IMDb > Diggers (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Diggers

Diggers More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Lack of real meaning means insignificant storytelling

Author: stodruza from United States
21 April 2009

With all of its good qualities; the honest acting, the pleasant real ambiance, this film climaxes regrettably with the violence unleashed which is built into the story, sadly enough, which sinks it, and it has nothing really to say. That's how life for these clam diggers is: Drugs, smoking, drinking, fighting, releasing their tensions through sex, which can't in itself make meaningful art.

The protagonist leaves at the end and so what? We feel nothing. I liked this film all the way until the fight, but you know...the violence was built into the script with the husband character. Screenwriter should have taken the story somewhere else more meaningful. Otherwise, an excellent film.

Perfect Storm without the storm

Author: alan_v35 from Canada
12 September 2007

Diggers is a touching character-driven drama about a group of family, friends and lovers living in a small town. It features outstanding acting from a cast made up, mainly, of little-known performers. The characters are interesting and well-developed through authentic dialog and the direction that effectively captures the small-town atmosphere. The story…well, did I mention that the characters and dialog are good? No real story here to speak of; just a meandering tale of people coping with changing life circumstances.

Paul Rudd, semi-familiar from roles in recent comedies like Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin, plays Hunt, the last in a long line of clam diggers in a town where a ruthless corporation named South Shell is squeezing out the small individual clam diggers. Corporations suck. Anyone who doesn't think so, probably works for one. Hunt, along with his friends and family, struggles to come to grips with their dying way of life, as they live and love their way through the story. Maura Tierny is particularly impressive as Hunt's sister and Josh Hamilton is great as his erudite buddy while Alex Pickett steals scene after scene as a father under pressure.

This movie reminds me of Perfect Storm without the storm. The atmosphere is set and the characters are developed, but not much happens. Its not unpleasant to watch and doesn't really drag, but seriously, shouldn't something happen?

This work was first posted on realmoviereview.com

It was the 70's Man not a whole lot happening

Author: knapphistory from Nashville TN
13 May 2007

Speaking as someone who actually was a full time digger on Great South Bay in Patchogue during the era of this movie, I can say to those who weren't, you will not get very much of a handle on what life was really like for us, not that I didn't recognize a lot of the characters in this film. I do applaud the filmmakers for their effort on trying to recreate as much of the clammers water world as they could with the budget they had to work with. The few period clam boats they could find were fairly accurate even if many were way underpowered with what looks like 15 horsepower period engines.

I of course enjoyed the few Long Island locations they used like the Silly Lilly and abandoned Cerullo's fishing stations. That said as a movie it was just OK. Not awful, (you want an awful 70's movie made in the 70's? watch "Two Lane Blacktop " sometime, but it was certainly not great either. The sad commentary I think is that like the industry that once supplied 70% of the worlds shellfish and is long gone, the days of trying to make a movie for a million and half dollars today are long gone too. It seems to me the cast and crew gave it an honest shot though.

Very slow

Author: pomspringz from United States
3 May 2007

I agree with the first reviewer. This movie is way too talky and introspective, and I didn't really care what was happening with the characters. Good performances by Paul Rudd and Ron Eldard. The 1970s setting, its feel and the music are fun. Otherwise, it is a trial getting through this. If you live in New England or have some background in the clam industry, you may enjoy it. In many ways, I found its central premise about the father very annoying. Lauren Ambrose is good, but her portrayal of a hip New York City resident visiting the boonies seemed a little forced. This movie reminded me of "Ice Men" or one of those other male-bonding flicks.

Not that good...

Author: atmadarkwolf from Canada
1 May 2007

I only was able to stay awake for the first half of this movie.. I tried another day to watch it, and managed to get though the whole thing, but sorry, not slow or anything, but I wish I could get that time back.

Very boring movie, not sure what the point of it was, not even sure what the stories of the people were.. was one of those films where you find yourself checking under your nails for dirt, checking the seats for gum, etc.

Very sorry, but not worth a dime. Take your money/time and see a different film. I am sure that this one had a message, but it got lost(since it almost seemed like a job to pay attention, let alone stay awake)

2/10 is my rating.