IMDb > The Dark Knight (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 412: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

One of the Best Superhero movies EVER!!!!!!!

Author: baltazar07
15 January 2012

I saw the dark knight about three years ago when I was in the 8th grade. And I was blown away at how beautifully done it was, the camera work, the acting, the story, it all took me by surprise. It is to this day one of the best movies I have ever seen or will see. No other movie can impact you in such an intense way than The Dark Knight. It is a movie worth seeing due to the fact that the workers put so much time and effort into this one film and they did not want to waste money putting up garbage. So Christopher Nolan, thank you for not wasting our time, instead earning our time with this film. To this day I still am anxious to see the movie at home. I recommend it to anyone who likes action movies in general. To anyone who doesn't, don't waste your time write bad reviews about this film.

Erm...really? (may be a couple of spoilers)

Author: planetsurreal from United Kingdom
26 July 2008

Wow. Once again my faith in the rational persons ability to discriminate between depth and breadth, is verified, in that I have none.

The film was long. Not deep. I think there is a misunderstanding. The film had the veneer of an epic film. It had all the right elements to be an epic comic-book adaptation to screen. Yet it faltered, mainly because everyone was so wrapped up in the idea of Ledger giving a career defining performance, they couldn't see past it. It's almost as if they accepted the brilliance of his performance before they entered the theatre, off of the back of the hype and the critics reviews, and all that was left was to actually watch it and be able to validate this belief.

Disregarding Heath Ledgers untimely death, can you really say that he was a better Joker than Jack Nicholsons? I for one, cannot. Others have already said it; he had no back story. A character without a past and a motive - especially when they are a killer - is just not one that is appropriate to a story about good and evil. The things we like about villains is that we can relate to the reasons they do the things they do, whilst asking ourselves whether their reasons are justified. We get into a dialogue, and we ourselves get to decide who we side with - the good or the bad. This villain left me feeling flat and unfulfilled because he had no real motive, - making it impossible to choose which argument, good or bad, I sided with - and left me feeling like I was a voyeur, watching a guy kill loads of people.

Everyone has been raving about the script, which I thought was plain dreadful at points. Others have raised the questions here. What was with his voice? He would make a great nursery nurse. The poignant moment on the boat when the sailor said something to the effect of "They haven't pushed the button yet, because we are still alive" was just plain embarrassing. The fact that Batman kept leaving in the middle of a conversation became irritating instead of cool and enigmatic. Why can't he just hear someone out. And at the end when batman runs home like Charlie, I was nearly dying in laughter. I could hear the music 'I've got a golden ticket'. There were other embarrassing script moments, but because the film was so bad, I can't even be bothered to mention them. The phone device for one was utter...

The rhetoric of the characters in their oratorical moments was again, limp. It was as if the writer had started a sadistic, flowing evil speech, but had not had the tools with which to really elaborate. Because he had decided to keep the Jokers background exclusive, the speeches were neither funny or scary. They were punctured and lacked conviction.

The fact that this is the number one movie is embarrassing. IMDb should take it off out of principle. If this wins an Oscar, I will never watch a Hollywood movie again.

The Dark Knight Delivers

Author: miscellaneous411 from United States
19 July 2008

The Dark Knight maintained the intensity and overall gunmetal grayish feel that sets this Batman apart. The film takes us to a Gotham City that has grown accustomed to the big bat's crime-fighting crusades, and the last remaining big time criminals have actually grown fearful of his wrath. They form an alliance to attempt to keep their illicit business activities alive but are feeling even more pressure from yet a different angle: the passionate and fearless new district attorney, Harvey Dent. Recognizing the crime group's looming extinction, a stranger enters their circle and offers what he thinks is the only solution: kill Batman.

The bad guys don't know if they can trust this seemingly demented madman, and they later learn the hard way that they don't really have a choice, for the most disturbing part of the Joker's personality is his motive. He doesn't care about money or power. He just enjoys causing trouble and watching, with pleasure, from the sidelines, as the terrorized city scrambles in mayhem...which leads me to the real star of this film, Heath Ledger.

