IMDb > Funky Pete (2004) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Funky Pete (V) More at IMDbPro »

Clever satire on television censorship…

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
17 March 2008

One of the things that I've always loved about watching movies on TV is when they censor them for wide broadcast, which for some reason is never done well. I sometimes wonder why they don't just film the "bad" scenes with clean language as well as the original language so that when the movies play on TV they won't look so fake. In this case, that might be difficult because the scene with Pete losing his temper at a drunken Ed and Shaun is one of the best acted scenes in the film, so getting that more than once might have been a pain. Besides that, this is funny because the language of the edited version is so ludicrous. Clearly, these people were having a blast making this movie!

It's funny because it's true

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
16 October 2009

This is one of the many and short special features on the DVD of Shaun of the Dead, and as with most of them, you simply have to watch this if you have the chance, and you've seen the film. You can tell that they had an amazing time making the movie, and that's a huge part of why all of these are so entertaining. This is one of the countless excellent scenes, except it is edited "for television". Every single cuss is dubbed with a "clean" version of the word, and it is pure hilarity to witness. This works as solid satire on censorship, and it is unreal just how different and awkward it is to see the memorable sequence with the strong language replaced. It has a running time of a few seconds less than two minutes, and is a non-stop source of heartfelt laughs every moment of it. This has a potential spoiler or two, and I would not suggest it unless you have caught the entire flick at least once, since its impact will be greater. There is nothing objectionable in this, apart from possibly to people who have a potent reaction against electro-music. I recommend this to everyone who enjoyed the picture itself. 10/10

"It's four in the morning!"

Author: Tim Bisley from United Kingdom
12 November 2005

I know, it seems weird writing a review on this short extra, but what the heck.

Peter Serafinowicz (writer of 'Father Ted', 'Black Books' and 'Look Around You' plays Shaun's (Simon Pegg: Spaced, Shaun Of The Dead) irate upstairs neighbour Pete. Pete is getting angry at not being able to get to sleep because of Ed (Nick Frost) and Shaun's Hip-Hop (It's not hip-hop, it's electro... prink). Then he proceeds to throw Shaun's second album he ever bought out of the window. I think I have seen this extra 69 times today.

Anyway, an argument ensues when Ed calls Pete a 'prink'. This argument ends with Ed saying: "Next time I see him, he's dead." Which, ironically, he is. All in all, this is a good little DVD extra, but not quite as good as 'Fun Dead.'

Hilarious Edit of SotD

Author: gazzaroof from Australia
21 July 2007

"Funky Pete" is an edited scene from SotD, it is the scene when Pete has a go at Shaun and Ed for Partying at 4 in the morning. They censored the scene by changing "F*ck" into "Funk" and "Prick" into "Prink"

Pete: It's four in the Funking Morning!

Shaun: It's Saturday!

Pete: No it's not! It's Funking Sunday, and I've gotta go to Funking work in four Funking hours because every other Funker in my Funking department is Funking ill! Now can you see why I'm so Funking angry?!

Ed: Funk yeah!

Shaun: Look, Pete. Sorry. We had a couple of drinks, we split up with Liz tonight.

Pete: Just keep it down, Yeah?

Ed: Prink!