IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 16: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Tedious film with unbearable tunes

Author: Jin Maruhashi
25 February 2012

Dwelling within a blindingly colorful village infested with mushrooms, fetidly infantile jokes and resonating with maddeningly cacophonous tunes, "The Smurfs" shuts itself down into its microcosm of puerility and forbids entry to the older audience members. After bearing with the painfully monotonous beginning that takes place in their native land, we hope desperately that the transition to New York city will bring about more intriguing adventures. Unfortunately, the tedium also takes on the far larger proportions of this new setting, completely engulfing the potential for the adult spectators to derive any fun at all. The added 3D component sadly only introduced another axis by which ennui could travel. Overall, "The Smurfs" refuses to spread the hilarity and cheer shared only with the much younger viewers by enclosing itself into a fortress of achingly dull jokes and overly amiable confrontations all magnified by an unnecessary three- dimensional scope.

My 6 year old daughter laughed lots

Author: alex smith from United Kingdom
25 February 2012

In short simple, silly and amusing.

Too many of the reviews I read are clearly disappointed adults (or meant to be adults) who seem to be judging this film as if it were the latest big movie with a cast of elite actors. It's a kids film and my daughter laughed enough for it to have been worth every penny and I laughed a lot too.

The animation's not perfect. The mix of it with the people doesn't fit perfectly. Me I liked that there's a bad guy and good guys and it's a nice clear split without all the ambiguous shades of grey that too many kids titles get populated with. It doesn't try hard at being anything but a smurf story which I also like.

I've been over generous with an 8 because I think too many people have been too unfair at the other end. Properly a 7.

Can't Believe the Bad Reviews

Author: Bored78 from United States
23 January 2012

I am glad i do not put a lot of stock into bad reviews. I just watched this movie on DVD and it was much much better than the ratings at IMDb.

*SPOILERS FOLLOW* I watched Smurfs as a kid and this movie keeps in step with that. The storyline, the jokes/humor, and the plot pretty much follow the smurf cartoons. The major difference here is this movie takes place mostly in NYC and it mixes human and smurf interaction much like the Bee Movie.

The movie is mostly about the smurfs getting stuck in NYC after entering a magical portal to escape Gargamel. In NYC they meet a human couple who becomes sort of like their temp home/guardians. Meanwhile, they try to find a way back home while trying to fend off Gargamel.

I had a lot of laughs in this movie.It's got a lot of plain basic humor that reminds you of a smurf cartoon. Its not a complicated movie nor is full of special effects and fancy whistles but it will give you some good laughs and it is enjoyable.

Disappointing but not as bad as expected

Author: anouk77 from Netherlands
19 January 2012

This movie is no Oscar material but it's not as bad as I expected it to be after reading some of the reviews.

Hank Azaria does pretty well as Gargamel and I loved seeing the Smurf village. The latter is what actually disappointed me in this movie because it's mainly set in our modern New York instead of in the world of the Smurfs so you barely get to see this wonderful place. The story only has a couple of Smurfs in it for the most part and I think that's such a pity! I especially missed Hefty, Jokey, Lazy, Painter, Vanity and Chef!

I honestly think that they should have just taken one or two episodes of the t.v cartoon series and made that into a movie. I would have liked that a lot more because it would have given us a much bigger view on the Smurf's world and it would have created a more original plot for the movie.

A Very Smurfy Movie

Author: Vincent Black from United States
16 January 2012

I took a quick look at some of the "bad" reviews and I can't find any basis for giving this movie such a low rating. Most critics are mad that the movie takes the Smurfs into the "real world" or complain about the animation. Sorry but I found the movie is mildly entertaining for adults and very entertaining for young children. Let's face it, the movie wasn't made for people much over 12 but maintains some jokes for adults.

In my opinion Hank Azaria steals the show as the evil Gargamel. His comments to his cat and jokes about the smurfs are hilarious. He made the role his own. Azaria, who mainly does voice overs for the Simpsons, looked and felt the part of the wizard Gargamel. The next actor who "fit the role" and did an excellent job was George Lopez in the role of Grouchy.

I never thought much of Neil Patrick Harris stiff cardboard acting and I wish they had someone else in the role. Also there was a lot of voice talent wasted such as Paul Reubens as Jokey who got a scant two lines. Other than this the movie had no real flaws other than the under developed plot.

Little kids will enjoy watching the Smurfs over and over. I assume most adults will find it amusing at best. I suppose there are the adults that watched the cartoon back before I was born who will have love/hate issues. There is no need to pick the movie apart, it wasn't made to be a blockbuster after all.

Blue fun

Author: kosmasp
14 January 2012

I like the smurfs in general. I don't quite remember them exactly as they are portrayed in this. And the movie does use quite a lot of clichés. But it still keeps the fun factor high. It is done nicely for a family movie. Gargamel and the cat are great and the humans fulfill their part nicely.

Try not to think too much about the story (which is plain, if you want to call it something nice). But going into this movie you should expect this. Kids in general will love this (exceptions as stated in another comment are prone to happen of course) and if you let yourself into the vibe of the movie, you might too.