Ledger's performance as the Joker is astounding and consuming. We come face-to-face with a villain bearing the coldness of a psychopath and a personality that remains as mysterious and inexplicable as the real reason for the scars on his face. He develops the air of the lone offender quite early on as he nonchalantly kills those who help him commit his crimes. Yet, he has no problem building an army of followers, and the viewers easily find that believable. As insane as he is, he's focused and quite determined. Ledger also brings the Joker's humor to the role, but he does it in a way that is unique to this interpretation...with subtlety and honesty. The very words and mannerisms that made me laugh also evoked feelings of sadness in its clarity. The evil is incredibly convincing.

Although Batman is a character that is often marketed towards kids, this film is definitely not appropriate for young children. In addition to the dark images, the violence, both seen and implied, is sometimes unsettling, and Ledger's Joker is chilling even for adult viewers. Having said that, this is, by far, one of the best films I've ever seen, and it will easily find a place in my personal top ten. I am only disappointed that this Joker, the best villain in a film since Hannibal Lecter, will never be revealed to us again.

Why so happy? Let's put a frown on that face!

Author: blackaugust79 from United States
29 March 2009

I know this review will get a bunch of unhelpful votes but somebody has to tell the truth here! The Dark Knight is wildly overrated and is the most overrated movie of all time. Forget Titanic, Boondock Saints and King Kong(2005). This movie surpasses them when it comes to sheer hype. For the record I love Batman Begins. I thought it was a fresh beginning on a series that was rendered ineffective by that lunatic Joel Schumacher. Christian Bale fared well as both Batman and Bruce Wayne and the rest of the cast did a great job also. But this movie.... Everything that made Batman Begins so great is absent from this pretentious slop. Most of the cast look like they'd rather be somewhere else. Let me break it down this way with what stinks about this movie.

The plot: Idiotic beyond belief. Joker(Heath Ledger) plans to kill city officials while playing childish games with Batman. Most of the time he's killing the people he's aligned with making him the most moronic villain in superhero movie history. Batman joins forces with Commissioner Gordon to stop him.

The acting: Christian Bale is wooden in both roles(Batman and Bruce Wayne). He spends most of the movie looking like he's stoned out of his mind. And what is up with that voice? In Batman Begins he sounded cool like one of the gangsters from those old 1940s flicks. Here he sounds like Dirty Harry with strep throat. Aaron Eckhart is flat as both Harvey Dent and Two-Face. While his Two-Face was better than Tommy Lee's Two-Face looking good by default is never good. Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman sleepwalk through this whole movie. Maggie Gyllenhaal is quite awful as Rachel Dawes. Katie Holme's Rachel Dawes was a strong willed lawyer that fought for what's right. Maggie's Rachel Dawes needs to grow up and find some better priorities. I agree that she is a step up from Katie Holmes but she plays Rachel Dawes like some silly high school girl with a pathetic crush on Bruce Wayne. The fact that we are asked to feel sympathy for her when The Joker captures her is a bit of a stretch. Her getting roasted made my day though lol!

Now for the talk of the town: Heath Ledger as Joker. Heath Ledger's performance was okay but to say that he was better than Jack Nicholson's Joker is hilarious to say the least. Jack Nicholson's Joker had style, a plan and was pretty funny as well as unpredictable. Of course he was silly but he was fun. Heath Ledger's Joker is predictable with no back story and had no real plan. Just random acts of chaos. Ra's Al Ghul had a plan, The Joker of Batman 1989 had a plan, The Penguin of Batman Returns had a plan. This weirdo had nothing but bluff. Plus he's has no fun with what he does and spends most of the time ridiculously philosophizing like those corny emo-goth kids that smoke copious amounts of cigarettes while yapping about the misery of their lives. You complete me? That's about as cheesy as the Tumbler turning into a crappy motorcycle. Speaking of Emo-Goth kids that exactly what this Joker is. Only people actually find him cool instead of pathetic.

Action sequences: predictable to a fault. Car chase and fights scenes plus they are quite unrealistic. People get punched, kicked, shot, bitten by dogs and knocked around by explosions and walk away without bumps, bruises, cuts or blood. Now, Im not a gore hound but if you get shot or bitten by a dog, I would expect to see some blood. Not in the Dark Knight though.

Pacing: The movie builds up a pace to slow it down after wards and with all the action on the screen the movie still finds time to be boring. Plus at 2 hours and 32 minutes this movie feels longer than it needs to be. Various subplots that never connect best describe most of this movie.

