IMDb > Push (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Push

Push More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Ignore the critics, good film

Author: sebbytong from London, England
4 May 2009

I was really surprised by how entertained I was by this. There were many negative reviews of this film and after watching the film I realised how many critics are actually quite lazy. They derided the plot as convoluted but actually I found it complex but understandable. To dismiss it as a heroes knock-off is also unfair. It's a sci-fi film but that doesn't mean all sci-fi films are the same. The film makes good use of its Hong Kong location more so than any recent film I've seen and the characters were memorable. The special effects were there for the story and not the other way around. I usually read film reviews but am glad, in this instance, I ignored them.

Needs tidying up, but it's still good.

Author: obsidianskye
16 March 2009

PUSH is one of those movies which really got me excited after the first viewing of the trailer, and now that I've finally watched it, I'm glad that I did.

The storyline was rather good and believable, didn't leave me confused or bored at the end. Although more time could have been spent explaining certain things in detail instead of the constant scenes of standing around and pondering the next move.

The visual effects in this film are pretty good. And the acting isn't too bad either. Applause for Dakota Fanning and Chris Evans. Also, I really enjoyed the way the movie was shot, there was somehow this sense of realism to the whole thing.

However, I didn't enjoy Camilla Belle's acting. Although I did enjoy her performance in The Quiet, she just seemed really off in this movie. Either she wasn't given enough screen time, or she was outshone by Dakota.

By the way, those who are comparing this show to HEROES are preposterous. Telekineseis and all of these special abilities have been around long before then! Though I am a huge fan of HEROES, I think it's really nothing in comparison to PUSH.

By the way, this show had me glued to the sit even when I really had to use the toilet. In other words, I hope there's a sequel.

Let yourself be Pushed.

Author: Jens Sangsta from Sweden
16 June 2009

I don't see why this movie has been turned down by so many people or why such a bad word has been spread about it.

Push is one of the better modern superhuman-themed movies you will find. It won't be your top five of the year and you won't watch it a million times, but you should really like it. It won't blow you away, but it won't disappoint you.

I give my opinion on this movie not as a fully fledged movie expert, fully up-to- date, premier-going, Oscar-loving critic - but as an artistically natured, deep- rooted film lover. And I say this movie is worth watching. It has a bit of everything that is to be desired in a good movie. While a lot could've been different, and you could've improved it in many ways, it's still fine just as it is.

The story in this movie is excellent. How it is portrayed and told is great. The actors all fulfill their role, some with splendor. And no matter what anyone might have told you; this movie is greatly artistical.

I believe Push is quite unique in many ways, foremost for its unusual lack of hierarchy of the powers you see in the film. You're used to see a lot of people possessing powers, but only one of them - Magneto for instance - being the one standing above all else. But in Push no one is the obvious stronger one.

Push uses a lot of twists, and not in the first-Saw-movie way which blows you out of your seat, but it still manages to keep the movie interesting, even tough the twists are all quite predictable.

Push is also, as I said, greatly artistical. It has a lot of fantastic colors and utilizes lighting very well, it's set in very beautiful environments, and there are a lot of other great cinematic techniques being used. I especially like the choice of soundtrack in this movie. It reminds me a lot of the way they choose to use music in The Dark Knight. Instead of some really catchy, noticeable soundtrack there's been a very diligent work done with a subtle yet powerful soundtrack that emerges only when necessary and gives an indescribable force to the movie.

All in all, Push is a quite non-mainstream, entertaining, good movie worth watching.

Adding Hong Kong grit to the superhero film genre

Author: steelydwill from United States
5 February 2009

While there have been superhero genre films, there is something about the way that Push takes you through the back alleys, fish markets and pint-sized hotel rooms of Hong Kong that sets it apart and makes it palpably exciting. It is exotic, but this is no fantasy world, it is a dirty reality that the characters inhabit.

Fitting perfectly with this is the lack of a clear hierarchy of super powers. In most superhero films, there are clear levels of powers, and you know exactly which characters should be stronger than others, but Push has a perfectly muddied picture – we're on the edge of our seats, because we don't know who should win. It feels oddly realistic.

