IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Smurfs

The Smurfs More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A Great Kids movie

Author: cgrill8 from United States
8 August 2011

We took our 2 kids to see this with varied expectations after reading various reviews. There are SO many nods to the old show, and their creation, Smurfette's creation, I did not have an issue with the plot at all. Yeah take the old He Man plot and insert Smurfs, except, the Smurfs did a much better job with this than He Man ever did. They didn't use the word "Smurf" for just censorship, they used it as their verbs also. (Hey, transformers used "Slag" in Beast Wars.. what's the difference people, and Beast Wars was TV!?) At the intro we even see a glimpse of the nearby Kingdom where William and PeeWee came from, but the story doesn't go in that direction, obviously. The plot is simple, the violence is minimal, any real cursing is non-existent. So thus many people will hate this movie. No smurfs are killed, there is no blood, nothing gets blown up...well, something does now that I reflect on that. It's a fun little movie with many dry smurf jokes. Loved Grouchy's new love interest, hilarious. My 6 year old girl absolutely LOVED this movie. My 3 year old had an issue with the Smurfs not being in every scene...with his attention span. My wife and I even enjoyed it for what it was as well. No one else could have been picked to be the perfect Gargamel. Azrael was spot on and still my favorite character. So if you have the pitter patter of little feet or little blue feet take them to see this little treat, nothing tasteless here. The "chamber pot" scene was even funny. They "sort of" leave a possibility of a sequel, so bring in the "Lone Smurf" for the sequel! Almost gave it a 7/10, but changed my mind because we haven't seen a movie we could take our kids without being embarrassed about them seeing in a LONG time, plus I'm an old Smurf fan. Not much meat here, but a good clean kids movie you'll see in a LONG time. There may never be another movie made like this one, and the Smurfs look very realistic. Did we 3D? Absolutely... not!

Adequate try on resurrection

Author: elusivedom from Chicago, IL
29 January 2015

I've been knowing the Smurf characters since I was a little kid. I even have a few plushes which were purchased by my siblings many years ago. I also got to see episodes of the TV series over a decade ago just after I got cable.

I never thought the characters would make it to the silver screen. Nevertheless, they did. And when I saw promotional posters of the film, I was somewhat amazed. Unlike the TV series which was in traditional animation, the Smurfs are in CGI and are in a live-action film. By turning the characters CGI, there's some noticeable differences on how their eyes look but it ain't bad anyway.

What's the best thing that's applied to the film? Well here's one I have in mind. By selecting Paul Reubens to play Jokey, the filmmakers certainly corrected a flaw that was applied in the TV series. Characters should be played by the right people.

Funniest Movie EVER!

Author: ItsYourMomma
23 July 2014

This movie is extremely funny and it makes people want to watch it all day. I was laughing every time Azrael the Cat talks to Gargamel, laughs at something, and he is also adorable. My favorite Smurf is Smurfette. Why? Because she was voiced by my hero, my role model, my favorite celebrity, Katy Perry. Not only that, she's really funny at sometimes, like when she flipped Gargamel off behind his back (I think she flipped him off, it could've been the "I'm watching you" action). Also I was laughing hard when Clumsy burped out bubbles, Grouchy shouted "Hey! I'm walking here!", and when Jokey's present exploded on him. So a 10/10 would be the perfect rating to give it.

Great movie... Unfair reviews and rating..

Author: GrayLifeZone from London, England
22 November 2011

It is a great simple movie, and I was surprised by the reviews and the rating. I mean how couldn't you "love" those little cute blue people? I mean, for who reviewed earlier, have you even watched the series of the Smurfs? Everybody, actors and actress were great, the voices were perfect. What did you expect? It is not Harry potter or twilight or any love or horror movie, it is just a movie that I consider it of the few films that just talk about giving, loving and simplicity The real sham is the rating, the movie was perfect: good actors, good voices, good plot and great 3D graphics, the only thing wrong is that people want "complicated movie" .

People it worth to see it, it is a great movie, and I guarantee you will just get in-love with the movie and the characters, enjoy it .

I think it is hilarious and entertaining

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
29 September 2011

This film is about the Smurfs arriving in New York through a porthole, while escaping the persecution by an evil wizard.

It has been a long time since I watched "The Smurfs" cartoon, so I have little recollection of the original stories. With nothing to compare it with, I find "The Smurfs" fun, hilarious and thoroughly entertaining. The clumsy Smurf provides a lot of laughs, and the Nordic warrior Smurf gives these cute creatures a different than expected personality. Though the jokes are sometimes repetitive, they still serve the purpose of making people laugh. I think "The Smurfs" provides brainless fun. It should be enjoyed for what it is.

A well-recorded movie, all in all

Author: dejan-puskas
20 August 2011

I have to say I was amazed when I first heard there would be a movie about this ever-so-popular cartoon.

Some people may complain about how bad this title is, but I don't share their opinions for one simple reason : time.

