IMDb > The Dark Knight (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 427: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A Testament to the Stupidity of Our Times

Author: barrygermansky-1 from Canada
22 May 2009

Although suffering from a muddled plot, ill-defined characters, a typically uncharismatic performance by Christian Bale, and a lack of energy, The Dark Knight proved to be on of 2008's greatest commercial and critical successes.

The fact that this film is in the Top Ten list tells me two things: 1) Most of the people who rated this highly are either 10-year-olds or adults with the attention span of 10-year-olds. I do not mean to offend all 10-year-olds, because there are some rare exceptions. But, you can catch my drift.

2) People who rated this highly have not seen many of the other, better films on this list. They have nothing to compare The Dark Knight to.

Anyway, I just hope this film's current standing sinks down far below the 250 mark.

No worth the money

Author: from United States
16 October 2008

My comments refer only to the 2008 USA release, aspect ratio 2.35 : 1 widescreen version (not the IMAX aspect ration 1.44 : 1, which could potentially be better)

Sorry but the movie was AWFUL, Not worth the money!

Special effects aside, gadgets, and the Batmobile which is a dream automobile, the movie runs 152 minutes too long, unnecessary ending, but most importantly does not have any resemblance to the original Batman series or the comic books, neither in character, nor intent.

Best of the movie is the director Christopher Nolan,his attention to detail and superb sequences,i.e: bus braking out of the bank, the capture and return of Lau (Chin Han), the explosion, and the capture of the Joker (Heath Ledger).

The characters are very intense, especially The Joker, Bruce Wayne/Batman, & Harvey Dent/Two-Face. The best and worst of the actors, I'll start with the worse. Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine both accomplished actors they are probably two of the finest alive, Sir Caine was the worst of the supporting characters, neither of the two were convincing, they failed in their craft both were consistently bad actors in this film. The best was Heath Ledger hands down, his performance was top-notch, consistent, but above all spectacular.

There will be a sequel to Batman: The Dark Knight which sincerely hope will be better.

Not even the best movie of 2008.

Author: p_h_a_r_o_a_h_e from United States
28 August 2008

To start, I would like to say that this movie is not even as good as Batman Begins. Christian Bale is one of my favorite actors, Batman is one of the best super heroes, but that still does not mean this equates to The Shawshank Redemption or The Godfather.

This is a very good movie, but it is not deserving of all of the hype surrounding it. Health Ledger's death had more of an impact on this movie's critical acclaim than anything in the actual movie. The Joker is pretty cool because the screen writers made him cool, not because Health Ledger delivered an Oscar worthy performance or any of that other BS. People seem to forget that Liam Neeson played his character in Begins at least as well if not better than Heath Ledger played The Joker. Also, Christian Bale is predominately playing his snobby Bruce Wayne character in this film, which is quite annoying. After seeing the movie, you might even realize that Christian Bale's obscure placement throughout the film is a major flaw.

The Godfather is around 3 hours, this is around 2&1/2 hours, yet this movie feels much slower. Rather than keeping a steady pace, the movie seems to doze off for a while followed by huge explosions and overly drawn out 30 minute action sequences. It's ridiculous.

The best movie of 2008 is In Bruges, not TDK.

all you need to know is......

Author: hughman55 (hnballet@aol.com) from Texas
29 July 2008

I saw this movie on a Monday afternoon in hopes of avoiding a long wait and big crowds at the theater. Good plan. It worked. The movie didn't. Many reviewers have already commented on the gross mediocrity of this film so I'll skip that part. There were some very good, though isolated, moments in the story: a lesson about how torture is wrong and doesn't work, the equal value of all lives regardless of how they have been lived, "abridged" civil rights are neither civil nor right, etc. I like all those concepts and they are certainly worthy of exploration given our current political state.

To me, however, the most prominent feature of this film was neither Heath Ledger, (whom I greatly respect as an actor), Christian Bale, nor the script, directing, story line, performances, or suspense, but rather the gorrific violence that punctuated almost every moment of the more than two and a half hours this thing went on. Everything in this movie explodes!!! And the cut aways in the editing do nothing to mitigate the impact of all the slashing, stabbing, pounding, bludgeoning, shooting, and impaling that becomes ridiculous about halfway through. And though I have enormous respect for him, Ledger's Joker was basically Ted Bundy with face paint. I think the inspiration for this film came more from Oliver Stone's "Natuarl Born Killers" than from anything that was ever written in a comic book.

