IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

So Many negative votes wonder how many actually saw the animated series

Author: aryanous from NYC
24 July 2014

The movie is great.. Hank Azaria did an excellent job as Garbage Smell lol.. err Gargamel... love Azrael talking..

This movie is not for a 5 year old nor for anybody who did not saw the series and understood move the antics that the smurfs involved.. it really made me feel going back to my childhood waiting for 5pm for the smurf broadcast seem all episodes and never got tired of re-runs..

Is unfair to say the movie stinks when this movie is just a continuation of their adventures not like the many fail action live movies of many cartoons changing the original story... in this movie the original story of the smurfs is intact.. is just a great new adventure..

LOVE IT SPECIALLY AZRAEL CUTE EVIL KITTY...

Funniest Movie EVER!

Author: ItsYourMomma
23 July 2014

This movie is extremely funny and it makes people want to watch it all day. I was laughing every time Azrael the Cat talks to Gargamel, laughs at something, and he is also adorable. My favorite Smurf is Smurfette. Why? Because she was voiced by my hero, my role model, my favorite celebrity, Katy Perry. Not only that, she's really funny at sometimes, like when she flipped Gargamel off behind his back (I think she flipped him off, it could've been the "I'm watching you" action). Also I was laughing hard when Clumsy burped out bubbles, Grouchy shouted "Hey! I'm walking here!", and when Jokey's present exploded on him. So a 10/10 would be the perfect rating to give it.

Best Movie for All Ages!

Author: Angels_Review from United States
15 January 2014

This movie was rather amazing to me. As many people know, the Smurfs was a rather cute little cartoon a while back and not many of the newer generation really know the true episodes. I think that the movie works well because not only could they get the children into the silly antics of the movie, but it had enough mature nature that kept an adult like me interested.

The comedy was fun and lovable with things ranging from the classic slap stick to annoying little things. They made fun of a lot of things about the old cartoons including the fact they always sing an annoying tune and the way they always used the word Smurf to describe things. Other things they did were talk about the rather funny cultural jokes like playing off Marilyn Monroe's famous dress flip and mixing with the only female Smurf there. But yet, when the time came to be serious, the movie was able to get there without it feeling out of context. Never did I feel that any of it was not connected to one another.

The characters made you just want to love them from all the little smurfs, to the human characters like Patrick and Grace. Deep down, each character had to grow up in a way that didn't feel too pushed or out of place though some grew much more then others. The only one that never grew was Gargamel but as he was still his rather funny stupid character, I don't think that really made much of a difference. He didn't need anything to be a good character although there were times he just seemed so sickening that I almost gagged while watching.

The animation was pretty spot on and I love how they made the cartoon world come into reality unlike a couple other shows that would start out 2D and then try to bring it into 3D. All the CG graphics blended into the real world, only feeling off slightly as you can never quite blend them in perfectly.

The voices are amazing, them picking Jonathan Winters for Papa Smurf was just perfect as this rather old voiced character. He was perfect for the part of a leader and care taker of the smurfs. Surprisingly, Katy Perry did a rather good job with Smurfette as Tom Kane was perfect as the Narrator Smurf who they even joked about. Just so many people made the cast work perfectly and if you look down the whole list of Actors, you can see a wide variety of famous voices including Jeff Foxworthy, George Lopex, Hank Azaria, and Neil Patrick Harris.

I Liked It

Author: Muppetman1029 from United States
20 October 2013

I think it's just okay. The plot is nothing new. I mean we've seen it before in Thor & Enchanted, but it's not too bad. Is there anything bad about this. Well, duh! Neil Patrick Harris is pretentious and bland, and some of the humor is bad(Ex. Gargamel Pee Joke). But there is some good stuff about it. The lesson is good. I guess you grow to like Papa, Clumsy,& Grace. There is some funny stuff in this. I kind of agree with Spill.com. Gargamel was pretty funny. I laughed hard during the lord of the rings joke. The CGI is nice. I like the voice acting, with one exception. What the heck is George Lopez doing in this movie? Johnathan Winters was perfectly cast as Papa. Fred Armisen did a good Brainy. Anton Yelchin & Katy Perry already have a Smurf voice. George Lopez is just distracting. Is it great, no. Is it awful, not that much. Is it harmless, yeah. It's better than the chipmunk movies. You can show it to your kids to shut them up and you may get some laughs out of it. Just rent a Pixar movie instead, even if you like it like me.

