IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 16: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Great family film that will having kids and adults laughing

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
15 August 2011

The Smurfs is a fun and enjoyable family film,the animation and the humor is both terrific,it will have both kids and adults laughing,especially with the terrific acting of Neil Patrick Harris as Patrick Winslow and The Simpsons Hank Azaria as Gargamel,Gargamel was a terrific character in the film especially with his cat Azrael,unlike the cartoon series were Gargamel is nothing more than a bad guy.

Six Smurfs,Papa,Clumsy,Brainy,Grouchy,Gutsy and Smurfette (voiced by Katy Perry),get lost in New York after they go through a portal that leads them to New York City while trying to escape Gargamel and his cat Azrael after Clumsy Smurf leads them to Smurf village,as the group of six are stuck,they live with a couple,Patrick Winslow (Neil Patrick Harris),who isn't one bit happy with the Smurfs living with them, and Grace Winslow (Jayma Mays) who finds the little blue creatures adorable,and the Smurfs wont be able to get back to the Village and escape Gargamel until a Blue Moon,which is very unlikely.

The Smurfs walks a fine line between cynical exploitation of nostalgia and embracing the heartwarming virtues of the iconic creatures themselves

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
2 August 2011

"I hated this trip less than expected" Probably not a direct quote from Grouchy Smurf but it'll do for my summary of the movie itself. 30 years ago, when I was thirteen, I still watched Saturday morning cartoons and "Smurfs" was one I remember in particular seeing every week for that season and maybe the next. So when I heard about this film version, I dreaded the result. Well, while I could see some of the cynicism on the part of some of the story of them going to New York and all the trappings that entailed, overall this was a silly (though also pretty amusing) and poignant tribute to those little blue creatures to the point of some of the writers having the Neil Patrick Harris character acknowledging creator Peyo and the country of origin, Belgium. And at least having some classic '80s rock songs like the Run-DMC with Steven Tyler version of "Walk This Way" and AC/DC's "Back in Black" removes the taste of having that annoying Smurfs theme song (as even acknowledged by a homeless man humming the tune) constantly being run throughout the movie. And adding Jayma Mays and Sofia Vegara and having Hank Azaria as the villainous Gargamel add some charm. So on that note, The Smurfs was a somewhat pleasant time-waster.

I smurfing well loved it!

Author: ken-mcconaghy from United Kingdom
13 August 2011

I'm a HUGE fan of kids films - the escapism value is excellent and much superior to other non child friendly films... I should also point out that I'm 31 so it can get a little embarrassing going to the cinema to see them. However, after the first few minutes of this film I was captivated by the little blue guys (and girl). Such a funny film!

I went in with very low expectations - but my brother had recommended it to me (I was a fan of The Smurfs And The Magic Flute when I was growing up - drove my parents crazy because I wanted it on ALL THE TIME!!!) I'm a fan of The Smurfs and have been for a long time... But a big screen movie? Was that really going to work? Damn right it was going to work!

What they've done with this film is kept faithful to the original series. The casting of Hank Azaria as Gargamel is legendary - I can't believe anyone else being this good in the role. He's very funny (albeit not very mature), camp and down right lovably nasty.

The Smurfs themselves are endearing and very cute - by the time the film has finished I wanted my very own Smurf. Where do you get them from? I'll have to consult with Gargamel so I can get one for myself.

The story is, well okay it's not very original... But it is handled well.

If anything then this film is a little too saccharine. But I like sweet stuff so that's okay. I urge you to see this film and keep an open mind .

great

Author: br2000 from United Kingdom
20 August 2011

the 3d was awesome and it jumped out of the screen once and a while the story and the plot was good too. but the smurfs made the movie so i give the smurfs an amazing 10 stars.some people hate this movie on the other hand I love it . it is unique and gives off its own good vibe.Gargamel makes the movie whether getting hit by a bus or flying over central park he will never get the smurfs.Patrick and Emily also play a big part in the smurfs because they also help make this movie special and happy.so you should definitely definitely watch this true blue 3-d mega hit rock on awesome smurfs.also watch this with real d glasses smurf out.

I took my 5 year old son...... and he LOVED it!

Author: leah-blackburn from USA
31 July 2011

I loved the Smurfs in the 80's AND!!!!!!!!! At the age of 40, I love the Smurfs again in 2011!!!!!!! I am so happy to share a new version of these magical creatures that I grew up loving with my son!!!!!!!! It is so worth it!!! I am so glad I took my 5 year old son and I will buy the movie so I can share in with my daughter (who is too young to enjoy the theater experience) and enjoy it again!!! The cast list is great! Neil Patrick Harris is just awesome!!!! And I have always loved Jonathan Winters since I saw him in "Mork and Mindy" as a kid!! If you withhold Smurf magic within your heart..you'll love this movie. It was Smurf-Awesome!!! My 5 year old son has been humming the Smurf tune ALL day!! (I do have to say that I chose to see the non 3D version I really have never been in too 3D but I see that it is become the "IN" thing) Smurfablous!!!!

