The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) Poster

Not a bad film considering it was a Part 3
Andrew Limtiaco2 November 2006
Usually when a film has a Part III, it leaves you with, "Why did they make a third film?" Case in point, "Smokey & The Bandit". Now I am dating myself if that's the only film I can come up with when it comes to trilogies. But car movies are seldomly done in trilogies. Star Wars, The Godfather, Lord of the Rings and Back to the Future are the only exceptions that have worked in the past because there's an on-going story line.

Tokyo Drift was a good film. Good plot line (if you disagree, then you're a "Too much to think" film-goer, stay with chick-flicks then). Good action. And of course, cool cars. The fact that it strayed away from Part I & II was a good idea. And film director, Justin Lin did an great job getting his vision to film. The mounted camera on a super-fast go-cart gave some spectacular shots.

It's a good escape film with the "new kid in town, gets beat up or loses in some sort of competition, learns from a local to be better then wins in the end." But for a trilogy film it's excellent compared to other Part III films that have been released.
64 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly good - Sung Kang steals the show
accidentalist14 June 2006
I'm getting the feeling that the majority of reviews here as of June 14th are bogus. Why write a review if you've only seen the trailer for the film? Anyway, I had the opportunity to see this movie yesterday. Yeah, this is the one of those film series people will hate before seeing. It's over the top, has cheesy dialogue, and has an unlikeable protagonist. With that said, it's actually pretty entertaining, and isn't all that bad.

We are introduced to Sean Boswell (Lucas Black), a high school kid who can't seem to find his niche in life. He's moved from town to town with his divorced mother, and getting into problems with the law, before finding himself in Southern California. The California scenes pay homage to Justin Lin's earlier film, Better Luck Tomorrow, almost feeling like an extension of that film. We see the crowds of students in the courtyard, almost peripheral to a particular point in time. Moving to California doesn't change anything, and Sean, the outsider, finds himself racing Clay (Zachery Ty Bryan, from Home Improvement), a rich kid who has it all, including a brand new Dodge Viper.

In trouble with the law yet again, Sean finds himself moving to Japan, for reasons that aren't particularly clear. We don't know exactly why he *had* to move; however, it doesn't really matter anyway.

Sean continues to find himself as an outsider. From his distant father, to his language barrier, to being unfamiliar with traditional customs. Unlike other particular American films, the culture of Japan was portrayed in a positive light. This was particularly refreshing, as the food jokes, Engrish jokes, height jokes, etc. have become very tiresome over the years.

Sean meets Twinkie (Lil Bow Wow), and Han (Sung Kang), the latter of which appears to be the same character from Better Luck Tomorrow. Both Twinkie and Han serve as guides or mentors to Sean, as he becomes more familiar with Japan, school, drifting, and its associated group. In retrospect, Twinkie seems like an unnecessary character, and quickly gets shelved to Sung Kang's Han, who steals the show like a pimp.

Sean also meets, and is attracted to Neela (Nathalie Kelley), who is the girlfriend of DK (Brian Tee). DK is a nickname for "Drift King." Sean quickly realizes this as he loses badly to him in his first race in Japan (and smashing up Han's S15 badly). The altercation between Sean and DK heats up leading to the climax of the film.

Sean Boswell is an unlikeable character. His mannerism is interesting during the California scenes and you actually do get to like him, however he quickly outwears his welcome. From his unjustified temper, to his grating southern accent, Han becomes more of the likable protagonist.

The dialogue was cheesy as hell too (remember the "I'm free" line from the first one? This is worse - the moonlight drifting scene is embarrassingly bad).

Character development is too hurried at times, much like this review.

As with Kill Bill, Sonny Chiba is as charming as ever, this time playing a Yakuza boss, who happens to be the uncle of DK.

Now, the racing scenes were actually not that bad. Compared to the outlandish effects of the first two FF films, Tokyo Drift is pretty understated.

Racing-wise, this was a vendor-fest. 350Z's (VERY prominently displayed), RX-8's, and an EVO. Other than that, there was an R34 GT-R, S15, and the Veilside RX-7. That's really about it (with the obvious exception of the Mustang). I think I saw a glimpse of an AE86 hatch.

Will it make people drift in the parking lot leaving the theatre? Yes. In fact, I saw some guy in a Camry attempting to do so.

Will it spark interest in the vendor-sponsored cars? Probably.

Will it increase resale value of your S13 or AE86? Probably not.