Conclusion: The Dark Knight is the most overrated, most hypocritical, most pretentious piece of garbage in the history of cinema. The only people that would like this are the fanboys and I cant believe that people are trouncing Tim Burton's Batman movies to foam at the mouth like rabid dog groupies over this overcooked sequel. You pseudo-intellectual snobs don't seem to realize that those movies were great for the time they were made in and they were fun. Tim Burton made the type of Batman movie he wanted to make without trying to please these shills. I must have seen the Tim Burton Batman movies more times than I can count and still have a ball watching them till this day. I saw this dreck three times and still couldn't get into it. Its not even fun. Its a plodding mess that gets more hype than it deserves. Matter of fact, I'll tell how much I didn't like it. For months I had The Dark Knight on my computer for free via z-share and when my computer suffered from a virus that force me to erase the whole thing, this was the only movie through z-share that I never tried to get back. That should tell you everything you need to know about my feelings on this movie. Two Thumbs down.

Fantastic!

Author: krazycrukids from United States
11 January 2012

Im just gonna start off by saying I LOVE this movie.Its one of my favorites of all time. I honestly cant think of too much wrong with this movie other than its a little long and Batmans by now infamous voice. But everything else is top notch. The acting,story,atmosphere,and actions scenes are all amazing. If you haven't seen this movie see it right now! I went into this not expecting to much but I came out blown away, I cant imagine any movie being much better. I'll just have to wait for The Dark Knight Rises to release to see if anything can be better. Until then, this stands as the best movie I've ever seen

I didn't like it! Oh! Heaven for offend!!!

Author: ddfcmp8 from midwest
15 December 2008

There is nothing special about this movie. Period. Nothiing special. It tries on so many levels to be this big mega movie, and in financial terms, it was, but you know what? It's still not good, no matter how many fans it has, no matter how much money it pulls in. Those are just figures and numbers, and they're quite boring in the long run. Let's go over a few reasons why it was not good. First off, the story bites off way more than is necessary. We have Bruce Wayne in this ridiculous attempt to win back a woman he'll never have the chance to be with. The woman he is in love with prances around like a little school girl, and really has no business being in the story to begin with. She is just there to make both Batman and Harvey Dent rival each other. I'm so sure that the writers could have come up with a better plan to pit the two against each other than that. Then, there's the Joker...the most ridiculous part of the story. Ridiculous because of the lengths and the means that the filmmakers took to bring a new kind of villain. It's not entertaining, it's not disturbing, it's just sick. This movie was not fun. It was not entertaining. It was a product for the mindless audiences who were going to buy into it anyway, and especially because of the death of Heath edger. Let's talk a little about that. This film had success that rode the curtail of Ledgers death. The studio deliberately used the poor suffering of a human being to push a film into exhibition. That's really sad, and you know what else? It's all this film will ever be...the last film of Heath Ledger, and America went to see it because he died before it's release. sad. Really sad. I didn't like it, and I bet others will not like me for that very reason. Even more sad still.

Wonderful. How superhero movies should be made!

Author: tiger jack (warthogjump@hotmail.com) from Australia
26 March 2011

Quite simply "Dark Knight" is the best superhero movie ever made (ok, KickAss is the only competitor, but strictly speaking, it isn't a "proper" superhero movie, so let's forget about that).

Batman is tough, Batman is loved, Batman is weak, Batman is hated. Batman has human characteristics. Batman's enemies have human characteristics. This is the first and main reason Dark Knight succeeds. It isn't "just" a superhero movie. It's also a study of character, of good and of "dark" and of perception of "society." I mean, it does this so well I sometimes think the superhero content is just a scapegoat for the deeper thought in the movie even though I know at the same that it's not.

Secondly, Batman doesn't do anything too unbelievable. Look at Superman, he's flying. Look at Spiderman, he's got webs coming out of his palms. Look at the Hulk he can get MASSIVE when he is angry. That's all cool and entertaining, but Batman is, imo, the superhero whom we can connect to the closest, because he doesn't have these "abilities" about him which are soooo unrealistic.

So, both his inner and outer character are human like which makes the movie so much more enjoyable.

The action? The action in Dark Knight is amazing! Batman's car is amazing! The special effects are amazing! It is a phenomenal piece of work crafting a movie where it looks and feels fantastic!

