IMDb > "John Adams" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"John Adams"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"John Adams" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

John and Abigail Adams: patriots, heroes

Author: fred-houpt from toronto
1 February 2010

I choose both J & A in my summary because one without the other would not have succeeded in the deep and profound lives they lived. First of all a sober assessment of this film should be put aside until one has read David McCullough's fantastic historical account of J.A. The reader is entertained by a master storyteller, who first caught my ear in the ever great Ken Burns series "The Civil War", where he was used as narrator and historian. Once you have read this book then the many facts that you face when watching the film will make all the more sense.

Why is J.A. such a great series? The producers and director took great pains to reproduce the look and feel, the authenticity of the times. (my one and only criticism of this and just about every such series is that costumes, especially of the soldiers all look like they were just freshly pressed and taken from the closet. Soldiers of the day had no such luxury and probably looked pretty shabby, notwithstanding the bright colours. But I quibble....) The overall view is the impression that we are looking at the times as they really were. What I noted in particular was the extreme hazards of a winter time boat crossing of the Atlantic !!!! Good heavens, I can think of few things at that time or our own that were more perilous and as we watch poor J.A. wretchedly sick as the boat crashes upon the waves....we tremble at their fate. Never mind that they had to fight a pitched battle against a British ship....and could have been sunk themselves.

John Adams was a complex man but a very good and moral one. Bull headed when he dug in his heels, opinionated, erudite, hard working, a devoted and loving father and husband. All of his life's energies he channelled through the filter that was his beloved wife, Abigail. John trusted no other human as much as his Abigail. They say that they had one of the great love and literary affairs of the century. If the volume of correspondence and the expressions therein are adequate testimony, then we witness a true love. John was both a farmer, scholar and lawyer, something not seen much in our time. He was also guided by a simple but iron willed principle that all men must be governed by laws and that society that abandons them opens itself up to the rule of the mob. Early in his life he is tested as he is given the thankless task of defending British soldiers who stood accused of killing several colonists. His uneasy but fierce and successful defence of the soldiers gives us an idea of the depth of this man. He was to be tested over and over again as he was torn away from wife and children to tend to national duties as they rapidly evolved. There was not a single time that he did not gain his wife's blessings to his paths, no matter the pain it caused her.

The series quite accurately tells their story. From the incredibly difficult days where he was away in Philadelphia helping hammer out the declaration of independence while sickness and the British forces gave his wife and children many sleepless nights to the even more wrenching times when John was alone in Europe trying with great vexation to motivate French and Dutch bankers and royalty to support the erupting American revolution. The series shows the physical depredations he lived through and the mentally trying decision to send his young son John Quincy off to St. Petersburg as a diplomatic assistant.

The ensemble cast is superb from top to bottom. Much detail is given to making the actors appear as close to the historical characters. While they had no photography back then they certainly had plenty of portrait painters and we know pretty much what they looked like. David Morse's depiction of Washington was almost inch for inch what he would have looked like, the actor being as tall as Washington was. As well it is known that Washington's teeth had been removed or came out and that he wore ivory dentures. Look at all the stuffing in Morse's mouth and the attempt to reproduce the generals face is all there.

While there is so much tragedy in the Adams family, with the loss of a daughter to cancer and a son to alcoholism, the most shattering moment comes when John watches his wife slip away. Such very great people you cannot find much in the historical record. I still must say that I find Thomas Jefferson one of the most vile of the founding fathers. A prosperous, brilliant, urbane, conniving, calculating and charming man who simply could not see his pleasures and wealth compromised by ever giving up his slaves, of which it now appears that he fathered a number of children; I find him personally disgusting. Give me John Adams and the manner in which he was a father, a husband, a Vice and President of the United States. When all is said and done, this is one of those very great series that should be mandatory in every American school system.

The chemistry between Laura Linney and Paul Giamatti is composed of a wealth of excellent dialogue, quotes from their huge output of letters to each other and by the unbreakable bonds of love. Clearly these actors felt a sympathy for these founders and were able to channel their spirit with such clarity. Tom Wilkinson's depiction of Dr. Benjamin Franklin is wonderful to behold. Watch for the hilarious chess game played in the bathtub. As I am watching the series all over again it motivates me to re-read McCullough's book. Both are treasures you should own and learn from.

Very good, but...

Author: buiger from Monaco
5 October 2009

The critics all beg to differ with each other on this one. Me, I believe the truth is in the middle (as usual). I tend to agree with each critic on a single issue and then disagree on the rest...