Finally, there are two notable cameos in this film (among others). The first cameo has to do with "DK" (not the film character). The second cameo ties the film to its predecessor. Both appearances were pretty well done and drew laughter from the crowd.
77 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For the most part a good car action flick.
tmm_870528 June 2013
The first film was BREAK POINT with cars. The second one was Miami VICE with cars. This is REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE... with more cars. To be honest, I kinda liked this one better than the last two, despite Lucas Black somehow beating Paul Walker as the least charismatic actor in a starring role. What I mainly like is the direction by Justin Lin. The focus on police undercover stories is dropped in favor of the street racing culture and its connections to the mob. Was actually delighted to see Sonny Chiba appear, I must have missed his name during the opening credits. Purely as a movie about car action, I think it succeeds better than the first two. There's a goofy quality to it that kinda helps one go along with things. Best to sum that up is Lucas Black smiling like a dork with blood on his teeth, living for the thrill. That's probably what this film series needed, and less soap opera/undercover drama. Consider me surprised.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Fast and the Furious reborn in Tokyo
matt190075 May 2008
When I first heard about Tokyo Drift and realised that it would feature none of the original cast members, I was sure it would be a major let down that was just cashing in, so I ignored it. Eventually, I sat down to watch the movie when it arrived on Sky and I must say that I'm impressed. The film more than exceeded my low expectations and whilst it way a little bit routine in places, I had a great time watching it.

Not only is this film a damn good car/action film in it's own right, it is arguably the best in the series. The new cast is great with Lucas Black heading up the roster as Sean Boswell, an American street racer who moves to Japan and becomes embroiled in the underworld Tokyo street racing scene. Black proves to be better to watch than Paul Walker was in the previous movies in the franchise because he is a better actor (which isn't saying much but still...), whilst the other characters all have chemistry on screen too, creating an authentic Japanese street racing feel. The stand out character in the movie for me though was Sung Kang as Han, easily the coolest character in the film.

Justin Lin does a great job of capturing the art of drifting as well as keeping a good sense of speed and a focus on the character development. Whilst it's never going to win any Oscars, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is infinitely better than 2 Fast 2 Furious and is in some ways better than the original movie too. If Lin can continue this trend into the fourth film in 2009, I will be the first in line at the cinema to see Vin Diesel return to the franchise.

If like me, you were initially put off by the lack of ties to the first two movies, give Tokyo Drift a chance and you'll probably find you'll enjoy it. Car fans should have no problems liking the subject matter (Cars and beautiful girls) and whilst it doesn't make you think a whole lot, you really can't go wrong with the 3rd effort in the popular Fast and Furious franchise. Oh and by the way, the last scene is guaranteed to make fans of the series smile, the movie is worth watching just for that.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Refreshing and innovating
Paulo Dias29 October 2006
"The Fast And The Furious" series opened the cinema for a whole new way to make car movies. This 3rd movie from this series added the cherry on the top of a sweet cake. Lots of action during the whole movie and, I must say, a very good argument. Way better than the 2nd movie with some characters very well created and also their evolution through out the movie.

Although, sometimes, it seams that the story walks a bit too fast and things happen too early, this 3rd movie has one of the best arguments of the 3. And I'm still undecided if it is better or not than the 1st movie.

Some really good change in this 3rd movie was the feature of drifts instead of pure racing (shown so far in the previous series). THAT is the main innovation in this series as long as in cars movies. The creators of "The Fast and The Furious" were PROBABLY pioneers in making underground car movies and they were surely the first doing a movie about drifting.

I must say that Tokyo was indeed a very good place to film this kind of driving.

Just to finish, I just wanna say there's a great surprise at the end of the movie!!! ;)
35 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Much better than the others.
la-fashionista13 June 2006
Got a free screening pass to see it 6-12, saw it with some car buddies, the dork I am took notes.

This movie had more semblance of a plot than the rest of the franchise, the action stayed fresh and actually flowed with the plot, and the characters actually had motivation this time! There weren't any HUGE glaring inaccuracies (other than daddy throwing sonny the keys to a car with NO ENGINE in it...) The three cameos in the film were well placed, though a bit campy at the very end. The cars and action sequences were amazingly choreographed, one even leaving my whole theatre clapping for the protagonist.

I give 8/10 because of low expectations, and being totally blown away when it was much better than I expected.
180 out of 310 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Decent, Hardly any substance, But Sometime to watch :D
andykhiem871 August 2006
What can I say about this movie that many haven't already noted? Well first of all I saw this movie twice, and probably shouldn't have. The cinematography was phenomenal and the racing sequences were jaw dropping. Unfortunately, this movie lacks substance. The storyline was really iffy and probably not likely to happen and the acting was a little shaky.

