IMDb > The Dark Knight (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 434: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

The Dark Knight Delivers

Author: miscellaneous411 from United States
19 July 2008

The Dark Knight maintained the intensity and overall gunmetal grayish feel that sets this Batman apart. The film takes us to a Gotham City that has grown accustomed to the big bat's crime-fighting crusades, and the last remaining big time criminals have actually grown fearful of his wrath. They form an alliance to attempt to keep their illicit business activities alive but are feeling even more pressure from yet a different angle: the passionate and fearless new district attorney, Harvey Dent. Recognizing the crime group's looming extinction, a stranger enters their circle and offers what he thinks is the only solution: kill Batman.

The bad guys don't know if they can trust this seemingly demented madman, and they later learn the hard way that they don't really have a choice, for the most disturbing part of the Joker's personality is his motive. He doesn't care about money or power. He just enjoys causing trouble and watching, with pleasure, from the sidelines, as the terrorized city scrambles in mayhem...which leads me to the real star of this film, Heath Ledger.

Ledger's performance as the Joker is astounding and consuming. We come face-to-face with a villain bearing the coldness of a psychopath and a personality that remains as mysterious and inexplicable as the real reason for the scars on his face. He develops the air of the lone offender quite early on as he nonchalantly kills those who help him commit his crimes. Yet, he has no problem building an army of followers, and the viewers easily find that believable. As insane as he is, he's focused and quite determined. Ledger also brings the Joker's humor to the role, but he does it in a way that is unique to this interpretation...with subtlety and honesty. The very words and mannerisms that made me laugh also evoked feelings of sadness in its clarity. The evil is incredibly convincing.

Although Batman is a character that is often marketed towards kids, this film is definitely not appropriate for young children. In addition to the dark images, the violence, both seen and implied, is sometimes unsettling, and Ledger's Joker is chilling even for adult viewers. Having said that, this is, by far, one of the best films I've ever seen, and it will easily find a place in my personal top ten. I am only disappointed that this Joker, the best villain in a film since Hannibal Lecter, will never be revealed to us again.

very weak, unfortunately

Author: valkyria4 from Canada
7 August 2008

I'm very disappointed and this rating reflects my disappointment. It could have been so much better, easily. First, it's as if there's no obstacles the characters couldn't overcome by snapping their fingers. It's just too easy for the Joker and Batman to do all what they do. It seems the writers didn't want to be bothered by realism and it's one of the main reasons I didn't feel involved or excited at all. Batman pulls out technological rabbits out of his hat to move the plot forward - it's contrived and not entertaining. The Joker sets bombs anywhere he wants without facing any obstacles. His team of super terrorists can fill a whole hospital with explosives in a few minutes after it has been evacuated - or was it before? Anyway we don't see them setting up anything, everything is done off-screen and it goes into action without any kind of dramatic buildup. How did his gang do this or that? Doesn't matter cause there's an explosion coming soon. *YAWN*

The Joker starts with a small gang but in only a few days or so it seems he builds a big organization capable of operating rapidly without flaws - a group we are told made up of many schizos and psychos from Arkham Asylum, as if they had all been released all of a sudden to join him and moreover in doing so became hyperobedient and hypercompetent robbers / explosive experts / terrorists / etc. Yeah. Right. As if running a criminal organization made up of Arkham inmates would be a piece of cake. It would have been so much more REALISTIC and ENTERTAINING to see the Joker having to deal with nutty and sometimes incompetent henchmen and we the viewers doubting whether or not he would succeed and yet pulling it off and laughing all the way up to the last confrontation. Instead he surfs on the action, survives all kinds of explosions and crashes and moves around as if Gotham City was butter and he a hot knife. *YAWN*

Second, the style & editing of the movie was mediocre at best. You would think the Joker's first meeting with the mob would have something of a tension. Here we are introduced to Batman's no.1 enemy and he tells them they have to kill the Dark Knight. But the way it was shot the scene was cold, he simply goes in, makes a few enemies and leaves. And next The Joker invites himself to Bruce Wayne's party to kidnap Harvey Dent and he simply comes in, Voilà!, without facing any obstacles, there's no buildup, no dramatic crescendo, the pace stays the same, we get lots of quick shots, a constantly moving camera and even one or two 360 degrees around Joker and Rachel as if this was some kind of music video. There's nothing, no tension. And it went downhill from there, like a typical dumb action movie. Explosion, car chase, car chase, explosion, fight, car chase, explosion. Can't you guys come up with something original? And those action scenes aren't even well made. *YAWN*

