IMDb > The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Page 1 of 38:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Much better than the others.

Author: la-fashionista from United States
13 June 2006

Got a free screening pass to see it 6-12, saw it with some car buddies, the dork I am took notes.

This movie had more semblance of a plot than the rest of the franchise, the action stayed fresh and actually flowed with the plot, and the characters actually had motivation this time! There weren't any HUGE glaring inaccuracies (other than daddy throwing sonny the keys to a car with NO ENGINE in it...) The three cameos in the film were well placed, though a bit campy at the very end. The cars and action sequences were amazingly choreographed, one even leaving my whole theatre clapping for the protagonist.

I give 8/10 because of low expectations, and being totally blown away when it was much better than I expected.

Surprisingly good - Sung Kang steals the show

Author: accidentalist from United States
14 June 2006

I'm getting the feeling that the majority of reviews here as of June 14th are bogus. Why write a review if you've only seen the trailer for the film? Anyway, I had the opportunity to see this movie yesterday. Yeah, this is the one of those film series people will hate before seeing. It's over the top, has cheesy dialogue, and has an unlikeable protagonist. With that said, it's actually pretty entertaining, and isn't all that bad.

We are introduced to Sean Boswell (Lucas Black), a high school kid who can't seem to find his niche in life. He's moved from town to town with his divorced mother, and getting into problems with the law, before finding himself in Southern California. The California scenes pay homage to Justin Lin's earlier film, Better Luck Tomorrow, almost feeling like an extension of that film. We see the crowds of students in the courtyard, almost peripheral to a particular point in time. Moving to California doesn't change anything, and Sean, the outsider, finds himself racing Clay (Zachery Ty Bryan, from Home Improvement), a rich kid who has it all, including a brand new Dodge Viper.

In trouble with the law yet again, Sean finds himself moving to Japan, for reasons that aren't particularly clear. We don't know exactly why he *had* to move; however, it doesn't really matter anyway.

Sean continues to find himself as an outsider. From his distant father, to his language barrier, to being unfamiliar with traditional customs. Unlike other particular American films, the culture of Japan was portrayed in a positive light. This was particularly refreshing, as the food jokes, Engrish jokes, height jokes, etc. have become very tiresome over the years.

Sean meets Twinkie (Lil Bow Wow), and Han (Sung Kang), the latter of which appears to be the same character from Better Luck Tomorrow. Both Twinkie and Han serve as guides or mentors to Sean, as he becomes more familiar with Japan, school, drifting, and its associated group. In retrospect, Twinkie seems like an unnecessary character, and quickly gets shelved to Sung Kang's Han, who steals the show like a pimp.

Sean also meets, and is attracted to Neela (Nathalie Kelley), who is the girlfriend of DK (Brian Tee). DK is a nickname for "Drift King." Sean quickly realizes this as he loses badly to him in his first race in Japan (and smashing up Han's S15 badly). The altercation between Sean and DK heats up leading to the climax of the film.

Sean Boswell is an unlikeable character. His mannerism is interesting during the California scenes and you actually do get to like him, however he quickly outwears his welcome. From his unjustified temper, to his grating southern accent, Han becomes more of the likable protagonist.

The dialogue was cheesy as hell too (remember the "I'm free" line from the first one? This is worse - the moonlight drifting scene is embarrassingly bad).

Character development is too hurried at times, much like this review.

As with Kill Bill, Sonny Chiba is as charming as ever, this time playing a Yakuza boss, who happens to be the uncle of DK.

Now, the racing scenes were actually not that bad. Compared to the outlandish effects of the first two FF films, Tokyo Drift is pretty understated.

Racing-wise, this was a vendor-fest. 350Z's (VERY prominently displayed), RX-8's, and an EVO. Other than that, there was an R34 GT-R, S15, and the Veilside RX-7. That's really about it (with the obvious exception of the Mustang). I think I saw a glimpse of an AE86 hatch.

Will it make people drift in the parking lot leaving the theatre? Yes. In fact, I saw some guy in a Camry attempting to do so.

Will it spark interest in the vendor-sponsored cars? Probably.

