IMDb > The Smurfs (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Adorable, Funny and Nostalgic

Author: carlypi from United Kingdom
27 August 2011

I don't have any children of my own, but I am a big child myself. Born in the 80s and having grown up watching The Smurfs cartoon on television I was really looking forward to seeing The Smurfs on the big screen and for me it didn't disappoint.

This movie has got so many awful reviews but let's be honest, it was never going to win an Oscar but it can win the hearts of people who want to enjoy a lighthearted movie with silly giggles along the way.

The Smurfs stayed true to their cute and happy selves throughout, and the voices of the characters were extremely well suited, especially Jonathan Winters playing Papa Smurf and Katy Perry as Smurfette.

I had a lot of fun watching this movie and would definitely recommend it.

I smurf-ed loved it.

Author: Moviefanstar from United Kingdom
24 February 2012

Even if two of my fave actors where'nt in i still loved it. Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris) and Grace (Jayma Mays) are expecting there first baby and Patrick as to make sure he impresses his boss with an all new logo advert design.

Before all this the smurfs are all happy and singing there song till Clusmy makes a mistake and gets Gargamel (Hank Azaria) to chase him all the smurfs run for there life's and Clusmy goes the wrong way, so Papa, Smurfette, Brainy, Grouchy, Gutsy go get him, their end up in the waterfall triwl, and get took to New York.

They meet up with Patrick and Grace, and Patrick isn't sure about them and feel like he can't handle them, has they help him in his work, and helps in the house, Partrick warms up to them and helps them out when the smurfs need the help. Grace loves the smurfs and she gets along with Smurfette and Clusmy and teaches them both new things.

Gargamel always tries to get them back of Patrick and Grace. He try's any way he can but each way he try's he ends up losing them.

Its a happy ending.

NO SMURF IS NOT LEFT BEHIND.

We loved it

Author: Phillip Layton from United Kingdom
11 November 2011

Don't believe all the negative comments here, I really wonder sometimes on IMDb about the mixed ratings. We sat down and watched this with the kids (Boy 7, Girl 9) and everyone loved it.

Our lad found it the funniest but both kids loved the cat and the slapstick comedy. The acting wasn't the best in the world but the film overall was great and we all laughed throughout.

How on earth this only has 5.2 stars is beyond me when the AWFUlLY butchered, terribly animated and boring Fantastic Mr. Fox gets 7.9 stars.

If you want a good laugh for all the family then we recommend this.

Jolly Fun!

So Funny!!!!!

Author: thosefries from United States
21 August 2011

Just got back from seeing "The Smurfs" with one of my friends, my little sister, my mom and my friend's mom. My friend, thought it was okay, she only laughed at the part when all the Smurfs attacked Gargamel. My sister laughed contagiously throughout the movie, like when Gargamel peed in the bucket at the restaurant or when he got attacked. I, too, laughed throughout, at all the absolute funny parts. Even my mother and my friend's mother laughed throughout. There was also this little boy, sitting behind us that laughed so loudly, it was super funny. My father didn't go, but, we have decided when this movie comes out on DVD, we are buying it and watching it with him. I did not have very high expectations for this movie but, after seeing it, I am thinking about asking someone to take me again! Definitely go see this, with any age, all will love it!

A cute, enjoyable throwback

Author: Amanda from Grand Rapids, MI
2 August 2011

I don't know why this movie got such negative reviews. Obviously if you don't know what a smurf is or were not a fan of the original cartoon then this movie isn't going to be for you. But for a child of the 80's, like me, I found it delightful. It was a pleasant, nostalgic treat that while modernizing the smurfs a bit stayed true to the original theme and feel of the cartoon I remember. And, in a surprising twist, the film included humor throughout that was not limited to children alone but quite a few things thrown in to amuse the adults. In fact in the theater I was in the adults were laughing more than the children. Overall, I found the movie to be very cute and a thoroughly enjoyable time. Don't let negative reviews put you off. Be the judge for yourself.

Very cute

Author: melimelo-3 from United States
31 July 2011

granted, there was some scatology in there but kids are always fond of that... The two kids I took (both 8) both got enthralled in the film, laughed and cheered on. One actually started to cry when the Smurfs were endangered. Also maybe this happened to be a particularly captive audience but we heard claps at the end of the film!

Sure, it has a classic storyline with escaping the villain and being caught by the villain but defeating him and having goodness prevail... but most stories do! (especially in children's films)

Honestly, I was seeing this film with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised.

