IMDb > Brother Bear 2 (2006) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Brother Bear 2

Brother Bear 2 (V) More at IMDbPro »

Okay for sequel with some surprises

Author: Alfred_wong
23 September 2006

Referring to the first movie, Kenai had lived as a bear for the rest of his life to take care of Koda.

Here comes the story about Kenai and Nita, they are bonded by an amulet that Kenai gave Nita when they were kids. In order to break the spell, Nita must search for Kenai and destroy the amulet. The story ended as Nita and Kenai lived "happyly ever after", you do not even need to guess...

I had to say the story is a bit plain, but one thing I was a bit surprised is the scene that Kenai went to rescue Koda by attacking the village. It seemed that it was a curse to Kenai that in the first film he desperately wanted to hunt down the bear who killed his brother and said that bears are "Monsters". Now he was being hunted by the people and was called a "Monster". I think that what he got through was a penalty for him so as to repay his crime he had done.

Apart from that, The theme song, Feel Just like home, was nice and I enjoy listening to it.

For Disney, I had to say they did put effort on making the sequel, especially for story-writing. The latest sequels were Bambi 2 and Brother bear 2. Both did fine, it seems that they are improving. So, I scored this film 7 / 10.

Above average sequel to a beautiful first film

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
7 January 2010

I will admit I was not sure whether I wanted to see this sequel. I am not saying that all Disney sequels are terrible, Aladdin and the King of Thieves, Rescuers Down Under, Simbas's Pride, Enchanted Christmas and Bambi 2 were surprisingly good. However, Cinderella 2 and Jungle Book 2 were below par; both had average animation and a decent voice cast but everything else ranged from mediocre to poor, Cinderella 2 in the music and Jungle Book 2 in the plot.

What were my thoughts on Brother Bear 2 exactly? Well I was surprised. This sequel is above average, and you know what that is quite an achievement. Why do I say that? Well, the first Brother Bear has to be hard to beat in terms of quality. Like another Disney film like Pocahontas, it was visually stunning and I thought the music was awesome. Plus I found the characters engaging and the story heart warming. In fact, despite the flaws the first Brother Bear had, it is beautiful and very underrated.

Back on track, this sequel is inferior in quality to its original, but I admit I wasn't expecting otherwise. The story is a little thin on the ground, and not as well written and heart warming as the one in the first film. Also while there is some humour with the two Moose, the writing isn't quite as inspired. My next problem applies to a lot of the sequels come and gone, it is too short so there isn't quite enough character development.

That said though, a lot does compensate. Well for one thing, the animation is very nicely done. True it isn't as gorgeous or as detailed as the original's animation, but like Bambi 2, Ariel's Beginning and Cinderella 3 it's style is fluid and it is colourful. Some of the beginning scenes especially were like looking at a watercolour painting. Also the soundtrack is very nice, maybe not as catchy as Phil Collin's lively and fun one, that is good as the one he did for Tarzan, but the theme song is beautiful and very memorable. The characters are still likable, if we forgive the fact that Koda isn't quite as adorable anymore, and Nita reminds me in terms of looks of Mulan. And the voice acting is good, Patrick Dempsey is above decent as Kenai, but I do think Joaquin Pheonix put more heart and spirit into the character, and Mandy Moore is surprisingly emotive as Nita. Then like the original, there is some nice messaging.

All in all, not the best sequel there is, but it is above average and definitely worth the look. 7/10 Bethany Cox

I loved brother bear two

Author: angel_girl63 from United States
14 June 2007

I found Brother Bear Two and inspirational and beautiful movie. What I was able to reap from the movie was that through adversity and many obstacles true love, be it the love of a family or the love of another in this case a bear to human that our own spirit will direct us. Their heart are intrinsically linked the movie shows that thought we all have difficulty it can be overcome. I absolutely loved the music it was inspirational also. Melissa Etherage is wonderful and her music was outstanding. I'm afraid that some were expecting the movie to be really funny and not expecting a heartfelt message. I'm truly sorry if they were disappointed. Personally I love the movie and rate it 10 of 10

A mostly mediocre direct-to-video sequel, though it gets better towards the end

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
2 June 2010

"Brother Bear", released in 2003, is not one of the most popular Disney animated features, but like a number of the more popular ones, it did get the direct-to-video sequel treatment. "Brother Bear 2" was released in 2006. I saw the original for the first time just last month, nearly seven years after its release, and certainly didn't like it as much as some clearly do, but thought it was pretty good nonetheless. These Disney direct-to-video sequels aren't usually that good, and I figured this one would be no exception. Even though this one is more popular than some of the others, it didn't quite surpass my expectations. For the most part, I thought it was simply mediocre, with occasional funny moments, but also found that it got slightly better towards the end, so I thought it was still better than "Home on the Range".

