IMDb > Android Apocalypse (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Android Apocalypse (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Not as bad as I expected until the last 20 minutes

Author: mbowman2 from United States
25 June 2006

I went into this expecting the same incredibly bad movie as the rest of the Sci Fi channel's attempts. Now, I not by any means saying this was a great movie but it was far above the rest of the crop.

Sure it is a ripoff of "The Terminator" and "The Defiant Ones" (thanks ted1244, I couldn't remember the name of that movie) but what movie isn't in some sense.

There was conflict in several characters that gave them some dimension. I especially liked the androids coming to terms with his "humanity" and was pleasantly surprised to find the human character in which I initially found nothing redeeming actually grow and display more depth than I have ever found in any SciFi channel movie.

** possible spoiler ***

The movie did fall apart in the final 20 minutes when the evil android master finally found the last key to perfecting his creations. I normally don't have much trouble with techno-babble as long as it is obscure enough or has just enough science to make it remotely possible but but here it was just silly. We're supposed to believe that what stands between man and machine is the constituents of the fluid that surrounds our brain? Give me a break, I never took much biology but even I know that the function of this fluid is more to create a safe environment for the brain and does not contribute anything to our thinking or humanity. I'm sure if they just consulted with the set nurse they could have come up with something more convincing than that.

Then we're supposed to believe that a couple of humans and one android were able to overcome an army of invincible attack droids and resolve all the conflict and suspicion between man and android in one fell swoop.

Despite this I give SciFi channel a mild round of applause. There may be hope for them yet.

A James Cameron Start with a George Lucas Ending

Author: IBstars from United States
1 July 2006

Not a Terminator "rip off," but a story that borrows slightly from James Cameron's human vs. machine battle imagery. The film also evokes THX 1138 for some of its prison guard aesthetic and models its CGI drilling-machines-gone-bad directly on the Matrix Sentinels.

Joseph Lawrence's DeeCee android character is a true highlight, and much of the film's first quarter suggests a well-imagined and entertaining story complete with social commentary on the hubris of humanity, android labor politics, the darker side of technology, and environmental irresponsibility.

The final third of the film, however, becomes hijacked by some George Lucas logic of rushing to tell the rest of the story without regard for thematic consistency or much concern for the story and characters themselves.

Despite the "phantom menace" of the end, I appreciate the filmmakers and actors for the inventive, entertaining narrative. That said, the studio responsible for the severely limited budget should be reprimanded and folks at SciFi Channel should be ashamed of themselves for these kinds of oversights.

It's hard to imagine that Gene Roddenberry and Isaac Asimov were once on the cable channel's advisory board.

Shut down

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
17 May 2008

Recap: A (mad?) scientist that apparently works to construct androids to save mankind in a post apocalypse world secretly turns himself into one. And secretly he intends to construct more advanced androids and overthrow the human reign on Earth. However, one android develops feelings and conscience and with the help of one human that happens to find himself in the crossfire the challenge the scientist and his army.

Comments: I had some hope for this, but got disappointed. This was too simple. In essence, it was a row of fistfights, nothing more, nothing less. The story and characters were thin and shallow and when the movie pretty soon became repetitive it also became boring. Once there it never redeemed itself and I pretty much shut down. Like an android.

Like the prologue to Matrix

Author: sarastro7
17 November 2008

Machines have taken over, but left humans thinking that they are still the ones in charge. The machine people (androids) need humans because of the human brain fluid; without it the android brains can't work. Until the mad scientist (who was once a human but has replaced all his parts with android parts) finds out how to make this brain fluid artificially. Now the androids no longer need the humans.

Just as this scheme is running its course and the humans are about to be wiped out, one renegade android who was an experimental specimen that turned out to be a bit too human, thwarts the entire scheme, aided by the human man who befriended him and made him see things the human way.

It's not bad. There are built-in references to a lot of classic sci-fi tropes (and movies), and both the two main characters, Scott Bairstow and Joseph Lawrence, are surprisingly likable and act very well. Too bad the budget was the pits (sand pits, to be precise), and the story - especially its resolution - didn't have much depth, but at least the characters felt real, and that's more than I was expecting. I'm going to seek out more work by these actors.

So, a fairly entertaining sci-fi movie. I kinda liked it.

6 out of 10.

Android Apocalypse... It's the end of the movie and I feel fine

Author: julian kennedy from Clearwater Fl
6 October 2009

Android Apocalypse: 4 out of 10: Well it did not make me want to poke my eyes out with a dull fork... so it has that going in its favor.

Dateline the future... Phoenix is a domed city surrounded by a horrifying wasteland. (Kind of like now) Humans are in short supply so androids that look exactly like humans do most of the work. Our mullet wearing racist (androidist?) hero loses his shoveling things job to an android. A few eighties flashback fistfights later and he finds himself on the run through the wasteland handcuffed to an android. (Joey Lawrence of Blossom of all people.) The leads are actually quite good and it is unusual for white trash to be a hero in these (or any) type of films. That is a nice change of pace. The story on the other hand is pretty awful. For example the ending is so truncated they either ran out of money or forgot the whole apocalypse promise of the title.

