IMDb > Drive Thru (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Funny ^__^ I liked it

Author: rajanime18 from United Kingdom
14 March 2007

This is my first review on IMDb, okay here goes: So this movie is about a seemingly supernatural killer clown, the mascot of the extremely popular local burger joint (Hella Burger) he murders teenagers all of whom have some sort of connection with the main character Mackenzie. He gives her clues as to who will die next. She starts to piece together the puzzle and must stop him before he claims her life next.

Basically it's a comedy/horror, the film doesn't take itself very seriously and is full of random humour. You'll laugh out loud at most of the scenes. It's still a horror movie and contains plenty of innovative and gory kills. Overall, I recommend it to horror fans or anyone who has 1 hour 23 min's to spare for a few laughs, it's the kind of film you simply switch your brain off and enjoy :)

I could tell straight off...

Author: Ulfman5000 from United States
23 December 2007

This was about to be one of the most awesomely sh1tty movies ever made. Your generic, run of the mill, horror movie plot - dumb partying teens, the evil clown, and that one dude from Heroes that I hate. But the acting was really pretty acceptable and the script wasn't nearly as bad as you'd think. There was some sort of weird, political subtext that was a bit obnoxious, but it didn't seem to hurt things too badly. The beginning was a bit "Malibu's Most Wanted" for my taste, (ie really dumb wigger jokes) but that passed. All in all, it has some awesomely cheesy moments, and I'd say this is a must see for all fans of really bad horror movies.

Fast Food Kills

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 June 2013

In Blanca Carne, California, the seventeen year-old student Mackenzie Carpenter (Leighton Meester) is celebrating her graduation in high- school with her boyfriend Fisher Kent (Nicholas D'Agosto) and her classmates. Mackenzie receives messages about her close friends while they are murdered by Horny The Clown, the symbol of the Hella-Burger fasts food.

On the eve of her eighteenth birthday and after the death of a couple of friends, Mackenzie realizes that all of them are connected to a dark event in the past of her mother Marcia Carpenter (Melora Hardin). Further, she will be in danger on the day of her birthday.

"Drive-Thru" is a gore unfunny comedy too silly for a horror movie using a clown that is a parody of Ronald McDonald. This B-movie has a couple of good jokes, like "fast food kills", but does not work well. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Drive-Thru: Fast Food da Morte" ("Drive-Thru: Fast Food of the Death")

Mildly watchable but weak slasher

Author: t-birkhead from United Kingdom
28 December 2008

I can't say that I thought all that much of this one. It has the right idea,but it never really achieves enough in the way of laughs, suspense or gore to be a particularly attractive proposition. The plot sees various teens butchered by the malign fast food mascot Horny the clown and an obnoxious emo heroine seeking to find out why before its too late. As far as pluses go in this film, it does have a quick pace, a nice bodycount with a couple of neat moments and a well designed villain. Though not scary, Horny's costume at least looks the business, he pretty much looks exactly what you might expect a killer fast food mascot to look like. Lastly, the film has a determinedly eighties style flow to it, with a classic generic back story, idiotic stereotypical characters, bad music and dumb lines. All this mixed together allows the film to zip along, never getting boring, but at the same time, though it invites cosy reminiscences of cheesy slasher classics, the film never reaches their heights. The biggest issue is the relative lack of grue. Many of the kills are of screen, there are a few after the event bloodied bodies and the of the on screen killings, only one, maybe two succeed in being properly satisfying. I don't mind films soft pedalling the nastiness, but this film fails to make up for it with good stalking or suspense scenes. Another big problem is that the main character, played by Leighton Meester is simply not likable and her boyfriend, played by Nicholas D'Agosto, isn't much better. Its nearly impossible to build up empathy when the lead characters are tedious, rude little so and so's hat you just want to clip around the ears for their bad attitudes. Clearly a few annoying characters aren't too bad to have around as they make for good kill fodder but when the main character seems to constantly invite your dislike it does get quite tiresome. None of the other characters are much better, apart from a nice cameo from Morgan Spurlock, though no one has quite as much time irritating the audience as the leads. I didn't think much of the humour in this film either, it seems perched in between semi serious slasher and outright spoof but never properly reconciles the two, with the result that a lot of the humour falls flat. Still, I found this film hard to fully dislike. For all that it isn't terribly good it at least didn't baffle me with badness like some of the other recent horrors I have encountered on late night television recently. In a way, I kinda found its faults occasionally charming, like the pointless inclusion of a ouija board in proceedings or the lame music because taken along with the random neat moments it gave off the air of a film trying hard, doing its best, really trying to charm. It seemed very much on the right track in a lot of places and so I ended up with a fair amount of goodwill towards it. So, whilst I wouldn't recommend this as a quality film, it is a fair enough time waster for those who have a yen for this sort of thing.

