bad film to watch every once and a while.

poor kids...

Author: unger15
7 July 2012

I'm not voting out of principle due to not seeing the movie... however, based on user reviews, my preconceived notions of the movie have been confirmed, as well as Smurfs 2. I'd be more than happy to rate a 1 out of 10, and I'm glad I don't have kids yet to disappoint by having to tell them we can't go see the "PG" garbage that film makers are defecating out these days. My recommendation? stick to what you know, the animated films FOR CHILDREN. G is PG, PG is PG-13, PG-13 is R, and R is now NC-17... I weep for our future, and hope I rarely have to re-live going to see an R rated movie where irresponsible parents allow their 13 and 14 year old children to join them.

Great Animation

Author: saviouz from Turkiye
26 May 2012

Smurfs is a really successful combination of an animation and action film. since I can't remember much about the cartoon versions of Gargamel and the cat, Azrael, I'll just be judging the film. For a movie made by the maker of the awkward Scooby-Doo movie, this movie's actually cool. First, we have the accuracies to the comics. The Smurfs perfectly reflect the personalities that their names.. Hence, the whole movie's about Papa Smurf keeping Clumsy isolated, as he accidentally led him, and the other central characters (plus the villains), into our world. This is where the second conflict plays. The two main human characters, Patrick and Grace Winslow, are expecting parents, as Patrick tries at work to protect his new job as "Marketing VP", while temporarily letting the Smurfs stay at his place. Clumsy ends up being the icing on the cake. And finally, this movie is filled with funny moments... I still wonder why it ends up being so this time. Now, this concludes my review. I still wonder why the critics didn't like this film.

more for kids

Author: MLDinTN from TN
9 April 2012

I can barely remember watching the Smurfs when I was a kid, so it's been many years since I've seen anything about them. They are back in this movie, but it's definitely geared for 10 year olds. In the movie, Clumsy gets sucked through a portal into present day New York City. 5 other smurfs follow to get him back, plus the evil wizard, Gargamel and his cat Azarel. There helped by a couple, Patrick and Grace, in order to get back to their world. So, there's some cute jokes, but like I said, it's more for kids. Gargamle and his cat was the best part, and they should of had him using more spells that lead to disaster. I liked how they used computer effects to give the cat crazy faces and expressions.

FINAL VERDICT: If you are over 13, skip it.

Average family movie that actually keeps true to the Smurfs

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
26 February 2012

Having read a few of the comic books about the Smurfs when I grew up watching the new movie was a given. I had also figured out that the Smurfs would be a family movie with all that it entitles. And I was right. It is harmless fun, rather goofy in fact. Some characters are a little too stereotypical and simple, ironically I found that Gargamel (the one not named for his trait) to be the one most afflicted, just there for comic effect. But since knowing it is a family movie, that's OK. Even though I personally would have preferred a little more edge in the jokes, a little darker story. Now it is very simple and straight forward.

What really bothers me though, is that it is an adventure in 3D. It is far too obvious (even though I watched in "2D") that the movie makers has put most of the focus on the "in 3D" part instead of adventure. It is evident in the first scene and confirmed throughout the entire move. The predominant thought must have been "What can happen that leads to cool 3D-effects" instead of "How can the effects augment our adventure". In my opinion, story and adventure should come first, not the effects. In this movie I'm sure it was the other way around. The story is decent though, even if simple, full of clichés and predictable. But OK.

The casting directors have found good voices for the Smurfs, and I really like Jayma Mays and Neill Patrick Harris in their roles. Hank Azaria is really good as well in his character, but I have a little problem with the character. Not Azaria's fault.

In all it was a decent movie. Many entertaining scenes but also a few almost awkward embarrassing moments (especially around Clumsy Smurf who sometimes is just too much). It did a rather good job to live up to my memories of the Smurf though, and that what's it is about most, for us adults anyway.

Bleh...

Author: Robert from United States
25 February 2012

I heard bad reviews when it first came out. Then I finally get the DVD.

Um... yeah. I never grew up with the smurfs cartoons, yet I just feel that they didn't stay true to the characters. Okay, fine this is a kid's show so it can't be bad with naughty stuff. But Elmo's Grouch land has a better villain actor than this guy. Unless he was told to make fun of all bad guys from children's shows, in that case he was spot on.

The plot was just the same as almost any plot dealing with computer generated characters and the real world. It's always some busy city like New York, it's always some family that's either having issues or otherwise has something wrong where, when the characters come, they are unable to handle it. Suddenly the general public is evil and hates the characters.

Then in the end everyone is happy and somehow some fictional characters have changed the life of that random family, and the villain gives up or something.

Meh, the movie was okay graphically but it was mostly meh.

I Kissed a Smurf (and It Was Only OK)

Author: sandtonvideo from South Africa
11 January 2012

A host of recognizable television series faces share the screen with those newly-CGI characters: the lovably aggravating Smurfs. For those who don't know, Smurfs are little blue human-like creatures that stand "3 apples high" (I wonder if that means the GM Golden Delicious monstrosities, or petite little all-natural Granny Smiths?). They are happy. Very happy. And they sing when they are happy. Which is nearly always. And they seem to know only one song. ARRGH!! This might explain the antipathy that the evil wizard Gargamel (disappointingly portrayed in a way over-the-top performance by Hank Azaria) feels towards the Smurfs. Also, Smurf essence seems to have some sort of cosmic energy magic qualities, and Gargamel would like to capture all the Smurfs to harness this Smurf essence to make himself the most powerful wizard ever. Whatever.