But thats not the reason why everyone goes to watch this movie. We all go to see the cars and the girls which fortunately delivers. Beautiful cars, beautiful ladies and beautiful scenery and destructive driving is never in short supply in this genre and the scenery of Japan is just breathtaking. All in all, just a movie you'll want to see with the boys.
36 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable, much better than first two
bekimdine15 June 2006
I just came home from the drive in, i was looking forward to this movie since i have read some good reviews about it and also that I'm a car freak. A lot of people have been bashing this movie without even seeing it and bashing the idea of putting a RB26DETT Motor into a Mustang, i agree its not right, but it is just a movie and if you can get past that then you will enjoy it...anyone who loves the sound of a tuned skyline will love it. Keiichi Tsuchiya makes an appearance in this movie and so does Sonny Chiba, but i wont spoil the other cameo.

Justin Lin does a good job, the movie itself has great action scenes, awesome drifting and car choreography/stunts, the cars look and sound awesome, there are a couple of one liners that make me laugh ("Can i have a copy of that?") you will know what this means when you see it and the babes....the babes are just gorgeous. Overall its a fun and enjoyable movie, far better than the first two.

Car lovers will like the movie but for everyone else....don't bash it till you've seen it, you might be pleasantly surprised.
52 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Much better than the other 2
bopper-527 June 2006
Where do i start with this film? When i first heard this film wasn't going to have any of the original cast in it i felt rather disappointed but my opinion has totally changed after seeing it for the first time.The cast in it are great.Lucas plays his part well as does bow wow and the guy who plays Han. The things that stood out for me were the racing scenes mainly.There are a lot more than there were in the other 2 films and in my own opinion the races in this third are a lot better than any in the first two. The story isn't half bad either.I actually prefer this one to the 2nd film because of that as well as the racing. This is definitely a must see for all fans of the other two films though.
50 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'Furious' will have hearts racing
I_Like_Turtle_s15 June 2006
As expected, it doesn't take long for ''The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" to hit the gas.

As the film opens, we meet Sean (Lucas Black), the new kid at a Southern high school who's harboring a need for speed. After Sean ruffles the feathers of a resident jock (Zachery Ty Bryan), a scantily clad girl suggests, ''Why don't you boys let the cars do the talking?" And so the adrenaline rush begins.

''Lost in Translation" with a driver's license, the third installment of the popular franchise takes its car chases and souped-up engines to the Far East. Fans of Vin Diesel and Paul Walker will miss the tough-talking duo, but the mean streets of Japan deliver some action-packed goods.

Of course, don't expect more than a load of eye candy and the regular rumbles. The flashy drama begins when Sean is shipped to Tokyo to avoid jail time and live with his strict, military officer dad (Brian Goodman).

Making nice with the tough crowd, the American befriends Twinkie (Bow Wow), an army brat with a car that looks like it came straight out of ''Pimp My Ride." It isn't long before Sean is taking test drives with a new set of wheels, not to mention getting on the bad side of the mafia-affiliated DK (Brian Tee) and falling for his girl, Neela (Nathalie Kelley).

Directed by Justin Lin (''Better Luck Tomorrow"), ''The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" is injected with testosterone and saturated in masculinity. Branded a gaijin (Japanese for foreigner), Sean tries to master the driving skill of drifting while trying to impress his crush and settle the score with DK and his crew. What's the best way to solve the world's problems? Racing, of course.

Sure, it's not the wittiest, smartest or most memorable piece of cinema. But the film delivers everything it promised: loud music, loud cars and a whole lot of glitz.
43 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be....
Ryancoke2511 November 2006
Hey, this movie was actually pretty good!! I'm amazed!!.. I enjoyed the first F&F but it totally got super cheesy in the 2nd... and with all the local teenagers dressing up their $400 cars to be "Fast & Furious", frankly I was just sick of the whole thing...

So I saw that Tokyo Drift was coming out, and I laughed and said to the wife, "Jeez, They just don't know when to quit do they?" We got a kick out of it and I put it out of my mind.. A while passed and a few of my buddies were trying to get me to watch the movie with them, I declined and made fun of it, Until one rainy day when I was bored out of my mind and the only thing on PPV was guess what... So I ran down and got a bag of chips, which at the time I thought would be better than the movie, and started watching... Well I have to admit I was quite wrong about this one..

