IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Tedious film with unbearable tunes

Author: Jin Maruhashi
25 February 2012

Dwelling within a blindingly colorful village infested with mushrooms, fetidly infantile jokes and resonating with maddeningly cacophonous tunes, "The Smurfs" shuts itself down into its microcosm of puerility and forbids entry to the older audience members. After bearing with the painfully monotonous beginning that takes place in their native land, we hope desperately that the transition to New York city will bring about more intriguing adventures. Unfortunately, the tedium also takes on the far larger proportions of this new setting, completely engulfing the potential for the adult spectators to derive any fun at all. The added 3D component sadly only introduced another axis by which ennui could travel. Overall, "The Smurfs" refuses to spread the hilarity and cheer shared only with the much younger viewers by enclosing itself into a fortress of achingly dull jokes and overly amiable confrontations all magnified by an unnecessary three- dimensional scope.

Smurf the makers of this mothersmurfin' film.

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
12 December 2011

Once again Hollywood decides to extinguish anything creative about a franchise, and simply set it in our world. The Smurfs have a rich history, but here they are just fish out of water in New York. Yes, you have seen this film before. What's most annoying is that it starts promising. In the land of the Smurfs, with Gargamel even referring to the past by calling Smurfette a traitor, it seemed as though they would be faithful. This is soon dropped for terrible jokes, inexplicable pop culture references, and product placement. Sometimes they even combine all three. For example, The Smurfs hide next to an advertisement for The Blue Man Group, and later for Blu Ray Discs. HAHAHAHAHAHA Bloomin' HA. The pop culture jokes are just absurd. Sure, this is a kids film, so children are supposed to add up that Katy Perry is doing the voice of Smurfette and she just referenced one of her own songs. Are we supposed to think that these characters have seen Brokeback Mountain and Braveheart? It's great to see that Hollywood has a Scottish character that simply must yell out "Freedom". Braveheart is 15 years old for Christ's sake. It even has plot points that are suddenly dropped. Nothing comes of Gargamel de-ageing an elderly woman. Nor of him being in prison. He just gets out and wastes a few minutes of a lengthy running time. Neil Patrick Harris looks bored, but at least tries to insert some form of comedy. In the only decent parts of mixing our world with The Smurfs' he questions how they are named and why they continually use Smurf as a verb and an adjective. Stupid on all accounts. Though I did love Azrael and Azaria tried to do something with this tripe.

A steaming pile of smurf.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
6 October 2011

Vapid and tedious, this big screen outing for the beloved eighties cartoon characters (although the movie is based on the earlier comics, not the show) is an exercise in patience, tolerance and staying awake. With a yawn-inducing plot, achingly bad jokes and an excruciating overuse of the word "smurf" ("Smurf-tastic", "No smurfing way" etc etc), the easy-to-please youngsters may find something to enjoy but parents will either be scratching their eyeballs out or catching up on some much needed sleep – depending on their mood at the time. I'm prepared to sit through most kiddie flicks with a smile on my face for the sake of my children, but that's virtually impossible when the film is such a big, steaming pile of smurf.

Perfectly good children's film

Author: liudude_123 from United States
1 October 2011

I don't get what all the negativity was about. I watched Smurfs as a kid from 1984-1990, so I know the characters pretty well. I thought the movie was perfectly fine. The new smurfs were OK, fitting their role in the movie (though I didn't know why Hefty smurf couldn't serve the role of Gutsy smurf?).

In terms of the voices, most of them were fine, Brainy was good match (sufficiently nasally). Narrator smurf was a fine touch, though I originally thought he was Brainy because he's new and no one other smurf used to have glasses. The only voice I thought that didn't work so well was Papa smurf. Papa smurf had a more Santa style voice. Jonathan winters voice was a bit too muted. I know it's a stereotype, but there are some voices you associate with a papa smurf style beard, and Winters doesn't have it.

Gargamel was a highlight in the movie. Hank Azaria played a very convincing cartoon villain. Azrael was a little weak initially, but it worked better and better as the movie went on. I could believe that they had chemistry.

In terms of story, it's a simple story in the same vein as most smurf story lines. Gargamel finds smurf, smurf run away (to real world), smurfs find way to beat Gargamel (and go home with help of nice humans). The movie didn't take itself too seriously and I thought it was a nice touch to work in many of the classic questions about the smurfs (99 - 1 male/female ratio? how did they get their names, etc).

NPH worked perfectly fine in the movie. Half the reason why I saw it was to watch him anyway (frankly, Smurfs wasn't really a part of my childhood that I felt I had to revisit). He was a good human character and had a good crisis for the movie to work through.

It's actually more of a 7.5, however, I felt that the film was unfairly bashed, so I rounded it up. I thought it was pretty enjoyable movie as long as you don't expect it to change your life or anything.

...

Author: bjholt75 from idk
30 September 2011

I thought it was a decent movie but a lot of people complain about there kids not liking it. it was made for the people who grew up watching it on t.v. the character voices were picked well i thought as well. It doesn't seem right that they chose a city for them to go to though. i think they did well but my expectations were a lot higher. if anyone does actually read these before they decide to watch it i suggest you should but don't expect it to be for your kids and also go in open minded about the animation to not being animated. I think they should have made a movie in the smurf world before they tried going this way but I still liked the movie. would say this movie is one that you would like to see once but not one you watch over and over again.

