IMDb > The Fox and the Hound 2 (2006) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Fox and the Hound 2 (V) More at IMDbPro »

Please Spare Me

Author: thomas-allen10 from United Kingdom
5 January 2008

When I was a child, I absolutely adored Disney's The Fox and the Hound.

It was quite a dark drama focusing on the struggle of preserving a friendship when really the two different animals are suppose to be enemies in nature. I still found it to be a very good animated feature with some memorable characters and nice pieces of music to listen to.

But seriously, was there any need for a sequel when the first movie was released 27 years ago?

The Fox and the Hound 2 isn't as good as the original. I thought the storyline was weak and predictable

The animation in this film was very impressive but better technology doesn't mean better storytelling.

I just didn't think there was any need for a sequel because there was nothing more to add to the story. Although, showing Tod's cubs might have been good.

Overall, this film is nothing special and it's completely inferior to the original.

Disney really needs to stop making sequels because if you don't have a good story that is of equal quality to the first movie, what's the point in making a second one?

Cute, but not needed

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
15 September 2007

The Fox and the Hound is a quiet classic of Disney's, I highly recommend it, it was an extremely sweet story and a personal favorite of mine. So I was curious what was with the sequel, if they just prolonged the story or was it new characters? I wasn't too sure if this was a prequel or a re-make of the first film. Because of the way the story was in the first film, this didn't make much sense. I wasn't sure if it was just an added story, if it was, it was a bit silly. While the story and characters were cute, don't get me wrong, it's perfect for the kids, it just didn't do anything for me since I'm such a fan of the first film. I just feel like they shouldn't have ruined the story, the ending to the first film was perfect, we didn't need an additional story. But it wasn't bad for the kids, it's just a typical Disney sequel.

Todd and Chopper are back as young kids, they are having their typical play dates, but Chopper is feeling a bit down since he doesn't feel that he doesn't have any special talents. After a failed attempt at trying to hunt, Chopper's master leaves him home when he takes Chief to the fair for the howling and hunting contest. Todd takes Chopper to the fair anyways to cheer him up, and they end up meeting a stray dog singing group with wants Chopper to join due to his surprising pleasant voice. Todd gets left out, but the singer that got kicked out of the band because of Chopper, Dixie, she has a few tricks up her sleeve and wants back. Todd in the mean time just wants his best friend back.

The Fox and the Hound 2 is a better Disney sequel than most, I admit. But like I said it just wasn't needed, I was kinda disappointed in seeing the computer animation, you could tell when it wasn't hand drawn. The additional characters were cute, but they didn't do anything for me personally. I would recommend that you stick with the first Fox and the Hound movie, just because it's very original and a classic. For the kids, this sequel would be up their alley, but for the fans of the original, I wouldn't really go crazy over this.

Not great, but not bad

Author: Anaiyak from Australia
14 June 2007

As far as my experience with certain Disney sequels I was prepared for either success or failure. I got somewhere in the middle, the animation was lively and the acting good, but in the spirit of the original I didn't think it was quite there. The story failed to elaborate in relation to the original, unlike Bambi II which pulled it with surprising success. Having watched Bambi II I was very much expecting to see something of the same caliber, but this fell a little short. Too many new characters were introduced and several of the old characters didn't even merit a cameo appearance which was a little disappointing.

However, the movie still had it's fair share of cute moments to make you giggle, which was one of it's saving graces. The animation is at a great standard and no obvious flaws to spot and was casted reasonably well. I was concerned when the cover said "The music of today's hottest stars is centre stage" which sounded like a poor effort to grab the attention of any mainstream dolt, but the soundtrack wasn't too bad and had me tapping my toes in a few places.

From the point of view of a Disney cartoon it was a little under powered but it's still got some good laughs and pleasant moments, but don't go expecting the repeat success of the original.

An acceptable, but ultimately pointless film.