Chris Evans rises to the occasion as usual as the semi-powerful protagonist, Nick, mixing in his trademark cocky funny attitude with a subtle melancholy outlook. Dakota Fanning is definitely growing up, and she is highly likable as the adolescent future teller. Camilla Belle is gorgeous, and Djimon Hounsou is as intimidating as ever as the primary villain.

It's weird to see people compare this to Jumper, because while Jumper was filled with cheap tricks, Push has you talking about the movie when you leave theaters, and thinking about its concept long after. I really like the universe it created, so I really hope we'll get to see it again with a sequel!

Best of the recent movies in this new sci-fi sub-genre

Author: blindcurve from United States
7 February 2009

"Push" is the best movie from a recent new genre of science fiction movies. This new genre of movies, which includes "Jumper" and "Wanted", generally involves characters with psychic or psionic abilities, a conspiratorial shadow group, and an unlikely anti-hero, set against a banal or dystopian realism. "Push" blows these other two admittedly weak offerings out of the cinematic water.

Both the visuals and the action in "Push" are quite good. "Push" is set in Hong-Kong. The city has enough exotic flavor to be interesting and enough grit to provide a realistic backdrop for the more fanciful elements of the film. The filmmakers captured the feeling of a William Gibson novel without having to set the film at night in the rain for the entire movie.

The action sequences are excellent. "Push" does not suffer from the hyper-kinetic, shake-the-camera-until-the-viewer-is-confused action sequences of "Bourne Ultimatum" or "Quantum of Solace". In "Push", you know who is punching whom and you can tell who is winning.

Visual effects? Here is what sold me on this film and on this filmmaker's vision: When a "mover" (a person with telekinetic powers) uses his ability to push something away or to enhance the power of a punch (yes, I said TK-enhanced fight sequences...don't drool on your keyboard) the visual effects people were smart enough to consider the effect on the nearby air. The air gets...crimped, and as a result the light refracts in a split second rainbow pattern at the moment of impact. That level of forethought and detail is what "Jumper" and "Wanted" lacked.

Another element that this movie possesses that "Jumper" and "Wanted" doesn't is a focus on the characters. Any movie or show about psychic powers or "superpowers" lives or dies on the relationships between the characters. The male lead and Dakota Fanning are excellent together and quickly establish a rapport that gives the film more depth. Honorable mention goes to the enemy "watcher"--she is genuinely threatening, lollipop notwithstanding. I also loved the tip of the hat to the anime genre exhibited in Cassie's (Fanning) wardrobe.

This movie is worth every bit of the matinée price I paid. And I will probably watch it again.

A few points: One, this is not a superhero movie. While people who like "Heroes" and some of the Marvel films might enjoy this movie, one should not go in expecting that kind of experience.

Two, I do wish that the producers had about 15 million extra dollars. The extra money would have allowed them to show more of the story and neatly tie a couple of loose ends, rather than telling the audience. I sincerely hope this film does well enough to garner a more expansively budgeted sequel.

Three, this movie has some minor plot issues, especially a small deux ex machina cum Toyota, that might bother some. But, if you choose to buy into the experience, "Push" will take you on a fantastic ride.

-Blindcurve

Interesting premise...

Author: Siamois from Canada
23 July 2009

Push offers a very interesting premise with its wide variety of psychics and the agency trying to keep it all under control and use them. Hong Kong offers an exotic background for the action to take place.

The movie makes an interesting attempt at being half action thriller, reminiscent of a Bourne movie, and half super-hero blockbuster, in the tradition of the X-Men. But director Paul McGuigan is never able to make us fully feel for the characters and their ordeal and the action sequences, while pleasant to watch, never instill emotional response. We're not scared for anyone, our blood does not pump during chases either.

The two stars of Push are an unlikely duo of actor which surprised me somewhat. Chris Evans has often been derided as being just another bland pretty face. Here, he is paired with young Dakota Fanning, who has been revered by many as a child prodigy actress. What's interesting to me is that, had I not seen previous films from these two, I wouldn't notice much difference in quality between the two. They both give a suitable performance. Neither Oscar-worthy nor garbage.