One thing is certain: 'John Adams' is a well made, ambitious and detailed afresco depicting 50 years of American (and not only) history at the turn between the 18th and 19th centuries. The filmmakers go to great lengths trying to faithfully reconstruct this period, and mostly succeed in doing so wonderfully. I find this to be by far the biggest accomplishment of this mini series; You really feel the atmosphere of the times, the poor hygiene levels, the sicknesses, the dirt, the poverty. You can see how feeble human life itself was, how death was close at hand at all times. Medicine was almost non-existent, some scenes concerning medical interventions are so real they are both visually and intellectually so shocking I was moved by them. In other, you also have a wonderful portrayal of the decadence of 'old Europe' in starch comparison to for the times (very) modern American pragmatism portrayed through Adams himself.

The series is populated with many historical characters, most of which spring to life not only thanks to good acting, but also because of a good screenplay and excellent dialog. I enjoyed the fact that the language used was that of the times, and not a modern version of the same. There is however, one major problem, one that prevents this series from being great, and that is the casting of John Adams. Notwithstanding his trying hard, Paul Giamatti "just doesn't feel right" as John Adams. This is a major problem for this otherwise almost impeccable production, which I highly recommend watching in any case.

Best Actor

Author: otterprods from United States
6 January 2009

I just finished watching this series on DVD. Although it's boring at times if you're not into history at least a little bit, overall it was a very excellent production and true to history. I don't think that TV actors, even if it is an HBO film with a big production budget, that it is not eligible for Oscar nods. Too bad, because Giamatti's portrayal of Adams was simply the most powerful performance I recall seeing in years. Simply unforgettable. Laura Linney, and many of the actors did Oscar-worthy jobs as well. Oh, and the actor who plays Washington (what's his name?) was a dead on ringer, like the brought the first prez back to life just to play himself. Also, I know it's not recognized as a big effects movie (thank god) but it's one of the best use of CGI enhancement I've seen.

Tremendous Series

Author: fapratt from United States
7 April 2008

Thank you to all concerned for bringing this absolutely first rate and intimate view of the founding fathers particularly of John Adams and George Washington. David Morse is incredible as George Washington. The physical resemblance is remarkable but the essence of character, humanity, humility and quiet strength of his leadership as portrayed is a wonderful reminder of our first Presidents greatness. The strengths and failings of John Adams as he goes about the business of These United States and his family reminds us that the founders were real people subject to some of the same issues we all confront. Paul Giamanti and Laura Linney are magnificent. I could go on for pages of how informative the entire works are to date. I look forward to the remainder episodes with great anticipation.

The Greatest Mini-Series I've Ever Seen

Author: seagriffiths from United States
30 April 2008

The pure brilliance of every aspect of this mini-series has almost left me speechless. If you watch this mini-series without being moved to tears, are not left with an overwhelming sense of patriotism, or do not have a profound new respect for the founding fathers and mothers of this country, then you were not really watching at all. After viewing this mini-series, I have now witnessed the greatest scene in a MOVIE ever; that being the scene between John Adams and King George III when they met for the first time after the war. Absolutely astonishing. Kudos to Tom Hollander for a brilliant portrayal of George III; I have never seen emotion like that on screen before. Others have tried, but Hollander nailed it. This mini-series needs to be REQUIRED viewing for all American school children. Fantastic.

A Work of Genius Regarding our Founding Fathers

Author: missiontur from United States
1 April 2008

This is truly a work of genius and HBO's finest presentation yet! The cooperation between the British actors, the director and his staff, and the Americans was an example of the finest collaboration possible. The actors gave credence to their roles superbly and fleshed out the reality of the enormous struggle for independence. As David McCullough said, this was the confluence of the right men at the right time coming together united with one purpose. Nothing prior to this has been so eloquently done and by such an outstanding cast, both American and English--portraying the best of American determination, fortitude, purpose and dedication! BRAVO TO ALL INVOLVED! Paul Giamotti, Laura Linney, David Morse, Tom Wilkinson, and the gentleman playing Jefferson (as well as the entire cast) are to be commended for producing their finest work. Judi Rogers

Giamatti Brings John Adams To Life

Author: Intern2014 from United States
15 September 2012

John Adams is a television miniseries chronicling most of President John Adams's political life and his role in the founding of the United States. Paul Giamatti portrays the title role.It also has a stellar cast that includes Laura Linney,Stephen Dillane,David Morse,Tom Wilkinson,Danny Huston,Rufus Sewell,Justin Theroux and Guy Henry.

