IMDb > "So You Think You Can Dance" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"So You Think You Can Dance"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"So You Think You Can Dance" More at IMDbPro »

Very Entertaining!

Author: misty
11 September 2006

Coming from a point of view of just a "regular person" I watched So You Think You Can Dance and fell in love. It does have a lot of the same tricks as American Idol, but there's one big and important thing that it does not share, and that is when they eliminate the contestants for the purpose that America does not pick the best dancer based on just personality. What actually happens is that America picks the bottom three couples, and then they each have 90 seconds to prove themselves(it is obvious who has practiced or not) and then the judges eliminate two of them. And I think majority of the time, the judges give very good reasons, they are not biased, they are fair. But afterwards, when it comes to the top 5 couples, they are separated and then randomly chosen for one another to see the chemistry they can have with other partners. In that voting process, America chooses who stays and who leaves, until the final four where one is chosen as America's favorite dancer. (not America's best dancer) Another thing I liked about the judging process is that they switch judges to prevent a bias, but they are usually judges of different styles just as the contestants are. The contestants are obviously chosen because of their strength in their own style, but in the process of trying out, they are tested if they can follow different sorts of choreography well to test their versatility and if they can, the judges tell if they are voted into competition or not. But throughout the competition, they do beautiful and fun pieces, which makes the show very addicting to watch because no one knows what type of dance will be chosen for them or how they will do.

This is a show that will have hardcore dancers on the edge of their seats and complete amateurs begging for more. It's real dancing and it's really, really awesome.

Author: Jenna (yayforasterisks) from Florida, United States
5 February 2006

I study voice and so when I watch a show like American Idol, I can tell when they're faking it. Worse - they always get away with it. I also dance, so I was not going to turn away an opportunity to watch a dancing American Idol. Way better than the original. You just can't fake it. The dancers are either good or they're bad - no getting around it. The result? An absolutely amazing hour of dances that remind you to love the arts. There's hip hop and ballroom the entire spectrum is covered. I personally can't wait for a second season and would recommend this show to anyone who has ever tapped their foot while listening to music. It's just that good.

this show will NEVER go off the air

Author: dancer-45 from United States
15 June 2009

Unlike singing competitions which can begin to feel like karaoke night twice a week, So You Think You Can Dance is fresh and will keep renewing itself. Dance is always changing, always becoming more global, technical, artistic, theatrical, and more. There are no limits in dance, and thus this show has the potential to go on forever.

The greatest thing about this show is the showcase of the different genres by gifted dancers. Not only is it a "competition" show, it is a performance show. Sure there are the judges to comment, phone numbers to call, and bottom three to fret about, but in the end this show achieves the most in broadcasting the world of dance.

A Must Watch For Everyone :)

Author: Dancerskickbutt from United States
24 March 2007

This is my favorite show. I'm a hip hop dancer, and I was thrilled to see the great hip hop in the show, as well as the other dance styles that were delivered with great technique and performance. All the dancers stepped up to the plate and conquered all the styles. Even though, on fox, this show is second to "American Idol" it's much more entertaining.I felt that dance is really coming back to America. And that's great, it's the most overlooked of the preforming arts and i'm glad that it's getting recognition. The judges on the show gave good criticism. The ceorgraphers did everything right. The pairings had great chemistry. This show is a really good pick for anyone who is looking for a great reality show in the summer. One warning though: it's addicting. Once you see it you won't be able to stop watching.

Fantastic Talent Show...........................

Author: Panamint from United States
23 July 2007

Where else will you see such unbelievably good talent? It blows me away every episode! The talent and effort that is displayed by these dancers is sometimes jaw-dropping it is so good.

Also as a bonus you get the best efforts of some incredibly talented choreographers.

In a way, the talent level is a drawback. With every contestant so talented, how can you choose? I am afraid that the audience voting will just relegate this to a personality contest with many people voting for who they like or who has the cutest smile. I hope it can simply vote down to the greatest dance ability for a winner, but unfortunately that is just not how us humans (myself included) tend to vote sometimes.