When Clumsy, the Smurf who is, well, clumsy accidentally reveals the location of the hidden Smurf village to Gargamel and his cat familiar, a small group of Smurfs will be sucked through a portal (under the influence of the mystical "blue moon") to Central Park in New York City. But Gargamel is so close to his life's ambition that he risks following them through the portal, and the cosmic battle between the forces of Blueness and Ham Acting, sorry, I meant Evil, will continue in the Big Apple.

It is there that the Smurfs encounter Patrick, a man with a pregnant wife and a erratic, volatile boss who has just promoted him, but will fire him if he doesn't come up with a brilliant idea for a marketing campaign to promote a line of cosmetics products. The Smurfs take refuge with Patrick, and prove to be a distraction (especially when they are singing their one and only song), until finally Patrick loses it and yells, "I don't want a bunch of little people running around the house!". His pregnant wife Grace fixes him with a doe-eyed stare (Grace is played by Jayma Mays from GLEE, whose naturally doe-eyed look provoked one of the GLEE characters to remark once when completely drunk, "I cried when they shot your mother, Bambi" before vomiting on her feet), and Patrick realizes he has some serious thinking to do about the nature of family and commitment to loving your family through thick-and-then, even if it's not convenient for your career (and even when they sing). Naturally, because he's a good guy, he will come to his senses and help the Smurfs in their efforts to try and defeat Gargamel and figure out how to reopen the portal and return to Smurf-Land (although I'm not entirely sure where that is).

Now, to be serious for a moment, the film is well-constructed technically, the actors do pretty well with pretty inane material (with the exception of Azaria), and there ARE some funny moments. But the film is ponderous in setting up the main action in the beginning, and might lose some young viewers there, and feels padded, as if there were an idea for a Smurf movie, but when the original idea was fleshed out into a script, it only took up only 45 minutes of time, so another 45 minutes of plot-superfluous cuteness were added on: a scene in a toy store where Smurfs are mistaken for toys, a scene where Patrick and the Smurfs bond while playing Guitar Hero. Drum Hero, etc...(product placement there, Sony?), a scene where...well, you get the idea. But the movie picks up steam as it goes along, and ends up better than it starts. The major drawback: the movie may be too plot heavy for younger children, and too silly for older children and parents. But then I have to confess I never understood the attraction of the Smurfs in the first place, so perhaps children will be so in love with the cute Blueness that is the Smurfs that considerations like plot and pace simply don't matter.

My suggestion is that if your children vociferously clamor to see the film, then they are already under the spell of the Smurf's single happy song, and they'll probably like the movie no matter what. But if they don't clamor, you don't have to push them to see it, and neither do you need to see it, either. Oh, and Katy Perry voices Smurfette to no particular effect, hence the title of the review...

A fun homage to the Smurfs of yesteryear and brings them to the new generation

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
8 January 2012

I've read several reviews from adults that basically chastised Smurfs for being a children's movie which is of course absurd. The Smurfs are meant for children. However, I grew up with The Smurfs so it only benefited the makers of the new CGI/Live Action film to pay homage to that original generation too and the reason I really enjoyed The Smurfs is because I think they did exactly that. You won't find anything too grown up in the film, or even the comedic undertones that some animation puts in their films for the adults that might go over the head of youngsters. The Smurfs is just a pure, fun, innocent adventure about the little blue guys being thrust into our world.

Neil Patrick Harris, and Jayma Mays are the human counterparts to the film and they both do a decent job. Sometimes I think films like this could do without human counterparts (The Muppets recent film is a good example) but Harris and Mays are good. Harris is of course a little better because he is a talented comedian and actor. The legendary Jonathan Winters is absolutely perfect as Papa Smurf. Alan Cumming is terrific as gutsy (one of my favourites in the film), Fred Armisen does a terrific brainy smurf who was also one of my favourites in the original Smurfs cartoon and I thought he was a little underused in the movie, George Lopez was awesome as grouchy, Anton Yelchin nailed the perfect Clumsy. And finally Katy Perry did a good job as Smurfette and it was good to have her on cast as sort of a modern day bridge between the told Smurfs and the new and of course her line (I kissed a Smurf and I liked it) was perfectly fun! The rest of the Smurfs were so perfectly cast and I hope everyone comes back for future instalments. If anyone could be born to play the clumsy and villainous Gargamel, Hank Azaria just absolutely nailed it!! The talented voice and comic actor brought the old school Gargamel to vivid life! He was excellent. Just to round it out, every scene with his cat Azrael was hilarious!

This is not even new ground for director Raja Gosnell as he brought us Scooby Doo to live action years ago and has done some terrific fun family comedies. So he was perfect and he did a great job and most importantly he kept the film clean and fun for everyone. Kid's will love this and adults like myself will have fond memories and welcome back the Smurfs with open arms. I wish you had gotten to see more of The Smurfs old world but perhaps in future films that will be the case! 8/10

Still entertaining

Author: Julya O from Malaysia
7 January 2012

Because of the bad reviews I avoided watching this movie for a very long time until today when I just felt like 'smurfing' around.

It was better than I expected and quite entertaining too. If you have watched the TV series before this movie has a little more substance than the usual run around between Gargamel and the smurfs.

There are a few very familiar faces here especially with the success of some TV series. And it's a pleasure to see them playing roles other than what we know them to be.

Watch it without too much expectations and you may actually enjoy the banter, spoofs and self deprecation and have a smurfy time.