IMDb > I Could Never Be Your Woman (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Delightful and Poignant Romantic Comedy

Author: kevcom from Hawaii
16 June 2007

I saw this last night (6/15/07) at The Maui International Film Festival. It is going to be categorized by some as a "Chick Flick", however the chemistry between Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd is undeniable. Since the film won't be released for a few months, I'm not going to go into any specific plot details, however Hollywood's obsession with youth, plastic surgery, and untalented pretty people is amusingly (and sometimes disturbingly) exposed.

Pfeiffer is a true movie star -- a brilliant actress and shamefully underrated comedian. And I would imagine that this film will likely be Paul Rudd's star-making vehicle. He's a talent power-house.

Other notable fine performances are give by the one and only Tracey Ullman as Mother Nature, and Saoirse Ronan as Pfeiffer's daughter.

I haven't laughed out loud at a movie in a long time, however I did last night -- many times. Judging from the reaction, laughter and applause of the hundreds of others in attendance, this movie is a winner.

Funny and sweet romantic comedy

Author: lhhung_himself from United States
1 September 2007

My wife and I happen to be one of those Ashton/Demi couples and have been together before it became popular and acceptable. I never had much of a problem with it but my wife did initially. The film did a remarkably accurate job of portraying what goes on in the head of the older female. It had us ROTFL as we had gone through similar situations ourselves when we were dating.

Paul Rudd is very funny much funnier than I remember him from Friends and Michelle Pfeiffer is perfect as the sexy, and somewhat insecure love interest. The daughter/mother relationship was also really well done - the daughter being smart, just precocious and innocent enough without being too artificially sweet which was very hard to pull off. The dialog in the film is clever and witty but light and self-parodying along the lines of Clueless.

Overall, a very sweet and funny movie - I haven't enjoyed a romantic comedy this much since Annie Hall or Sleepless in Seattle.

Excellent Romantic Comedy

Author: psu190 from Lanai City, HI
17 June 2007

Just got back from the Maui Film Festival where this film was shown. I'd have to say that I was pleasantly surprised on how good this movie actually was.

Michelle Pfeiffer and Pual Rudd have great chemistry throughout the whole movie. Jon Lovitz appears in the film also and adds a great comedic experience to the film. He stars as Michelle's ex-husband in the movie and I laughed every time the both of them were on screen together.

Pual Rudd was fantastic in this movie and it shows what he can do when given co-top billing in a comedy. He was great in 40-year old virgin and in this he is no different.

The movie has the same type of feel of Clueless, as it should, their both directed by the same person. Give this movie a chance, it was funny and kept you entertained throughout the whole movie.

I didn't give too much detail as you can tell, i just wanted to let you know a little bit of what to expect and how well the actors/actress's come together in this movie.

Great date movie/or a movie to take your significant other. I promise you'll both have lots of laughs.

Surprisingly Enjoyable

Author: shiftyeyeddog from Illinois
11 August 2007

I Could Never Be Your Woman is the first film directed by Amy Heckerling (Clueless) in like 7 years. I ended up unexpectedly loving Clueless back then, and this film definitely has that same vibe, as well as many of the same cast members, including Rudd, Stacey Dash, and Wallace Shawn. The movie was a light, fun romantic comedy that I enjoyed quite a bit (though I could have done without Tracy Ullman's "Mother Nature"). Michelle Pfeiffer makes a nice return from her movie hiatus in the lead here, after easing back in with her smaller supporting role in Hairspray earlier this summer. Her daughter is played by Saoirse Ronan, a talented young woman who is gonna be breaking out in a big way in the next year with this and roles in several other really big-name films. But the real star here is definitely Paul Rudd, who has proved to be one of the funniest guys around right now. Between this, his involvement with the Apatow crowd, his participation in all manner of projects by alumni of The State, and the rest of his work, he definitely knows how to find good projects and surround himself with equally talented people.

A true romantic comedy

Author: laly1797 from United States
29 August 2007

I must say that I really enjoyed this film. I found myself smiling and giggling throughout this entire movie. The chemistry between Michelle Pheifer and Paul Rudd was spot on. I also loved the mother/daughter relationship between Rosie (Michelle Pheifer) and Izzie(Saoirse Ronan). And I must say that all of the small appearances and mentions of such an array of celebrities really added that little something to this script.

So my recommendation...grab your best girlfriend and enjoy! (Although I think your boyfriends/husbands will enjoy this movie as well. It does have the beautiful Michelle Pheifer and hilarious Paul Rudd in it!)

unexpectedly delicious, feel-good movie!

Author: from United States
3 September 2007

I had no idea what this movie was about, all I knew was that it was a romantic comedy. Paul Rudd is terrific; his chemistry with Michelle practically leaps off the screen. I found myself laughing out loud at various situations. It was a very sweet, upbeat movie that just left me feeling good. Not to mention that it revolves around a TV Show that has remarkable similarity to Clueless. And if you were a fan of that movie/show then you will love watching some of the original cast. There are definite moments that will take you back to that classic! I have resisted signing up for IMDb for a while, but this movie needs to be shared!