All you need to know is this... In the last ten minutes of the film, with the body count hovering somewhere around 100, a scene begins to unfold where a young child is about to be murdered in cold blood, (those of you who have seen the movie know what I'm talking about). The scene goes on for what I thought was an excruciatingly long time, but even as it was just beginning I was thinking to myself, "no, no, no, this is wrong. This should not be done this way in a movie". Then somewhere in the theater, behind me, a child began sobbing uncontrollably. Yes, real terror, real horror, real fear, a real child, right there in the theater. The scene finally came to an end. The sobbing didn't. As the lights came up for us to leave I saw a couple escorting their approximately 12 year old son out of the theater, still sobbing, and hanging on to his parents' clothing as they walked out.

I don't blame the parents. This movie's PG13 rating is unconscionable. This is a "Batman" movie! With a PG13 rating! "Batman" originated from a children's comic book series. One would think that this movie would be a safe experience for children. It's not. Given the grotesque thread of constant violence that runs from the opening credits to the closing credits it's not even suitable for adults. Several of the postings here at IMDb with the lowest ratings have noted that they are putting their rating as low as possible to balance out the overly generous perfect scores that have vaulted this movie into the position of being one of the greatest film ever,according to IMDb. Not me. I really didn't like this movie. And in the last ten minutes of it I came to hate it. It does not do service to the Batman franchise, or movies in general. There is not a shred of "comic book" appeal in it anywhere, and it will take it's place as one of the most uselessly violent movies ever made. That this offering has the broad appeal it has makes me a little sad, and sick inside. And if I could speak for the poor kid that was sitting behind me during this bloated gore fest I'd say this, "thanks for the memories".

The Age of Commercialism

Author: beautifulwind-1
17 June 2009

There is not really any reasonable explanation why there are so many junk movies with ratings over 8 in IMDb except the fact that unfortunately we are living in the age of materialism and total commercialism. Before mentioning anything about The Dark Knight itself I should point out that the movie business started as an experiment and furthermore, it was (and I hope it still is) art. If you are a part of the lucky people that had the chance to watch old movies (starting from the early 1900s) then you probably have noticed that despite the bad quality the technique and the style of directing, cinematography, acting and "special effects" are fascinating. They are modern, sincere, effective, touching. That's where art starts and flourishes. However, if you take all the pointed out and replace them with high quality computer effects, deafening soundtrack, good looking actors, banal plot and the appealing to the masses simple conflict of Good vs Bad; well, here is where commercialism begins its unstoppable brainwashing system. The Dark Knight fits exactly the formula. Nothing more to say.

To those who agree: There are still some great new movies coming out. It just takes time to find them. Don't be discouraged by the overwhelming amount of junk films.

To those who disagree: Well, consider watching Casablanca, Silence of the Lambs, Amadeus, Star Wars :p, etc?

To those who don't take a side: Now is the time to do so.

To Heath Ledger: You were just great and sorry to know this was the last time to see you. [17 June 2009]

Later ... Here now as I watched the film for a second time so that I would be entirely fair in my judgment I realized that 8/10 is a fair rating BUT and only BUT when The Dark Knight is rated on a different scale such as "Top movies based on a comics". And what is a comics other than a combination of a simple plot, good vs evil, black and white characters, lots of action? The end. When a movie has nothing more to add - no fair character development/acting, no original twists in the chain of events, no unique directing techniques... then one cannot give it more than 5/10. And since the IMDb has a great image the only way users can help keeping it safe and sound is by taking a little more seriously their voting rights. [30 June 2009]

When they said 'Dark' did they mean a coal mine at night

Author: billpappas-1 from United States
23 April 2009

I just rented this from Netflix and forced myself to watch it till the end. What a dreadful, boring yet expensive movie. It was so dimly lit, they could have had any of the thousands of out-of-work actors in Southern California in it with no perceptible difference. I guess a couple more explosions would have helped (not really). I only watched it cause of Heath Ledger's excellent performance in Brokeback Mountain. Boy, was I disappointed. I didn't care about anyone while watching except for myself who was waiting for it to end. At times the dialog was difficult to understand with the volume way up but the loud soundtrack made every sound effect rattle the furniture.