Good If Not Taken Too Seriously

Author: dvd123 from United States
2 June 2007

Considering some of the reviews here and elsewhere and the lack of any big names, I was more than a little skeptical going into this film. My suspicions turned out to be unfounded, though, as the film was actually surprisingly good.

It's been a long time since I've heard a movie soundtrack where the bulk of the songs were not only performed by people born in the last 20 years, but they were performed well. A good soundtrack is hard to find and adds SO much to a movie. You can have a pretty mediocre film and add a great soundtrack and it ends up being quite watchable.

Some of the acting is a little wooden and the plot is almost laughably cliché. One could argue, though, that a laughably cliché plot was their goal, that they were somehow trying to recreate the far-fetched plot horror flicks of years past. If so, they did it masterfully.

I was expecting a very low budget, but it really didn't look that way. I'm always impressed when low budget movies don't look low budget. The editing was creative, especially the ramping of the kill scenes/killer's movements for increased dramatic effect.

Overall, this movie portrayed something that seems to be in short supply on celluloid these days- youthful exuberance. If you are a teenager, or, if, for 83 minutes you can channel the spirit of a teenager, you're in for a fun ride.

With a little more money and some better writing, I think these directors will be able to do really great things. I'm looking forward to their next project.

Horny the clown? Eh, works for me.

Author: kirk-246 from United States
30 September 2009

'Drive Thru' is a very deranged comedy that seems like it was directed by some pothead like Danny Leiner.Surprisingly, it's not a bad movie.It has it's share of blood, gore, violence, and what horror movie like this one wouldn't have any humor?It's like 'Eight Legged Frieks' and 'Tremors', except the killer is not a giant spider or an underground worm.I watched this movie for free on Fearnet On Demand a year ago just to see if it was any good.For 83 minutes, I sat through which appeared to be a dumb horror movie, yet a somewhat smart comedy.If you enjoy movies about killer clowns who butcher people, then 'Drive Thru' is on the menu.Would you like some blood with your order?

An entertaining and satirical addition to the slasher genre.

Author: misbegotten from United Kingdom
3 April 2007

As a fan of slasher movies, I have to say that the direction in Drive Thru isn't too impressive, often being of the 'point and shoot' variety. In addition, most of the kills take place off-screen, and at first glance the story is also highly unimaginative - a teenage girl called Mackenzie Carpenter ('Mac' to her friends) discovers that pupils at her high school are being killed by a maniac who's dressed as Horny the Clown, the mascot of the Hellaburger fast-food restaurant chain (he looks like the secret love child of Ronald McDonald and Satan).

So far, so clichéd. But Drive-Thru's script then proceeds to overturn most of the conventional rules of the slasher movie genre.

For example, traditionally the heroine in these films is always a quiet, likable, well behaved and respectable young girl who is often bullied or victimised by the popular in-crowd. Not so in Drive-Thru. Here, the Final Girl is a foul mouthed, drug-taking teen who thinks her parents are morons, and - together with her emo friends - behaves appallingly to anyone she doesn't like. There's even a clever subplot in which we learn that she's decided not to sleep with her older boyfriend until she reaches the age of consent - but just as it seems that the movie is finally reverting to convention, she changes her mind and has underage sex with him anyway (!).

Another slasher cliché is the creepy janitor, who often acts as either a prime suspect or red herring, but again Drive-Thru acts as though it's playing the game, only to suddenly perform a bodyswerve and wrong-foot us. So yes, the creepy janitor is dutifully introduced, but he promptly gets killed in the very next scene.

The movie also skilfully satirizes current American youth culture: in addition to Mac's emo friends, Horny also takes his machete to handgun-flaunting wiggas, right-wing WASP preppies, goth wiccans, and stoner drop-outs. There's also a surprisingly political edge that's rare in the genre: Mac is described as a vegetarian left-wing liberal, and the dialogue contains quite a few barbs aimed at the Bush administration and Republicans in general. Mac also regards the police as incompetent fascists, and doesn't tell them anything she's discovered about the murders because she believes she's got a better chance of uncovering who the killer is. In fact, the female detective in charge of the case is actually highly efficient, but her investigation is being hampered by Mac's refusal to share information.

The cast all deliver solid performances, with Leighton Meester (who plays Mac) being a particular find. There's also a funny cameo from Supersize Me writer/director Morgan Spurlock as a Hellaburger manager.

But despite being a highly entertaining movie, Drive-Thru isn't particularly scary. Horny is a colourful and visually striking psycho-villain, but the climax of the movie is quite weak, and the only scene that delivers a genuine frisson is when the killer clown empties a gasoline can over Mac as she's tied to a chair (as a prelude to immolating her), and she starts screaming in complete, helpless terror.

