IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

bad....

Author: Zaphod from United States
2 July 2012

Well ,after watching it I wasn't really disappointed nor excited (I wasn't expecting anything special from it...) ,but I've noticed lots of mistakes in it. First of all ,it's not really the original smurfs story--but rather an offbeat. Second ,the entire movie had too many commercials inside--Sony ,Google etc.... And besides ,it wasn't that funny at all. In fact ,it was pretty dumb and too cheesy. The cast wasn't really into their characters (which were already bad enough) and the screenplay was just bad and predictable as limited (since the beginning of the movie you can guess exactly what's gonna happen...). In conclusion: could be so much better, big disappointment.

Disappointing and Lacklustre

Author: C-Rex from United Kingdom
6 June 2012

I wasn't expecting much when I first watched the Smurfs, judging by the recent trend of making CGI movies about fairly old cartoons e.g.: Scooby Doo, Garfield. For a start the Smurfs themselves have been completely redesigned: they look more realistic, and although it may not be necessary a bad thing, I still don't like the fact they gave blue irises to their eyes instead of just black pupils.

Another thing I didn't like is that the majority of the film is set in NEW YORK. If this is a film about The Smurfs, why isn't it set in the Smurf world involving their adventures? There are practically hundreds of scenarios the film could have been based on, but it is obvious that they chose New York to fit as many human characters into the movie as possible (excluding Gargamel), and to avoid having to animate an entire forest (the Smurf Village was actually one of the better aspects of the movie).

Actor-wise, Hank Azara steals the movie, and I think his portrayal of Gargamel is hilarious, although he provides more of a comic relief to the movie than the Gargamel in the cartoon series.

The Smurf actors are kind of alright, but was it really necessary to cast Katy Perry as Smurfette? She has fewer lines than most of the main Smurf characters in the movie, and I think that she acted quite out of character near the end of the movie, I mean, in the cartoon series, would she really take on Azrael by herself? For me probably the worst scene is the scene in which the Smurfs sing along to Patrick playing Guitar Hero (product placement, anyone). It is completely cringe-worthy and will make your ears bleed.

Finally, I didn't find replacing swearwords with the word "Smurf" funny at all, and the new character, Gutsy, got on my nerves quite a bit (did they really have to invent a new character for the movie?) Overall, this movie may be entertaining for kids, but for anyone else it should be avoided at all cost, unless you're a die-hard Smurfs fan.

How is this a movie ?

Author: Vaughan A Davies (brutalkid1997) from blackpool, england
3 June 2012

Once again i'm making a review for a Bad movie. The Smurfs was the stupidest excuse for a kids movie since The Cat In The Hat staring Micheal Myers. I gotta admit Neil Patrick Harris was pretty good.But Hank Azania was a massive idiot.The smurf song where they just go la la la la was very irritating.Do they think kids are stupid ? they were very lucky to make the money they did. IN FACT THIS MOVIE WAS OVERRATED BY FAMILIES.The joke with the porter potty was dumb.The joke were gargmel gets tasted is lame most of this movie just runs on some idiot's bad brain cells.I also hate the fact that my 16 year old friend likes it and now annoys me by saying "what the smurfing smurf" why can't he just go back to the f word.

save your money don't watch this movie.if you disagree Then your an idiot

Good Day

Not the best flick for a child

Author: lalitdevraj from United States
6 February 2012

The Smurfs have been a part of history for many current children and adults today. This movie, with a more realistic approach and usage of puns/manipulation in more modern day language and slang may not appeal to all kids in terms of entertainment and understanding. As a teenager, this may not the movie of desire to watch but as I have I am able to comment holistically.

The casting for the voices of the Smurfs was not of the best choice; there are better enunciating speakers in Hollywood and that's that. As per Neil Patrick Harris and Jayma Mays, they are friendly faces to the target audience, with Neil Patrick Harris being a significant USP for this movie as far as older age groups are concerned.

With a simple storyline and a interesting cinematography, the movie was pleasing to watch as per the flow of events. From a child's perspective, the movie was a bit higher than comprehensive for a child hence leading to an enjoyable time, but not as much as some, more classic, movies provide.

Why?

