IMDb > Samoan Wedding (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sione's Wedding

Samoan Wedding More at IMDbPro »Sione's Wedding (original title)

Hilarious

Author: lindsa from New Zealand
31 March 2006

A brilliant combination of good jokes, clever sight gags and neat characters.

OK, it's a bit contrived in parts and you can pretty much guess the story and its outcomes after seeing the trailer, but it does handle things differently enough to be very rewarding. Fun, funny and surprisingly well acted.

Oscar Kightley and the rest of the Naked Samoan group play with racial stereotypes in their usual harmlessly funny way. They make the point without shoving it down your throat. The humour is not your typical Hollywood style; which gives the whole production a certain freshness.

The only thing that lets the film down a little is the director's choice to do sequences of still frame shots (in music video style). It really doesn't have any impact other than to become annoying. Fortunately, it doesn't get out of control.

On the whole, though, it was a fantastic film. I can't wait to see it again.

Very funny and simply brilliant!

Author: romulanbee from Australia
3 April 2006

I just came back from the Blenheim Cinema and all I could think of was to tell as many people as I could that I just watched a totally brilliant kiwi film. The film is more or less about 4 Samoan friends in their thirties and their quest to find a date to bring with them to Sione's (Pua Magasiva) wedding. The film is a brilliant portrayal of life in the contemporary Samoan community of Auckland, sort of reinforcing the stereotypical Kiwi Samoan guy. This film reminds me a lot of Australia's 2000 film "The Wog Boy" which is centered around the antics of a couple of guys from Melbourne's Italian & Greek community which reinforces those ethnic stereotypes as well.

I found Oscar Knightley's performance as "Albert" a shy guy in his thirties who still lives with his mum to be totally outstanding, his acting was very genuine and convincing.

The story was strong and held together very well, the movie was very straight to the point without any needless scenes that causes the mind to wander.

The Cinematography was great, I love all the scenes of Auckland, really gave it that "Aucklandy feel" if you know what I mean.

I think New Zealand should be making more films based around the lives of the Pacific Islander communities, this would give the world a broader picture of life in contemporary New Zealand.

I highly recommend this film to anyone who enjoys a good comedy and at the same time would like a peek into the life and times of Auckland's Samoan community.

See it!

Author: fiverites
22 March 2006

Siones Wedding is a kiwi comedy with a Polynesian twist.

It has all the right ingredients to make this movie enjoyable for all ages. (Well maybe not the under 13's due to some sexual references).

The plot is basically, four close friends from childhood are all in their thirties and not showing any signs of growing up. They have a reputation of spoiling important events at family/friends functions due to their immaturity and fondness for alcohol. (These are caught on home video which will have you in stitches!) Due to their latest antics the family and friends have their church minister inform them that are banned from attending Siones (Totally over-acted by Pua Magasiva) wedding which is Michaels (Robbie Magasiva) brother (both off and on screen). They offer the idea of them all attending with respectable partners to the minister, to which he and Sione agree. So you get the idea now right?

Oscar Knightley plays Albert, a shy 30ish guy still living at home with his mum. He came across as very genuine, likable but most importantly believable.

Leilani, was convincingly portrayed by Teuila Blakely as Sefas long suffering live in girlfriend.

Sefa (Shimpal Lelisi)has the ability to make you laugh by facial expressions alone and Stan (Iaheto Ah Hi) has a wild time waiting for his dream girl from a chat line (a la Hot Gossip, yeah, you know!)

Derek (David Van Horn) the European guy at Alberts office who tries to speak Samoan is a total crack up! Ma low eeoowsoo!

For the girls, your eye candy is Robbie and Pua Magasiva, and for the guys it is Maryjane McKibbon-Schwenke.

Sure the movie is predictable, but don't let that in the least stop you from seeing it. You will not be disappointed, go in expecting little and come out feeling good about spending your $14.00. This movie is well worth it!

The only thing that bugged me was the jail scene which is a total Fresh Prince of Bel Air rip off. But whats done is done!

Go and see it, a great date movie.

I loved it!

Author: NZHoney from Palmerston North, New Zealand
25 April 2006

This was such an awesome movie, I enjoyed every minute of it, laughed my socks off!

If you loved Bro Town, you will love this. If you don't "get" Bro Town you won't "get" this movie.

This is one I will be buying on DVD as soon as it is out!

The boys show just how hard it can be to be taken seriously in that weird game of love.

It is also a good insight into the samoan community, how they love life and really put everything into a party!

The characters were so real and so funny! . Totally recommend!

Siones Wedding

Author: ezyjamma from New Zealand
12 June 2006

Just watched the movie and reckon its one of the better flicks to be released in NZ for a good few years. Oscar and the boys (and all the babeliscious wahines ) should feel proud that they've all made a totally cool film.

We definitely need more films like this, as its a complete break from all those over the top, no brain, action farces that Hollywood spews out each year.