Why? After all you had an ace, The Joker, he should have had some cool crazy ideas to cause mayhem... but he didn't. He lacked the charisma that should be in such a character. Not that Ledger is bad but the character he plays has nothing special. He's cold, predictable and not funny. In Tim Burton's movie the man isn't just some psycho killer, you know early in the movie he's going to do his crimes with style and that he has surprises in his bag. He's a bit silly but you don't know what to expect from him - he's fun to watch. In TDK he neither has style nor surprises, HE JUST BLOWS THINGS UP WITH DETONATORS and he's not even having fun. Bbbooorrriiiinnnggg.

I think a lot of people don't see all the big flaws of the movie because they like the characters and the themes. I like Batman, the lone vigilante fighting crime in his city and his struggle to retain his morality while confronting the worst criminals, I like Harvey Dent's character and the Joker trying to turn Dent into a madman like him to ruin his crusade against crime and I liked the Joker trying to corrupt the people of Gotham and turn them into murderers ...BUT THE MOVIE SU CKS

I really wanted TDK to be good, good at least like half of Batman Begins is, I wanted to leave the theater with a big smile on my face but I left the theater feeling cheated because I wanted to see a cool movie and I didn't, I saw a lame piece of crap. There was no climax, no great scenes, no drama, no tension, no substance, only over the top action scenes we have already seen elsewhere. This movie itself isn't a 1 out of 10 but I'm so disappointed by it that it deserves its 1

Mediocre

Author: hypnotron from United Kingdom
29 July 2008

I completely fail to see how this movie could be considered, even at such an early stage 'The greatest movie of all time'!

Heath Ledger is pretty good in it, but not that good. It is a good performance, but essentially he is just playing a pretty generic psychotic role in the mantle of the joker. Christian Bale is completely wooden in his role as Bruce Wayne, Batman is a minor character. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman are there to lend credibility, but do very little. Aaron Eckhardt plays the rather bland Harvey Dent, but again, not a terrific performance.

This is a ridiculous movie, based upon a ridiculous concept that takes itself so seriously that I found it painful to watch. The script is in parts cringe worthy. The plot is incoherent, there are no real character arcs, save for Harvey Dent's and it is very poorly executed.

The 'sonar imaging' using Gotham's 30 million mobile phones was a real jump the shark moment.

The violence is extreme, especially when you consider Batman is essentially a children's comic. The movie revels in sadism and extreme violence, shame on Christopher Nolan for the glorification of this.

The art direction extends to a few Batman gadgets and some lo-fi emo make up on the Joker. No effort whatsoever was made to show Gotham as anything other than a generic American city.

Glaring plot holes abound, from dogs chewing through the bat-suit where as bullets have no effect to Joker somehow being able to blow up an entire hospital despite giving prior warning! Joker describes himself as an 'agent of chaos' who just does random things, yet everything he does is meticulously planned. The joker has no real sense of humour, he rarely ever smiles which is a total deviation from the comic character.

This film - for me personally - signifies the death of the blockbuster. It might have made a vast amount of money at the box office, but i sets out to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

The Dark Knight is a humourless, negative, sadistic movie with no substance to it, a weak script, which as one reviewer pointed out that for all the pseudo-intellectual monologues and pseudo- philosophical rambling just ended up with someone getting punched or shot.

An immature film that should be for kids, but was really made for adults.

I don't want to see it again, it was a waste of time. This is film as junk food, it is bad for the soul.

This is seriously the best movie ever made.

Author: Can Bolat (Crombizzle) from Turkey
2 September 2014

This is one of the best I've watched the movie trilogy. I don't see TDK just as a superhero comic book movie because screenplay was written in a perfect way. Created by Nolan Batsuit-mobile perfect design. The most beautiful thing in the film to return to The Joker's and Ledger as the Joker was created to be such an amazing acting. When good and evil sits down to have a talk like an interrogation scene, everyone in the audience shuts up and listens to what they have to say. That's I think this movie is great. I just did not like the actor who portray the character of Rachel Dawes. Other than that Nolan and his team did a great job. They can make 100 movies but we will feel its something missing perfect acting, one of the best actors of all time nobody can be better than Ledger as the Joker.

