IMDb > "The Book of Daniel" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Book of Daniel"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Book of Daniel" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Desperate Priests meet 6 Feet Under

Author: BruceKeithDesign from charlotte
6 January 2006

This is one of the best premieres since "Desperate Housewives". Edgy as an HBO show, spiritual as 7th Heaven, and as beautifully dysfunctional as Six Feet Under. Aiden Quinn brings an offbeat rudder to this ship of wonderfully happy dysfunctional family. A talented cast of familiar faces play straight men to the priest and his tribe. A spiritual adviser offers well placed advice which, I'm sure, puts the Christian right on edge. Ellen Bursten is rediscovered as the pill popping Bishop while the acceptance of the gay son is the first truly poignant integration of a true gay role in a true family.

The closest drama to a true reality show on television. Welcome back NBC

Enjoyable

Author: jocast13 from United States
8 January 2006

I liked the show.

I watched the first two episodes and was pleasantly surprised. My husband came home and started watching in the middle of it, he got all caught up in it. Luckily I had recorded it and I had to rewind it to catch him up. It had much more humor in it than I was expecting it too.

It was a drama/comedy and I will keep watching.

I was expecting it to be much more serious and not so lighthearted. I was also afraid that I would hate the scenes where he chats with Jesus, but found that they were actually enjoyable. I also liked the way Aidan Quinn dealt with all the problems he had going on at once and could still deal with his family. I have liked Aidan for many years and think he is very good in this part.

Funny Dramady

Author: taister from United States
7 January 2006

I enjoyed watching the 2 hour premiere of this show. It was light-hearted and I thought the character development was great! The issues of the characters were real situations that probably exist more than you would think in families. Aiden Quinn is fantastic as Daniel. The person who plays his wife is funny as well. The adopted son was a little obnoxious at first but I think that was just part of developing the character. I really liked the scenes when Daniel talks to Jesus. Again is mostly light-hearted. It shows the close relationship he has with Jesus and how he always looks to him for guidance. I hope they develop the Nanny lady's character more in the future. I felt they kind of left us hanging when it came to her. I think she will be an important part of the plot line of the show. This show makes me want to start going to church again! I hope this show has a long shelf life. I recommend it totally!

Most original, witty, show in years.

Author: moviefreak57 from United States
6 January 2006

I Recently sat down to watch The Book of Daniel to see what all this fuss was around it. I heard tons of rumours. The hardcore conservative church ladies were calling it " a wrongful display of Jesus" which surprises me because the menopause oppressed crazy women haven't even seen the show yet.

Could this show be as wrong and crude display as people have expressed. Well...no, these people are just so stuck to their original upbringings to even open up their eyes to something a little new. Besides that the show is actually respecting the entire Christian faith.

Back to the matter at hand. I watched it and found one of the most amazing witty dramas on television. It depicts the modern world in such a perfect way. It includes everything, homosexuals, alcholics, drug dealers, SUPER conservative CHristians, Liberal, anything. Its paced perfectly. The show keeps moving, taking different directions. Its a lot better than the over rated Desperate Housewives.

My Opinion: Don't listen to what other people say. That includes you Christians. No one should be offended by this, if so i think they're just a little tight.

Still trying to decide

Author: rogr-1 from South Carolina
7 January 2006

I've heard all the bad press on this "anti-Christian" show. Well, I am a Christian. I am also a conservative, real conservative. I find myself loving old reruns and old movies quite a bit and disliking "modern" shows more and more. Yet, I'm still trying to decide where I stand on this show. I actually recorded it so I could watch w/o missing anything.

Something I loved was when Daniel asks Jesus if he is chosen, since Jesus so often talks with him. Jesus responds. that he talks to most people, but most don't listen. As a Christian, I can totally agree with that concept. I also love Daniels apparent practice of grace. Grace is the concept that allows Christians to accept people without judgment. But, it's one thing not to judge people, it's quite another to let someone play with fire, w/o telling them they'll be burned.

For example, when that engaged couple comes to him for counseling. My church and most other churches will tell the couple that sex before marriage is wrong, instead he gives them advice less out of the Bible, and more out of Dr. Ruth's handbook.

Outside of my Christian viewpoint, I've one other criticism of the show. It's trying too hard. This one family has a gay son, another son that has sex with every girl he meets, a daughter that is dealing drugs, a father/husband that appears to have an addiction to his pain pills, an alcoholic wife/mother, a lesbian sister in law, a mother/grandmother that has Alzhimers--sorry for the spelling on that one-, a father/grandfather that may be having an affair, and a best friend with mob connections.

SLOW DOWN!!!! I know that we all have problems, but egad, can't they let someone be normal.

I am glad of the positive portrayal of Jesus though. Was I the only one that noticed he was wearing a seat belt?

I'm a conservative Episcopalian, and I loved the show.

Author: akcampbell from Ohio
6 January 2006

Jesus practiced forgiveness and acceptance, so as a preface, consider the Buddhist philosophy that the path to Heaven is like a mountain. There are many paths leading upward, and the only person wasting his time is the one running around the mountain telling everyone else they are doing it wrong.

