IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 16: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Disappointing but not as bad as expected

Author: anouk77 from Netherlands
19 January 2012

This movie is no Oscar material but it's not as bad as I expected it to be after reading some of the reviews.

Hank Azaria does pretty well as Gargamel and I loved seeing the Smurf village. The latter is what actually disappointed me in this movie because it's mainly set in our modern New York instead of in the world of the Smurfs so you barely get to see this wonderful place. The story only has a couple of Smurfs in it for the most part and I think that's such a pity! I especially missed Hefty, Jokey, Lazy, Painter, Vanity and Chef!

I honestly think that they should have just taken one or two episodes of the t.v cartoon series and made that into a movie. I would have liked that a lot more because it would have given us a much bigger view on the Smurf's world and it would have created a more original plot for the movie.

A Very Smurfy Movie

Author: Vincent Black from United States
16 January 2012

I took a quick look at some of the "bad" reviews and I can't find any basis for giving this movie such a low rating. Most critics are mad that the movie takes the Smurfs into the "real world" or complain about the animation. Sorry but I found the movie is mildly entertaining for adults and very entertaining for young children. Let's face it, the movie wasn't made for people much over 12 but maintains some jokes for adults.

In my opinion Hank Azaria steals the show as the evil Gargamel. His comments to his cat and jokes about the smurfs are hilarious. He made the role his own. Azaria, who mainly does voice overs for the Simpsons, looked and felt the part of the wizard Gargamel. The next actor who "fit the role" and did an excellent job was George Lopez in the role of Grouchy.

I never thought much of Neil Patrick Harris stiff cardboard acting and I wish they had someone else in the role. Also there was a lot of voice talent wasted such as Paul Reubens as Jokey who got a scant two lines. Other than this the movie had no real flaws other than the under developed plot.

Little kids will enjoy watching the Smurfs over and over. I assume most adults will find it amusing at best. I suppose there are the adults that watched the cartoon back before I was born who will have love/hate issues. There is no need to pick the movie apart, it wasn't made to be a blockbuster after all.

Blue fun

Author: kosmasp
14 January 2012

I like the smurfs in general. I don't quite remember them exactly as they are portrayed in this. And the movie does use quite a lot of clichés. But it still keeps the fun factor high. It is done nicely for a family movie. Gargamel and the cat are great and the humans fulfill their part nicely.

Try not to think too much about the story (which is plain, if you want to call it something nice). But going into this movie you should expect this. Kids in general will love this (exceptions as stated in another comment are prone to happen of course) and if you let yourself into the vibe of the movie, you might too.

Sure I've seen worse but don't recall where or when

Author: hrc_public from Denmark
5 September 2011

It was a pain to watch and my kids agree in that opinion. The story was bad and the best acting in the film was done by the Smurfs themselves.

The first 4/5'th part was boring and my 5 year daughter even asked if we could leave. It was her and her twin brother's first visit to the Cinema! My 7 year old buy only laughed in the end where Gargamel got what he deserved.

Apart from that the story was very poor with a plot almost not existing and actors trying their best with what they had of manuscript and talent.

The last 10 minutes reminded me of old Enid Blyton novels. All loose ends tied up within the last two pages. No need to stay around when the bad guy's down.

Not a movie for kids (some spoilers)

Author: mbrach-137-541025 from United States
19 August 2011

This movie was not for kids... I don't mind that the smurfs end up in the human world and get stuck, but have them meet up with some kids... not a married couple about to have a baby... what kid can relate to a guy working in a cosmetic company? seriously.... I thought up of a better storyline in the car on the way back home!! have them meet up with a family of kids (or orphans??) one girl who can relate to smurfette because she's the only girl, a smart boy can relate to brainy, clumsy kid who relates to clumsy, and the oldest brother(or orphan) who relates to pappa smurf because he feels he has to take care of his siblings (or younger orphans) yea, it's kinda cheesy but kids like that. Plu Neil Patrick Harris and the lady from Glee had no chemistry and the lady from Glee is just so Blah... she should be like a background character or something. But smurfs help the kids find a family while the kids help the smurfs get home. Chessy but sweet.

I didn't mind the smurf characters, except for maybe George Lopez (he just really smurffed me off)what was with him falling in love with a big M&M?? Katy Perry was cute as Smurfette... didn't need to have her skirt blown up in my opinion. Gargamelle and Azele were great.