This story is hip, its vibrant, its not over done or fake. Its all about the social problems and silly situations that we all get ourselves into at one time or another, oh and did I mention funny?

The actors all did a great job, and watching them play their parts was great fun, especially the Palagi home boy wannabe.......what a crack up!!! this movie is champion, blardy champion!!

Thanx to the director and cast for entertaining us, and for showcasing the rich cultural stylez of our Pacific Island brothers and sisters, I cant wait for the sequel.

Loved it

Author: thorney from New Zealand
28 April 2006

OK it was predictable that Oscar would go to the wedding with his co worker but hey Four Weddings and a Funeral was pretty predictable. I loved Siones Wedding as black. white or Brindle boys will be boys. I must admit i haven't been to many weddings where the Police and The Fire Dept have arrived! The scene shot from out of the taxi back window of Oscar calling "ruth" was one of the classics of any movie I have seen. And at the end of the day don't we want to come out of a movie with that feel good emotion ? Good on you John Barnett for the idea. Thoroughly recommended and even though i don't live in Auckland now i loved seeing the landmarks and trying to recognized the parks etc !

Fun Buddy Movie

Author: musclebeach2001 from United States
5 December 2006

I loved this movie - you really feel the friendship amongst these guys - it's not a perfect movie in the "Three Act Structure/Everyone has an arc way" - but it's funny and real and the guys are easy to relate to - and it's ultimately emotional. I understand why it's a big hit in NZ. I think the actors were all in a comedy troupe together which explains their chemistry. It's interesting that the Samoan culture in NZ seems to be akin to the black/hip-hop culture in the States - they even have their version of the "wigger". I also like that the flick is fairly natural - not to broad like a lot of comedies. It was also interesting to learn more about the Samoan community - they weren't too heavy handed with the racial angle though. It reminded me a bit of a cross between Wedding Crashers and Diners. Seems ripe for a Yank remake.

Over-hyped and overrated

Author: notallowedtohug from New Zealand
1 June 2006

It seems to me, as a recent film school graduate, that in these times of New Zealand film reaching new heights, the general public seems to think every New Zealand film made is great. Sione's Wedding proves this is dead wrong.

It's completely overrated and not funny, and far from the 'hilarious' film other users of IMDb have commented. The only really funny thing I found in this film was Derek the wannabe black guy, but other than that the jokes were recycled crap that we'd all heard before.

Being of half-Samoan decent, I wanted to see how the film was going to deal with Polynesian representation. It was a complete balls-up - I know it's a supposed comedy, but I didn't feel like the characters had anything new to say about Polynesian identity, even if it was in a tongue-in-cheek manner. I was most disappointed with the ending of the film and the resolution of the character's relationships - Mikaele was the player who only messed around with white women, comes to slightly turn his ways when the 'Dusky Maiden' comes to town, has an epiphany that maybe he should start looking for a stable relationship, then at the very last minute rejects it and accepts his position as a Polynesian Playboy for palagi women. I didn't understand why they did this.

All in all, it was very disappointing. My whole family went to see it expecting to have a good laugh, but ended up being really bitter about paying to see it at the cinema. The jokes are lame at best, the acting, particularly of Sefa's girlfriend, APPALLING, and honestly I would've been happy if I had got my hands on one of those pirated copies of the film to save myself the $15 ticket price.

I think the only good thing to come from the movie is that it's the second step (behind No. 2, of course, a far superior film to this one) in the birth of Polynesian cinema. I hope Pacific filmmakers in the future can learn from Sione's Wedding in how to NOT reflect Polynesia and have something more meaningful and sensible to say. Even if it is done in a comedic fashion.

Funny Aye Bro!

Author: Jason Brown from Australia
8 July 2006

This is a very entertaining Film from start till finish. During the movie,OK it can be Abie predictable at times but you soon forget about those little gripes & just enjoy the journey these 4 very funny samoan boys go through just so they can go to Siones Wedding.

The challenge for them each is to get a girlfriend (first) then get them to go to the wedding or else they can't go at all. (Sione is one of the guys brothers). All the actors look like they are having fun with this simple story with tonnes of tongue-in-cheek humour. The White Boy trying to be a Samoan "thats what they do in the hood" is a laugh.

Watch the different dramas unfold for each of them, you won't be able to take that smile from your face.

I like these type of movies....

Four boys are banned from their bros wedding

Author: ericajane503 from New Zealand
26 April 2006

I highly enjoyed this film, even though some of the acting wasn't always fantastic.

This film will definitely appeal to Pacific Islanders, or people who know Islanders because the jokes are so true! Coming from a school where the colour of skin is mostly brown, I recognised all the jokes and nearly wet my pants laughing! The favourite for me had to Derek the white Samoan from Glenfeild, who reminded me of so many white try hard gangsters at my school.

Definitely go see this film, unless you are from Christchurch because then you won't understand it because there are no brown people down that way.

Duckrockers Fo' life!