IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Was nice.

Author: virindra from Netherlands
4 September 2011

I went to this movie with my 2,5 years old daughter. She liked it. The smurfs village was very well created. It was amazing to see it. But when the smurfs went to the real world, the movie maker lost the little kids. My little daughter got bored when the real people came. She asked all the time; "Daddy, where are the smurfs?" The smurfs were well created. Sometimes I missed some elements created for the grown ups like in Shrek. When the red smurf decides to take his smurfs into the portal, I missed a close-up from his face.

However, I hope there'll be a next smurfs movie, only let the smurfs be in their own world.

Beautiful movie, funny.

Accept it for what it is

Author: Ptpoo from United Kingdom
1 September 2011

I was dragged along to this by my nine year old daughter with a sense of impending doom having loathed the Smurfs in their original incarnation in the 1970's and it took years of therapy to get that song out of my head.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the film, the 3D special effects and the script (note the difference between script and plot).

OK, the plot is more "Lassie, come home" than "Crime and Punishment" but what did you expect? This is a decent piece of children's escapism and my daughter (as well as the dozens of other children in the theatre) loved every minute of it, so I gave it a 8 on her behalf. There are many scenes that are enhanced by the 3D and, as with many of the best films, the bad guy gets the best lines.

It is already on the Christmas DVD list, but don't tell Molly and spoil the surprise :)

Great kids film, brought back childhood memories

Author: Laura Allen from Derbyshire, England
30 August 2011

I thought the smurfs was a great film, ideal for children and adults alike. I went to watch it with my fellow 16 year old friends and we all really loved it. The smurfs was one of the big TV shows when we were kids so it was exciting to see them again after all these years. I thought it was a great film, not the best but I easily sat through it and enjoyed it. My 8 year old sister went to see it in 3D and she absolutely loved it! The character gargamel was very exaggerated and childish and he really did ruin the film a little bit but his cat was really cute! If gargamel was removed and replaced by a character a little less stupidly ridiculous the film would have been much better

smurftastic

Author: jami429 from United Kingdom
28 August 2011

Six smurfs (Papa, Gutsy, Smurfette, Brainy, grouchy and clumsy)head out on an adventure that they will never forget.

I wasn't expecting this movie to be good after the reviews I have seen for it. But afterwards, I came out of the cinema and was thinking to myself that I was really glad that I went to go and see it.

It really did make me laugh; the character Gargamel (played by Hank Azaria) was probably the funniest out of the lot. He was the one that made me want to see more. He was funny from start to finish. I also liked his sidekick Azrial(played by Mr Krinkle).

I have not seen the actual series of the smurfs, so I can not compare the movie to the series. But it is a great film, and I do recommend watching this.

Such harsh reviews....but I liked it!

Author: Raina Ng from United States
27 August 2011

I thought this was a great movie! So funny! Went with my mom......don't ask. She was laughing at a cat who works for Gargamel (the bad guy.) Hahaha! One joke was someone thought his named was sounded like garbage smell. XD XD XD Fun and awesome movie! So much action in it! I love all the smurfs (even the grumpy one.) And don't tell you I warned you if you cry-but I cried when Papa Smurf (the wise one) risked his life for the other smurfs! He is so gentle and wise. The clumsiness of Clumsy makes me laugh. It's so cute when he messes up even though it's bad for others. After the movie, my mom kept talking about it! I usually like most movies (so that doesn't really help), but take it from her! She REALLY liked it. Not like the piece of trash the other movie we went to with my friend. (Crazy, Stupid, Love)