Time passes, as it always had and always will and we have to adapt to a few things. Back in time when the original cartoons on Smurfs aired, not all kids stayed home and watched this ( very much unlike today, where kids do almost nothing but play games and watch movies, but I'm going off-topic here ). We have to face it: no movie based on a cartoon ever worked as good as it's original did, because of the simple fact about its length: cartoons are basically 30min long, and movies are at least hour and a half, during which time one can lose focus, interest or at worst, a few nerves. I will not rate it excellent because it has its flaws, basically poor story-work, but I won't explain it further as I have no intention on spoiling out what happens. The plot itself could have been better, but I reckon it's not a total loss, considering that this is a movie based on a cartoon; the animations are great: one could barely see a difference between smurfs from actual humans. As for the cast and crew, I can't say anything bad about them, since they: 1. Are not the main characters of the story (human does not equal smurf) 2. Played out the characters just fine

In one sentence, my review on the title would be: Unbrushed diamond. (it shines, but it can shine better)

A steaming pile of smurf.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
6 October 2011

Vapid and tedious, this big screen outing for the beloved eighties cartoon characters (although the movie is based on the earlier comics, not the show) is an exercise in patience, tolerance and staying awake. With a yawn-inducing plot, achingly bad jokes and an excruciating overuse of the word "smurf" ("Smurf-tastic", "No smurfing way" etc etc), the easy-to-please youngsters may find something to enjoy but parents will either be scratching their eyeballs out or catching up on some much needed sleep – depending on their mood at the time. I'm prepared to sit through most kiddie flicks with a smile on my face for the sake of my children, but that's virtually impossible when the film is such a big, steaming pile of smurf.

The Worst Smurfing Piece of Smurf I have Ever Seen

Author: anthony-rigoni from United States
17 November 2012

To be honest with you, I smurfing hate this movie. I mean this movie is so smurfingly bad, it's making me curse in Smurf language! If you think the Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle is a piece of smurf, you ain't seen nothing yet.

First, the voice acting is a smurfing joke. You all remember the late Lucille Bliss(RIP Lucille) as the voice of Smurfette in the animated TV Series. However, Katy Perry made poor Smurfette sound like a w____. Yeah, I smurfing said it! Katy Perry made Smurfette sound like a smurfing w____! Second, the plot is smurfing ridiculous. Of course, you're familiar with the Smurfs running away from Gargamel and all that smurf, but this movie takes the plot to a whole new low when the Smurfs travel to a time gate and end up in our world. Oh, smurf me. I've seen a better plot for a Kindergarten play that is more creative than this! Finally, the animation. Well, to be quite honest with you, the Smurfs and Azriel look hideous in 3D. It also looks like the animators aren't even trying. It's like making Scooby-Doo look 3D. Wait....

Bottom Line: Katy Perry is a terrible voice actress, the plot is an absolute nightmare, the animation is smurfing disgusting, and this movie is so smurfingly bad that if a piece of smurf took a piece of smurf and that piece of smurf took a piece of smurf and THAT piece of smurf took a piece of smurf and THAT piece of smurf took a piece of smurf and THAT piece of smurf made a movie! And that movie took a piece of smurf, THIS IS THE PIECE OF SMURF YOU WOULD SEE!! Yeah, it's that bad. Don Messick, Paul Winchell, Lucille Bliss, and Hanna-Barbera are rolling in their graves... and no, they're not laughing.

So Many negative votes wonder how many actually saw the animated series

Author: aryanous from NYC
24 July 2014

The movie is great.. Hank Azaria did an excellent job as Garbage Smell lol.. err Gargamel... love Azrael talking..

This movie is not for a 5 year old nor for anybody who did not saw the series and understood move the antics that the smurfs involved.. it really made me feel going back to my childhood waiting for 5pm for the smurf broadcast seem all episodes and never got tired of re-runs..

Is unfair to say the movie stinks when this movie is just a continuation of their adventures not like the many fail action live movies of many cartoons changing the original story... in this movie the original story of the smurfs is intact.. is just a great new adventure..

LOVE IT SPECIALLY AZRAEL CUTE EVIL KITTY...

Hollywood Butchers The Smurfs

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
18 July 2013

One may wonder why Hollywood is so bent on destroying the childhood memories of adults who grew up throughout the 70s and 80s. First there were the 'Transformers', 'Garfields' abomination and now comes the destruction of 'The Smurfs'. I doubt this can even be called a movie as it appears to be more of an extended commercial for Sony products. If they were to make a film, they should have just kept it within the smurf world and not 'merge' it with live action America. The 3d animation of the smurfs are quite lively and cute (it's a shame they're wasted here) and their 'world' is also vivacious and colourful (which is another reason why the story should have been contained in this world but then again, what would happen to all the Sony advertisement?). The live action actors aren't given much to do as they are unable to rise above the formula. Special effects are a waste. Despite all the criticism, the film must have done well enough for sequels. It's an expensive ad, uh, I mean movie, but severely lacking in substance.