Very well done, they got rid of the police guy in this movie... (Thank God) The cinematography is awesome, a few parts of the movie you might think you're going over... HEY! This movie actually has a storyline! And for those of you Vin Diesel fans, he does make a cameo... Overall I think anyone who originally put down this movie and enjoys racing flicks should watch it...You wont be disappointed.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Nutshell Review: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
DICK STEEL28 July 2006
The Fast and the Furious franchise relies on the simpleness of 2 factors to attract an audience from boys to men - sexy cars and fast babelicious chicks, topped up with plenty of testosterone and adrenaline in overdrive. Racing cars of all makes, be they the European, American or Asian models, one thing's for sure, the stunt driving team deserves all the credit. The first movie made a huge star out of Vin Diesel, while the rest had relatively smaller shots at glory, from Paul Walker, who returned for the second, to babes like Eva Mendes, Michelle Rodriguez and Devon Aoki.

The third installment decided to insert refreshing elements, and set itself in the land of the rising sun. Presumably influenced by the driving technique called drifting, which made it to mainstream consciousness via the Japanese manga Initial D, it's just too bad that the Hong Kong movie by Andrew Lau and Alan Mak, adapted from the manga, got to it first, like almost a year ago. Perhaps if the latest shenanigans of racers from both sides of the Causeway were widely publicized, this film could even be made closer to home! (In case you're wondering, the Malaysian police had recently conducted a dragnet rounding up illegal racers on its North South Highway. Flashy cars with raunchy stakes - the winner gets to take home the loser's chick for a night's worth of lurve)

There will be no doubts, comparisons between the East's Initial D, and this one from the West. In my opinion, this one edged out Initial D. There are many aspects in which Tokyo Drift is superior, and naturally having a bigger budget means that the filmmakers can afford to put more cars on showcase, more cars involved in races, and more races in varied locations like a tight car park, on the streets of Tokyo, and as a homage too to the source, they couldn't miss the mountain range. Scenes were for both day and night, unlike Initial D's predominantly night scenes.

It's never about the acting, though Tokyo Drift will lose out in terms of having relative rookies helm the show throughout, unlike Initial D's stellar supporting cast of Chapman To, Anthony Wong, to established popular teeny-boppers like Edison Chen and Shawn Yue. But Tokyo Drift did have veterans like Sonny Chiba lend a hand, and the coup was the casting of Keiichi Tsuchiya, the original inspiration for the manga, in a cameo.

Taking over the lead role from Paul Walker and Vin Diesel is relative newcomer Lucas Black as Sean Boswell, a good for nothing troublemaker with the inborn need to speed. He comes from a broken home, and is the root cause of his and his mom's moving from city to city, because he cannot get out of trouble from the law. When the final straw broke the camel's back, he gets sent reluctantly to live with his father in Tokyo.

Thinking that the Asian city has nothing to offer, before you can say "drift", he finds himself drawn into the world of underground racing, with plenty of flashy cars, hot chicks and mean Yakuza-linked punks itching to challenge anyone to a race. As clichés rule over this movie, Sean falls for the Drift King's (Brian Tee) main squeeze Neela (Nathalie Kelly, thought she looked like a cross between Paula Abdul and Rosario Dawson), while unwittingly got brought under the wings of Han (Sung Kang), business partner of Drift King, who teaches him the true meaning and purpose of drifting (which is a no-brainer purpose of snagging hot chicks).

Anyway, to a gaijin, Sean is ignorance personified, from culture to racing, he takes these challenges head on, stupidly. And surprise! A movie like this offered some one-dimensional character development of troublemaker turned good, who learns the meaning of brotherhood, although fame did get into the way of course. But herein lies another strength against Initial D, the lead did not turn out to be "all powerful" - here he has to learn the basics of drifting in an incredible short period of time, and turn out well of course, at the expense of expensive tyres, and cars (always a pain to see them being wrecked).

Any racer worth his salt must pimp his ride or zhng his car, and this one offered no less. The star attraction in the franchise are the vehicles. From the Nissans to the Mustangs, it seemed that the Mitsubishi Evo will be a mainstay, and the hero always drives one. It's almost a no- brainer to film movies like these, having stunt drivers to do the actual stunt driving, then cut to actors looking as if they're driving, and insert multiple cuts of hands on steering, foot on pedal, looking mean, etc. Instead of just incessantly focusing on drifting, there are the standard zig-zagging car chases, and some usage of Nitro for that quick boost of horsepower, which the first two movies frequently used.