Disappointing, but does have its merits

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
25 August 2011

I am a big fan of The Smurfs, so I was all for seeing this movie, though I was dubious as well. The Smurfs does have its merits, but is rather disappointing too. I will talk about the merits first, while not outstanding the 3D is quite good(I've seen far worse), Hank Azaria is perfect as Gargamel, Jonathan Winters successfully manages to make Papa Smurf the most lively of all the smurfs and Neil Patrick Harris gives a comedic grace to an otherwise banal role. Feelings on the music were mixed, nice and jaunty but forgettable soon after. The editing could have been tighter also. What I didn't like so much about the film was the predictable and rather thin story, the clumsy writing and jokes(including one inappropriate Marilyn Monroe allusion), the rushed pace and that apart from Papa, Gargamel and perhaps Smurfette(though I wasn't entirely sure whether I liked Katy Perry or not, my guess is sometimes yes sometimes no, and I liked how they explained why there was one female smurf character) the characters aren't developed enough or given enough personality to make them properly interesting. In conclusion, has its merits but not recommended. 4/10 Bethany Cox

For kids, not adults

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
19 August 2011

It took me a little while to get myself into the frame of mind where I was able to get myself on board with the fact that The Smurfs was a kids' film. I was helped in this by the fact that there were a lot of kids in the cinema. And, during this story where a couple of new Yorkers help a small group of displaced Smurfs get back to Smurfland despite the efforts of evil but inept comedy wizard Gargomel (played with gusty by Hank Azaria, clearly having a ball), the kids in the cinema laughed a lot and the knockabout slapstick which forms a large part of the comedy.

The film is technically well assembled, particularly the effects (and the 3D works well in places).

There isn't a lot here for adults, but youngish kids may well like it.

Glad I didn't decide based on the reviews on here...

Author: todizzytry from Tacoma, WA
20 August 2011

I've never reviewed a movie but felt the need to throw this out there. Just finished watching The Smurfs movie with my kids ( 8 year old and 4 year old) and my wife and I have to say that I really liked it. Look, I am not a certified movie critic but this movie was cute in it's own right. It'll probably never win an Oscar or some movie award but it's a good time for the kids. It was enjoyable listening to all the kids in the movie theater "crack up" with laughter at parts in the movie and there was even some things that us adults found humorous. Sad to say, but this movie ended up being a pretty good feel good movie and may even be a "guilty pleasure" that I wouldn't mind watching with my kids.

In the end this movie was a lot better than I thought it would be after reading reviews and I'm glad that I didn't win the argument with my wife to see another movie.

The Smurfs back on the silver screen: hit for the kids, disappointing for the parents

Author: The Upcoming from United Kingdom
18 August 2011

Now that the summer is in full swing, cinema-goers are welcomed by yet another adaptation. This time it's the live-action and animated big screen adventure, The Smurfs 3D. But will this modern presentation of the classic characters be able to impress children and adults alike.

When the evil Wizard Gargamel (Hank Azaria) chases the Smurfs from their beloved village, a number of them are accidentally transported through a magical wormhole that thrusts them into the bright lights of New York City. When Clumsy Smurf (voiced by Anton Yelchin) ends up inside a delivery box, the fellow Smurfs dash to his rescue, but end up inside a city apartment accompanied by married couple Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris) and Grace (Jayma Mays) Winslow. At first reluctant to have the Smurfs around, the couple soon learn to care for them and strive to protect them from Gargamel, who has also made his way to the Big Apple.

Fundamentally, The Smurfs is your average children's holiday feature: it's bright, established and easy-going, and certainly many children and infants will have a blast watching it. Unfortunately, it also suffers from the typical errors that swamp movies for youngsters.

The script is mind-numbing and littered with repetition, which quickly becomes irritating and feels genuinely lazy, making the audience feel that no care or effort has gone into the writing process. In the trailer, Patrick asks why the Smurfs always say the word "Smurf" in place of other words. It's a very valid question – the word is uttered in so many lines and in so many scenarios that one could be forgiven for thinking 'Smurf' was a replacement for the 'F' word: "You Smurfed with the wrong girl!"; "Where the Smurf are we!"; "Smurf that!" Even the film's taglines include 'Where the Smurf are we?' and 'Smurf Happens'. If this were here to appeal to adults, it certainly didn't succeed.