Kenai now lives happily as a bear with his orphaned foster brother cub, Koda. Winter is almost over, and the bears have just awoken from hibernation. On their way to Crowberry Ridge to get berries, Kenai and Koda stop to sleep, and Kenai has a dream about Nita, a childhood friend of his, and it is then obvious that he is haunted by his memories of her. Meanwhile, Nita is about to get married, but the wedding is interrupted by the Spirits, who make it clear that they do not approve! When they were children, Kenai gave Nita an amulet, and she will not be able to marry somebody else unless she makes it to Hokani Falls in time for the vernal equinox and burns the amulet, and Kenai has to go with her. Innoko, the "sha-woman," puts Nita under a spell so she can communicate with bears, and Nita goes out to find Kenai and begin the trek to Hokani Falls. Along the way, the three of them (Kenai, Nita, and Koda) face more than one problem.

When I started watching this sequel, I already didn't find it very interesting, but knew this could change as the film went along. I didn't care much for the Nita character and the voice acting provided for her by Mandy Moore. The humour in "Brother Bear 2" usually doesn't work so well. Innoko, voiced by Wanda Sykes, is clearly supposed to be funny, but isn't, and basically, the same goes for Aunt Siqiniq and Aunt Taqqiq. Also Koda is once again pretty lame as a comic relief, and there are some poor lines in the film, such as Nita's comment when she sees Kenai as a bear for the first time. Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas returned to play Rutt and Tuke, the moose brothers based on the two actors' iconic "SCTV" alter egos, Bob and Doug McKenzie. If it weren't for them, the humour in this movie would generally miss the mark. The animation in this sequel is like that in the original "Brother Bear", pretty good, but not great. I also didn't find the adventure very entertaining for the most part. Towards the end, I found that there are some exciting and touching moments, which is what makes it slightly better at this point, and this is why I'm giving the film a 6/10 instead of a 5. So, "Brother Bear 2" may be entertaining for many kids and some adults as well, but unsurprisingly, like probably most of these direct-to-video sequels, I wouldn't call it a must-see.

A brilliant film, another animated classic from Disney

Author: animflashdragon from United Kingdom
25 October 2006

a sequel to an amazing animated movie, so naturally everyone was feeling a little uneasy, I admit, I was too, but now I've seen the film, I am happy to report that it is brilliant.

The plot of this movie seems straightforward, Kenai, fresh from his first winters hibernation, continues to think of his childhood as a human, in particular, Nita, a girl he rescued from falling through the ice when they were young, at which point he gave her an amulet, saying that they would always be friends. As the story follows Kenai and koda at the beginning of the movie, Nita is planning her own wedding, which is abruptly halted by a strike of lightning, and the shaman of the village tells Nita that she and Kenai are already a pair, and the only way to break the bond they share is to go with Kenai to the place where he gave her the amulet (I think its spelt Hokani falls) during the equinox when winter becomes spring, and burn the amulet in the presence of the spirits, only then can she marry.

so naturally this leads to old friends meeting up and a few surprises along the way, which is just as well, because without them, it would be a very short movie, finishing in only around an hour and fifteen minutes, I find the spin offs with the two moose brothers not as annoying as everyone seems to say they are, but if more was said about kenai Koda and Nitas journey instead then I would have preferred the latter.

I have put this film on my PSP and so far I have watched it four times in three days, if you are not already convinced that this is a great film, that is my personal assurance and recommendation to you.

This sequel also looked like it may never come to be, and certainly had some teething troubles, due to the regrettable and unfortunate suicide of Jason Raize, the voice actor for Denahi in the first film, and a real talent, who also did the voice of the adult Simba in the lion king movies for several years.