The Smurfs is AMAZING

Author: Max El-Ardenli from Australia
15 June 2013

The smurfs is an amazing and spectacular movie that can be watched as from a little kid, and even to big kids!The plot starts when the evil wizard Gargamel tries to capture all smurfs to end all their kind,by opening up a portal, but the smurfs don't go with out putting up a fight. The fight is enlightening and very amusing. Sequence of events rise and eagerness is then followed by the audience. This movie is an amazing movie i strictly recommend it to parents of any age or even teenagers or young adults. I rate this movie 9 out of 10 stars because it doesn't leave me or it wont leave any one or any age disappointed. The graphics are amazing and the way the directer interpreted the smurfs with humans and a man made environment is astonishing and this movie if a definitely must see movie. :D

At first I hated this movie but now im actually enjoying it

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
9 June 2013

OK so its NO masterpiece but hey its entertaining.The story is loosely based on the TV series of the same name created by Ponyo and its about the smurfs who accidentally get sent to our world that is NYC(New York City)where the smurfs(voiced by Katy Perry,the late Johnathan Winters,Jim Cummings,and Kenan Thompson)and meet up with a young couple called Patrick and Grace(Jayma Mays and Neil Patrick Harris)as an evil wizard called Gargomel(played by Hank Azaria)is ruining their land and the Smurfs accidentally stumble across a portal.But with Gargomel and his cat are after the Smurfs its up to the Smurfs two new friends Patrick and Grace to help them get home again.

I know this movie is strictly for kids and its a lame rip off of the 2007 Disney movie Enchanted,but hey if you grew up watching The Smurfs then you'll like it. If not then avoid this one.

The voice acting was great,even Pop sensation Katy Perry was great as Smurfette and I never knew that Kenan Thompson was in this movie I mean GOD that's the dude from that Kenan and Kel show. The transaction from the CGI Avatar like world to NYC was great.

Sure this movie is silly and a tad bit stupid,but hey its not a bad film to watch every once and a while.

poor kids...

Author: unger15
7 July 2012

I'm not voting out of principle due to not seeing the movie... however, based on user reviews, my preconceived notions of the movie have been confirmed, as well as Smurfs 2. I'd be more than happy to rate a 1 out of 10, and I'm glad I don't have kids yet to disappoint by having to tell them we can't go see the "PG" garbage that film makers are defecating out these days. My recommendation? stick to what you know, the animated films FOR CHILDREN. G is PG, PG is PG-13, PG-13 is R, and R is now NC-17... I weep for our future, and hope I rarely have to re-live going to see an R rated movie where irresponsible parents allow their 13 and 14 year old children to join them.

Great Animation

Author: saviouz from Turkiye
26 May 2012

Smurfs is a really successful combination of an animation and action film. since I can't remember much about the cartoon versions of Gargamel and the cat, Azrael, I'll just be judging the film. For a movie made by the maker of the awkward Scooby-Doo movie, this movie's actually cool. First, we have the accuracies to the comics. The Smurfs perfectly reflect the personalities that their names.. Hence, the whole movie's about Papa Smurf keeping Clumsy isolated, as he accidentally led him, and the other central characters (plus the villains), into our world. This is where the second conflict plays. The two main human characters, Patrick and Grace Winslow, are expecting parents, as Patrick tries at work to protect his new job as "Marketing VP", while temporarily letting the Smurfs stay at his place. Clumsy ends up being the icing on the cake. And finally, this movie is filled with funny moments... I still wonder why it ends up being so this time. Now, this concludes my review. I still wonder why the critics didn't like this film.

more for kids

Author: MLDinTN from TN
9 April 2012

I can barely remember watching the Smurfs when I was a kid, so it's been many years since I've seen anything about them. They are back in this movie, but it's definitely geared for 10 year olds. In the movie, Clumsy gets sucked through a portal into present day New York City. 5 other smurfs follow to get him back, plus the evil wizard, Gargamel and his cat Azarel. There helped by a couple, Patrick and Grace, in order to get back to their world. So, there's some cute jokes, but like I said, it's more for kids. Gargamle and his cat was the best part, and they should of had him using more spells that lead to disaster. I liked how they used computer effects to give the cat crazy faces and expressions.

FINAL VERDICT: If you are over 13, skip it.