IMDb > Eye of the Dolphin (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Eye of the Dolphin More at IMDbPro »

Great family Film!

Author: buddybrd from South Florida
17 March 2007

Saw this film at a film festival.. I liked it a lot. Carly did a great job as the kid lead in the film. All the characters did their roles very well. I know Dolphins are very smart, but it must have been difficult to get three dolphins to perform in co-ordination the way they did. Story line has a good moral message, and the Dolphins and the kid are heroes in the end. This is just the kind of film I like to take my grandkids to see. The photography of the blue Bahama waters and the dolphins was first class. Makes you want to go there and lay on the beach. It was great to see Catherine Ross in a film again... although not a big part, she handled it like a pro. I give this one a 9.

Sweet and cheesy family flick? I think not.

Author: starzinurreyez from United States
2 August 2007

"Eye of the Dolphin", with a title like that you would expect the film to be a cheesy family flick or sweet adventure for the little ones. Well, although it is a film a family can watch and enjoy together and has dolphins swimming around and jumping about in a beautiful location, cheesy and sweet are not words I would choose to describe this movie.

Eye of the Dolphin is an eye opening, thoughtful, and engaging experience. With a lovely cast starring Carly Schroeder, your not so typical teenage girl. Granted young girls like make-up, boys, and talking but they are at a stage in their life where the slightest troubles and tragedies can throw their whole world askew into the dark abyss of adolescence.

Although they are young they have an innate ability to relate and associate themselves with those who they find similar. And who better to do that than Alyssa, a troubled teen who has just lost her mother, is being expelled from school, and is forced to live in a new place where she knows no one especially the father she thought she didn't have.

This film explores the nature of the father and daughter relationships. At a time that is the most difficult for the majority because it is at a period where dad and daughter are the most distant from each other. Coming from two completely different worlds where both suddenly have to discover new ways to relate and communicate.

We are also given snippets of questions and ideas to ponder. How to stand up for what your passionate about. No matter how estranged, how important family is. What is valuable to a community? Where is the line drawn between science and spirituality?

To add to all of this is the element of adventure Alyssa brings to the screen. Who wouldn't love the ability to communicate with animals and swim free in the wild with dolphins? There is also one last thing that ties this all together for the film, its beauty. Not only is it shot on location in the Bahamas but the cinematography is gorgeous. The colors draw you into the tropical and underwater world of Alyssa and Rosca her new dolphin friend.

All in all this is a film that pleasantly surprises and succeeds on many levels. Most of all when you walk away you will say to yourself..."I wish I could swim with dolphins!"

Rather boring

Author: Khemaluck Deeprawat (khemaluckd@hotmail.com) from Thailand
10 April 2009

Usually I love films with animals very much, but "Eye of the Dolphin" disappointed me. The acting of the cast is mediocre and not interesting. Somehow I just don't like the guy who plays the father. His personality did not convince that he was a scientist who is passionate about dolphins. The story moves so slow and the whole thing was predictable. The ending is not even believable. The dolphins are cute but somehow it's just nothing different from the way we saw them at the show. The best thing about this movie is the scenery of the beach and its wild life. It makes me want to go visit Bahamas one day.

In conclusion, this is not like a horrible movie or anything. It's just boring and predictable. I watched through the whole thing. I just don't want to watch it again.

Fun for the Whole Family

Author: SFHStiger22 from United States
22 June 2007

First, for all of you dolphin lovers and anything ocean friendly related:You will love the message that this film delivers. It demonstrates that while people may have an interest in learning more about dolphins and ocean creatures, that interest shouldn't let people forget about dolphins and take them away from their natural habitats and ways. This film says that we can learn about the world around us while preserving its natural beauty and keeping it safe. Second, the movie has a great story with a great set of actors. It it something that will get the whole family to sit together in their living room, take in the movie and have a nice discussion about it afterward. The kids will love the dolphins,the teens can relate to the main star, the parents will like laughing at the dad's first attempts at parenting and everyone will just love the scenes that show what the Bahamas has to offer. I think that a movie that can get my 16 year old brother's attention and keep my dad awake is worth seeing.

Wow...Quite Good

Author: Adam from United States
6 July 2007

To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this film, but I came away from it really impressed. Even though it's somewhat corny at times, it deals with some fairly complex issues. There was emotion, drama, and even some well-placed humor. The film looks great, and has some impressive performances, especially from some of the more minor characters. Plus, there were the dolphins. Ahhhh, the dolphins. Very cute, and very funny, as always. Granted, it's not my kind of movie, but it's very well made, and definitely enjoyable. I would highly recommend this to anyone into teen/family dramas, or anyone who's a fan of dolphins.

Reaction on the article of "Giving the wrong idea"

Author: Hilke13 from Belgium
16 December 2007

First of all I think this movie gives a better vision on dolphins than Flipper or Zeus and Roxanne. I think the purpose of the movie is to tell the people that dolphins are indeed born to be in the wild. Yes they are very clever and yes they are nice to look at ! Of course dolphins are dolphins and they are not 100% controllable. You've probably seen those "American" video clips where tamed orca's go wild..Orca's are dolphins.

Now, The point is, the father IS saying to this girl she can't just go in to the water and swim with the dolphin BECAUSE this is dangerous and he explains why. But at the end she is communicating in some way with the dolphin. A wild horse can not be tamed but CAN accept you if it feels you won't harm him(INSTINCT).Don't forget when we grow up, we loose or natural instincts and we act by other influences. It's amazing how children sometimes communicate with animals.

In the end they do tell everyone dolphins should be in the wild but than again for science and for understanding there is examination needed, but this is definitely not the same as an amusementparkattraction.