I think it is hilarious and entertaining

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
29 September 2011

This film is about the Smurfs arriving in New York through a porthole, while escaping the persecution by an evil wizard.

It has been a long time since I watched "The Smurfs" cartoon, so I have little recollection of the original stories. With nothing to compare it with, I find "The Smurfs" fun, hilarious and thoroughly entertaining. The clumsy Smurf provides a lot of laughs, and the Nordic warrior Smurf gives these cute creatures a different than expected personality. Though the jokes are sometimes repetitive, they still serve the purpose of making people laugh. I think "The Smurfs" provides brainless fun. It should be enjoyed for what it is.

Great movie... Unfair reviews and rating..

Author: GrayLifeZone from London, England
22 November 2011

It is a great simple movie, and I was surprised by the reviews and the rating. I mean how couldn't you "love" those little cute blue people? I mean, for who reviewed earlier, have you even watched the series of the Smurfs? Everybody, actors and actress were great, the voices were perfect. What did you expect? It is not Harry potter or twilight or any love or horror movie, it is just a movie that I consider it of the few films that just talk about giving, loving and simplicity The real sham is the rating, the movie was perfect: good actors, good voices, good plot and great 3D graphics, the only thing wrong is that people want "complicated movie" .

People it worth to see it, it is a great movie, and I guarantee you will just get in-love with the movie and the characters, enjoy it .

A Great Kids movie

Author: cgrill8 from United States
8 August 2011

We took our 2 kids to see this with varied expectations after reading various reviews. There are SO many nods to the old show, and their creation, Smurfette's creation, I did not have an issue with the plot at all. Yeah take the old He Man plot and insert Smurfs, except, the Smurfs did a much better job with this than He Man ever did. They didn't use the word "Smurf" for just censorship, they used it as their verbs also. (Hey, transformers used "Slag" in Beast Wars.. what's the difference people, and Beast Wars was TV!?) At the intro we even see a glimpse of the nearby Kingdom where William and PeeWee came from, but the story doesn't go in that direction, obviously. The plot is simple, the violence is minimal, any real cursing is non-existent. So thus many people will hate this movie. No smurfs are killed, there is no blood, nothing gets blown up...well, something does now that I reflect on that. It's a fun little movie with many dry smurf jokes. Loved Grouchy's new love interest, hilarious. My 6 year old girl absolutely LOVED this movie. My 3 year old had an issue with the Smurfs not being in every scene...with his attention span. My wife and I even enjoyed it for what it was as well. No one else could have been picked to be the perfect Gargamel. Azrael was spot on and still my favorite character. So if you have the pitter patter of little feet or little blue feet take them to see this little treat, nothing tasteless here. The "chamber pot" scene was even funny. They "sort of" leave a possibility of a sequel, so bring in the "Lone Smurf" for the sequel! Almost gave it a 7/10, but changed my mind because we haven't seen a movie we could take our kids without being embarrassed about them seeing in a LONG time, plus I'm an old Smurf fan. Not much meat here, but a good clean kids movie you'll see in a LONG time. There may never be another movie made like this one, and the Smurfs look very realistic. Did we 3D? Absolutely... not!

Way better than expected

Author: Pascal Zinken (LazySod) from Maastricht, The Netherlands
1 August 2011

Being Dutch and living close to the Belgian border I grew up reading the comics about The Smurfs, called De Smurfen over here. When I saw the first posters for this film I was thinking it was going to be a disaster - there had been animation films with the smurfs before and none of them came close to the level of the comics and this wasn't even going to be animation, it was going to be half-and-half. When I then saw the first trailers and how the characters looked much like the "new smurfs" that were made years after the original series the fear for a disaster got even bigger.

I went to see it anyway because the kid wanted to see it and to my great surprise the film really wasn't half bad. They kept enough of the original theme and characters to bind to the original comic and added enough human interaction to make it funny. Having the story take place in a place and time that is completely unlike the one in the comics makes for a big difference and gives space for extra easy cop-outs to keep the story rolling.

I guess the film isn't any good if you're not known to the original series and aren't a kid, but for my kid and me it worked.

8 out of 10 cats with a piece of ear missing

Pretty bad

Author: Zulu42 from United States
3 August 2011

There's not a lot to say about this travesty of a film. I get the fact that it's for kids but even my nephew got bored with this mess of a movie. It definitely wasted the excellent talent of Hank Azaria while the overly saccharine story is just plain bad. The casting of Katy Perry as Smurfette might be inspired as she sort of already inhabits that whole "Candyland" place in all of her videos so this isn't much of a stretch and she does have a great voice with some range to it. Everything else though is way too trite and tries too hard to be cute. I'm thunderstruck by the amount of money that this film made on opening weekend and can't help but wonder if other adults out there were held hostage by their kids/nieces/nephews like I was into seeing this crapola. What a waste of celluloid. There are tons of much better films for kids out there so don't waste your hard earned cash on this one, unless you have a good gag reflex.