IMDb > American Visa (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

American Visa More at IMDbPro »

Sweet sights of La Paz

Author: Ceck from La Paz, Bolivia
3 November 2005

I honestly don't see many bolivian movies 'couse they have a bad marketing campaign. This one called my attention since I've heard many good comments about the photography. The script is easy going, no big complications a story like many others in this country. It's refreshing seeing Damian Bichir playing the role of a bolivian (he even got many of the expressions we use around here) and it's even more surprising watch Kate del Castillo talking in a "camba" accent, some times it's quite hard for her to keep it...but being a Mexican and now talking as a "camba"...good work.

It has a front critic to our political system and the way we are manipulated by the north country. I'm proud the sound, the image and the story of this film are much much better than the last bolivian movie I've seen "El Atraco".

Great movie, a must see for Latinos.

Author: Samuel Torrez from United States
6 January 2008

Great movie, very real. I gave it a 9 out of 10 because I could tell how Kate Del Castillo was faking the "camba" accent sometimes, however Demian Bichir was a truly "paceño." I had no idea he was Mexican, I thought he was Bolivian. I was surprised seeing Kate Del Castillo, I have seen her in many "telenovelas" before, but is the first time I see her in a movie. Anyways they were both really good. Great story and very real, even "las cholitas"...wow. La Paz was beautiful, I was impressed by how well the images of the city were captured, made me feel back home. The American embassy part was great, I remember seeing how people got rejected the same way, very real. Also the name of the bodyguard, Severo, great choice. Again the scenes of La Paz were amazing, I recommend to watch this movie, and is a must for Bolivians.

Very close to reality

Author: alejandra
15 February 2006

I liked this movie, I haven't seen many national films, but the ones I've seen haven't been very good or real. This one on the other hand, I believe, reflects very well reality. I've been there... asking for an American Visa and even though I only wanted to visit the country I did feel like they were treating me as a criminal, and I know many stories of people who are desperate for getting a Visa. The actors did a very good job, and I appreciate the effort they put into the accents even though they weren't perfect. It was a simple storyline, but sometimes that works in movies. The characters were very believable and it was easy to relate to them.

Sensitive and real

Author: mauricio303 from Massachusetts, United States
5 April 2006

Denifitely good!!!...I believe Bolivian movies are somehow trying to catch up with times, they have improved in many technical aspects as well as story telling part. These two actors get an A+ for their performance and if you add a good directing and proper marketing then you have a winner!!!

It brought back lots of memories, and reminds us of how beautiful Bolivia is, even though it shows the cruel reality that many people has faced and currently still facing, just to make it in this life.

I like the positive outcome of his misadventure, he finds true love in someone who desperately needs caring and affection, and happiness is just a few kicks and punches away.

A sincere regard

Author: Mariana Cornejo from Mexico
31 October 2005

American Visa is a simple story, told in a simple way. But is well told. The director succeeds in his storytelling about a character in the middle of a life crisis unknown by him. A teacher wants to reach for a dream in the United States but the journey wouldn't be easy for such an idealist character. Luckily, there's an angel along the way: A table dancer, Blanca, well portrayed by Kate del Castillo although a little exaggerated in her accent. There isn't any surprises in the story, we all know where it is going, but there's a good sense of sincerity in it. The situations are well crafted and the Latin problems about that doubtful way of accreditations by the "U.S.landers" leaves you thinking and discussing once you leave the cinema. Technically well done, good sound and some beautiful landscapes from La Paz and many other places from Bolivia by the cinematographer. I only wished I had seen bolivian actors in the leading roles and not a couple imposed by the Mexican production.