Given its ending by an uncredited cameo which will send fanboys of this franchise into highs, this movie still has potential to be relatively popular and the franchise can indeed continue. It wouldn't be far out if there's an announcement of The Fast and the Furious: North-South Highway, and yes, you heard it here first! So race away, and unabashedly indulge in this movie that makes no apologies for being fast and furious to the loud sounds of its contemporary soundtrack!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really good film.
Bruce7225 June 2013
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is the least popular of the Fast and Furious franchise but it's also the most underrated. While I thought the country accent was a little overblown and some of the cgi looked a little too obvious, the movie was really good. The plot is fresh and exciting, the acting is spot on, and the cars are great. That's honestly one of my only gripes with 2 Fast 2 Furious is that, while really entertaining, it got away from the car element quite a bit. This movie brought back the cool car factor that made the first film so special. Overall, while it wasn't as good as the first two, it was still a great movie in its own right and one that can stand alone without the others.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Cars do the talking.
Tan Meng Yoe23 June 2006
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Directed by Justin Lin Starring: Mitsubishi Evo 9, Nissan Silva, Ford Mustang, RX 7, Toyota Chaser, Lucas Black, Bow Wow, Nathalie Kelly, Sung Kang, Sonny Chiba

I think the Mitsubishi should get a best actor nomination for next year's Oscars.

Nice cars. Nice music. Nice bodies. Nice cityscape.

Brainless story. But that's what I watched it for, to have my brains parked outside the cinema and let the brainlessness drive me through a two hour entertainment.

The RX7 has more expression than all the actors.

C - Because it served its purpose in entertaining me with awesome drifts, over-sized exhaust pipes, and kick butt photography for a car racing film.
116 out of 235 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too much of a good thing.......
trax89 June 2006
When the first Fast and the Furious was released it was a amazing simply because it was among the first of its kind. Though the acting wasn't that great (and it wasn't expected to be) , on the whole it was still pretty good. The cars , the speed, the babes, graphics, special effects.. was all together sinfully delightful experience .... like eating a bar of pure chocolate..

Tokyo drift has all that and this one is also like eating chocolate... expect ...lots of it

Thats the problem with it, there is lots of everything... more cars , more babes , more special effects and the end result is just , in a single word, Sickening....

It seems that the whole movie was just a ploy to get in as many of the above has possible in as short a time as possible. In brief the plot is something like..

.. Why is he in Tokyo?......... Racing ... How does he meet people in Tokyo?.. Racing .... Who does he meet in Tokyo?.. Babes ..... Why does he get into trouble ?.... Racing and Babes ...... How does he get out of trouble?... Racing and Babes .......What does he do;) in the end?........Racing and Babes

WHAT is the moral of the story??? Racing gets you babes!!!!

If you want an absolutely mind- numbing experience go for this one else go rent the original one on DVD..
111 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Slow and The Stupid: Part III
LilyDaleLady30 July 2006
I enjoyed the first two films, which were better than average popcorn flicks, but this (almost) completely unrelated crapfest is a complete waste of your filmgoing dollars. It's ridiculous and it's boring.

The main character, Sean, is a 34 year old street racer who has apparently been held back in school....for seventeen years. He's the oldest high school student on Planet Earth. In fact, in a remarkable feat of human biology, he is about the same age as his mother and father! He also has the most improbable and unconvincing Southern US accent imaginable.

After smashing up some cars and destroying an entire housing development, he is sent to live in Japan with his Navy dad (who apparently fathered him at the age of about 9). For reasons never explained, his father is not allowed to live on the Naval base, but has to reside in a minuscule Japanese slum and Sean (yup, still in high school, despite middle age) doesn't go to the Navy base school, where instruction would be in English, but instead is enrolled at a private Japanese academy despite the fact that he knows not a single word of Japanese. Apparently no one, not even his teachers there, seem to think this will be a problem.

Naturally, the first girl he sees in class is the only Caucasian student in the entire school, if not the entire city, and so she becomes the (very boring) love interest. He also meets the only African American student. Obviously these two must be his best friend and girlfriend since they are the only non-Asians around.

Subsequently, he gets into "drift racing", something I never heard of before and I can see why. It's not very interesting to watch. Apparently it consists of taking a small import vehicle with front wheel drive, and while going fast through a sharp turn, allowing the car to fishtail. While this seems possible enough (for a skilled stunt driver on a closed track, per the credits), I do wonder if it is possible to do this continuously while driving, i.e., to essentially drive sideways almost the entire time. Seriously, I doubt this. It's also not especially fast, which makes it fairly dull to watch.

Also, the big "final race" occurs, and the hero's dad (amazingly) has the body of a classic 60s Mustang in his garage (a somewhat unlikely situation in Japan -- not just the car, but the idea that he has a entire garage for this purpose in one of the world's most expensive and crowded cities). So Sean and his friends take the engine out of one of the Japanese cars he has wrecked earlier in the film, and in a few hours they manage to install this into the 60s muscle car. HELLO? Is this possible? I admit I am not a mechanic or specialist, but it does not seem logical that you could retrofit a Japanese front wheel drive engine into a vintage 60s American rear wheel drive car....if it could be done AT ALL, it seems to me that it would take a long time and involve a lot of custom parts. That's not even considering that they drive on the opposite side of the road in Japan, or that a 60s era car would be much heavier than a current model Japanese car.