Despite numerous flaws, this show is enthusiastic and very watchable and is to be highly recommended.

New format is AWFUL.

Author: blondeblue1 from Canada
30 May 2016

All seasons of this show up to 2016 were really entertaining and enjoyable. I looked forward to watching the show every week.

The dancers and the routines were, for the most part, exceptional.

The judging was tolerable, which is unusual for this type of show.

Cat Deeley was one of the best hosts on TV.

Now, talented adults have been inexplicably replaced with a parade of small children and their insufferable stage mothers, complete with sob stories and plenty of crying and whining.

There is no more judging, just lots of oohing and aahing and "You're sooooo cute!!!!"

This show is now just pure crap, suitable only for parents of marginally talented toddlers.

Turned it off after 15 minutes

Author: stevie-loulou from United States
31 May 2016

My husband and I loved this show - until this year. We turned it off after 15 minutes. The phony back-stories were bearable (mostly) when for adults, but are just plain silly for children. Furthermore, not only is the reviewer below correct, you can add the problem that this year's format will have an unhealthy appeal to the prurient interest of sick people in watching little girls gyrate like adults in their skin-tight outfits. Ballet is one thing, the hip thrusts of modern dance is quite another when done by prepubescent children. What kind of choreography can they possibly do which will not involve something like that?

Good bye, SYTYCD

Author: psalvet from United States
10 September 2013

Today I say goodbye to the show. A fan from Day One, I can no longer watch mediocre choreography and performances that I can easily see on Dancing with the Stars.

I watched and recommended SYTYCD because of its quality, to see outstanding, trained athletes show us their flexibility. Alex hip hop dance with Twitch was a high point for the show. However, I can see Fik- Shun type contestants walking the streets of every major city. Why not have untrained dancers compete for dance scholarships?

What is the motivation and the reward to put in the hard work that made most of the All Stars who they are today if contestants like Fik-Shun are given a pass and graded on trying? I thought Chehon's win last year was redemption for the format. It turned out to have been wishful thinking.

I am grateful to the show for giving me the opportunity to see the likes of Travis and Allison, my favorite all-around dancer. However, the good far surpassed the bad this year. Fik-Shun is not alone. The incessant build up from the judges of untrained dancers over the last three years was hardly credible.

I suppose everything goes through cycles. SYTYCD had its Golden Age. Who will next bring those of us who love good dancing a show we can be proud of? Perhaps bring back the All Stars to dance the work of competing young choreographers. So You Think You Can Choreograph might be an interesting sequel.

oh my god he didn't win!

Author: jcd-51813 from United States
12 November 2016

So i was like a HUGE fan of this show like a really big fan.

and my boy David Matz as you all know he's the cash Mecca of Saudi Matz and he was on this show and yeah he like APPEARED. but he didn't win. So I went like WTF and was mad and stopped watching this show because I don't appreciate when they lose.

It kind of reminds me of this time I was watching this one show called American Idol (really obscure old show sorry if you don't know it) and there was this guy named David Matz that appeared and I was like WOAH so I like jumped into my TV but it was too small so the screen cracked so I JUMPED into my 90 inch flat screen in my home movie theater and dude wow I just went straight through it and was there and I was like "yo Dave wassup boy" and he was like "OH FACK OFF" and I didn't know what to say. So I like found this camera and was like send me back but it didn't so I had to press a button and it sent me back and i had to pay 90 god damn dollars to fix my TV so yeah.

Great season except for Cyrus

Author: Jim de Graff from Canada
19 September 2012

Usually this show is a "can't miss" in my house. The dancers and choreographers are amazingly talented and the judges' comments are insightful and fair. That came to an end this season with the coming of Cyrus. In the entire season he was never given a dance way outside his comfort zone. There is no way he would have been able to do ballroom, disco or Bollywood. When he was given contemporary, his portion of the routine was dumbed down to hide his obvious weaknesses. While the judges criticized other dancers on such technical points as subtle hand movements or slightly incorrect toe-pointing, Cyrus' major shortcomings (such as the inability to move his hips) were ignored. I can only hope this mistake is not repeated next season.