Smurf the makers of this mothersmurfin' film.

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
12 December 2011

Once again Hollywood decides to extinguish anything creative about a franchise, and simply set it in our world. The Smurfs have a rich history, but here they are just fish out of water in New York. Yes, you have seen this film before. What's most annoying is that it starts promising. In the land of the Smurfs, with Gargamel even referring to the past by calling Smurfette a traitor, it seemed as though they would be faithful. This is soon dropped for terrible jokes, inexplicable pop culture references, and product placement. Sometimes they even combine all three. For example, The Smurfs hide next to an advertisement for The Blue Man Group, and later for Blu Ray Discs. HAHAHAHAHAHA Bloomin' HA. The pop culture jokes are just absurd. Sure, this is a kids film, so children are supposed to add up that Katy Perry is doing the voice of Smurfette and she just referenced one of her own songs. Are we supposed to think that these characters have seen Brokeback Mountain and Braveheart? It's great to see that Hollywood has a Scottish character that simply must yell out "Freedom". Braveheart is 15 years old for Christ's sake. It even has plot points that are suddenly dropped. Nothing comes of Gargamel de-ageing an elderly woman. Nor of him being in prison. He just gets out and wastes a few minutes of a lengthy running time. Neil Patrick Harris looks bored, but at least tries to insert some form of comedy. In the only decent parts of mixing our world with The Smurfs' he questions how they are named and why they continually use Smurf as a verb and an adjective. Stupid on all accounts. Though I did love Azrael and Azaria tried to do something with this tripe.

Sure I've seen worse but don't recall where or when

Author: hrc_public from Denmark
5 September 2011

It was a pain to watch and my kids agree in that opinion. The story was bad and the best acting in the film was done by the Smurfs themselves.

The first 4/5'th part was boring and my 5 year daughter even asked if we could leave. It was her and her twin brother's first visit to the Cinema! My 7 year old buy only laughed in the end where Gargamel got what he deserved.

Apart from that the story was very poor with a plot almost not existing and actors trying their best with what they had of manuscript and talent.

The last 10 minutes reminded me of old Enid Blyton novels. All loose ends tied up within the last two pages. No need to stay around when the bad guy's down.

Not a movie for kids (some spoilers)

Author: mbrach-137-541025 from United States
19 August 2011

This movie was not for kids... I don't mind that the smurfs end up in the human world and get stuck, but have them meet up with some kids... not a married couple about to have a baby... what kid can relate to a guy working in a cosmetic company? seriously.... I thought up of a better storyline in the car on the way back home!! have them meet up with a family of kids (or orphans??) one girl who can relate to smurfette because she's the only girl, a smart boy can relate to brainy, clumsy kid who relates to clumsy, and the oldest brother(or orphan) who relates to pappa smurf because he feels he has to take care of his siblings (or younger orphans) yea, it's kinda cheesy but kids like that. Plu Neil Patrick Harris and the lady from Glee had no chemistry and the lady from Glee is just so Blah... she should be like a background character or something. But smurfs help the kids find a family while the kids help the smurfs get home. Chessy but sweet.

I didn't mind the smurf characters, except for maybe George Lopez (he just really smurffed me off)what was with him falling in love with a big M&M?? Katy Perry was cute as Smurfette... didn't need to have her skirt blown up in my opinion. Gargamelle and Azele were great.

Storyline was just horrible!!!

Disappointing and Lacklustre

Author: C-Rex from United Kingdom
6 June 2012

I wasn't expecting much when I first watched the Smurfs, judging by the recent trend of making CGI movies about fairly old cartoons e.g.: Scooby Doo, Garfield. For a start the Smurfs themselves have been completely redesigned: they look more realistic, and although it may not be necessary a bad thing, I still don't like the fact they gave blue irises to their eyes instead of just black pupils.

Another thing I didn't like is that the majority of the film is set in NEW YORK. If this is a film about The Smurfs, why isn't it set in the Smurf world involving their adventures? There are practically hundreds of scenarios the film could have been based on, but it is obvious that they chose New York to fit as many human characters into the movie as possible (excluding Gargamel), and to avoid having to animate an entire forest (the Smurf Village was actually one of the better aspects of the movie).

Actor-wise, Hank Azara steals the movie, and I think his portrayal of Gargamel is hilarious, although he provides more of a comic relief to the movie than the Gargamel in the cartoon series.

The Smurf actors are kind of alright, but was it really necessary to cast Katy Perry as Smurfette? She has fewer lines than most of the main Smurf characters in the movie, and I think that she acted quite out of character near the end of the movie, I mean, in the cartoon series, would she really take on Azrael by herself? For me probably the worst scene is the scene in which the Smurfs sing along to Patrick playing Guitar Hero (product placement, anyone). It is completely cringe-worthy and will make your ears bleed.

Finally, I didn't find replacing swearwords with the word "Smurf" funny at all, and the new character, Gutsy, got on my nerves quite a bit (did they really have to invent a new character for the movie?) Overall, this movie may be entertaining for kids, but for anyone else it should be avoided at all cost, unless you're a die-hard Smurfs fan.