There are too many other absurdities to list, along with the inclusion of the Yakuza (Japanese mafia). I wish I could say that "Toyko Drift" was campy, or that you could have a good time just laughing at the many absurdities, but actually its fatal flaw is that it is extremely dull. The least you would expect from it, title- wise, is that there would be lots of exciting racing -- and there isn't -- and that the hero would probably have a hot, sexy Japanese girlfriend and sexy love scenes -- and there is absolutely nothing in this regard (as he's barely hooked up with the only Caucasian woman in his high school). The film is entirely devoid of sex appeal, you could show it to a convention of Mormons.

SPOILER ALERT Because it's so dumb and utterly lame, I am alerting anyone (who has seen the TV ads) that Vin Diesel does appear, in his role from the first film, for a few seconds at the very end. It's stupid and it's gratuitous, and it says something terribly sad about both this film, and Mr. Diesel's career (that he was able to be compelled to appear, even uncredited). This is a franchise with every ounce of the life juice sucked out.

Here is hoping that they never, ever consider making "Fast & Furious IV".
66 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A girl's point of view
allywhoops14 June 2006
I was fortunate enough to see an advance screening of the film last night. I'm not usually one to seek out action films but this one seemed different. First of all, the setting was intriguing. Secondly, trailer made it out to be a fun summer flick. And guess what? It delivers. I would strongly recommend this movie to be seen in a theater as opposed to DVD for one huge reason: the audience. I can't remember the last time I was in a movie theater laughing, cheering, and gasping with everyone else. That environment is what these movies are made for. I loved the first fifteen minutes of the film. From the creepy pep rally to the metal detectors, the film was able to slip a little social commentary. The first race in the construction site was not only amazing but a great comment on capitalism. Even if the rest of the film doesn't quite live up to the beginning it doesn't matter. The film flows effortlessly and what would have been contrived just feels real. I know these films get all the feminists all up in arms but hey, beautiful girls exist in this world and the way it's shot it never feels exploitive. Enough of the politics. Grab a few friends and try to watch it with a sellout crowd. You won't be disappointed.
57 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is far better than I expected - but I had low expectations. Enjoyable but not critically appealing
DaRick8921 June 2006
I was quite surprised by The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift. Of course, I expected it to be a pile of steaming garbage, particularly with the formula of increasingly dodgy sequels. So when I went to see it with some friends, I had obvious misgivings. These misgivings, or at least the worst ones, such as the movie being unbearable to even look at, were fortunately unfounded. I kept my eyes on the movie the whole time, mainly because of the souped cars, but the fact that I went through the movie without flinching (a lot, except at some of the bad dialogue that was prevalent), says quite a lot. Maybe my view of The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift is heightened by the fact that I cracked a few jokes during the movie.

Now down to business. Sean, a 'dude' who loves to race at high speeds for no apparent reason, is sent to Tokyo to live with his military dad and ends up being drawn to the racing circuit again, witnessing a new style of race called 'drift' (as seen in Need For Speed Underground, to those that don't know). Sounds stupid? Well, it is, the casual viewer can detect a plothole or two from even reading those two lines. To go on, except to state that Sean ends up making friends with a guy named Han, is pointless. I will admit that no-one looks for a good plot in a Fast and the Furious movie, but still, the less said, the better.

The dialogue, as I stated, can be funny - because of its stupidity. This is shown by one piece of dialogue where some guy asks Sean: "You know what DK stands for?" and Sean replies "Donkey Kong". At least its original, I guess.

The acting is OK - far from turgid, which I expected it to be in the first place. The guy who plays Han is surprisingly good, going through the movie without looking as if he was hired from a nearby sushi bar. Brian Tee as DK is a bit of a joke, he is more comedic than menacing. Lucas Black is OK as Sean, but his Southern accent makes his character more irritating to watch. The love interest does well as eye candy. That's about all that matters I guess.

The most important part of The Fast and the Furious is inarguably the racing sequences and their overall effectiveness. I will admit that the sequences themselves are well-filmed and eye catching, highlighting the cars, as they should. However, except in a few fleeting moments, they are not as enthralling as they should be and this is one of the most disappointing aspects of The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift. The final confrontation, for me, is pretty good to watch, but only arouses the senses once in a while.

