IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A well-recorded movie, all in all

Author: dejan-puskas
20 August 2011

I have to say I was amazed when I first heard there would be a movie about this ever-so-popular cartoon.

Some people may complain about how bad this title is, but I don't share their opinions for one simple reason : time.

Time passes, as it always had and always will and we have to adapt to a few things. Back in time when the original cartoons on Smurfs aired, not all kids stayed home and watched this ( very much unlike today, where kids do almost nothing but play games and watch movies, but I'm going off-topic here ). We have to face it: no movie based on a cartoon ever worked as good as it's original did, because of the simple fact about its length: cartoons are basically 30min long, and movies are at least hour and a half, during which time one can lose focus, interest or at worst, a few nerves. I will not rate it excellent because it has its flaws, basically poor story-work, but I won't explain it further as I have no intention on spoiling out what happens. The plot itself could have been better, but I reckon it's not a total loss, considering that this is a movie based on a cartoon; the animations are great: one could barely see a difference between smurfs from actual humans. As for the cast and crew, I can't say anything bad about them, since they: 1. Are not the main characters of the story (human does not equal smurf) 2. Played out the characters just fine

In one sentence, my review on the title would be: Unbrushed diamond. (it shines, but it can shine better)

So Funny!!!!!

Author: thosefries from United States
21 August 2011

Just got back from seeing "The Smurfs" with one of my friends, my little sister, my mom and my friend's mom. My friend, thought it was okay, she only laughed at the part when all the Smurfs attacked Gargamel. My sister laughed contagiously throughout the movie, like when Gargamel peed in the bucket at the restaurant or when he got attacked. I, too, laughed throughout, at all the absolute funny parts. Even my mother and my friend's mother laughed throughout. There was also this little boy, sitting behind us that laughed so loudly, it was super funny. My father didn't go, but, we have decided when this movie comes out on DVD, we are buying it and watching it with him. I did not have very high expectations for this movie but, after seeing it, I am thinking about asking someone to take me again! Definitely go see this, with any age, all will love it!

A cute, enjoyable throwback

Author: Amanda from Grand Rapids, MI
2 August 2011

I don't know why this movie got such negative reviews. Obviously if you don't know what a smurf is or were not a fan of the original cartoon then this movie isn't going to be for you. But for a child of the 80's, like me, I found it delightful. It was a pleasant, nostalgic treat that while modernizing the smurfs a bit stayed true to the original theme and feel of the cartoon I remember. And, in a surprising twist, the film included humor throughout that was not limited to children alone but quite a few things thrown in to amuse the adults. In fact in the theater I was in the adults were laughing more than the children. Overall, I found the movie to be very cute and a thoroughly enjoyable time. Don't let negative reviews put you off. Be the judge for yourself.

Very cute

Author: melimelo-3 from United States
31 July 2011

granted, there was some scatology in there but kids are always fond of that... The two kids I took (both 8) both got enthralled in the film, laughed and cheered on. One actually started to cry when the Smurfs were endangered. Also maybe this happened to be a particularly captive audience but we heard claps at the end of the film!

Sure, it has a classic storyline with escaping the villain and being caught by the villain but defeating him and having goodness prevail... but most stories do! (especially in children's films)

Honestly, I was seeing this film with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised.

Not funny.

Author: ofpsmith from United States
20 January 2014

I saw this at summer camp and I looked at my watch maybe 354 times. The story makes no sense, the jokes are not funny, the villain is a complete moron, the cat is on drugs, and the stupid running gag when these little abominations keep saying "smurf" makes me want to pull the hair out of my head. It was annoying, unfunny, the smurf characters were horrible, and the villain... what kind of stupid drugged moron is he? How did they get Jonathan Winters? Is must have been the same guy who got Abe Vigoda for Good Burger. Overall the film is not enjoyable. I was just waiting for the film to end the whole annoying time. Avoid this one.

I'm not intentionally being harsh on it. This film will make you blue in the face...

Author: Tristan Detwiler from United States
21 December 2013

Let's give the review system another try, right?

Plot:

There was a plot? Oh yeah, it's to help get the smurfs back to their world. I guess simple 'nough.

Characters:

The human characters are better than The Smurfs themselves. That's kind of sad, really. I actually cared more about the human characters, whose actors were giving half-assed performances, more than the cute blue people. That's how annoying the writers made these cartoon creatures.

Visuals:

Cheap CGI and Product Placement EVERYWHERE. I actually lost count just a few minutes after the movie started. I don't think there was one shot without a piece of advertising. (Sony, M&M's, Blu-ray, McDonalds, Rock Band, Yamaha, and more)

Enjoyment:

Nothing but eye-rolling, face-palming, and groaning jokes. It is pure cheap entertainment. It would entertain a toddler for a few minutes before they ask you to turn it off.