Why so happy? Let's put a frown on that face!

Author: blackaugust79 from United States
29 March 2009

I know this review will get a bunch of unhelpful votes but somebody has to tell the truth here! The Dark Knight is wildly overrated and is the most overrated movie of all time. Forget Titanic, Boondock Saints and King Kong(2005). This movie surpasses them when it comes to sheer hype. For the record I love Batman Begins. I thought it was a fresh beginning on a series that was rendered ineffective by that lunatic Joel Schumacher. Christian Bale fared well as both Batman and Bruce Wayne and the rest of the cast did a great job also. But this movie.... Everything that made Batman Begins so great is absent from this pretentious slop. Most of the cast look like they'd rather be somewhere else. Let me break it down this way with what stinks about this movie.

The plot: Idiotic beyond belief. Joker(Heath Ledger) plans to kill city officials while playing childish games with Batman. Most of the time he's killing the people he's aligned with making him the most moronic villain in superhero movie history. Batman joins forces with Commissioner Gordon to stop him.

The acting: Christian Bale is wooden in both roles(Batman and Bruce Wayne). He spends most of the movie looking like he's stoned out of his mind. And what is up with that voice? In Batman Begins he sounded cool like one of the gangsters from those old 1940s flicks. Here he sounds like Dirty Harry with strep throat. Aaron Eckhart is flat as both Harvey Dent and Two-Face. While his Two-Face was better than Tommy Lee's Two-Face looking good by default is never good. Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman sleepwalk through this whole movie. Maggie Gyllenhaal is quite awful as Rachel Dawes. Katie Holme's Rachel Dawes was a strong willed lawyer that fought for what's right. Maggie's Rachel Dawes needs to grow up and find some better priorities. I agree that she is a step up from Katie Holmes but she plays Rachel Dawes like some silly high school girl with a pathetic crush on Bruce Wayne. The fact that we are asked to feel sympathy for her when The Joker captures her is a bit of a stretch. Her getting roasted made my day though lol!

Now for the talk of the town: Heath Ledger as Joker. Heath Ledger's performance was okay but to say that he was better than Jack Nicholson's Joker is hilarious to say the least. Jack Nicholson's Joker had style, a plan and was pretty funny as well as unpredictable. Of course he was silly but he was fun. Heath Ledger's Joker is predictable with no back story and had no real plan. Just random acts of chaos. Ra's Al Ghul had a plan, The Joker of Batman 1989 had a plan, The Penguin of Batman Returns had a plan. This weirdo had nothing but bluff. Plus he's has no fun with what he does and spends most of the time ridiculously philosophizing like those corny emo-goth kids that smoke copious amounts of cigarettes while yapping about the misery of their lives. You complete me? That's about as cheesy as the Tumbler turning into a crappy motorcycle. Speaking of Emo-Goth kids that exactly what this Joker is. Only people actually find him cool instead of pathetic.

Action sequences: predictable to a fault. Car chase and fights scenes plus they are quite unrealistic. People get punched, kicked, shot, bitten by dogs and knocked around by explosions and walk away without bumps, bruises, cuts or blood. Now, Im not a gore hound but if you get shot or bitten by a dog, I would expect to see some blood. Not in the Dark Knight though.

Pacing: The movie builds up a pace to slow it down after wards and with all the action on the screen the movie still finds time to be boring. Plus at 2 hours and 32 minutes this movie feels longer than it needs to be. Various subplots that never connect best describe most of this movie.

Conclusion: The Dark Knight is the most overrated, most hypocritical, most pretentious piece of garbage in the history of cinema. The only people that would like this are the fanboys and I cant believe that people are trouncing Tim Burton's Batman movies to foam at the mouth like rabid dog groupies over this overcooked sequel. You pseudo-intellectual snobs don't seem to realize that those movies were great for the time they were made in and they were fun. Tim Burton made the type of Batman movie he wanted to make without trying to please these shills. I must have seen the Tim Burton Batman movies more times than I can count and still have a ball watching them till this day. I saw this dreck three times and still couldn't get into it. Its not even fun. Its a plodding mess that gets more hype than it deserves. Matter of fact, I'll tell how much I didn't like it. For months I had The Dark Knight on my computer for free via z-share and when my computer suffered from a virus that force me to erase the whole thing, this was the only movie through z-share that I never tried to get back. That should tell you everything you need to know about my feelings on this movie. Two Thumbs down.