Time didn't drag though, which is a clear sign that The Fast and Furious is indeed quite watchable, despite its other pre-eminent faults. I admit that I didn't really get bored during the film, which may lead to my rose-tinted view of it (compared to my original perception of what it would be like).

So let me summarise my thoughts: "Didn't expect much, got more than I bargained for." The acting is satisfactory (for a racing film, otherwise it would more or less suck), the plot and the dialogue are predictably terrible, the racing sequences are satisfactory and the cinematography is somewhat effective, with frequent close-ups of the cars. What compels me to give The Fast and The Furious a (relatively) favourable rating is the fact that it is, like I said, quite watchable. However, it is still little more than satisfactory, so it's rating cannot therefore rise above:

3/5 stars (If you don't like cars the rating is obviously much lower)
69 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worse than the worst movie ever
Bokonon16 June 2006
We just saw this movie in Kansas City and to say that it was a huge disappointment does not begin to tell how bad it was. The race sequences were okay, but there is absolutely no point to the dialog or plot. This movie is unbelievably demeaning to women, starting with the blonde babe at the beginning who offers herself as the prize to the winner of the race between the Lucas Black character and the ex-kid from Home Improvement, and continuing with the Janet Jackson look-a-like who has nothing to offer but coy smiles and short skirts (not that there's anything wrong with that). What's worse is the fact that Lucas Black is cast as a 17 year old, when he looks like he's already in his thirties, and the Yakuza uncle character who looks like he's doing a very weak imitation of Don Fanucci from Godfather II. We were hoping for a little summer entertainment, a la Transporter 2, but what we got instead was too little action and too much posing. Whoever wrote the screenplay for this piece of garbage should be blacklisted from Hollywood. In fact, to say that this was worse than the worst movie ever gives it too much credit. It is the worst movie imaginable.
49 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Need for speed underground (well almost)
themovieman300028 June 2006
Tokyo Drift is the last in the series of the Fast and the Furious outings and sees a man move from America to Tokyo to live with his father in a bid to avoid going to jail.

The film stars Lucas Black, to many an unknown who attempts to slip on the shoes of Paul Walker and finish these movies off. To his credit, he does a decent job in parts but his lack of experience is clear based on the high number of action scenes. All he really needs to do for the most part is give a few huffs and puffs to look like he's really driving those speed machines.

Unfortunately, the guy gets involved in racing, yet again and gets mixed up with the Japanese drifters. He is shown to attend school, but for a man of his age, i question why? and tries to keep his father happy in the process.

The tuned up cars emulated the Need for Speed Underground games which isn't really a bad thing because at least the story is supported by a decent plot and that's where 2 fast got it all wrong.

The backdrop of Tokyo seemed ideal and made for some great viewing at times.

All in all, a well-paced action movie but mostly comes good cause of half decent plot.

Lin did really all he could.
37 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Tokyo Drift" Charts A Change of Pace
zardoz-1317 February 2014
"Better Luck Tomorrow" director Justin Lin's "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" qualifies as a departure from the norm for a franchise. First, the action takes place in Asia instead of Los Angeles. Second, until the ending, we don't see anybody familiar. Although the hero is a misunderstood misfit, he isn't anything like the major characters in the previous films. Lucas Black plays a high school kid who is attracted to trouble, but he isn't a professional thief or a public servant. As Sean Boswell, he winds up in Tokyo and has to prove himself in an entirely different culture. Inevitably, our hero clashes with the nephew of a Yakuza boss played by the legendary martial arts superstar Sonny Chiba. Lin does a terrific job orchestrating some complicated action, especially the scenes where drivers drift. The drifting here, particularly during a town race, is breathtaking stuff. On the basis of its stunt driving, ""The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" ranks as a good movie. Of course, the Chris Morgan screenplay is shallow, but he fills the action with interesting characters. Lucas Black is terrific as the fish-out-of-water hero. Brian Tee makes a first-class villain as TK, while Sung Kang is appropriately laid-back and cool as a glacier. Superior stunts, adrenalin-laced races, and a sympathetic protagonist make this "Fast and Furious" installment a breath of fresh air.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
i dunno wt film u watched
spicinamillion26 June 2006
okay so most people are expecting another version of the original two. well its not, its a whole new kinda racin. so don't go in expecting to see straight roads. and yeah the film takes a while to get going, but its all info that u need to understand the film.