Storyline was just horrible!!!

best movie and best 3D movie

Author: jaemiewaters from United States
17 February 2012

it is one of the best movies and one of the best 3D movies you will enjoy watching this amazing movie it is a super movie it is the perfect family film this is the best animated movie you and your family will enjoy this laugh out loud movie i never saw a movie like this if you like the Smurfs than you will enjoy this movie it is a blast i think this is one of the best movies ever made this is one amazing movie this movie is OK for the kids this is one sweet movie when i went to watch this movie i never laugh that hard in a movie this is a movie that will be more famous the later one in the year it is one of the best 3D movies i never saw a 3D movie like this you will say wow lets watch that again you just have to watch this amazing movie it is a must see for sure it is a funny funny movie it is one of the best family movies ever made it is a amazing movie have a great day everyone

What a dissasmurfment

Author: drbilli from United States
4 December 2011

You got it all wrong. This was just the rehearsal. There is no other explanation. The whole movie felt more like 80s slapstick. Like there has been no development in comedy and humor in the last 30 years. I can only imagine, that the makers of this movie were meeting and saying something like this: "Guys, we have bought the rights for Smurfs. It's a sure sell. Why risk anything at all to make something special? Let's do it the absolutely classic and trivial way, and everybody can go home with their pockets full. High five!". The only special thing about this movie was, that even they had a lot of jokes, you didn't have one reason to feel entertained.

The film is basically sloppy writing through and through

Author: mr-doug from United States
11 August 2011

It's not completely terrible. Hank Azaria did a very good job playing Gargamel and I could actually see the cartoon counterpart that he was based on. I didn't see this in 3D but I can imagine it would be pretty entertaining to watch in that format. I just didn't pay for the 3D because I didn't want to pay more for a bad film, and I had been suffering with headaches lately. I didn't want to make it worse.

With that being said, the film centers around the Smurfs escaping from Gargamel who found them in their village. In some weird way, they come across this portal they knew nothing about until that time, and they are forced to go into this portal in order to escape from Gargamel and his CG cat Azriel. There, the Smurfs stumble upon New York City where they find the care of Doogie Houser and his cute, pregnant wife. They must find a way back home while being hunted by Gargamel on the streets of New York, and Doogie is trying to not to get fired from his cosmetics job.

One of my biggest problems is that I never felt connected to the Smurfs. The only ones that I really knew was Papa Smurf (who can ever forget Papa Smurf anyway), Smurfette and Clumsy Smurf who the only reason why I knew him is because they always reference how clumsy he is, gets left behind, and I knew that he was going to be the hero by the end of it all. Movie 101: If a character in your film is the underdog, he will always prevail in the end. This film is no exception.

The film is basically sloppy writing through and through, especially in the ending. The film could have ended easily by having the adults handle all the work but we couldn't have a Smurfs climax without having them be the center of it. So they basically just have the adults just stand around somewhere as the Smurfs get their butts kicked by Gargamel.

Truly horrible

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
8 August 2011

I never watched the TV series The Smurfs, because I was already an adult man by the time in which it was released in my country (Argentina), so needless to say that I never collected the toys either. In summary: I feel an absolute indifference for those characters. In spite of that, I went to see the movie The Smurfs, and I found it tedious, repetitive and totally unfunny.

I guess that the idea of setting this film's story in New York did not obey to a creative epiphany, but to the convenience of filming in real scenarios, instead of spending money to digitally reproduce the miniature village where the smurfs live into giant mushrooms. Besides, the change of location opened many possibilities of earning money with "product placement" disguised as comedy, but that is so obvious and bulky that it irritated me. As for the screenplay, it is genuinely pathetic. In spite of that, Neil Patrick Harris and Hank Azaria managed to bring enthusiasm and credibility to their performances.

As for the voice acting, I found it adequate, highlighting the works from Jonathan Winters, Katy Perry and Alan Cumming. However, The Smurfs bored me to tears mainly because of its horrible screenplay and listless direction. I guess I could have not expected more, because director Raja Gosnell was previously responsible of the execrable movies Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo: Monsters Unleashed and Yours, Mine and Ours (2005).

great

Author: br2000 from United Kingdom
20 August 2011

the 3d was awesome and it jumped out of the screen once and a while the story and the plot was good too. but the smurfs made the movie so i give the smurfs an amazing 10 stars.some people hate this movie on the other hand I love it . it is unique and gives off its own good vibe.Gargamel makes the movie whether getting hit by a bus or flying over central park he will never get the smurfs.Patrick and Emily also play a big part in the smurfs because they also help make this movie special and happy.so you should definitely definitely watch this true blue 3-d mega hit rock on awesome smurfs.also watch this with real d glasses smurf out.