IMDb > The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Cars do the talking.

Author: Tan Meng Yoe from Malaysia
23 June 2006

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Directed by Justin Lin Starring: Mitsubishi Evo 9, Nissan Silva, Ford Mustang, RX 7, Toyota Chaser, Lucas Black, Bow Wow, Nathalie Kelly, Sung Kang, Sonny Chiba

I think the Mitsubishi should get a best actor nomination for next year's Oscars.

Nice cars. Nice music. Nice bodies. Nice cityscape.

Brainless story. But that's what I watched it for, to have my brains parked outside the cinema and let the brainlessness drive me through a two hour entertainment.

The RX7 has more expression than all the actors.

C - Because it served its purpose in entertaining me with awesome drifts, over-sized exhaust pipes, and kick butt photography for a car racing film.

Much better than the others.

Author: la-fashionista from United States
13 June 2006

Got a free screening pass to see it 6-12, saw it with some car buddies, the dork I am took notes.

This movie had more semblance of a plot than the rest of the franchise, the action stayed fresh and actually flowed with the plot, and the characters actually had motivation this time! There weren't any HUGE glaring inaccuracies (other than daddy throwing sonny the keys to a car with NO ENGINE in it...) The three cameos in the film were well placed, though a bit campy at the very end. The cars and action sequences were amazingly choreographed, one even leaving my whole theatre clapping for the protagonist.

I give 8/10 because of low expectations, and being totally blown away when it was much better than I expected.

Surprisingly good - Sung Kang steals the show

Author: accidentalist from United States
14 June 2006

I'm getting the feeling that the majority of reviews here as of June 14th are bogus. Why write a review if you've only seen the trailer for the film? Anyway, I had the opportunity to see this movie yesterday. Yeah, this is the one of those film series people will hate before seeing. It's over the top, has cheesy dialogue, and has an unlikeable protagonist. With that said, it's actually pretty entertaining, and isn't all that bad.

We are introduced to Sean Boswell (Lucas Black), a high school kid who can't seem to find his niche in life. He's moved from town to town with his divorced mother, and getting into problems with the law, before finding himself in Southern California. The California scenes pay homage to Justin Lin's earlier film, Better Luck Tomorrow, almost feeling like an extension of that film. We see the crowds of students in the courtyard, almost peripheral to a particular point in time. Moving to California doesn't change anything, and Sean, the outsider, finds himself racing Clay (Zachery Ty Bryan, from Home Improvement), a rich kid who has it all, including a brand new Dodge Viper.

In trouble with the law yet again, Sean finds himself moving to Japan, for reasons that aren't particularly clear. We don't know exactly why he *had* to move; however, it doesn't really matter anyway.

Sean continues to find himself as an outsider. From his distant father, to his language barrier, to being unfamiliar with traditional customs. Unlike other particular American films, the culture of Japan was portrayed in a positive light. This was particularly refreshing, as the food jokes, Engrish jokes, height jokes, etc. have become very tiresome over the years.

Sean meets Twinkie (Lil Bow Wow), and Han (Sung Kang), the latter of which appears to be the same character from Better Luck Tomorrow. Both Twinkie and Han serve as guides or mentors to Sean, as he becomes more familiar with Japan, school, drifting, and its associated group. In retrospect, Twinkie seems like an unnecessary character, and quickly gets shelved to Sung Kang's Han, who steals the show like a pimp.

Sean also meets, and is attracted to Neela (Nathalie Kelley), who is the girlfriend of DK (Brian Tee). DK is a nickname for "Drift King." Sean quickly realizes this as he loses badly to him in his first race in Japan (and smashing up Han's S15 badly). The altercation between Sean and DK heats up leading to the climax of the film.

Sean Boswell is an unlikeable character. His mannerism is interesting during the California scenes and you actually do get to like him, however he quickly outwears his welcome. From his unjustified temper, to his grating southern accent, Han becomes more of the likable protagonist.

The dialogue was cheesy as hell too (remember the "I'm free" line from the first one? This is worse - the moonlight drifting scene is embarrassingly bad).

Character development is too hurried at times, much like this review.

As with Kill Bill, Sonny Chiba is as charming as ever, this time playing a Yakuza boss, who happens to be the uncle of DK.

Now, the racing scenes were actually not that bad. Compared to the outlandish effects of the first two FF films, Tokyo Drift is pretty understated.

Racing-wise, this was a vendor-fest. 350Z's (VERY prominently displayed), RX-8's, and an EVO. Other than that, there was an R34 GT-R, S15, and the Veilside RX-7. That's really about it (with the obvious exception of the Mustang). I think I saw a glimpse of an AE86 hatch.

Will it make people drift in the parking lot leaving the theatre? Yes. In fact, I saw some guy in a Camry attempting to do so.

Will it spark interest in the vendor-sponsored cars? Probably.

Will it increase resale value of your S13 or AE86? Probably not.

Finally, there are two notable cameos in this film (among others). The first cameo has to do with "DK" (not the film character). The second cameo ties the film to its predecessor. Both appearances were pretty well done and drew laughter from the crowd.