Undescribable Perfection

Author: yarden-malka14 from Israel
20 April 2012

Let's open this review with the fact that Batman is THE BEST superhero ever, with no other even coming close to his levels. So when a sequel is made for an unforgettable movie like "Batman Begins" expectations are EXTREMELY high. I think that if you could describe this movie in a few words it would be "152 minutes of pure awesomeness." Christopher Nolan probably created the best ever comic book adaptation of a movie. The movie itself has been adapted in a much more realistic fashion than the comic book series. First of all this movie is PERFECT for people who like punches, drama, shooting and explosions. The movie has a complicated plot that keeps your eyes glued to the screen. It's anything BUT corny, since a few important characters die, and the ending isn't happy, but it's flawless. Christian Bale has proved himself one again as an amazing actor. Michael Cane (portrays Alfred Pennyworth) makes you fall in love with Batman's loyal butler. Now anyone that has seen the movie and is reading this review is probably wondering why I haven't mentioned the main reason why this movie is flawless. And yes, there is ONE main reason: Heath Ledger. Heath Ledger portrayed Batman's arch nemesis in this movie: the Joker. Now anyone who has a clue in comic books knows that the Joker is INCREDIBLE. Heath Ledger's acting in this movie has turned the Joker into a LEGEND. I have never seen such perfect and realistic acting than the portrayal of the Joker in this movie. The Joker is portrayed in a much more mature fashion than the comic books, and that's why it was so good. It's simply impossible to describe him: he's bold, insane, smart, twisted and he's so awesome in this film that at some points you love him even more than Batman. If I haven't mentioned it by now, this is without a doubt the best movie I have seen.Those who come with high expectations after seeing "Batman Begins" will not be disappointed. I advise that no one under the age of 11 watches this movie as Two-Face's appearance is rather frightening and the film contains intense action.

Christopher Nolan masterpiece

Author: ngav127
20 January 2012

This is one of the movies of all time. There's action beyond belief and humor that breaks down the tension that really works. There also enough emotion to round out the experience. The joker is one of the best characters of all time. He's truly amazing. R.I.P Mr. Heath ledger. Christian bale is of course one of the best actors ever. It's truly a gift to watch them on screen. See this movie it will make you a better person.

The ending is perfect and amazing. Every time I watch it pick up something new. There was a lot of effort put into this. Better than batman begins but not as good as inception. It's actually surprisingly under rated.

Wonderful. How superhero movies should be made!

Author: tiger jack (warthogjump@hotmail.com) from Australia
26 March 2011

Quite simply "Dark Knight" is the best superhero movie ever made (ok, KickAss is the only competitor, but strictly speaking, it isn't a "proper" superhero movie, so let's forget about that).

Batman is tough, Batman is loved, Batman is weak, Batman is hated. Batman has human characteristics. Batman's enemies have human characteristics. This is the first and main reason Dark Knight succeeds. It isn't "just" a superhero movie. It's also a study of character, of good and of "dark" and of perception of "society." I mean, it does this so well I sometimes think the superhero content is just a scapegoat for the deeper thought in the movie even though I know at the same that it's not.

Secondly, Batman doesn't do anything too unbelievable. Look at Superman, he's flying. Look at Spiderman, he's got webs coming out of his palms. Look at the Hulk he can get MASSIVE when he is angry. That's all cool and entertaining, but Batman is, imo, the superhero whom we can connect to the closest, because he doesn't have these "abilities" about him which are soooo unrealistic.

So, both his inner and outer character are human like which makes the movie so much more enjoyable.

The action? The action in Dark Knight is amazing! Batman's car is amazing! The special effects are amazing! It is a phenomenal piece of work crafting a movie where it looks and feels fantastic!

I won't talk much about Heath Ledger's portrayal of the joker. It's definitely his best performance ever, and what better time to have it just before his death, peace be upon him. I hate a ball watching the guy act. He's just created an insanely unique persona. I loved it!

Everything in Dark Knight works. It's got so much novelty to it. It's a rare piece of cinema where prima facie it's for kids, but ultimately, adults will end up enjoying it much more. Dark Knight isn't for kids anyway, they wont be able to comprehend the bigger picture in Dark Knight, which is what makes this movie so special.