Hella Burger is Hella Good!

Author: lastliberal from United States
5 January 2008

Initially, I did not have a good feeling about this film. Two white boys talking like they were ganstas turns me off.

However, it really turned out to be a good movie.

First, the lines throughout the film were really funny. They referenced a lot of things that were familiar and were delivered spot on by some really good acting featuring Leighton Meester, Nicholas D'Agosto, Lola Glaudini from "Criminal Minds", Melora Hardin, Trudy from "Monk, and my personal favorite, Larry Joe Campbell from "According to Jim", as Detective Crackers.

Secondly, it had a really good story that made a lot of sense.

It wasn't particularly gory, but had plenty of blood. The only thing it was missing was a horror staple - breasts.

If you like horror, you really need to check this one out.

The Hamburglar Has Nothing On Horny the Clown

Author: yodaccm from United States
1 March 2009

I'm rather confused by this movie's premise and I think the director was also. How does one go about making a slasher movie where the killer is dressed up in a fast food clown mascot costume? Given that premise, you would think such a movie would make light of it's plot and not take itself too seriously.

With "Drive Thru" it begins with a light, albeit horror inspired, tone with a group of idiot wannabe gangsters getting hacked up by a killer whose name screams satire: Horny the Clown. OK, fine enough. Considering the title of the picture and the nature of slasher you figure this will be a hoot.

But as the movie progresses, you realize that there is a real plot here with serious undertones. The plot is familiar enough and we have some doltish characters populating the ridiculously named city of "Blanca Carne", Spanish for "white meat", get it? But the main characters take this movie rather seriously, searching for clues to the identity of the killer and unraveling a decades old mystery.

That's all fine, but how are we to perceive this movie? For one, this movie is not scary at all. The director doesn't even go for any real scares, he shows his hand way too often. There is no suspense as you can figure out who the killer is about halfway through the movie. The comedy is rather sparse and is relegated to a ridiculous fat cop named Crockers (or Crackers as people tend to call him) and some lame renditions of pot heads and the afore mentioned wannabe gangsters.

Horny the Clown is like a cross between Jason, Freddy Krueger, and the clown from It. However, as a menacing killer, he hardly fits the bill. He spouts off stupid one liners and dispatches his prey with a huge meat clever. Most of the action occurs outside of the fast food restaurants so the connection with the whole fast food killer is loose at best. Although you may be able to figure out the killer early on, after all is revealed and your guess is validated there are many questions still unanswered about the killer and his, lets say, existence. It's an old horror movie cliché and it is used quite unabashedly here.

Anyway, despite my criticism it was an o.k. viewing. I commend the film makers for attempting something a little different, but in the end it doesn't really mesh well. Maybe in the sequel, which wouldn't surprise me if there is one in the making, Horny the Clown and Ronald McDonald can duke it out ala Aliens vs. Predator. That would probably make a better movie than "Drive Thru".

Author: tropicalwindxst from United States
10 February 2008

Drive Thru was one of those movies I was expecting to turn off in the first five minutes. I was previewing movies on Ondemand's Fearnet, and something about there being a Horny the Clown grabbed my attention. The acting is at college level. The effects are at college level. The cinematography is at college level. However, the film kept my attention the whole way through. It was fast paced, cheesy, and full of enough humor to keep me thoroughly entertained.

One of the best things about this movie is the seamlessly endless amount of minor characters that serve no purpose but to be deep fried and macheted by Horny the Clown. These actors know they are in a stupid horror movie, and do their best to provide over the top performances until their ultimate demise. The main characters are pretty average. The "virgin" chick is a feisty liberal stoner who provides a unique twist for a horror movie heroine. The boyfriend is oddly intriguing, although a bit dull. Detective Crackers is annoying as hell, but that's how his character is supposed to be. I could do without the stone cold detective, she seems a little far fetched and unnecessary. The mom, who looks only a few years older than the daughter, is by the far the worst actress. She really drags the movie down in her scenes, but once again, this movie isn't about quality acting. The real character, Horny the Clown, is fantastic. He is funny, fast, and deadly. I enjoyed every moment he was on screen. His antics remind me of Freddy Krueger, but in an updated OC kinda way.

The deaths are pretty awesome, too. For having real shoddy effects, the deaths are varied and funny. My personal favorite is the microwave. It looked like something out of Saw.

This isn't the next Scream, but it's a fun flick for a Friday night with a couple of friends and a lot of beer.

Characters - 20/30 Story - 13/30 Atmosphere- 3/15 Effectiveness - 13/15 Excitement - 7/10

Total - 56/100