One Long Advertisement for Sony Products

Author: Mickey Z from France
13 August 2011

Some films ought to come with a warning, as in: WARNING: THIS FILM EXISTS FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN TO SELL (X COMPANY)'s PRODUCT.

It's already bad enough that product placement has become ubiquitous in films and television. It's hard to remember a film or television show that hasn't, in one form or another, served as an advertising platform for one product or another.

And of course much of children's television programming has long centered around selling one toy or another.

In this case, however, the Evil Corporation behind this film took it to a new level : the entire film is itself product placement for pretty much the entire panoply of the company's products. Even worse, a number of essential plot points hinge upon the company's products. At another point, the film takes a 'time out' as it were to incorporate a longish sequence whose only purpose is to push the company's products. (Although there were a number of other corporations' products in the film as well -- no doubt these companies have cross-marketing agreements in place).

To top it off? I was forced to pay in order for my family to watch this company's hour-and-a-half advertisement. And an entirely mediocre film for all that (see the other reviews for why this film is so bad).

Well, that's the last time I'll take my kids to a film from this company, that's certain.

If corporations insist on flooding their films with advertisements, how can they insist we pay for them? This film is an excellent argument for film piracy.

A total disaster

Author: nicknaseef17 from United States
2 August 2011

The words above say it all, this film was a total disaster in every way. When I went to go see it with my young cousins I figured they would enjoy it and it might provide a few laughs for an older audience, I didn't laugh once. Even my three cousins (all under 8) didn't laugh. My 7 year old cousins even uttered the words, "That was stupid." as we walked out of the theater. I was very much inclined to agree with him, it was totally pathetic. Although I must admit that it was what I was expecting, but the children wanted to see it so I went, bit mistake. Save your cash people, don't go see this movie. In fact, don't even wait for the DVD...it's not even worth your dollar at redbox.

Funniest Movie EVER!

Author: ItsYourMomma
23 July 2014

This movie is extremely funny and it makes people want to watch it all day. I was laughing every time Azrael the Cat talks to Gargamel, laughs at something, and he is also adorable. My favorite Smurf is Smurfette. Why? Because she was voiced by my hero, my role model, my favorite celebrity, Katy Perry. Not only that, she's really funny at sometimes, like when she flipped Gargamel off behind his back (I think she flipped him off, it could've been the "I'm watching you" action). Also I was laughing hard when Clumsy burped out bubbles, Grouchy shouted "Hey! I'm walking here!", and when Jokey's present exploded on him. So a 10/10 would be the perfect rating to give it.

Perfectly good children's film

Author: liudude_123 from United States
1 October 2011

I don't get what all the negativity was about. I watched Smurfs as a kid from 1984-1990, so I know the characters pretty well. I thought the movie was perfectly fine. The new smurfs were OK, fitting their role in the movie (though I didn't know why Hefty smurf couldn't serve the role of Gutsy smurf?).

In terms of the voices, most of them were fine, Brainy was good match (sufficiently nasally). Narrator smurf was a fine touch, though I originally thought he was Brainy because he's new and no one other smurf used to have glasses. The only voice I thought that didn't work so well was Papa smurf. Papa smurf had a more Santa style voice. Jonathan winters voice was a bit too muted. I know it's a stereotype, but there are some voices you associate with a papa smurf style beard, and Winters doesn't have it.

Gargamel was a highlight in the movie. Hank Azaria played a very convincing cartoon villain. Azrael was a little weak initially, but it worked better and better as the movie went on. I could believe that they had chemistry.

In terms of story, it's a simple story in the same vein as most smurf story lines. Gargamel finds smurf, smurf run away (to real world), smurfs find way to beat Gargamel (and go home with help of nice humans). The movie didn't take itself too seriously and I thought it was a nice touch to work in many of the classic questions about the smurfs (99 - 1 male/female ratio? how did they get their names, etc).

NPH worked perfectly fine in the movie. Half the reason why I saw it was to watch him anyway (frankly, Smurfs wasn't really a part of my childhood that I felt I had to revisit). He was a good human character and had a good crisis for the movie to work through.

It's actually more of a 7.5, however, I felt that the film was unfairly bashed, so I rounded it up. I thought it was pretty enjoyable movie as long as you don't expect it to change your life or anything.

Page 2 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]