I turned the show on expecting to be infuriated, but I am very impressed. I think the show (the first episode, at least) is clever, well-written and not remotely offensive. Before you think, "Well, those godless Episcopal heathens have a gay bishop," know that I am among the more conservative Episcopalians, and the show very accurately reflects the conversations I have in my head with Jesus. OK, so I've never seen him sitting in the passenger seat of my car or loitering outside my half bath, but artistic license covers that base.

I don't think this is an Christian vs. Hollywood issue, or at least it shouldn't be. This is flattering to Christians -- something that has been sorely lacking in recent years, thanks to televangelists and their air conditioned dog houses. Most of America is Christian, and there is entertainment enough in this show for everyone, whether they are watching it for the God content or not.

Per Sportbronco's comment, I read the Bible and I think it makes me more of a thinker, not less. And just because you believe in God doesn't mean you are humorless. When you study the Bible in an historical context, you see that Jesus had a pretty good sense of humor. That's one of the things I really like about this show that I think others may be taking issue with. I fully believe he would have cracked a one-liner. Jesus was fully God, but also fully human.

Same with Daniel -- fully priest and also fully regular-guy. Why is it offensive that a priest isn't perfect? Who says he can't have a daughter who makes an error in judgment, an adopted son who's having sex in his parents' car, a gay son whom he loves? A cheating dad/imperfect bishop, a mother with Alzheimer's, snipe-fests with his wife over their sex life? Now, the fact that the family has a housekeeper is atypical -- these people aren't rich in real life. And the bigoted cow who made the remark about "oriental grandchildren" -- that was unfortunate. But every story has to have a villain, and she and her bullied, bullying, condescending husband are it.

To the people who are concerned that this sort of material is detrimental, I must respectfully disagree. I find it hard to believe that someone would be condemned for considering Jesus a good friend he turns to when he has troubles. Isn't putting Jesus into the context of our lives and having a close relationship what we are supposed to do? I think that is the most basic tenet of this show.

Based on all the savage reviews I had heard, I was all set to drum up a letter writing campaign to the network (which I see as voicing an opinion, not promoting censorship, and something people in the majority don't do nearly often enough because they feel guilty about being in the majority in the first place).

But then I watched the premiere, and I really enjoyed it. If "The Book of Daniel" brings anyone to church, if it shows them that maybe it's a place where they will be accepted in spite of their flaws, if it encourages them to keep trying to be better in spite of their weaknesses -- then I'm all for it.

We don't watch a lot of TV, but this show is entertaining and real, and it had earned a place in our viewing pantheon.

There is Hope for Television

Author: jim-1542 from United States
6 January 2006

I have avoided network television (except sports, news and weather) for years due to steady stream of mind numbing "reality shows" and the worst writing since television first became a staple in the American home.

Finally a well written, creative and well cast show that dares to bring comedy back by poking fun at religion. Plus, it does this within the constraints of Network censors.

It still needs some work with timing and character development, but given a chance it could become the most original and best comedy since SOAP.

Somebody learned for Susan Harris.

Great Show.

finally, some realism...

Author: cfanos from United States
6 January 2006

Finally---a realistic look at "church" in America: an often unholy sometimes ungodly mix of church politics, dysfunction and human frailty. A few fundamentalist preachers will rant, aghast, from the pulpit tomorrow (Sunday, Jan. 8, 2006) about this premiere and bandy about such terms as heresy and blasphemy without a notion of their true meaning, or diplomas from accredited institutions of higher learning. But a majority of thinking Christians (and Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, atheists and agnostics) will recognize a story about people easy to care about, who remind us that life isn't about halos and wings and covered dish suppers--it's about struggle, addiction, suffering, disappointment, redemption, and love.

Presented in a genius blend of outrageous fortune and unexpected moments of grace, The Book of Daniel is a reason to stay home on Friday nights.

GREAT (not crap)

Author: minihsiehhsieh from United States
6 January 2006

Great plot, funny and serious at the same time. It's about a dysfunctional family (eek, gag me with a spoon), but it's actually really good. The show breaks lots of stereotypes and is really funny.

so it's about a priest named Daniel, who is part of the typical family in America. There's the daughter who is very artistic and needs to express herself and draws Managua and sells pot to make money. Then there's the gay brother and the adopted cool adopted Asian brother. Then there's the mom who always drinks. When they come together for dinner, it is Hilarious!!! You guys have all gotta see it. I give it 15 stars out of ten.

Wow! Great show!

Author: Punkorama_57 from Florida, United States
6 January 2006

Wow that was actually a really awesome show. I didn't really know what to expect but that was great. I was just kinda putting it on for the sake of watching the first five minutes and seeing what it was like and maybe switching to it on commercials but wow! I ended up watching the whole 2 hours and flipped to OTHER shows on the commercials. I was wondering about the big hype on it being wrong and actually somewhat agreed by how the commercials portrayed it but it wasn't like that at all. I am not religious even though I've tried lol... but i loved the way they portrayed Jesus. They showed him as a human being and i loved it. So anyways.. what i was trying to get across was that i loved it and it's a great show! I also loved how they embraced their son's homosexuality.. they showed him not really wanting it but at the same time accepting him for who he is and loving him anyway.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]