The miniseries was directed by Tom Hooper. Kirk Ellis wrote the screenplay based on the book John Adams by David McCullough. The biopic of John Adams and the story of the first fifty years of the United States was broadcast in seven parts by HBO.

The miniseries was simply one of the best about former President of the United States,John Adams as Paul Giamatti brings him to life.As Giamatti interprets him, Adams seems both intelligent and ordinary enough to pass as all the things he truly was: a shrewd lawyer, a nettlesome Continental Congress debater, a huffy ambassador to France, and, eventually, the second President of the United States. You'll feel goose bumps of pride when you hear bits of the Declaration of Independence being read aloud.Also commendable is the portrayal by Laura Linney of Adams' wife, Abigail.

Aside from the performances,the miniseries is one brilliant and thought- provoking film about the history of the United States.Its twenty-three Emmy Award nominations and the thirteen that it won will definitely attest to that.

Is that all he was?

Author: achenier from Canada
26 March 2011

Watching books on film carries the danger of replacing a rich and complex experience by an overly simplified, bare-boned one.

My most recent experience was watching on tape the television series on John Adams, based on the the David McCullough biography which I had read a few years ago.

My general impression is that the two principal actors, Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney (as John Adams and his influential wife, Abigail) gave a different rendition of the personalities of the main characters from what I had imagined them to be as I read the book. They became much more one-dimensional, for example.

Their personal communication style, as rendered by the actors, became an irritant to me. Adams way of speaking made him appear as shifty, untrustworthy and visionless : an 18th Century Dick Cheney. Abigail, as a condescending know-it-all.

Now that I have seen the movie, I have find it hard to return to my previous impression of a complex man married to a very strong and intelligent woman.

Very good but there is something about the look

Author: dmaboyer from Central PA
10 January 2009

I find it an excellent series as far as the story goes. I enjoy the glimpses in to history that this series gives. My favorite part is watching and listening to David Morse as George Washington. I think he is incredible. I wish that they would do a series on Washington with David Morse in the lead. I cannot add much to what the other people have said about the series but I want to add two observations.

First, I think that, in many places, they give a little more credit to Adams than he deserves. I know that he is regarded as the leader in the push for independence but I think this series even exaggerates that beyond the actual fact. Also, I am concerned about his leadership when he was president. I think that they make it much more powerful and important than it really was considering how history has looked at his presidency.

My second and hardest thing to get over in this series is the 'look'. I am reading a book called Max Quick: The Two Travelers. In this a couple of boys are transported in time back to 1912. One of the boys comments that the look of people in 1912 is different. He comments that if a few people from 1912 were transported to our time and mixed in with people from our time he could tell which ones were from 1912. This is the problem I have had with the John Adams Series from the beginning. There is something about the look of the people that just does not ring true. I cannot put my finger on it. I am not sure if it is the makeup or the dress or the language or the mannerisms but something is just not right. I think Paul Giamatti is the hardest to get get used to. I am not putting down his acting or his performance, it is just that there is something about his look that just does not sit right with me. The same seems to apply to most of the characters. They just do not seem like they live in the 18th century. As I mentioned above the only one that seems to pull it off is David Morse.

This is the only reason I am giving it 7 stars instead of something much higher. Otherwise it is a very good series. I recommend it to any fan early American history.

Nearly spoiled by the camera-work

Author: wilsr from Australia
31 December 2012

I agonised about what star rating to give "John Adams".

I cannot comment on the historic authenticity. However, the sets, sound, makeup, CGI, storyline and dialogue are outstanding. All the actors are excellent and it's invidious to single any one out. But Giamatti and Linney stand out with incredible, intimate and emotional performances.

So why the "agonising"? Quite simply, although the cinematography and lighting are technically perfect, someone somewhere - presumably the director in consultation with the producers - thought that a hand-held camera and the odd tilted horizon would add something to the story.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

There are two valid excuses for a steadycam shot: if it's physically impossible to shoot it with a crane, and to give the impression of a grabbed shot in, say, a war zone.

Unfortunately, too many otherwise first class directors have followed a craze that emerged a few years back, and appear to think that unsteady shots add to the experience. They don't: all they do is make you think about the mechanics of the filming and look for the exit. And tilting the camera for no good reason is just plain effete.

So: eight out of ten. A shame, because without the trendy camera-work I would give John Adams ten.

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]