The dolphin story is a sidestory. The story goes about a confused girl who lost her mother and she didn't know that she had a father. She learns to deal with mothers death.Her father learns how to be a father. I think it's a nice film that goes with the free Willy storyline.I am sorry for my English, this is not my native language.

OK but sloooow

Author: artpf from United States
5 October 2013

Alyssa is a troubled 14-year old. What a surprise.

Suspended from school a year after her mother has drowned, her grandmother Lucy, who doesn't want to be called grandma -- doesn't that explain Alyssa? -- at wit's end, decides to take Alyssa to her father, James, whom Alyssa thought was dead for years.

Some family.

He studies dolphin communication at Smith's Point, on the Grand Bahama Island. James has not known of Alyssa's existence and is clueless about parenthood. Amazing.

The women arrive at the same time that James may lose his research operation to a tourist attraction. Convenient.

Father, daughter, dolphins, and town are on a collision course. Alyssa and James get encouragement from James's girlfriend and her father. It's the dolphins who can teach, and Alyssa who discovers how to listen.

What a pitch. The film is just OK, but it's not surprising it made no money.

Another Animal Movie

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
9 March 2012

"Eye Of The Dolphin" has all the features that are tailor made to result in a successful movie: it's set in a beautiful location (the Bahamas), it's about animals to appeal to animal lovers, it's specifically about dolphins and raises the question of whether they should be held in captivity so it has a certain environmental appeal, and it has a very pretty young star in Carly Schroeder as Alyssa. While all those things usually work together well and result in a pretty good movie, somehow "Eye Of The Dolphin" seemed lacking. The story was in general just too perfect - a too easy reconciling of a father and daughter (Adrian Dunbar and Schroeder) who had never met, a too simplistic set-up of the problem - Dunbar's "Hawk" wants to study the dolphins while the townspeople in the surrounding area want to use them to bring in tourists, and the whole angle around Alyssa being able to communicate with the dolphins just seemed to easily and too quickly developed to be believable, and the townsfolk are converted to Hawk's side far too quickly, just because they see Alyssa swimming with the dolphins? You also come away from this not really knowing much more about the dolphins than you knew going into it. They seem cute and playful and friendly and smart. That would have been my impression all along.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing in particular "wrong" with this movie. At the start there was even a sort of edginess around Alyssa that had some promise for plot development, but that kind of fizzled. This is fine family fare; kids will enjoy it. It's just that there are far better and more entertaining movies you can watch with your kids. (4/10)

Surprising and entertaining

Author: djn214 from United States
29 August 2007

I had absolutely no interest in seeing the film and only did so after I was able to get some promotional tickets. Though the story sells like a coming of age tale, it's much better than that. The beginning is a bit cliché but once the story begins to take hold it becomes a unique and enjoyable film experience.

Carly Schroeder is a fun actress to watch. It will be interesting to watch her acting career develop in the next few years. George Harris and Christine Adams are wonderful and tend to steal the scenes without trying. Jane Lynch is always a welcome addition and adds some class to the whole film.

The story, though obviously geared towards younger girls does not discriminate against age or sex; it's a fun film for anyone.

Response to Matthew's Rant

Author: jflxster from United States
24 August 2007

(THE SPOILER DOESN'T COME UNTIL THE END, AND IT'S WELL MARKED)

Matthew, you're to be commended for your concern for marine mammal welfare but your comments miss the mark and are unfair to the movie.

You say: "The film portrays dolphins in the wild as friendly and sociable with humans, in fact wild dolphins prefer to keep clear of human contact if possible and can pose a threat."

You seem to be saying, among other things, that you view it as implausible that a wild dolphin would behave in a friendly manner towards a human, yet there is much evidence dating back centuries showing that occasionally dolphins do in fact seek out humans in the manner depicted in the movie. There is a scientific term for a dolphin who enters bays and inlets and seeks out human interaction -- "lone sociable dolphin". You can read an interesting summary of these cases at http://www.mmc.gov/reports/ contract/pdf/samuelsreport.pdf -- there are over thirty documented cases.

As for a "lone sociable dolphin" possibly posing a threat -- Hawk is clearly worried about that

when he forbids Alyssa from seeing the dolphin again. He also makes the point that this behavior is an aberration, not normal, and that a dolphin doing this is "psychologically unstable". He says "it's bad for the dolphins, Alyssa", and eventually "somebody gets hurt" -- which is the other point, and that is that lone sociable dolphins frequently become a local tourist attraction (it recently happened in Ireland, by the way), and sometimes things get out of hand to the detriment of the dolphin.

The film depicts another aspect of interaction between humans and wild dolphins when it shows the tour boat captain bringing in tourists, then feeding the dolphins and letting his tourists swim with them. This type of "food provisioning habituation" of dolphins by tour operators is another thing the film, through Hawk, seems to be against. It certainly doesn't seem to be promoting it.

(BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILER FOLLOWS)

There's one other point to consider, and this concerns the film's position on dolphin captivity. At the end of the movie the film suggests that instead of captivity, it might be possible for dolphins to be hosted by humans, and interact with them, but not be captive. What is depicted in the film is very close to the "Third Phase Alternative" to dolphin captivity developed by Ken Levasseur. In Levasseur's program, captive dolphins are trained and, over time, allowed to return to the wild and interact with humans on their terms, not the humans. This is depicted in the movie as a solution, and thus the film seems to be taking an enlightened position on captivity issues. You might want to read Levasseur's "Third Phase" paper. It can be viewed online at http://whales7.tripod.com/policies/levasseur/ levass3a.html.