Another letdown is the animation. Considering this film is predominately live-action, you would assume the lovable little blue folk would look amazing. The brief opening sequence in the Smurf village does look impressive, but after that the audience is left with something very mediocre. This is not director Raja Gosnell's first attempt at live-action/ animation either – he also directed the poorly-received Scooby-Doo in 2002.

The film's final error is its voice casting, which is a rather poor show. Pop singer Katy Perry provides the role of Smurfette, which is rather odd: with something as timeless as The Smurfs, one would expect a more established casting. In one scene, Smurfette goes as far as saying, "I kissed a Smurf and I liked it", which really sprang the dollar sign before my eyes. Other characters have unusual castings too, including Alan Cumming, who is undeniably trying to be more Scottish than he already is. Still, the brilliant Jonathan Winters voicing Papa Smurf was enjoyable.

The Smurfs does have a couple of good points. Patrick Harris and Mays make a charming on-screen couple and are incredibly endearing, and a scene where the group find a copy of the old Smurfs comics is rather sweet. Zaria is good as Gargamel, though he is upstaged by his shoddily-animated (though often funny) cat Azrael, who is easily the best thing in the film. Unfortunately, the majority of pros in The Smurfs do not include the main characters or the focus point of the feature.

Verdict: ●● Sure to be a huge hit with the kids over the summer, but for the parents hoping for a warm nostalgia trip, you will sadly be disappointed by this baggy and fairly uninteresting affair.

Better than Expected, and Better than Snide Reviews Might Have You Believe

Author: Matt Wall from Somewhere in Soho
5 August 2011

So, with the disclaimer that this is yes, a formulaic kids' movie, and yes, it's aimed at the nine-and-under set, this is a perfectly fine, even slightly above average film. I have to count myself as a Smurf Hatah from the 80s, and while I'm a bit indifferent to the original comics (they were weird but not weird enough) they were clearly better.

What we have here is a moderately smart tongue-in-cheek post-modern appreciation of the fact that the 80s cartoon Smurfs were incredibly annoying - embracing the original characters even as there's a wink -- the Smurfs admitting their singing is incredibly annoying, and then still doing it, rather sweetly and within limits; the Neil Patrick Harris character pointing out the ludicrousness of the weird premise of 98 male smurfs and 1 female smurf and the whole "Smurf the Smurf, Smurf" vocabulary so we all can get past it and to the slightly "blue" humor (e.g. "Get the Smurf Out of here") and all sorts of reflexive jokes, such as Smurfette, voiced by Katy Perry, saying "I kissed a Smurf...and I liked it!" The plot is your standard 1960s live action Disney film, in the same vein as The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes or Herbie, that ilk, with the benefit of 21st century CGI mixed in with the live action and the aforementioned post-modern self-reference. They even work in a nice homage to Peyo by having the Smurfs read up on him (and get a solution to one of their problems) in a book about Les Schtroumpfs. And as boring and trite as that may seem to adult reviewers here, it's at the level of monomyth for the seven year olds in the audience.

The PG is largely for the double entendres that will fly over kids' heads, a little very mild bathroom humor, and extremely cartoonish (appropriately) violence mostly having to do with Gargamel and Azrael getting bonked and zapped as they try to smurf the smurfing Smurfs.

Harris and Hank Azaria do star turns, Harris as the Fred McMurray-everyman-Dad type, and Azaria as Gargamel. There's no nuance or subtlety because THAT'S NOT WHAT KIDS WANT TO SEE IN A MOVIE. Cheers to them for doing them.

If you insist on being a hipster, content yourself with trying to spot the many visual inside film cinematic quotes. I spotted clever visual quotes from Reservoir Dogs, Braveheart, the Rock, and the Planet of the Apes, among others.

And, we get a modestly hip soundtrack running from Vampire Weekend to the Smurfs doing a sort of duet with Run DMC and Neil Patrick via Guitar Hero.

So stop complaining. What did you expect from a Smurfs live action movie? I expected far less than what I got, which was more entertainment sitting with the kids in the movie theater than I had from the likes of Gnomeo and Juliet.

Page 11 of 16: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]