Will it increase resale value of your S13 or AE86? Probably not.

Finally, there are two notable cameos in this film (among others). The first cameo has to do with "DK" (not the film character). The second cameo ties the film to its predecessor. Both appearances were pretty well done and drew laughter from the crowd.

Not a bad film considering it was a Part 3

Author: Andrew Limtiaco from United States
2 November 2006

Usually when a film has a Part III, it leaves you with, "Why did they make a third film?" Case in point, "Smokey & The Bandit". Now I am dating myself if that's the only film I can come up with when it comes to trilogies. But car movies are seldomly done in trilogies. Star Wars, The Godfather, Lord of the Rings and Back to the Future are the only exceptions that have worked in the past because there's an on-going story line.

Tokyo Drift was a good film. Good plot line (if you disagree, then you're a "Too much to think" film-goer, stay with chick-flicks then). Good action. And of course, cool cars. The fact that it strayed away from Part I & II was a good idea. And film director, Justin Lin did an great job getting his vision to film. The mounted camera on a super-fast go-cart gave some spectacular shots.

It's a good escape film with the "new kid in town, gets beat up or loses in some sort of competition, learns from a local to be better then wins in the end." But for a trilogy film it's excellent compared to other Part III films that have been released.

Refreshing and innovating

Author: Paulo Dias from Sintra - Portugal
29 October 2006

"The Fast And The Furious" series opened the cinema for a whole new way to make car movies. This 3rd movie from this series added the cherry on the top of a sweet cake. Lots of action during the whole movie and, I must say, a very good argument. Way better than the 2nd movie with some characters very well created and also their evolution through out the movie.

Although, sometimes, it seams that the story walks a bit too fast and things happen too early, this 3rd movie has one of the best arguments of the 3. And I'm still undecided if it is better or not than the 1st movie.

Some really good change in this 3rd movie was the feature of drifts instead of pure racing (shown so far in the previous series). THAT is the main innovation in this series as long as in cars movies. The creators of "The Fast and The Furious" were PROBABLY pioneers in making underground car movies and they were surely the first doing a movie about drifting.

I must say that Tokyo was indeed a very good place to film this kind of driving.

Just to finish, I just wanna say there's a great surprise at the end of the movie!!! ;)

Enjoyable, much better than first two

Author: bekimdine from Melbourne, Australia
15 June 2006

I just came home from the drive in, i was looking forward to this movie since i have read some good reviews about it and also that I'm a car freak. A lot of people have been bashing this movie without even seeing it and bashing the idea of putting a RB26DETT Motor into a Mustang, i agree its not right, but it is just a movie and if you can get past that then you will enjoy it...anyone who loves the sound of a tuned skyline will love it. Keiichi Tsuchiya makes an appearance in this movie and so does Sonny Chiba, but i wont spoil the other cameo.

Justin Lin does a good job, the movie itself has great action scenes, awesome drifting and car choreography/stunts, the cars look and sound awesome, there are a couple of one liners that make me laugh ("Can i have a copy of that?") you will know what this means when you see it and the babes....the babes are just gorgeous. Overall its a fun and enjoyable movie, far better than the first two.

Car lovers will like the movie but for everyone else....don't bash it till you've seen it, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Decent, Hardly any substance, But Sometime to watch :D

Author: andykhiem87 from United States, Houston
1 August 2006

What can I say about this movie that many haven't already noted? Well first of all I saw this movie twice, and probably shouldn't have. The cinematography was phenomenal and the racing sequences were jaw dropping. Unfortunately, this movie lacks substance. The storyline was really iffy and probably not likely to happen and the acting was a little shaky.

But thats not the reason why everyone goes to watch this movie. We all go to see the cars and the girls which fortunately delivers. Beautiful cars, beautiful ladies and beautiful scenery and destructive driving is never in short supply in this genre and the scenery of Japan is just breathtaking. All in all, just a movie you'll want to see with the boys.

'Furious' will have hearts racing

Author: I_Like_Turtle_s from USA
15 June 2006

As expected, it doesn't take long for ''The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" to hit the gas.