Unfortunately, the support cast is very weak. Camilla Belle is pretty but bland as usual. Cliff Curtis and Djimon Hounsou are both amazing actors but here they have very little to work with. I blame McGuigan and writer David Bourla for not providing them with opportunities to shine.

What makes this movie a 5 rather than a 6 is its confusing and botched conclusion. As if somehow the production ran out of time and needed to wrap things up on the spot. Perhaps hoping for a sequel? Push has an intriguing premise and more than enough basic material to be stretched into a trilogy or even a short TV series but as is the rule of thumb with those sort of things, it is doubtful things will get better should sequels be produced.

I wish the premise had been used to tell a better story, in a better way.

A great piece of something different... I already bought it!

Author: entwinedarts from United States
8 July 2009

The trailer for "Push" did not give me a desire to see it in the theater... It was actually a last minute choice to go see it in hopes to see a good action movie. I was certainly surprised -- I have heard some bad reviews of this film, but I must say the choice to go see it was WORTH my time. The story was excellent and pieced together very well. The way it was written was something I rarely see in movies anymore. Most directors rely on special effects and explosions anymore, but "Push" used it's action/CG as a companion to the plot. The plot's structure was on the line of "The Jacket" or "Burn After Reading" where details, no matter how subtle, seem to twist and mesh into a well-thought-out idea. The little visions of the future and appearance of random characters are not meant to be simply passed off. You are allowed to think in this one... What a nice change! Switches between the gritty and crisp, colorful filming worked well in bringing a certain mood to the appropriate scenes (which also looks brilliant on BluRay). The actions scenes were great as well... With the company of the Pushers' powers and the manipulation of people and objects around them, those scenes did not usually go in the direction I anticipated.

This is not fair to call "Push" a "super hero" movie. It is not really a super hero movie, nor is it a traditional action movie; I believe this was the intention. The bolder science fiction basis kept the plot focused and within the realm of "its own" feel and stayed away from the "everything everyone else is doing" feel. Actions scenes were powerful yet short; I was left wanting more, so when the next series of craziness began I was more involved and appreciated it more.

Sure there were some editing flaws, but even major blockbusters going back to "Jurassic Park" have issues. Even still, I have found that some of these reported "flaws" in "Push" are incorrect after viewing it for a second time on BluRay.

As a final note, the entire cast held their roles wonderfully and left a lasting impression of each of their characters. I guarantee that if the original cast chose to return, I would be in line for a "Push" sequel on opening night.

I took a nice surprise with Push

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
15 May 2009

When I saw the trailer of Push,I thought it was going to be one of those cheap movies made at low cost in order to getting a release during the low seasons of the cinematographic industry from the year.The fact that this movie went completely unnoticed when it was shown in cinemas from the United States confirmed my very low expectations with this movie.However,I won some enthusiasm for this movie when I knew its director was Paul McGuigan,whose previous movie Lucky Number Slevin,was an unmemorable but entertaining and dynamic rehash of the formula which was popularized by Lock,Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and its many imitators.When I finally saw Push,I took a very nice surprise with it.It's not a great film,but I found it to be a solid and very entertaining thriller with an ingenious screenplay and interesting characters.The story from this movie is developed on Hong Kong and it was an excellent decision to do that,because the exotic taste from that city makes the movie richer,not to mention the obvious possibilities of comparisons with the popular TV series Heroes go down.McGuigan's direction is perfect.He puts to this movie a good level of energy and dynamism,but he recognizes the moments in which the narrative requires a more subtle and controlled work.The direction is,by my point of view,the best element from this movie.I also appreciated the sober use of the special effects,because they only appear as authentic auxiliaries to the story.The cast is very competent.Chris Evans shows energy and conviction on his role; Dakota Fanning confirms she has left behind her past as a mini-adult,for becoming into an excellent juvenile actress; the great Djimon Hounsou brings a lot of style and energy to his character; and Ming Na is also pretty good on her role.The important fails from this movie appear on the ending.On that moment,the movie shows absurd exaggeration for finally concluding on an ambiguous and not too satisfactory note.But,in spite of that,I had a very good time watching this movie.I took a very nice surprise with Push and I recommend it because,although it is not a great movie at all,I found it very entertaining.