Irregular Bolivian-Mexican Product

Author: Fermin Treviño Adame from Monterrey, Mexico
4 September 2011

In this film of the Bolivian/Mexican Director Valdivia,he take us to La Paz Bolivia to tell us the story of the English teacher plays by Bichir and his problems to get the American Visa, issue very common even for Mexican despite of the $100 usd ,that we have top pay to process it The story tell us something very explored for Mexican movies ,draw more attention to see Kate del Castillo in her role of table dancer as a Mexican Demi Moore or the loving relationship that she and Bichir had in that time instead of the story for itself that simply shows the drama that Bichir lives and his despair that make him commit many stupid actions,and Kate's struggle to stop him without get it,Kate in her search to consolidate her film career offer something more than show her nice-looking body and get some good chemistry with Bichir and at the end ,the film just concludes that American people are as corrupt as the Mexican

American Visa Does Not Fail To Entertain

Author: TheArizonian2014 from United States
11 September 2012

American Visa is a Mexican film that stars Demian Bichir and Kate del Castillo.It is a story of a Bolivian man with dreams of reuniting with his son and starting a new life in the United States is forced to resort to questionable methods due to harsh laws designed to curb immigration.It was written and directed by Juan Carlos Valdivia.

Mario is a retired English teacher from the Bolivian countryside. Leaving his career, his home, his town and his past, he sets out to follow his dream of seeing the United States. He hopes to become a part of the American dream.It place to him that provides an opportunity and stability, a place to escape from his old life and reunite with his now adult son.

Mario arrives in La Paz in order to secure a travel visa for the US. Once there, he meets and befriends Blanca, an exotic dancer at the local strip club. The two share an immediate attraction despite their vastly different dreams and they quickly fall into a promising relationship. But Mario is a diligent man, and he is willing to revert to any measure possible to obtain that one thing which he wants most: a life in the United States.

The film has a unique story line that presents a main character that is determined to go to the United States.Also,it provides romance between two completely different people - a dancer and a teacher.Finally,we get to see how Mario does extreme measures to achieve his goal.Although the movie has good performances from both Bichir and del Castillo,the movie falls short due to some contrivances and common plot lines that have been applied to many movies in the past.But overall,it does not fail to entertain and give delight to the viewer.

An entertaining film!

Author: vilj-1 from United States
1 March 2009

I enjoyed watching this film. It is mixture of characters and story-line that, at times, doesn't merge too well. Demian Bichir plays a father that wishes to travel to the USA to see his son, but also to stay there and work. Kate Del Castillo plays the hooker-pole-dancer with the heart of gold who loves her country, Bolivia, in spite of the poverty. One can see on this film, the potential for better roles in the English language for her, like Trade and Under the Same Moon (Bajo la misma Luna). The corruption and the description of the "gringos" in this film is greatly exaggerated, but it will play well with the core audiences. I recommend the film because of its entertainment value. It has good acting, good music and great visuals, to go with a decent story line, if one does not pay too much attention to details.

If you like Latin American movies

Author: caisamoreno from Ecuador
23 December 2005

Yes, it is one of the best Bolivian movies from latest years among "La Nación Clandestina" (The clandestine nation) and "Cuestión De Fe" (A matter of faith)... The subject is simple, yet honest: how does a humble English professor tries to get an American Visa... it seems to be that living out of his own but hopeless country is a better option. Narration is full of details and scenes that speak by themselves. So, I think it's a quite realistic portrait of nowadays' life in Latin America, and also of the way a lot of Latin American people think, focusing in some particularities of Bolivian society. It's worth to see it, specially because it holds a neutral and somehow natural point of view of the chaos surrounding the main character, a quality that ain't normally achieved in Latin movies. Even the "cholitas" acting as extras are perfectly placed in the narration. It doesn't seem a bad election to me that the main characters were Mexican, in fact, they do have an excellent performance, and that's enough reason for them to be there. The silly scenes? To me, some pink romantic scenes, although a lot of pals liked them.

Check out this film

Author: tre_rza from United States
5 December 2005

I have not yet seen the film but i was told that this film was one of the greatest films that Bolivia has produced and directed. Both my parents are from Bolivia. I appreciated my roots and i encourage everyone to go watch this movie when it gets to the states. I will be watching the film sooner than people in the states because i will be going to Bolivia for the holidays this December. I have overseen the plot of the movie and it seems that this movie had a lot of issues that other Latin American countries go through and I am proud to say that it was represented from a Bolivian prospective.... well what else to say but Viva Bolivia...