Author: Ryan Johnson from Crystal Lake, IL, USA
29 June 2012

I only gave this one star because there was no option for 1/2 or even 0.

This movie is awful and should never have been released to theaters but used as an example to future and current movie directors / producers of how NOT to make a movie.... the beginning was okay, I get that I need to see what the village looks like, but as soon as they get blasted into New York City through the portal it all goes downhill. I still can't believe this was considered a movie and I stress to anyone to rent this if anything for your kids. I would never buy such a movie if my life depended on it

who is the target audience?

Author: EchoMaRinE from Denmark
30 April 2012

Well, I wish I could write something positive but the movie is neither for kids nor for adults. Kids wouldn't even get what is going on and adults may find it childish and boring. So, who is the target audience for this movie? I don't know but definitely not kids. I enjoyed smurfs when I was a kid. They were little, blue and cute characters living in a different world. There was childish action and fun. Also, what made Smurfs enjoyable during our childhood was the forest they live and all this little things they build. This movie carries the story to our time and world (which is an idea I found completely bad). So, all aspects of the magical world they were living in is left behind as well. Moral of the story, weak story and little fun.

I smurf-ed loved it.

Author: Moviefanstar from United Kingdom
24 February 2012

Even if two of my fave actors where'nt in i still loved it. Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris) and Grace (Jayma Mays) are expecting there first baby and Patrick as to make sure he impresses his boss with an all new logo advert design.

Before all this the smurfs are all happy and singing there song till Clusmy makes a mistake and gets Gargamel (Hank Azaria) to chase him all the smurfs run for there life's and Clusmy goes the wrong way, so Papa, Smurfette, Brainy, Grouchy, Gutsy go get him, their end up in the waterfall triwl, and get took to New York.

They meet up with Patrick and Grace, and Patrick isn't sure about them and feel like he can't handle them, has they help him in his work, and helps in the house, Partrick warms up to them and helps them out when the smurfs need the help. Grace loves the smurfs and she gets along with Smurfette and Clusmy and teaches them both new things.

Gargamel always tries to get them back of Patrick and Grace. He try's any way he can but each way he try's he ends up losing them.

Its a happy ending.

NO SMURF IS NOT LEFT BEHIND.

Ohhh what can I say about this movie?

Author: laura71193
22 January 2012

At my school they show different movies every Saturday at 11pm and this movie was playing. I didn't know what to expect but I never thought it would be THAT bad. But it was a million time WORSE than I anticipated. This was the first movie that was physically painful to watch. I was happy it was over and I wish there was a way I could hurt this movie but I can never hurt it the way it hurt me. Bottom line NEVER see this movie! Even Neil Patrick Harris was bad in this movie which was so surprising and disappointing! The script was badly written and I hurt to watch. such great actor doing a horrible movie so this makes them look bad. Its Star Wars Episodes I and II all over again.

Offensively anti semitic!

Author: ilikechocolatebunnies from United Kingdom
16 January 2012

This film was as smurfy and schmaltzy as i expected. And I would have enjoyed it. However what I did not expect was the unnecessary, anti-semitic negative stereotype of the villainous wizard Gargamel and his evil cat Azrael. It was reminiscent of the stereotypes published in 1930s Germany. Yes Gargamel was funny, but humour does not make racism acceptable. He could have been funny without all the Fagin mannerisms, yiddish accent and hooked nose. I was really gutted that the filmmakers had put this offensive stereotype into a kids film. I and other adults can probably see it for what it is (racism) but kids just absorb it. By the way, I'm not someone who usually writes reviews, but I feel silence may be viewed as acceptance of these ugly attitudes which are foisted upon unsuspecting audiences.

We loved it

Author: Phillip Layton from United Kingdom
11 November 2011

Don't believe all the negative comments here, I really wonder sometimes on IMDb about the mixed ratings. We sat down and watched this with the kids (Boy 7, Girl 9) and everyone loved it.

Our lad found it the funniest but both kids loved the cat and the slapstick comedy. The acting wasn't the best in the world but the film overall was great and we all laughed throughout.

How on earth this only has 5.2 stars is beyond me when the AWFUlLY butchered, terribly animated and boring Fantastic Mr. Fox gets 7.9 stars.

If you want a good laugh for all the family then we recommend this.

Jolly Fun!