I won't talk much about Heath Ledger's portrayal of the joker. It's definitely his best performance ever, and what better time to have it just before his death, peace be upon him. I hate a ball watching the guy act. He's just created an insanely unique persona. I loved it!

Everything in Dark Knight works. It's got so much novelty to it. It's a rare piece of cinema where prima facie it's for kids, but ultimately, adults will end up enjoying it much more. Dark Knight isn't for kids anyway, they wont be able to comprehend the bigger picture in Dark Knight, which is what makes this movie so special.

It's cool It's original It's awesome

I can't believe how it wasn't nominated for a Best Picture. Oscars were probably too stunned at how good a super hero movie could be. Did I mention I also love Gary Oldman, the guy plays a different person in every movie, I can never tell its him

I was disappointed by Batman Begins, was expecting the worst, and i got the best.

Author: Chiyonosake23 from Hungary
1 February 2010

First of all things i should say i am a comic-book fan. From Eastern Europe. Why is this important? Because here its something really different then in the USA. In the USA comic-books are part of the everyday life. Here it is not. Here it is an underrated genre, and most of the people still think it is something sissy for small children and contains only fighting and dialogue no higher level then Kapow and Boom-Boom. And it was even worse when i was little. It was always a little treasure hunt to get some. And most of them was bad rip-off, cheap junk from the above mentioned category, and it was only Batman, who continually represented quality and was available for a kid like me too. And i was amused and loved it. Not Batman in the first place, but the amazing villains. And especially Joker. He was the best of the best. Maybe the most complex, interesting and remarkable character ever created.

And to tell the truth, i wasn't entirely satisfied with either one of the Batman films made up to the Dark Knight. Especially considering that there was an absolutely brilliant animated series: Batman the Animated Series, check it out if you like Batman, well worth it. They first 3 movies were okay, but the Batman and Robin and Batman Begins both sucked big time, but for different reasons. I lost hope i will ever see a really good and faithful adaptation of this comic. Then along came this one.

Yes it has some overdone parts, some flaws here and there, a bit rushed and corny ending, but its good, meaningful, and Heath Ledger (who i disliked before i saw this) is the absolutely perfect Joker. When i saw the casting, i thought it is a disgrace. After i saw the movie i thought he was unearthly good. The film has suspense, great acting, emotions, and a very interesting and coherent plot which is very rare in Hollywood blockbusters. Well worth watching for anyone and everyone. Especially for people, who think comic-books are sissy things for little children...

The best Batman film yet.

Author: leanes-1 from United Kingdom
10 August 2008

One couldn't help be sceptical of the hype surrounding The Dark Knight before having seen it, scepticism was certainly weighing on my mind as i walked into the cinema. I couldn't help thinking 'is this going to be as amazing as expected, or is the hype just an inevitable reaction to the death of Heath Ledger?' I can safely say to anyone still having not seen The Dark Knight; the hype would've been just as massive even if Ledger hadn't tragically overdosed during filming, The film is mind-blowingly amazing! The action sequences, The dialogue, the editing, the lighting, the costume, the score, the cinematography, The Ledger, The Bale, The Eckhart, The Freeman, The every-single-tiny-bit of cinema... is brilliant.

There's not the slightest whiff of the child-friendly-cinema that tore Tim Burton's vision apart all those (not many) years ago. Eckhart's Dent/Two-Face, blows Tommy Lee Jones out of the metaphorical water, the only shame is that his performance will be overshadowed by Ledger's even better one, and indeed his tragic demise.

Every insane laugh from Ledger's lips echoes with excellence, Jack Nicholson should be very very very proud. However, Ledger's delivery, commitment, presence and dress-wearing-ability far surpass the realms of merely paying homage to Nicholson's Joker. Nolan and Ledger really show Burton and Nicholson just how darkly immense the joker can be.

Not to forget Bale, who brings his portrayal of Batman (and the barking voice it brings) to the next level, the depth and inner conflict create an excellent empathy effect on the audience and also create ridiculously good viewing.

I could go on all day, going into every actors success, about how immense The Dark Knight is... but i think you probably get the message by now.

As undoubtedly one of the most difficult films to bring to the public, a film so swamped with hype, tragedy, death and scandal; The Dark Knight could easily have been written off with the tragic death of Heath Ledger, we should thank God that it wasn't.

Bat-A-Man!