Tokyo drift, still has the cars the all the thrills that the other two had,but in a slightly different way. so don't set your mind on the ova 2, and spoil it 4 yourselves.

i say its worth while going to see it in the flicks cause u ain't gona get the entire impact of the film on ur own t.v i hav to say that the small surprise at the end is brill! but hey you'll hav to watch it!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Girls, fast cars, and MC Hammer
fallleeguys14 June 2006
Loved the film. Finally a summer movie that lives up to its worth. The first 15 minutes of the movie is the tightest i've ever seen. It just bowled over all the boring parts and keeps moving. The first race is the best I've ever seen. And just when I think that's it the second one tops it. The setting of Tokyo was a great choice and fresh. I didn't know MC Hammer owns that city. Sonny Chiba was cool but this Sung Kang guy is a stud. Can't wait to see him in other films. Oh yeah, the third chase gets even better and unlike other films, the last one actually lives up to its worth. Now I have a film to watch for the rest of the summer after I get disappointed by all the poser summer films out there.
37 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What?!??!?!
k j26 June 2006
Whoever voted for this so highly needs to be educated. The plot was absolutely horrible. How is a race going to settle the conflict? How did a busy Tokyo street completely clear up because he honked his horn. How did he learn to be the best at drifting in a few days when he was no where near a good racer as is. The whole crowd was outraged and laughing at the idiocy of the writers at this part, among many others. There was no depth to any of the characters. We barely saw any nice cars, although the drifting was nice. The whole movie was not tied together at all. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just leave it at this. Don't pay to see this movie. You will feel gipped.
32 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An abomination of all that is right in this world.
MotoXGT78926 June 2006
This is my first movie review. Prior to this, I had no intention nor any reason that would provoke me to respond to a movie by writing a review. I feel that if you are going to spend ten or twenty minutes of your life in front of a computer in order to deliver a message about a movie to random strangers, the movie has either impressed you and you want to extol the sheer brilliance that you have just witnessed, or the movie was so bad that you want to JUST WARN PEOPLE TO STAY AWAY FROM IT! In the case of The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, this is a HUGE WARNING. If you have a moment, take some time to read ahead and explore the crapfest that is The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.

Much, if not all, of this movie is crowded with higher tier actors (Vin Diesel at the end is the only exception... and to be honest... he's not even that great of an actor.. he's just good at his static, one dimensional character roles which require minimal talent). Lucas Black (you know..... that guy from Friday Night Lights...) hardly does any real acting. And of course, Bow Wow tops the list of amazing and talented actors that make up this movie (let's not forget other classic Bow Wow movies such as Johnson's Family Vacation...).

Clearly, the script was written by a seventh grader. I see no possible way that a living and breathing human being can come up with so much horrible, gut-wrenching, cheesy, mindless dialogue. Some of the lines are also completely irrelevant to the "storyline" of the movie. They make the characters try to sound deep, but instead they created the biggest over indulgent piece of crap ever known to man. Ten minutes into the movie, and you'll notice the problematic script. Yet the dialogue, sad to say, is not the least of its problems.

The storyline. Man, wow............................................................ ............................................................... where do I begin?

Sean Boswell is a seventeen year old student who loves to race cars. Challenging the rich kid, he completely destroys his car and is just a short step away from juvy. Instead, he gets sent to Tokyo to live with his father. So far, the plot makes sense. Here's where it goes wrong. Sean Boswell gets drawn to the racing world.... Then an hour of complete crap happens, he learns to drift, and he challenges the nephew of the local mob boss to a race, making it clear to his father that "he has to fix this" ----> yea.... I'm just as lost as you are, the dialogue doesn't help either. Then he wins the race (surprise surprise) and instantly becomes the new King of the racing world. Oh and guess what, he also wins the girl! no movie would be complete unless the guy wins the girl. Anyways, there really is no set plot here. A guy looking to stay out of trouble suddenly becomes the hottest thing in underground racing. Not to mention, the mob boss is a pansy. There really is no bad guy in this movie. You'd figure it would take more than a race for some seventeen year old kid to prove himself to THE MOB. Granted this goes down as a partial mob movie, it is probably the most inaccurate and stupid mob movie of all time.

Basically this movie comes down to good looking cars, fast paced action, and Asian cleavage. What the film lacks in consistency, dialogue, acting, and everything else that makes a movie great, it tries to make up for in tight Asian skirts and huge breasts.

What gives this movie any hope for a great review is the fast paced racing scenes. If there is anything Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift has done right, it's the racing scenes. I must admit, they were pretty entertaining to watch.

Yet that still does not make up for the poor acting, horrible script, and senseless/ridiculous plot that is The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Had the filmmakers polished up some of these areas, this film might have a fighting chance for a good review.

However, right now that is not the case. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a horrible abomination of everything that is right in this world. So far it has prompted a loser like me to sit here at one o'clock in the morning and issue this review/warning to avoid this movie at all costs. Period.
28 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this