As the film opens, we meet Sean (Lucas Black), the new kid at a Southern high school who's harboring a need for speed. After Sean ruffles the feathers of a resident jock (Zachery Ty Bryan), a scantily clad girl suggests, ''Why don't you boys let the cars do the talking?" And so the adrenaline rush begins.

''Lost in Translation" with a driver's license, the third installment of the popular franchise takes its car chases and souped-up engines to the Far East. Fans of Vin Diesel and Paul Walker will miss the tough-talking duo, but the mean streets of Japan deliver some action-packed goods.

Of course, don't expect more than a load of eye candy and the regular rumbles. The flashy drama begins when Sean is shipped to Tokyo to avoid jail time and live with his strict, military officer dad (Brian Goodman).

Making nice with the tough crowd, the American befriends Twinkie (Bow Wow), an army brat with a car that looks like it came straight out of ''Pimp My Ride." It isn't long before Sean is taking test drives with a new set of wheels, not to mention getting on the bad side of the mafia-affiliated DK (Brian Tee) and falling for his girl, Neela (Nathalie Kelley).

Directed by Justin Lin (''Better Luck Tomorrow"), ''The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" is injected with testosterone and saturated in masculinity. Branded a gaijin (Japanese for foreigner), Sean tries to master the driving skill of drifting while trying to impress his crush and settle the score with DK and his crew. What's the best way to solve the world's problems? Racing, of course.

Sure, it's not the wittiest, smartest or most memorable piece of cinema. But the film delivers everything it promised: loud music, loud cars and a whole lot of glitz.

Much better than the other 2

Author: bopper-5 from United Kingdom
27 June 2006

Where do i start with this film? When i first heard this film wasn't going to have any of the original cast in it i felt rather disappointed but my opinion has totally changed after seeing it for the first time.The cast in it are great.Lucas plays his part well as does bow wow and the guy who plays Han. The things that stood out for me were the racing scenes mainly.There are a lot more than there were in the other 2 films and in my own opinion the races in this third are a lot better than any in the first two. The story isn't half bad either.I actually prefer this one to the 2nd film because of that as well as the racing. This is definitely a must see for all fans of the other two films though.

Best movie! Please make a Sequel!

Author: Bryan Emm from United States
12 April 2015

This movie is amazing! Well what can I say, the Soundtrack, plot, cars! The cast! The Women! Everything! was beautiful and amazing. This is definitely my favorite racing/car movie of all time. I love how the city and culture is shown in the movie. I been to Tokyo Japan a couple times and the city was right on. Who doesn't love drifting? As a race fanatic I love how the drifting was done and explained. I guarantee by the end of movie it will leave you wanting to see a second one. Compared to the regular series, this movie is all about racing. Just like the first the Fast and the Furious. That's what I loved about this movie! This movie Is By far the best out of the series! It would be a blessing if they created a sequel! 10/10 it would be a big hit!

Tokyo Drift

Author: Terryfan from United States
3 April 2015

Now let me state I haven't seen it in a long time so I'm going by memory of how I felt about this film.

The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift is the third film in the series and unlike the first two films it doesn't have the original cast members which is a let down since it's normally wise to have the cast reprise their roles for the films.

But for the story for this film it just makes you understand why they went to a new cast.

The plot centers around an American Teenager Sean Boswell (Played by Lucas Black) who gets into trouble with the law after a street race with an high school kid so to avoid going to jail he is forced to move in with his father Major Boswell (Played by Brian Goodman) in Tokyo, Japan.

But old habits are not easy to bring as he begins to rival with Takashi (Played by Brain Tee) who serves as the film main Antagonist, the feud begins when Lucas begins to chase his girlfriend Neela (Played by Nathalie Kelley).

What most fans would be disappointed about the film is that the film features no of the original characters.

But the film plot is interesting but still feels kind of let down considering. Plus we first see Han in the series

The action scenes and taunts are good for the film despite it flaw acting but it just a hard film to not talk about.

The film is just hold back for many reasons but if you're a fan of the series give it a watch.

I give The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift an 7 out of 10