IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A Nutshell Review: The Smurfs

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
4 September 2011

It is inevitable that the cartoons my generation grew up with are finding its way back to the new generation with the more recent adaptations in 3D gimmicky glory no less, where we had the Flintstones and Scooby Doo made into live action films years ago and others like The Jetsons stuck in development hell. This trend continues with Alvin and the Chipmunks going into its third and 3D installment by year''s end, the summer action film Transformers in the previous summers and for now it's the mythical Smurfs created by Peyo, where blue creatures no larger than three apples tall live in mushroom houses and being chased by the arch- enemy Gargamel (Hank Azaria here with loads of prosthetics) and his kitty cat Azrael.

And it's not that bad for nostalgic reasons save for the usual formula and one-track objective set out, with meddling humans in our world getting in the way for that feel good provision of a moral message to its target audience. It did feel like an extended television cartoon episode with the perennial chase by Gargamel and Azrael stretched into our world, almost always represented by New York City of course – talk about something strange happening in the neighbourhood, a Disney princess coming for a visit, and now this. A subset of the Smurfs, led by Papa Smurf (Jonathan Winters) find themselves sucked to New York City through a magical vortex along with their enemies, and it is their objective now to stay clear of any human trouble, look for an exit sign, and keep clear of Gargamel's clutches as best as they can, no doubt assisted by the inherent bumbling qualities of the wizard.

Hank Azaria really needed to pay his bills in taking up this role, as you can tell there's little effort gone into making the villain well, villainous rather than acting like a buffoon for the most parts, so much so that the CG Azrael had more personality. Neil Patrick Harris' Patrick Winslow is the advertising executive whose life got turned upside down no thanks to the Smurfs finding a reluctant human ally, Jayma Mays as Patrick's expectant wife Grace, and Sofia Vergara as Odile, Patrick's mean boss, who had a subplot with Gargamel that was unceremoniously dumped mid way. Together they form the notable human contingent to spread the word about the importance of family and what matters, which got repeated a number of times to drive home the point.

What I had liked about the film is how it kept itself canon rather than to reboot or ignore established aspects from its source material. For instance, the origin of Smurfette got mentioned to certain detail at least twice, and there was an admission multiple times that yes, the Smurf song does get a tad annoying (though when young I would hum it quite often too). While it won't have room to feature all 99 Smurfs prominently, the introduction (deliberately made for 3D with the flight into Smurf village) had common sense to invoke that sense of nostalgia with the more common Smurfs from the cartoon series, such as Jokey, Baker, Vanity and Handy, amongst others. That was the hook, and I was secretly hoping that more could be on offer, but alas the bulk of the film centered around Papa, Smurfette (Katy Perry), Brainy (Fred Armisen), Grouchy (George Lopez, the go-to man for voicing just about any creature or animal in a talking animal / animated 3D film), Clumsy (Anton Yelchin) and Gutsy (Alan Cumming).

For a kids' film it was rather grueling on the runtime, as the Gargamel-chases-Smurfs development getting quite repetitive, with Gargamel fumbling as if on cue, and the Smurfs outwitting everyone as always. The message of not judging a book by its cover, or that everyone has a time to shine in glory, probably got lost somewhere, and worse, becoming really self conscious especially with the remarks about the theme song. You sure don't get that when watching the many episodes of the cartoon series, but the film somehow drew too much attention to it that it really became disastrous. I mean, mocking your own theme song? Come on. Animation wise the Smurfs do at times come off as rather artificially rendered, as does Azrael, which is a pity since Sony Pictures Animation were the ones responsible for the awesome looking Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Whether there will be a sequel will depend on its box office takings, and hopefully if a next one is to be made, a strong story should be grounds for justifying that. After all, if it didn't engage the kids with this effort, it'll likely need a meteoric effort for the next to materialize.

Not funny.