Author: himaank from India
17 August 2008

There is just one thing that differentiates a legend from ordinary man. It's his fight with inner demons to over come all his fear. That defines a legend. And this is what Batman stands for. Batman is not just another comic character but it's a complete saga of how you stand tall in spite of losing everything, walk fearlessly even when you are lonely and how you fight back against all odds and over shadow your own fear. Fear- the most dominated emotion, mankind has ever witnessed. Batman is no exception, he still has fear, he still gets scared of losing those who are close to him and he is still in doubts when it comes to decision. But what is interesting and inspirational about Batman is that he has the ability to use wisely the biggest and most dangerous weapons of all time perfectly- BRAIN! That's why he is my favourite comic character and this time, Batman is putting everything on the line to save the world from out of control freak- the Joker.

A spell bounded performance by Heath Ledger as the Joker. Though, he is no more with us but his immortal act as joker is an Oscar winning performance and will always be remembered. Your heart comes out to mouth to see the horror Joker creates. In start, I was bit confused as his performance reminded me of Jack Nicholson from the first Batman movie but later, I realised that this is for real. He did not imitate Jack but showcased the true and horrible side of a real joker. The best part about Heath is that he displayed the flip side of a joker- FEARLESS. There are many times when we feel that some one could have done better with certain roles but not here. Here, Heath is perfect as a joker and from now on, I will call him Heath 'Joker' Ledger!

The story is about a terror that has shaken the underworld of Gotham. The fear of Batman is getting in to criminal minds and all of them are now thinking where their money can be saved from Batman's reach. And that's where the Joker comes with a plan to these criminals- kill Batman. Now with his perverted mind, the Joker is behind Batman's life and what follows is a scary hell of a ride of hide n seek game of faith vs. courage. At one end, Joker has no fear and on the other, Batman has a responsibility of saving Gotham. Now the important question is that who will win and more than that at what cost?

Apart from breaking box office records, this movie is also able to break the pattern of film making. Batman series is an action series. When you make an action movie you give the required pace in a movie by focusing on elaborating the action scenes but here, the director builds the movie with a mix of action as well as other emotional scenes. Step by step movie gives its audience action and emotion at the time when it's required but with an unexpected style. Dark, intense and a complete Batman style.

The Batman movies are famous for its back ground music and The Dark Knight is no exception. Specially, when there is sound of a whistle in background of some intense scenes in the movie. I felt a rush in to my blood and boiling my brain. My eyes popped out while watching those scenes. To mention, Batman's grilling session with the Joker is a masterpiece. The scene was simply awesome mainly coz of background music.

Harvey Dent's character could have been better post he becomes 2-faced. I was expecting his character to be more involved and longer in the series. Rachel Dawes is also a very strong influencing character in the movie. Her involvement in the movie is much focused than Katie Holmes in Batman Begins but the point I'm making here is the glam factor in this movie. She was not given that much footage in a glamorous way. Nevertheless, the plot did not allow audience to think that way either. Action scenes in this movie are well thought of and will chill the audiences' spinal chords. My favourite is the chase scene where Joker is trying best to catch Harvey Dent and how Batman comes in between. This is where Batman says 'asta la vista' and welcomes his new girl friend- his damn new bike! It's called Batpod! I can imagine how excited you will be when you know that Batman is now going to catch the Joker and Joker is happy that Batman has missed his shot. This is sheer delight to watch the creative involvement of special effects blended with brilliant cinematography.

Unlike other Hollywood flicks, The Dark Knight is a lengthy movie of more than 2 ½ hrs of non-stop adrenaline but you won't mind spending that much time watching it. Many times we feel that some movies could've been shorter and some lengthier but with 'The Dark Knight' that's not the case. It's mainly because the movie ends up at the time when it is required to scroll the curtains down. I was so satisfied while coming out from the movie hall. Perfect ending!

Well, The Dark Knight is just a beginning. Now I'm expecting the Penguin and the Riddler to come in to the picture and take this battle ahead.

As I said earlier, I'm a big fan of Batman and after this movie, I'm mad about not just Batman, but each and every part of his movies, music and, The Joker!. Now, while I'm rushing straight to the nearest movie store to buy all original movies and soundtracks of Batman series, you go ahead and enjoy a fearless life just like the Joker or Batman- choice is yours!