I just don't get what passes for great entertainment nowadays. I had to watch some old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons afterward as an intelligent antidote to this cartoonish movie that tries for so much significance, an odd combination. It's like looking for significance and the meaning of life in an infomercial. Don't bother.

Hyped and a little overrated, this is a good film but with many flaws

Author: wouterdirks from Netherlands
4 August 2008

I think the hype around this movie makes people completely overrate it. OK Heath does a great job at the joker but the movie itself has many flaws:

1. The balance between good and badguy is all out of sync. Batman fades into the background, he also has way less dialog than the joker. This makes the movie unbalanced. I think they re-cut the movie after Heaths death, to put him in the foreground.

2. The movie is tooooo long, this story can be shorter with less redundant scenes, its like they couldn't choose what to put in, so they just put all of it in! This gave me and some of my friends several *yawn* moments near the end.

3. Gotham city looks like a normal city. In "batman begins" it had a real comic feel but in this movie it doesn't, which is a shame really.

4. The point of the movie, (i wont tell u what it is) but yes, this action movie tries to make a philosophical point. Of course this can be great, but in this movie it gets chewed over and over and over and then it gets forced down your throat.

5. Lack of humor. An occasional sharp or funny dialog would have been great, however the dialogs arnt very good and they're never funny.

6. The plot devices are really quite lame. I wont go into details but most of the plot devices are silly and inspirationless, even the comic manages to feel more realistic than that. Somehow the movie doesn't manage to convince the audience of its own logic, probably cause there is none.

All in all its a fun movie, with great performance by Heath as the joker, however it is not the masterpiece people try to turn it into. It doesn't deserve a place in the top 250, and it is not the best movie of 2008. Of course, if you settle for mediocrity this is the movie for you!

Why so much hype?

Author: lowellmontgomery
4 September 2008

Okay, so they built a good villain in the Joker, but the plot was just a bit too unbelievable to hold together. I'm not going to add any spoilers here, but if you want a big-budget, action- adventure escape that totally relies on the rendering farms that had to handle all the special effects... and don't mind plot-holes the Hindenburg could fly through, this film is for you.

IMHO, this film doesn't deserve all the hype. Look at reviews from people who "hated it" and see why. Once the hype has died down and people get over their brainwash to overrate this over-produced Hollywood crap, we should see ratings more in line with the film's true value. I didn't walk out, but that was because I had such high expectations. I'd hope to see this rated a '4', maybe even as high as a '6' by the average public. I'm rating this a '1' to try to offset the obvious shills and excessive hype. This is, by no means, "the best film of the summer"... but in its favor, it does give better balance to the darkness of Batman. If it weren't for the growing trend in bucking the old "feel-good Hollywood ending" routine... if it weren't becoming cliché to kill off "good guys" and create characters with seeming hearts of gold, who turn half-evil, I'd say this film had something unique; but that whole scenario is now a formula for making a film armchair critics will say has "depth"... pffff...

Save your time and money and rent an old classic favorite that you somehow never managed to see. Or go have a picnic with your loved ones. The alternative is two-and-a-half hours you won't get back; don't waste it to further enrich Warner Bros.

Hmm, the most overrated junk movie, I have seen in my whole life

Author: caramb
24 August 2008

This movie is a non-plot action-packed propaganda movie. Which wouldn't be so bad but the combination is such that it IS the worst movie I have ever seen in my whole life. Seriously, when I came out of the movie theatre I was sick and angry at the same time. The whole movie is about approach towards the various kinds of villains, how they are and how they should be generally handled. You have about twenty propaganda lines, towards which each part of the film leads, those parts connected by a very feeble link. You could almost see the authors as they thought, hmm, we need to put this line into the movie, what circumstances will lead the hero or antihero to tell the audience this truth? Of course that made the movie a two hour drag where the twists and turns of fortune made you think if it wasn't a 10yr old child who wrote it. Ha, the setup worked we caught the Joker. Oh, Joker escaped, what are we gonna do? Then the good guys would realize that Joker wanted them to set up a trap, he wanted to be caught so as to get ..., escape and harm even more. Well, that is so childishly ridiculous, first surrealistic propaganda movie ever.