La La La La La, this movie is so smurfing stupid

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
6 September 2013

How do you criticize a movie that you knew was going to be stupid coming in? Honestly, it's a kid movie and it's not to be taken serious by anybody older than the age of six. I'm clearly not, six year old so I'm not the target audience, but I did watch the show when younger. In my opinion, it's not the worst kid's movie out there, but gees, it wasn't the best as well. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 1980's animated TV series, or The Smurfs comic book series created by the Belgian comics artist Peyo. Peyo created it when his cartoonist friend couldn't remember how to pronoun 'salt' in Dutch and found a story about a group of blue humanoids living in mushrooms interesting. I don't know if Peyo was on drugs or not, but that is so trippy idea. I watch enough episodes and read enough as a kid to know about the original works and this film are somewhat different. I'm not hating the film, but gees, it could had been made a little better. The 1980s animated TV series, did had some appeal to it, as it deal with magic and the dark arts that kids found interesting as a kid. It appeal to girls, due to their cute animation. Still, the original Smurfs was pretty dumb with it's a bleak archetypes naming and awful writing. This movie had little to no appeal for me now, personally, but I did see it with my 5 year old niece and nephew who somewhat like the film. I was disappointed, it's not only the fact, that I outgrew the Smurfs for more mature films, but also the fact that it felt that the fantasy world of the Smurfs was rip apart for a cheaper budget movie with the CGI Smurfs getting lost in live action modern day New York before Gargamel (Hank Azaria) find them. There was so many ideas that could had work with the Smurf movie, if only they kept them on their world. They could had a Lord of the Ring's type of a film with a story similar to the 1958's Johan et Pirlouit story La Flûte à six trous ("The Flute with Six Holes"). The adventure involved the' Schtroumpf' AKA the smurfs recovering a magic flute from an evil wizard. Check out the 1965's Adventures of the Smurfs to know what I'm talking about. It's rare to find. Just think of a full computer animation movie of the Smurfs, compare to this film. I would take that film over this, any day. The magic plot seem tainted for more marketing plot. By putting them in New York, it's seem that they are market as a parody to make fun of the fans of the original show, rather than paying tribute to it. Why is the Smurfs dealing with a character like Patrick Winslow (Neil Patrick Harris) whom job is it to make cosmetic item ads. I really doubt a six year old kid cares about how to make an ad. That whole sub-plot is not appealing to children. Another thing, why is there a sub-plot of Gargamel getting a job at the same beauty items ad company that Patrick works in, and it's never follow thought? It would pretty interesting to see Gargamel use Patrick to get the Smurfs, but no the sub-plot was tossed away for more potty humor. There is a lot of potty humor, and lot of cruelty to animals. I know it's a CGI cat, but could they at least, make Azreal look like a cartoon cat, than a normal cat. It's disturbing to see a realistic cat getting hurt. I found it to be a bit crude. Another crude thing is the voice acting. Half of the Smurfs don't even sound like the cartoon versions of themselves. I found George Lopez as Grouchy Smurf and Alan Cummings as Gutsy Smurf really dumb. I don't know how, a Scottish and Mexican Smurf came about, when most of the original Smurfs were Belgian. I found Katy Perry, a bit annoying as Smurfette, but I wasn't a huge fan of the original Smurfette's voice as well. It was suggested that Quentin Tarantino would play Brainy Smurf, but it didn't go through so Fred Armisen voices Brainy instead. I think the movie focus way too much on Clumsy (Anton Yelchin) to the point, that he became the annoying Jar Jar Binks of the film that get everybody else in trouble. I was imagining choking his neck most of the film. Rather than Clumsy learning something or having a character arch a, the film just gives up and gave us a hokey ending. Honestly, there wasn't any positive or moral message told in this life. I thought it was supposed to be about, once in a blue moon, one gets a glimpse of what's truly important in life--and it's not always what one might expect, but the film doesn't execute it well. Was the film about Patrick accepting his role as a father? It should had been. The message get lost with all the potty jokes, CGI 3D annoying shots, destroying Aerosmith and all the ads marketing. I felt dumber watching it. I know it's a kid's movie, but this movie felt like it was for the really dumbing children of the world. It felt old and recycle formula like other live action mixed with animation movies like 2007's Alvin and the Chipmucks, 2002's Scooby Doo and 2004's Garfield. It didn't give anything new or creative to the piece. In the end, I felt like I was choking and turning blue for watching it.