Author: TheLionKing from Australia
13 March 2008

'The Fox and the Hound 2' is possibly the worst Disney sequel I've ever seen, seeing as it bears absolutely no resemblance to the original, whatsoever. It's as if the only thing they took from the original was the characters (and clearly left 'Big Mama' behind).

Having said that, I actually don't mind it that much. It's pretty fun, exciting, adventurous, and entertaining for a measly Direct-to-DVD sequel.

Now, on to the animation. While it's easily more visually pleasing than the original, this one's too....cartoony in comparison to the original. Even if the animation wasn't perfect in the original, The characters were extremely detailed there. In this film, they seem to have just grabbed the characters, made them cartoony for the kids, and placed them in this non-stop thrill-ride. But there's some beautiful use of bright colours in this film, which does look fantastic.

While Disney sequels are obviously, and automatically going to be inferior to the originals by default, I think this was a pretty good effort, if not way too child-based.

"Well, It's Better then Bambi II….Sort Of…"

Author: Jason Rivera
9 June 2012

After watching Bambi II, I knew now that I can't trust Disney sequels. There always NEVER as good as the first. They suffer from being too babyish, TOO MUCH SINGING, sometimes even SHORTER then the first, and overall a LOT of people hate them. And that's the case with this.

Negatives: This, "Going to The Caraval" Crap never happened the first one. WHY THE HELL IS THIS STORYLINE HERE? I hate that little girl. NO REASON WHY SHE'S THERE. Too Babyish sometimes. Not as babyish as Bambi II though.

Positives: I admit I had some fun watching this. Dixie and cash is the only new character I like in this sequel. Animation is VERY good.

There is a lot of problems but it's sort of better then Bambi II. So I guess that's a plus.

Rednecks getting their heads stuck in beehives never gets old...

Author: mrmoo2001 from Australia
15 December 2008

There are some film titles that God never intended to have a numerical suffix. 'The Fox and the Hound' is one of those titles. This, on top of the fact that 'The Fox and the Hound 2' chronicles an unseen adventure that takes place during the first film, and not later as the number 2 would imply, I think I can safely say that 'The Fox and the Hound 2' isn't a very appropriate title at all.

Set when Tod and Copper are still young, the story follows them on a trip to the fair, where Copper finds that he is pretty good at singing. One thing leads to another and Copper has joined a band of singing dogs. One more thing leads to yet another thing and Copper is sidelining Tod in favour of his musical career.

Yes, it's ye olde fame-comes-between-friends™ plot.

So the story isn't exactly original. But don't let that scare you off, because the music is great. The numerous songs about being best friends are platitudinous and sentimental, but you can't deny that they're happy. I'm quite aware that my opinion of the music is boosted somewhat because I'm fond of the characters they're about, but on the other hand, is anyone who hasn't seen and liked the original going to bother with the straight-to-DVD sequel? The characters are also well presented. Clichéd as they are, they're well performed and likable. Oh, and it looks like Widow Tweed has the hots for Amos, which is one mental image I could have lived without.

Humour-wise, it's a lot more slapstick than before. Amos gets his head stuck in a beehive, and as the rampant Ferris wheel crashed through the fair I was thinking "Jesus Christ this is ridiculous", but in the best possible way.

Since some 25 years have transpired between this and its predecessor, most of the original actors have either gone through puberty or died, bringing the total returning voice talent to... none whatsoever. Ironically, Mickey Rooney (original adult Tod) and Kurt Russel (original adult Copper) are both alive and well, but as I mentioned before the story is set before Tod and Copper's voices had broken.

Anyway, the tone of 'The Fox and the Hound 2' is more fun than the original. 'The Fox and the Hound' was all about drama; this one's about having a giggle while you're still young. Overall, it's a harmless extension of a great film, though probably only enjoyable to those who (a) have seen 'The Fox and the Hound' and (b) liked seeing 'The Fox and the Hound'.

Surprisingly good!