Rewatchability:

If I ever see this film again ANYWHERE, It's just going to put me in a sour mood. I don't even recommend a first time viewing.

Sorry if this review was short, but this film was just awful.

Terrible, very bad

Author: flipsy123456789
4 August 2013

What a bad movie! Terrible script, bad jokes that might appeal to small kids, etc. The CGI was good, but that's about it.

What i can't believe is that this film won over half a billion bucks. Why? I do not know. Kids? Families?

The acting is mediocre, even if it includes talented actors like Neil Patrick Harris. The voice-acting was One of the worst i have seen. Gargamel( Hank Azarias's character) was very cheesy and dull and not funny at all. He was a complete idiot.

The screenplay! Extremely predictable and lazy. The script made me wanna cry. Besides, why couldn't they just have made the movie in Smurfland or whatever instead of the real world. The movie would have probably been better!

And the plot! Just bad. Cheesy, clichéd and really dumb. This movie will appeal to small kids, but parents and adults, please don't watch. Waste of time and money. So, in a nutshell, this movie had a dumb and cheesy plot, a screenplay and script that looks like it was made by a 5 year old, mediocre acting, terrible voices, jokes extremely bad, and a terrible premise.

The only good thing was the CGI.

Hollywood Butchers The Smurfs

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
18 July 2013

One may wonder why Hollywood is so bent on destroying the childhood memories of adults who grew up throughout the 70s and 80s. First there were the 'Transformers', 'Garfields' abomination and now comes the destruction of 'The Smurfs'. I doubt this can even be called a movie as it appears to be more of an extended commercial for Sony products. If they were to make a film, they should have just kept it within the smurf world and not 'merge' it with live action America. The 3d animation of the smurfs are quite lively and cute (it's a shame they're wasted here) and their 'world' is also vivacious and colourful (which is another reason why the story should have been contained in this world but then again, what would happen to all the Sony advertisement?). The live action actors aren't given much to do as they are unable to rise above the formula. Special effects are a waste. Despite all the criticism, the film must have done well enough for sequels. It's an expensive ad, uh, I mean movie, but severely lacking in substance.

The Smurfs has great special effects but misses out the plot

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
6 June 2013

ill say it again,i hate critics with a passion,they should disappear from the world map,a regular person don't look at a review or blogs like nutshell review or roger ebert to see a film,.you see all the positive vibe spread by people for smurfs is fake & ridiculous.

the plot goes as smurfs get chased by a evil magician & they are thrown out from there wonderland village into the real world city new york.

now here comes the solid mess smurfs looks like they are all genius little things but actually they are pretty dumb,they get into a couples apartment & ruin there lives till the climax its filled with stupid vulgar jokes & worst voice acting & oh forget the real cast like Sofia vergara etc they all look awful.the story writer was real bad.

this is a movie for kids it should have remained animated as real smurfs classic.Hollywood just ruined it.there is a similar movie called enchanted 2007 which shares the same situations as shown here.

i am sorry but real fans of smurf will be disappointed Skipp this film at all costs.my rating is 2/10 for only great effects

The Worst Smurfing Piece of Smurf I have Ever Seen

Author: anthony-rigoni from United States
17 November 2012

To be honest with you, I smurfing hate this movie. I mean this movie is so smurfingly bad, it's making me curse in Smurf language! If you think the Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle is a piece of smurf, you ain't seen nothing yet.

First, the voice acting is a smurfing joke. You all remember the late Lucille Bliss(RIP Lucille) as the voice of Smurfette in the animated TV Series. However, Katy Perry made poor Smurfette sound like a w____. Yeah, I smurfing said it! Katy Perry made Smurfette sound like a smurfing w____! Second, the plot is smurfing ridiculous. Of course, you're familiar with the Smurfs running away from Gargamel and all that smurf, but this movie takes the plot to a whole new low when the Smurfs travel to a time gate and end up in our world. Oh, smurf me. I've seen a better plot for a Kindergarten play that is more creative than this! Finally, the animation. Well, to be quite honest with you, the Smurfs and Azriel look hideous in 3D. It also looks like the animators aren't even trying. It's like making Scooby-Doo look 3D. Wait....

Bottom Line: Katy Perry is a terrible voice actress, the plot is an absolute nightmare, the animation is smurfing disgusting, and this movie is so smurfingly bad that if a piece of smurf took a piece of smurf and that piece of smurf took a piece of smurf and THAT piece of smurf took a piece of smurf and THAT piece of smurf took a piece of smurf and THAT piece of smurf made a movie! And that movie took a piece of smurf, THIS IS THE PIECE OF SMURF YOU WOULD SEE!! Yeah, it's that bad. Don Messick, Paul Winchell, Lucille Bliss, and Hanna-Barbera are rolling in their graves... and no, they're not laughing.