This was a Mistake from the start

Author: SnoopyStyle
1 September 2013

This was a risky proposition to begin with, and nothing on the screen dispelled my trepidation. I don't know whose idea it was to marry CG smurfs with the real world. It doesn't work at all. I would rather see old fashioned pencil-and-paint animated smurfs in the real world akin to 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'. The CG smurfs look slightly creepy. They definitely don't have that childhood joy we associate with the cartoon.

There are some good actors being squandered here. Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, and Hank Azaria all try their best. I actually like Neil and Jayma as a couple. They seem like a fun duo if they don't have to keep worrying about stepping on one of the blue midgets. And Hank Azaria has mimicked Gargamel very well. The smurf voice work was pretty fair although Katy Perry is very noticeable. It wasn't Smurfette talking. It was Katy Perry talking. She's kind of a cartoon already anyways.

A Shallow Reboot

Author: Intern2014 from United States
22 August 2013

The Smurfs is a 3D family comedy film loosely based on The Smurfs comic book series created by the Belgian comics artist Peyo and the 1980s animated TV series.It stars Hank Azaria, Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays and Sofía Vergara, with Jonathan Winters and Katy Perry as the voices of Papa Smurf and Smurfette. It is the first CGI/live-action hybrid film that tells the story of the Smurfs as they get lost in New York, and try to find a way to get back home before Gargamel catches them.Raja Gosnell directed the film.

Happy in their hidden village, the Smurfs work and sing, with wizard Gargamel an ever-present but ineffectual threat. That is, until Clumsy Smurf leads the predator and his cat Azrael straight to them, resulting in a ruinous rampage that displaces a group of Smurfs through a mystical portal. New York City is their destination, with Papa Smurf, Grouchy, Brainy, Gutsy, Smurfette and Clumsy strangers in a strange land. With Gargamel on their trail, finding their way home is only possible with the assistance of over-worked marketing executive Patrick and his pregnant wife Grace.

Although the nauseating added dimension, clunky CGI and pointless use of live action signal the film's contemporary pedigree, there are more sinister forces at work in the latest effort which is beyond simplistic, with pitiful stereotypes and celebrity stunt casting driving the action. Indeed, the current incarnation of The Smurfs is a shiny but shallow reboot of all that was great about the original TV series back in the 80's.

Disaster for fans but all in all an average movie.

Author: alexfromhorn from Germany
18 August 2013

What I liked about this movie: Azrael: The cat sometimes looked so realistic it was hard to tell if animated or not and sometimes it was clearly animated, maybe they used a real cat and animations or maybe only animations I don't't know. But also Azraels behavior was like in the cartoon I liked that. Finished it: Somehow I finished this movie without turning it off and I'm not sure why. Problems I had with this movie: Gargamel: He was too comic-like in his behavior although all other humans appeared to be quite normal, that makes him unrealistic somehow or someone who takes too many drugs or whatever. It's always a problem to take someone young and make him look old, it looks totally fake. His face modifications also looked clearly fake. Scottish Smurf: The strong Smurf, I forgot his name was replaced with the Scottish Smurf who I think never appeared in the cartoon series. Buf even if not he was just annoying. Language: Gargamel and the Smurfs used different words than usual, they tried to imitate the way they talked but it didn't work out. Also there were quite a lot of unfunny oversmurfed cursings that were also annoying because it was always clear what it was really supposed to mean and not appropriate for young audiences. The Smurfs: They didn't look real, their skin, their hair, their eyes it all looked like some kind of clay figures which made them unrealistic. Setting: In the beginning when they were back in their times it looked all very fine and nice and that was totally OK but than to set the whole plot in modern day New York felt like an incredibly uncreative smack in the face of all who loved the smurfs. The Smurfs rapped: What I can say about that, you can see them rap ... The grumpy Smurf: he was not really grumpy or anything which made him unnecessary because he never started a sentence with "I hate..." Self-reference: They find themselves being comic-characters ... and they don't bother to explain this. Plot: The plot was weak and there was no message that this movie had like the cartoon series did, every episode had some kind of message like "don't do this or that because this or that could happen, always treat others well or bla ..." this movie didn't have that which made it even less valuable.