While Lawrence does his best data impersonation, the other androids are all over the map. Many of them emote more than their human counterparts, while others are clearly the same five grips wearing facemasks.

Set design also needs work. The prison is clearly a factory. The humans headquarters is a glorified office park complete with fernage. (I was having Overdrawn at the Memory Bank flashbacks) In addition, items such as blankets with do not remove tags and Jeep Cherokees litter the film.

Overall a decent if slow Sci-fi time waster. Just do not get you hopes up for an apocalypse.

The usual nonsense

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
10 September 2013

ANDROID APOCALYPSE, a film set in some kind of dodgy post-apocalyptic world where android helpers are now the norm, is the usual kind of cheapo sci-fi made-for-TV movie trash. The central story, about an unlikely relationship between a human and an android wandering through an unfamiliar wilderness, is copied from ENEMY MINE, with the alien replaced by an android.

That's the only interesting part of the story, but sadly the script isn't really up to much and the characterisation is virtually zilch. Scott Bairstow does his best to deliver an edgy performance but Joseph Lawrence mistakes being wooden for being robotic and never comes across as believable in his crucial role. The other androids are even less authentic and the evil-government-corporation stuff is so hackneyed as to be totally passe.

I'm guessing this is a 'SyFy channel' movie because the production values are cheap and cheesy and the special effects are equally cheap and cheesy, and although a little bit fun to go with it. But overall, despite the title promising something explosive and action-packed, ANDROID APOCALYPSE is as defunct as a malfunctioning android and a film whose sole entertainment value comes from watching WWF star Chris Jericho getting beaten up as a robot wrestler.

Not great, but much less painful than I was expecting

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
19 July 2012

I was expecting little, seeing as how awful a lot of SyFy original movies are. Actually while not great, Android Apocalypse is not that bad. It does have a lot of flaws, which I sensed were going to be there. The CGI has been worse before and since but definitely could've done with more clarity and believability, they did look flat and fake-looking. I do agree also about the set design, they don't look bad and are decently lit but they are never authentic, when you should see a prison, then one you should see, not what looks like a factory. The writing is rather shallow and cheesy, and again never feels natural in how it flows, while the story is structurally thin with a lot of the action unexciting and the final twenty minutes were far too overly-silly for my tastes. However, the editing is less haphazard than it often is with SyFy, and the music less generic, actually having a haunting tone. But the real improvements were with the characters and the acting. Instead of the underdeveloped, stereotypical characters we usually see, there is a noble and mostly successful attempt to give the characters some humanity and depth. The acting is often bland, overdone or non-existent, I also didn't find that to be the case here, the leads are especially likable. So all in all, definitely one of Syfy's more tolerable movies though it was still lacking. 5/10 Bethany Cox

High brow concepts on a low brow budget

Author: McQualude from North Carolina
3 October 2009

Honestly I expected to hate this and the first ten minutes didn't dissuade me but quickly after that I became enthralled by the story and watched it through. Ultimately the concept is what makes us human ... our biology or our actions and here the answer is unambiguously 'yes'. ;) Scot Barstow plays Jute, a self respecting human for whom androids have no place in society. Jute loses his job to an android and while drinking off his problems ends up fighting and killing one of the robots. When the android cops come to arrest him, his wife accidentally knocks one down an elevator shaft and is also arrested and convicted. On the way to prison, Jute is handcuffed to a special android, DC, that has developed emotions. During transit the transport is attacked and both Jute and DC escape.

Occasionally the film drags as some secondary character carries on in dialog and the ending is less than inspired but overall the film is directed well, acted well, written well and well worth your time if you have a care for B movies.

Go back to sleep or click to LMN

Author: Jim Armstrong (pettyfog) from United States
23 January 2010

Read the other reviews. They were optimistic. From the same channel that brings you ECW rasslin and Ghost Hunters finding weird stuff going on in creepy places, we get this crap.

Add 'Enemy Mine' to the plot sources.

I would guess 90% of the budget was spent on the flying robot bugs. In the apocalyptic future, the vehicles of choice are Jeep Wranglers and Studio prop trucks. And computers will be Acer Laptops. The GOOD thing is that we were spared the ubiquitous huge slow turning fan blades. Perhaps they were already rented.

As I write this, SKyFIE is showing a Tales from the Crypt episode. For those who think the actors in A-A did okay.. they should compare to the nobodies in 'Tales' The GOOD thing is that in ten years high school kids will be able to make better, more believable, action adventures.. or as good, anyway. Because we all played those roles before we were ten.

Pretty bad ......

Author: mgulev from Copenhagen, Denmark
3 July 2015

After the first five minutes, I could tell this movie was going to be bad. The acting was poor, the writing was poor, the musical score was terrible and the special effects were poor. But to give it a fair review, I had to watch the whole thing. It didn't get much better, although the three main characters were somewhat believable.

Set in the future, where mankind is living in a shielded city, (SPOILERS) a man loses his job to an android and later "kills" an android. He has to set aside his hatred when he is shackled to another android and they escape a prison transport. To make it across the desert, they have to work together. The plot advances without surprises....

Give this movie a miss, unless you really have a thing for unknown actors trying to act like androids.