The Bridge Between Ephron and Apatow

Author: intelearts from the big screen
4 October 2007

Slapstick, cerebral, puns, visual humor, industry in jokes, innuendo, and satire, even Woody Allenesque in Tracy Ullman's Mothe Nature running commentary; Amy Heckerling's writing skills here are at full force. We cannot remember that last time we watched a film and laughed out loud so often and at so many different types of comedy;

As other reviewers have noted this is a film of real sweetness - but even the sentimentality is handled well - but not saccharine. It handles the idea of older woman - younger man with a delicious sense of balance and farce; can it really be five years since Michelle Pfeiffer's last film? And Paul Rudd stamps his charm all over this.

The comedians, and there are a ton to spot here, especially British - a challenge to spot all of them - make up one of the better ensemble casts of the last few years.

'I could never be your woman' is quite simply one of the best comedies of 2007 in our opinion - romantic or otherwise. Neither of us could think on another comedy that comes close so far this year. It is difficult not to be enthusiastic given the wit and chemistry of the script, the actors, and the crew. Irreverent, yet old fashioned, trend setting, yet comfortably familiar, this really is one of the most enjoyable films to be seen: an outstanding comedy, and if I am raving about it, it is because it deserves it.

A real film and a real cinematic experience: kudos and thanks to all involved.

One Sexy Momma

Author: stephengraley from United Kingdom
15 September 2007

Yes, Michelle Pfeiffer is who i am referring to. She looks absolutely amazing at 49 and when i was a kid i could only wish all my mates mums looked this fine.

I am a massive fan of romantic comedy, i hear you all say but you are a bloke whats wrong with you !!! Who can forget Love Actually which basically has some of the all time funniest moments in cinema. I could never be your woman unfortunately does not hit these highs but you will laugh and the characters have a certain warmth.

The film really focuses on the relationship between Pfeiffer and her daughter which is unusual in the fact the most of the good comedy moments arise from the daughters relationship with her mother and her mothers personal life. You have to love Jon Lovitz, the guy is a genius. He is barely in the movie but his dead pan matter of fact character is a perfect foil to Pfieffers Character.

On the whole i would say watch this, probably wait for DVD but its certainly worth a rental. The film had the potential to be both funnier and also some pointless Scenes especially with Mother Nature.

On a final note i know this is only a film and it was 90 minutes long but if i have children in the future i would like to be a parent like Pfieffers Character. Honest, open with a great relationship with her daughter.

Just AWFUL!

Author: Spaceygirl (melanie.diesel@bbraun.co.za) from Johannesburg, South Africa
18 August 2008

Don't waste your time with this dud! With Michelle Pfeiffer and Jon Lovitz as perhaps the most childish, inane parents on screen since "The Brady Bunch". Michelle Pfeiffer's character is thoroughly unlikeable and Paul Rudd's character is a complete idiot!!!! The only character with any redeemable qualities is Izzy, as played by the radiant Saoirse Ronan, and even her precociousness grates after a while. There seems to be a trend lately of portraying the leads in any rom-com as either a bitch, or an idiot, as if Hollywood thinks that these are only types of women who would pull a man, which is a bad, bad message. Michelle Pfeiffer portrays a kidult who tries to be a 'friend' to her daughter, playing Barbies and jumping on beds and indulging in food fights. She also dresses like a fourteen year old. What gives???? Amy Heckerling has produced some good movies, but THIS is NOT one of them!

pretty slight, but has enough wit to carry it along

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
12 April 2008

Amy Heckerling's latest romantic comedy, I Could Never Be Your Woman, got, to use a proverbial word, shafted. It was meant for theatrical release and went straight to DVD due to some bad deals done with one of the producers. It's a shame despite the fact that Heckerling's comedy was far from being top-shelf work. It certainly stands a good chance at ranking well enough alongside (and probably better than) many of the tripe conventional market-stuffers that are out in cineplexes. Her film posits that a middle-aged TV writer (Michelle Pfieffer) has some angst and insecurities in dating one of the new stars of her TV show (Paud Rudd), and it's not a bad premise. This is also thrown in a quasi plot thread involving her daughter (Atonement's Saoirse Ronan, couldn't tell it was the same girl she's that good) as she tries to navigate her first possible boyfriend.

A lot of this isn't delivered with all of the best execution- certainly it's hard to figure on what exactly makes the Tracy Ullman bits funny as they're slipped in with some awkward soft-focus and at ill-timing- and there's something kind of fishy about putting such an actress like Michelle Pfieffer, who is still incredibly beautiful for any age, in the role of an insecure woman who can't see herself with such a younger man after such a long break from being with a man. At the same time, there is a good deal that does work to Heckerling's advantage, such as the bond between the mother and daughter in the story that doesn't ring as being sappy or trite like in other rom-coms or flicks with mother-daughter talks and such. And almost in spite of the bright lighting, Paul Rudd lays on the same charm and wit carried over from the Judd Apatow comedies (if, of course, nowhere near as funny in the sensibility of crudeness). And who can't love Jon Lovitz or Fred Willard?

So with I Could Never Be Your Woman, it's good for a rental, but that's not really the point with the release issue. It's the kind of movie, as with Heckerling's others, that play for laughs with a big audience, and are perfect for a certain niche of female viewers and die-hard rom-com afficionados. It's light and slight and not too terrible, if not much memorable either.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]