Well all in all if you look at it just as a movie without it's big back-story of cartoons and comics this movie is average entertainment. For fans of the Smurfs this movie is a disaster.

Actually not as bad as I thought it was gonna be

Author: reviewerofmovies from England
23 June 2013

When I first saw the trailer for The Smurfs, I groaned. I thought it was going to suck. The jokes didn't look funny, the story looked stupid and George Lopez and Katy Perry, two of my favourite celebrities, were voicing Grouchy and Smurfette, it just looked and sounded absolutely ridiculous. I watched the Smurfs as a child, but the film looked like it was going to be rubbish.

But yesterday, I was bored so I went on the website watch32.com and clicked on a random movie. Which happened to be The Smurfs. For some reason, I didn't cross off the page, instead I watched. And what did I think of it? I liked it.

I'm not joking, I actually enjoyed it. As my review summary says, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Yes, it has its bad points, and it's obviously no masterpiece, but it's still a very enjoyable film for me.

The storyline was actually quite well thought-out and projected. I like how they made references to the original Smurfs and their creator, Peyo.

Neil Patrick Harris as his character, Patrick, was very likable and relatable to most parents who want to raise their kid but also want to do their job correctly to help them do so. He also got quite a few funny lines in the film.

The voice actors for the Smurfs BECAME the characters instead of just acting as them. Katy Perry as Smurfette was just plain adorable, George Lopez as Grouchy was actually quite fitting and Alan Cumming as the new Smurf for the film, Gutsy, was by far my favourite Smurf in the whole movie. And I'm really glad they got Jonathan Winters from the original Smurfs to voice Papa Smurf, his voice fit his character very well.

And the CGI on the Smurfs was actually pretty impressive and realistic. I felt as though I could actually reach into the screen and touch them as if they were really there.

Okay, now onto the bad points.

The constant usage of the term "smurf" for everything, in place of curse words, verbs, adjectives and other words, got old and a bit annoying quite quickly.

Not every joke in the movie was funny, some were very childish and silly. But I can't blame them for being like that, seeing how it is a film for kids. But one joke I KNEW would happen was when Patrick tells them to stop saying "smurf" for everything and angrily blurts out "Smurf, smurf-ity, smurf, smurf, smurf!", to which Gutsy replies by telling him to watch his mouth. And when it happened, I didn't laugh.

Hank Azaria and Jayma Mays' acting wasn't all that good in the film. Jayma Mays overacted her facial expressions and word projections a lot of the time. I understood she was having fun with her character part, but they could've at least picked a better actress.

And Hank Azaria overacting quite a lot in his performance, but that was a trait of the original character Gargamel so I suppose that's a positive. But he wasn't always funny when he tried to be. I will admit, however, his makeup was pretty cool. Despite his flaws, he looks exactly like Gargamel from the original series.

And finally, the CGI effects on Gargamel's cat, Azrael were very bad. It looked like something even a toddler could've animated, it just didn't at all look realistic. There were times when it did, but that's when it was acting like a normal cat. When it was acting goofy, "funny" or laughing, not so much.

But overall though, I really enjoyed this film. It has its weak points, but that doesn't stop me from liking it. And I'm actually looking forward to the sequel coming out. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

:-)

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
24 September 2011

Anyone who remembers the Smurfs as a kid (as I do) would want to see this movie. It wasn't great, but I didn't think it was as bad as everyone says it was. Just don't go to the movie with high expectations or expecting to see a classic or an Oscar movie, sit back and relax, and you will enjoy this. I guarantee. The best part of this movie was Hank Azaria's performance as Gargamel. Clumsy accidentally leads him to the Smurfs' village, and he chases a few of them thru a portal into New York City's Central Park, and then follows them there. Papa Smurf and company wind up with an expectant couple who surprisingly have never heard of them. The father (Neil Patrick Harris of TV fame) googles them to learn more about them. He is a business and advertising executive with an important deadline, and our little blue heroes are totally mystified about his job and our world, about as much as he is about theirs. They all learn from each other, of course. My favorite scenes are the ones in the toy store and where Papa Smurf teaches Harris about how to be a leader and a father. The scenes with Clumsy in our world are great too. Take your kids to see this-they will enjoy it the most! ** 1/2 out of ****