Despite constant intervention by the two dim-witted moose, and the short run time, this film is a must see, with a great storyline, animation I am in complete awe of, and brilliant music by Grammy winner Melissa Etheridge, who wrote two songs especially for this film.

The only problem now is I want to see more, Disney, if you are reading this, then I would love to see brother bear 3 in the works.

I gave this film a 10/10, and I don't give that elusive score to many, a true classic on par with the fantastic original, lets hope for a third outing

Excellent family film especially with young children

Author: Gavin Wilson from United States
28 January 2007

Disney outperformed itself in this sequel to "Brother Bear".

Most sequels for movies for family viewing usually lack in most departments, but Disney really put the effort into this one.

While the other "User Comment" covers the story line it missed in extolling the virtues of the movie. Some "Brother Bear 2" finer points are:

1. A solid first rate script for a family sequel--bonus points here.

2. A first rate song selection with two new songs from Melissa Etheridge. Her two songs, "Just Feels Like Home" and "It will be Me" are excellent. "It will be Me" is my favorite, and now one or my all time favorites due to its guitar/orchestral music and touching lyrics.

3. The return of the original cast--continuity is important for children. (Many actors deplore 'going back' and covering old ground--actors should consider the benefits and character-building these young minds derive from the casts's continued efforts in such sequels.)

4. The simple illustration of friendship, loyalty, and self-sacrifice--the storyline easily shows the family the importance of keeping these qualities.

If Disney writes another sequel on this Brother Bear theme and keeps the same higher quality, they should find it as well received and loved. While older kids may find the Brother Bear series story lines a bit slow to build, the younger children enjoy its pace, score, storyline, and characters. Brother Bear 2 is very "age appropriate" for their 'under' 8-year-old developing minds.

My young son loves both "Brother Bear" and "Brother Bear 2" as much as other age appropriate animated movies for the younger children such as "Cars", "Ice Age", & "Monster's Inc".

"Brother Bear 2" is a solid '9 out of 10' for its hitting the mark for the family with younger children.

A pleasant surprise...

Author: Rich Wright
21 March 2015

Yes, I do watch the occasional Disney film. No, I'm not ashamed to admit it. Maybe YOU should be ashamed for being so judgmental now. HARUMPH.

Anyway, this is a Direct-To-Video sequel to perhaps one of the company's lesser known efforts, Brother Bear. This follow-up obviously can't afford Phil Collins on songwriting duty again, and so hires a couple of singers called Melissa Etheridge and Josh Kelley to do a few ditties. And, very nice they are too. The animation as well is a noticeable downgrade from the original, but this is par for the cause with a reduced budget. Joaquin Phoenix doesn't return as Kenai, either, though unless you watched both films back-to-back, you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

Where this film REALLY scores though, is the friendship triangle that develops between the former human (now a bear) Kenai, the girl he was SUPPOSED to marry (before his transformation) Nita, and the young cub he adopted in the first movie, Koda. Nita wants to annul the original matrimony arrangement (I mean who'd want to get hitched to an egotistical ursine jerk? Maybe some people... But not in a Disney movie...) so the three go on a journey together to burn some 'ancient amulet' to achieve that goal... Bickering, arguing and eventually bonding all the way.

What follows won't come as a surprise to anyone... (In fact, I knew the ending before viewing. So hard to avoid spoilers these days...) but the camaraderie between the trio is infectious, and their emotional discoveries which erupt during their trek keeps you watching. There is also a couple of comedic moose to be found who are desperate for Kenai's help in obtaining mates (One of them is voiced by Rick Moranis in his last ever role before retiring from acting. WE'LL MISS YA BUDDY!!). Not exactly hilarious, but an okay sidetrack from the main plot on occasion.

Overall, I even prefer it to the first one. GASP!! At around 70 minutes in length, there's bearly (ha ha) any padding, and you can watch it in the morning, and still have enough for Fireman Sam, fingerpainting, and a trip to the park (BECAUSE YOUNG KIDS NEED EXERCISE TOO). Of course, this assumes you're watching it with very small children... I dare say, if you're comfortable in your own status as a masculine male who doesn't put much stock in the opinions of others... It sure beats the heck out of a movie marathon featuring 'the muscles from Brussels'. Gender stereotyping be darned.... 6/10

A cute follow up to the 2003 underrated Disney classic of the same name

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
26 February 2014

Brother Bear 2 is a follow up to the 2003 animated classic of the same name and stars Joaquin Phoenix as the voice of Kenai a hunter who got transformed into a bear following the death of a bear that he killed and as revenge he got turned into a bear.