"All substance, No sense"

Author: Simon_Says_Movies from Toronto, ON, Canada
3 March 2009

The old saying goes, "all style, no substance" but the same cannot be said for Push. If anything, this superheroesque sci-fi actionier is more like "all substance, no sense". I have found one of the carnal sins of movie making is trying to smarten up a movie that doesn't need to be bumped up a peg. In place of break-neck action, director Paul McGuigan (who helmed the 2006 cult hit Lucky Number Slevin) has opted to cram more information and back-story down our gullets then an unlucky turkey on thanksgiving, yet without ever really accomplishing anything but convolution.

To be fair, there is still a good lot to recommend about this film. Nobody could accuse Push of being unoriginal and to McGuigan's credit the characters are more fully realized then those in most films of a similar ilk (McGuigan himself said he was more concerned with the character element then the action). Yet from the confusing opening to the splurge of character introduction in the opening act, many will find themselves drifting off and losing interest. Thankfully, by the final act the mood has settled, the heroes and villains drift in and out enough to become familiar and the supernatural element becomes significantly less convoluted. (Although some post-film research helped further yet) Cementing the movie in the realm of watchability is a spectacular final battle, shot almost entirely with stunt-work and the gritty effect is quite enticing.

The world is not as it may seem. Psychics are very real and they are both a blessing and a curse to a shadowy and sinister organization known only The Division (oooh, scary). Heavily monitored, some of those with special gifts work for The Division, others are on the run, some in hiding, but some become part of secret experiments to harness their unique gifts as weapons. Among these unique individuals are varying varieties of skills; there are Bleeders who can emit high frequency screeches that cause death, Movers who can move objects with their mind, Pushers who can insert thoughts and memories into others and the list goes on to include Shadow's, Shifter's, Sniffer's, Stitcher's, Watcher's and Wiper's. (You can see where confusion could set in) The story begins with a young Mover named Nick Grant (Chris Evans) who is attempting to avoid the Division and its shady leader Carver (Djimon Hounsou) who wants to keep tabs on him. He crosses paths with a young but gifted Watcher named Cassie (Dakota Fanning) who unfortunately has the nasty propensity to predict their deaths. Leading them to a high value subject of The Division's (Kira, coincidently an old flame of Nick's) Cassie, Nick and Kira try to prevent the powerful agency from getting hold of dangerous and powerful drug. I won't go any further into the plot then that, because otherwise I'm fairly certain you would never read my reviews again.

Of the countless films in recent years, Push reminds me the most of Jumper in more ways then one. They both feature a small population of gifted individuals being hunted by a powerful and secretive organization, and with both securing the skills of a ruthless African American agent. (In Jumper's case it was Samuel L. Jackson) More similar yet is the clear indication that the films are intended to be the first in a series of many (I will say that Push does an infinitely better job of wrapping up its chapter then the shamelessly gaping ending of Jumper) and with both I feel that any subsequent instalments will be a large improvement over the set-up and confusion of the original. So when push comes to shove, here is hoping that studios feel this inventive but uneven chase adventure was enough of a success for a sequel.

6.5 / 10.0

Read all my reviews at: http://www.simonsaysmovies.blogspot.com

Great Concept, Shabby Execution

Author: stephs_sanctuary from Philippines
9 May 2009

Just saw Push recently. The beginning of Push immediately grabbed my attention. I thought, "Wow! How could I dismiss this film all this time. It's really great." But as the movie progressed, it grew bland and dragging. I wasn't even paying attention to it at one point.

The cinematography was great and the way the concept has so much potential. The way these people with powers were divided immediately got me hooked. But the problem is, this was not utilized in the film too much.

There are also too much pointless exchange of words and not enough action to get the plot going, and after a while it gets irritating. I can't help but think that this could be a wonderful film if it was just executed well.

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]