Author: Ely-girl from United Kingdom
8 March 2007

This movie was surprisingly nice and heart-warming! At first I wasn't sure on the idea of watching a sequel but it turned out to be great! Plot line - Copper and Todd are still best friends and are always getting into mischief but it seems as if Copper is no good at anything -especially hunting! His luck quickly changes when he joins a band with the singing stays! Unfortunately Copper soon seems to have no time for Todd and it strongly affects there friendship.

This film was excellent in every way and most of the characters had a good sense of humour! The songs such as Friends For Life , blue beyond hound dude and We're In Harmony were very well done! (Hound dude was my favourite!) Even though this film is new the characters seemed to have there same voices just as they did in the old film! The animation was wonderful and just as before the film has all your favourite characters . E.G. Chief! The only thing I did notice about this film is that Big Momma (mummy!)wasn't in it but that really doesn't bother me! I recommend this film to everyone who likes the fox and the hound! They are both brilliant!

Cute fluff

Author: Meaghan Edwards from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
23 May 2010

If you're looking for a light-hearted, cute animated movie to enjoy with your family or just by yourself, I would recommend giving this prequel a try. While I am more of a fan of the original Fox and The Hound movie (which I highly recommend), it still made me smile and feel warm and fuzzy inside.

The animation was mostly good and better than many sequel direct-to-video animated movie releases (Balto sequels, I'm looking at you). It was not without it's flaws, however; at times I found the CGI with the ferris wheel and vehicles to be a touch jarring in comparison to the traditional animation. Likewise I think they did a decent job in the voice acting department with the original characters sounding relatively close (moreso for Todd and Copper) enough to what they sounded like in the original movie.

Lost in the sand of time

Author: rbn_lrk-1 from Denmark
30 June 2014

I was searching through animated Disney GIF and found The Fox and the Hound 2 from 2006.

2006 had a lot of animated movies, and this was one of the better.

But, don't come in and expect Dumbo.

At least the hand drawn Don Bluth like animation style is kept.

This is about Todd and Copper as cubs where they are at the fair, and are meeting a band of Country dogs.

These dogs want to go to Grand Ole Opry.

Copper joins the band, but it ends in conflict.

The animation, voice acting and the songs are great.

It's a great all star cast.

But this is too short, and could had used 30 minutes more.

Such a shame that this movie drowned in the row of 2006 Blockbusters.

If you love Country, lighthearted fun and dog movies Watch this.

What's with all the hate for this movie?

Author: logan_doneske
1 April 2014

I saw the original "Fox And The Hound" on Netflix. But once I did, I felt kind of sad and morbid, (I actually cried on my bed right after I saw it) the story had nice ideas, great characters, and all that good stuff. But the idea of two best friends becoming enemies and actually trying to kill each other is just not my cup of tea. I'm not saying that I hate the movie, I still think its one of the great Disney classics along with Robin Hood and Lady and the Tramp. I just think that it left me in a cloud of sadness and melancholy.

Then I saw the sequel, and I was pleasantly surprised....

This one actually relieved me of the bittersweet feeling I got with the first. The film is a prequel that starts all over and decides to change the ideas of the first one by lightening it up a little bit. (something that would normally be seen as a cop out, but for me it's perfect) So now we have a film that leaves me with a more positive feeling than a cold, dark one like with the original.

Along with a good idea, the film has more things to keep it running, just to give one example, PATRICK FRIGGIN SWAYZE!!! Now with a guy like him, you can't go wrong, as he gives a great performance that you could get out of him.

Now about the crappy reception the film is getting...

Most people are striking this film on just the fact that it's not as good as the original, and thus give the film a thumbs down.

The thing is when you're watching one of these sequels, you have to come in with an open mind, the least of expectations. Because you are watching a sequel, a film that will never be as good or as groundbreaking as the first. You just have to focus on the ideas about it trying to follow up or be prior to the first.

So while some people just bash this film to the ground, others like me either give it a positive review, or like me, Two Thumbs Up!

I consider this a great film to watch if you want to watch Fox and The Hound in a different way, or if you weren't satisfied with the first and want to see a more upbeat take.