It's cool It's original It's awesome

I can't believe how it wasn't nominated for a Best Picture. Oscars were probably too stunned at how good a super hero movie could be. Did I mention I also love Gary Oldman, the guy plays a different person in every movie, I can never tell its him

The best Batman film yet.

Author: leanes-1 from United Kingdom
10 August 2008

One couldn't help be sceptical of the hype surrounding The Dark Knight before having seen it, scepticism was certainly weighing on my mind as i walked into the cinema. I couldn't help thinking 'is this going to be as amazing as expected, or is the hype just an inevitable reaction to the death of Heath Ledger?' I can safely say to anyone still having not seen The Dark Knight; the hype would've been just as massive even if Ledger hadn't tragically overdosed during filming, The film is mind-blowingly amazing! The action sequences, The dialogue, the editing, the lighting, the costume, the score, the cinematography, The Ledger, The Bale, The Eckhart, The Freeman, The every-single-tiny-bit of cinema... is brilliant.

There's not the slightest whiff of the child-friendly-cinema that tore Tim Burton's vision apart all those (not many) years ago. Eckhart's Dent/Two-Face, blows Tommy Lee Jones out of the metaphorical water, the only shame is that his performance will be overshadowed by Ledger's even better one, and indeed his tragic demise.

Every insane laugh from Ledger's lips echoes with excellence, Jack Nicholson should be very very very proud. However, Ledger's delivery, commitment, presence and dress-wearing-ability far surpass the realms of merely paying homage to Nicholson's Joker. Nolan and Ledger really show Burton and Nicholson just how darkly immense the joker can be.

Not to forget Bale, who brings his portrayal of Batman (and the barking voice it brings) to the next level, the depth and inner conflict create an excellent empathy effect on the audience and also create ridiculously good viewing.

I could go on all day, going into every actors success, about how immense The Dark Knight is... but i think you probably get the message by now.

As undoubtedly one of the most difficult films to bring to the public, a film so swamped with hype, tragedy, death and scandal; The Dark Knight could easily have been written off with the tragic death of Heath Ledger, we should thank God that it wasn't.

Very Good, But Yikes, Let's Keep Things in Perspective

Author: evanston_dad from United States
25 July 2008

Whatever else it may be, "The Dark Knight," Christopher Nolan's follow up to his "Batman Begins," the film that resurrected the Batman franchise, is the most ambitious superhero film ever made. It's full of brooding ruminations about the inherent nature of humanity, obviously fueled by the troubled state of a post-9/11 world, and it packs an awful lot of plot into its two-and-a-half-hour running time. However, be cautioned, and don't let its #1 rating at IMDb set up expectations that the film can't possibly meet. I doubt any experienced film goer is truly going to think that this is the best film ever made.

The praise heaped on Heath Ledger for his performance as the Joker is well deserved. Indeed, the Joker becomes the focus of this movie, which may not be such a desirable thing, given that this is...you know....a Batman movie. The caped crusader fades into the background in this installment, to the point where you might leave the movie and forget that he was in it. Ditto Maggie Gyllenhaal, who plays the love interest, and who, true to the superhero movie formula, gets practically nothing to do. But Ledger you WILL remember. He creates a fascinating character in the Joker, and it's through him that the movie poses all of its major moral questions. Is it human nature, as the Joker suggests, to devolve into chaos when the illusion of order is taken away; or do humans have an inherent kindness that will cause them to look out for one another even when circumstances seem to call for self preservation? One of the most fascinating things about Ledger's creation is that the Joker has no more motive as a criminal than to pose questions like this. He's not out for money or even power -- he just wants to create anarchy and see what happens.

I was not prepared for the other villain the screenplay throws into the mix: Two Face, played well by Aaron Eckhart. The film is too long, and it's this storyline that makes it so. Chrisotpher Nolan and his brother, Jonathan, the co-writers of the film, would have done well to leave this plot line out. By the end of the film, there are too many characters doing too many things independently of one another, so that the film loses focus slightly.

The movie looks fantastic though, and the production team does wonders with Chicago (where I live by the way). In fact the look of the film is one of its major selling points, and I was pleased to finally see a superhero film that looks cinematic rather than cartoonish.

So...an excellent addition to the superhero genre and a completely entertaining experience....but it's still, after all, a Batman movie, and it's not the best film since "Citizen Kane."

Grade: A