Author: ofpsmith from United States
20 January 2014

I saw this at summer camp and I looked at my watch maybe 354 times. The story makes no sense, the jokes are not funny, the villain is a complete moron, the cat is on drugs, and the stupid running gag when these little abominations keep saying "smurf" makes me want to pull the hair out of my head. It was annoying, unfunny, the smurf characters were horrible, and the villain... what kind of stupid drugged moron is he? How did they get Jonathan Winters? Is must have been the same guy who got Abe Vigoda for Good Burger. Overall the film is not enjoyable. I was just waiting for the film to end the whole annoying time. Avoid this one.

I'm not intentionally being harsh on it. This film will make you blue in the face...

Author: Tristan Detwiler from United States
21 December 2013

Let's give the review system another try, right?

Plot:

There was a plot? Oh yeah, it's to help get the smurfs back to their world. I guess simple 'nough.

Characters:

The human characters are better than The Smurfs themselves. That's kind of sad, really. I actually cared more about the human characters, whose actors were giving half-assed performances, more than the cute blue people. That's how annoying the writers made these cartoon creatures.

Visuals:

Cheap CGI and Product Placement EVERYWHERE. I actually lost count just a few minutes after the movie started. I don't think there was one shot without a piece of advertising. (Sony, M&M's, Blu-ray, McDonalds, Rock Band, Yamaha, and more)

Enjoyment:

Nothing but eye-rolling, face-palming, and groaning jokes. It is pure cheap entertainment. It would entertain a toddler for a few minutes before they ask you to turn it off.

Rewatchability:

If I ever see this film again ANYWHERE, It's just going to put me in a sour mood. I don't even recommend a first time viewing.

Sorry if this review was short, but this film was just awful.

Terrible, very bad

Author: flipsy123456789
4 August 2013

What a bad movie! Terrible script, bad jokes that might appeal to small kids, etc. The CGI was good, but that's about it.

What i can't believe is that this film won over half a billion bucks. Why? I do not know. Kids? Families?

The acting is mediocre, even if it includes talented actors like Neil Patrick Harris. The voice-acting was One of the worst i have seen. Gargamel( Hank Azarias's character) was very cheesy and dull and not funny at all. He was a complete idiot.

The screenplay! Extremely predictable and lazy. The script made me wanna cry. Besides, why couldn't they just have made the movie in Smurfland or whatever instead of the real world. The movie would have probably been better!

And the plot! Just bad. Cheesy, clichéd and really dumb. This movie will appeal to small kids, but parents and adults, please don't watch. Waste of time and money. So, in a nutshell, this movie had a dumb and cheesy plot, a screenplay and script that looks like it was made by a 5 year old, mediocre acting, terrible voices, jokes extremely bad, and a terrible premise.

The only good thing was the CGI.

The Smurfs is AMAZING

Author: Max El-Ardenli from Australia
15 June 2013

The smurfs is an amazing and spectacular movie that can be watched as from a little kid, and even to big kids!The plot starts when the evil wizard Gargamel tries to capture all smurfs to end all their kind,by opening up a portal, but the smurfs don't go with out putting up a fight. The fight is enlightening and very amusing. Sequence of events rise and eagerness is then followed by the audience. This movie is an amazing movie i strictly recommend it to parents of any age or even teenagers or young adults. I rate this movie 9 out of 10 stars because it doesn't leave me or it wont leave any one or any age disappointed. The graphics are amazing and the way the directer interpreted the smurfs with humans and a man made environment is astonishing and this movie if a definitely must see movie. :D

The Smurfs has great special effects but misses out the plot

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
6 June 2013

ill say it again,i hate critics with a passion,they should disappear from the world map,a regular person don't look at a review or blogs like nutshell review or roger ebert to see a film,.you see all the positive vibe spread by people for smurfs is fake & ridiculous.

the plot goes as smurfs get chased by a evil magician & they are thrown out from there wonderland village into the real world city new york.