So guys out there in the US remember. When you get spied through your cell phones, when your dear ones die in stead of a rich undercover agent, don't feel offended. Because to fight the "crime" or "terrorism", we don't need the good heroes (those apparently end up as dead half-faced wackos). We need dark knights. Sorry for my bad English. I needed to get this off my chest. So much approval, 9.2 user rating here, 94% on rottentomatoes, are that many people so simple or so easily bought?

Just what Iexpected - It's a self-parody

Author: fabyss from Hungary
31 October 2008

This movie has proved again, that cartoon means junk, and whatever you do starting from a cartoon, it will still be junk. At least now someone else in Hollywood realized this, and made a real good parody of the cartoon genre. An extra joke is, that all this was masked as a serious superhero cartoon movie. Just some of the best hidden jokes I've found behind the cliché story:

1. Batman kills at least a dozen of cops during the car chase, and makes some million $ worth of damage in the road, buildings. etc., but he is still the good guy. Sure.

2. All the citizens in Gotham are totally stupid. First of all, they don't realize, that the only person, who has enough money to buy those hi-tech gadgets is Bruce Wayne, and nobody realizes, who Batman is. Second, it doesn't matter, that Batman's mask is covering only a small part of his face (his forehead and nose), they still don't realize, who is "hiding" behind the mask By the way, did you notice, that there is a face recognition software running on one of the monitors in Batman's hideout? The very same happened in the previous Batman franchise - looks like folks in Gotham didn't get any smarter in the past decades.

3. Looking at the height of the pile, I guess that the amount of cash Joker is burning is more than there is in circulation in the whole world.

4. All the mobs are stupid enough to keep their money in cash, so if they want to make a transfer, they have to hire a dozens of trucks. They haven't ever heard about electronic money. If they are so stupid, then how they can run a syndicate?

5. Some billion worth of hi-tech gadgets is hiding in the basement of Wayne company. For years in nobody's mind turned up the idea to find a customer and make some money of it. They just wasted some million $ into it, and later they decided to hide it.

6. The way the bat car and the bat bike moves is totally unrealistic. Also, such vehicles would be totally unpractical. For example, why are the wheels of the bat car in the front of the vehicle? Anyone can shot it with a simple pistol (these are rubber wheels), and game is over. The stupid design of the vehicle is proved in one scene, when Joker immobilizes the car (supposedly worths some million$ + the development costs, as this is a prototype) with a common RPG, which costs only a handful of dollars.

7. When they bring down the chopper with the steel cables, the two guys must have know in advance, that exactly where (which street and what height) the chopper will go through. Keep in mind, that according to the plot, all these Joker sidekicks are mentally retarded people. And doesn't matter, that the chase is half a dozen mile long, they are just in the exact time at the exact place.

8. Hey terrorists and wannabe terrorists! I have some good news for you! It looks like, that if you want to kill a major, then all you have to do is to get an uniform. (An uniform can be bought in any costume shop, you don't even have to beat policemen and take away from them like in the movie.) Then you can approach the major to point blank distance - the only problem is, that there are oracles in the police, too, who can predict the future, and jump between you and the major even before you pull the trigger.

9. Blowing a building is an easy process. High explosives are strange artifacts, as you can move and properly plant hundred kilos within a couple of minutes into the designated places of a building. Also, when you blow up a building, you can stay 10 meters away from it, and you will suffer no damage from debris, rubble and/or air pressure.

10. Ship crews are incredibly dumb. They can't realize that there are hundreds of gasoline in the engine room. Or even if they have found it, then they may have thought, that the captain is going to throw a surprise party for the whole crew, and in the barrels there is the stuff necessary for such party (vaseline).

These are just some quick random things I can remember, I don't want to waste much time commenting this disaster. Let's not talk about obvious plot holes, pointless violence, superfluous subplots, and Bale acting like a wood - oh my god, why that deep voice when dressed as Batman?