This time however Phoenix didn't reprise his role so Grey's Anatomy Star and Enchanted actor Patrick Dempsey took over from Phoenix as the voice of Kenai. The story is about Kenai(Dempsey)and Koda(Suaze)who team up together to help an old friend of Kenai's called Nita(voiced by yup I will give you a clue she is an ex pop princess from the late 1990s and now she is the voice of Rapunzel from Tangled,any ideas well its Mandy Moore) who has to destroy an amulet so that she can get married.So together Nita,Kenai and Koda have to travel to go up some mountain where Nita has to destroy the amulet like I have mentioned before. But will Nita change her mind and does she have feelings for Kenai and will Kenai turn back into a human again?

Overall I enjoyed this sequel. Its not a patch to the original as some of the charcthers from the first movie aren't in it and the original voice for Kenai wasn't in it either. So what did I like about it,for starters the animation is vivid and beautiful I love the traditional animation like when it was in the 1990s and before Disney went down the Pixar route. Also I like the charcthers too yet Nita kinda reminds me of Lilo's sister meets Pocahontas with Rapunzel's voice added along the mix(I will talk about the voice acting in a minute). Now to the not so good yet I didn't mind was the voice acting. Patrick Dempsey is a very underrated actor who stars in A lot of mediocre films(except Enchanted he was really good in that movie)here his voice isn't a patch compare to Joaquin's who was A lot better as Kenai in my opinion. Also Mandy Moore,I know im a big fan of her's since 1999,but here I couldn't get into her charcther instead all I could think of was Rapunzel from Tangled(which she did 4 years later after this movie). I dunno maybe its because im so used to hearing her voice in Tangled and not here,but still she has a very childlike presence about her and her voice is very youthful and not oldish.

But still Brother Bear II is a great movie to watch and my advice is to watch the original first before seeing this one.I got this along with the first one last week for a great bargain and I was glad I bought it as it had a cute finale for the final part of the movie. Will there be a 3rd Brother Bear movie? hardly but still it was a cute movie.

6 out of 10

Unnecessary cash grab from Disney again.

Author: ravsten428 from United States
2 September 2017

Such a disappointment to the original Brother Bear. I'm not sure why Disney felt the need for another movie. The first one was great.

This one is just a filler for romance. Why do we really need this after the original taught us about what love really means? Sacrifice. Now instead of brotherly love we get love between a man and a woman. A reoccurring theme in millions of films. Enough already! This is a dud. Skip out on this waste of straight to video garbage.

P.S. Sha-Woman!? Worst pun ever.

Disappointing Sequel

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
20 December 2016

Brother Bear 2 (2006)

** (out of 4)

Kenai and Koda are happily living as bears but soon Kenai has a dream about a girl he knew back when he was human. Soon afterwards that girl, Nita, comes to him. She is about to be married but the spirits warn her about a bad curse if she doesn't take the amulet Kenai gave her to the place he gave it to her and burn it.

BROTHER BEAR came out of nowhere and really shocked me. The film has no reputation and it never gets brought up when people discuss good Disney movies and that's a really shame because the film was very good and deserves a better reputation. I wasn't sure what to expect from this direct-to-video release because these types of films from Disney are a real mixed bag. Sadly, this one here doesn't come anywhere close to matching the original's charm or heart and in the end this just seems like a money grab.

There really wasn't too much that I liked about this film. It's certainly not an awful movie but at the same time everything just seems like a watered down version of the original. The biggest problem is that the story itself just doesn't have too much going for it. I really wish there had been more of an adventure as the two bears and this woman went to the location they were trying to reach. There really wasn't any excitement or drama to be had. I'd even argue that the vocal performances weren't as strong as they needed to be.

BROTHER BEAR 2 thankfully didn't run too long but people should just stick with the original.