now here comes the solid mess smurfs looks like they are all genius little things but actually they are pretty dumb,they get into a couples apartment & ruin there lives till the climax its filled with stupid vulgar jokes & worst voice acting & oh forget the real cast like Sofia vergara etc they all look awful.the story writer was real bad.

this is a movie for kids it should have remained animated as real smurfs classic.Hollywood just ruined it.there is a similar movie called enchanted 2007 which shares the same situations as shown here.

i am sorry but real fans of smurf will be disappointed Skipp this film at all costs.my rating is 2/10 for only great effects

Fantastic

Author: Grade Two Class from Singapore
11 March 2013

Smurfs 1 Setting In a forest and New York in modern times but in the forest it looks old. There is a evil wizard. Plot The smurfs village was in danger. But clumsy went to a sign saying "GO THIS WAY" But he tripped it said "DO NOT GO THIS WAY" clumsy was in danger and he almost fell in the fall. The smurfs made a smurfs bridge but it was too late ! Because the blue moon rises and it was windy but they got a stick but Gagamel, the evil wizard was holding it the only choice was to go to New york so they flew to New york by the wind in the hole. They twirled side to side through the holes and they arrived at the city. They were worried! Then they got kidnapped then clumsy fell in a box and then they met a man called Patrick. Soon they arrived at New York but the smurfs didn't know the city. Favourite part When they went home. And clumsy was a hero to Patrick's wife and papa were proud .and then they said bye to New york. Gramamel was just in New york for the rest of his life. Recommendation I think someone will like this because it's funny and fun adventures. A. Age 7 This movie review was submitted as part of a class project where we learnt about writing book reviews and movie reviews. We hope it is useful for you.

The Smurfs are Great!

Author: ZalmanAran
24 March 2012

I would like to recommend the movie "The Smurfs". In this movie the actors share the screen with cartoon characters. The movie is in 3D.

The movie occurs at the Smurf's village in the Middle Ages, when one of the smurfs called "Clumsy" is being chased by the evil sorcerer Gargamenl. Clumsy is running into a magic waterfall and arrives in present day New York.

The Smurfs go after him in order to save him and get into the waterfall too. I liked it very much because of the plot, the 3D effects, and the famous actors. I rate this movie a 9 out of 10 because I enjoyed it so much and think that anyone who watches it will love it as well.

Tedious film with unbearable tunes

Author: Jin Maruhashi
25 February 2012

Dwelling within a blindingly colorful village infested with mushrooms, fetidly infantile jokes and resonating with maddeningly cacophonous tunes, "The Smurfs" shuts itself down into its microcosm of puerility and forbids entry to the older audience members. After bearing with the painfully monotonous beginning that takes place in their native land, we hope desperately that the transition to New York city will bring about more intriguing adventures. Unfortunately, the tedium also takes on the far larger proportions of this new setting, completely engulfing the potential for the adult spectators to derive any fun at all. The added 3D component sadly only introduced another axis by which ennui could travel. Overall, "The Smurfs" refuses to spread the hilarity and cheer shared only with the much younger viewers by enclosing itself into a fortress of achingly dull jokes and overly amiable confrontations all magnified by an unnecessary three- dimensional scope.

My 6 year old daughter laughed lots

Author: alex smith from United Kingdom
25 February 2012

In short simple, silly and amusing.

Too many of the reviews I read are clearly disappointed adults (or meant to be adults) who seem to be judging this film as if it were the latest big movie with a cast of elite actors. It's a kids film and my daughter laughed enough for it to have been worth every penny and I laughed a lot too.

The animation's not perfect. The mix of it with the people doesn't fit perfectly. Me I liked that there's a bad guy and good guys and it's a nice clear split without all the ambiguous shades of grey that too many kids titles get populated with. It doesn't try hard at being anything but a smurf story which I also like.

I've been over generous with an 8 because I think too many people have been too unfair at the other end. Properly a 7.