Not a bad film considering it was a Part 3

Author: Andrew Limtiaco from United States
2 November 2006

Usually when a film has a Part III, it leaves you with, "Why did they make a third film?" Case in point, "Smokey & The Bandit". Now I am dating myself if that's the only film I can come up with when it comes to trilogies. But car movies are seldomly done in trilogies. Star Wars, The Godfather, Lord of the Rings and Back to the Future are the only exceptions that have worked in the past because there's an on-going story line.

Tokyo Drift was a good film. Good plot line (if you disagree, then you're a "Too much to think" film-goer, stay with chick-flicks then). Good action. And of course, cool cars. The fact that it strayed away from Part I & II was a good idea. And film director, Justin Lin did an great job getting his vision to film. The mounted camera on a super-fast go-cart gave some spectacular shots.

It's a good escape film with the "new kid in town, gets beat up or loses in some sort of competition, learns from a local to be better then wins in the end." But for a trilogy film it's excellent compared to other Part III films that have been released.

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is far better than I expected - but I had low expectations. Enjoyable but not critically appealing

Author: DaRick89 from Australia
21 June 2006

I was quite surprised by The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift. Of course, I expected it to be a pile of steaming garbage, particularly with the formula of increasingly dodgy sequels. So when I went to see it with some friends, I had obvious misgivings. These misgivings, or at least the worst ones, such as the movie being unbearable to even look at, were fortunately unfounded. I kept my eyes on the movie the whole time, mainly because of the souped cars, but the fact that I went through the movie without flinching (a lot, except at some of the bad dialogue that was prevalent), says quite a lot. Maybe my view of The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift is heightened by the fact that I cracked a few jokes during the movie.

Now down to business. Sean, a 'dude' who loves to race at high speeds for no apparent reason, is sent to Tokyo to live with his military dad and ends up being drawn to the racing circuit again, witnessing a new style of race called 'drift' (as seen in Need For Speed Underground, to those that don't know). Sounds stupid? Well, it is, the casual viewer can detect a plothole or two from even reading those two lines. To go on, except to state that Sean ends up making friends with a guy named Han, is pointless. I will admit that no-one looks for a good plot in a Fast and the Furious movie, but still, the less said, the better.

The dialogue, as I stated, can be funny - because of its stupidity. This is shown by one piece of dialogue where some guy asks Sean: "You know what DK stands for?" and Sean replies "Donkey Kong". At least its original, I guess.

The acting is OK - far from turgid, which I expected it to be in the first place. The guy who plays Han is surprisingly good, going through the movie without looking as if he was hired from a nearby sushi bar. Brian Tee as DK is a bit of a joke, he is more comedic than menacing. Lucas Black is OK as Sean, but his Southern accent makes his character more irritating to watch. The love interest does well as eye candy. That's about all that matters I guess.

The most important part of The Fast and the Furious is inarguably the racing sequences and their overall effectiveness. I will admit that the sequences themselves are well-filmed and eye catching, highlighting the cars, as they should. However, except in a few fleeting moments, they are not as enthralling as they should be and this is one of the most disappointing aspects of The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift. The final confrontation, for me, is pretty good to watch, but only arouses the senses once in a while.

Time didn't drag though, which is a clear sign that The Fast and Furious is indeed quite watchable, despite its other pre-eminent faults. I admit that I didn't really get bored during the film, which may lead to my rose-tinted view of it (compared to my original perception of what it would be like).

So let me summarise my thoughts: "Didn't expect much, got more than I bargained for." The acting is satisfactory (for a racing film, otherwise it would more or less suck), the plot and the dialogue are predictably terrible, the racing sequences are satisfactory and the cinematography is somewhat effective, with frequent close-ups of the cars. What compels me to give The Fast and The Furious a (relatively) favourable rating is the fact that it is, like I said, quite watchable. However, it is still little more than satisfactory, so it's rating cannot therefore rise above:

3/5 stars (If you don't like cars the rating is obviously much lower)

Refreshing and innovating

Author: Paulo Dias from Sintra - Portugal
29 October 2006

"The Fast And The Furious" series opened the cinema for a whole new way to make car movies. This 3rd movie from this series added the cherry on the top of a sweet cake. Lots of action during the whole movie and, I must say, a very good argument. Way better than the 2nd movie with some characters very well created and also their evolution through out the movie.

Although, sometimes, it seams that the story walks a bit too fast and things happen too early, this 3rd movie has one of the best arguments of the 3. And I'm still undecided if it is better or not than the 1st movie.

Some really good change in this 3rd movie was the feature of drifts instead of pure racing (shown so far in the previous series). THAT is the main innovation in this series as long as in cars movies. The creators of "The Fast and The Furious" were PROBABLY pioneers in making underground car movies and they were surely the first doing a movie about drifting.

I must say that Tokyo was indeed a very good place to film this kind of driving.

Just to finish, I just wanna say there's a great surprise at the end of the movie!!! ;)

Enjoyable, much better than first two

Author: bekimdine from Melbourne, Australia
15 June 2006

I just came home from the drive in, i was looking forward to this movie since i have read some good reviews about it and also that I'm a car freak. A lot of people have been bashing this movie without even seeing it and bashing the idea of putting a RB26DETT Motor into a Mustang, i agree its not right, but it is just a movie and if you can get past that then you will enjoy it...anyone who loves the sound of a tuned skyline will love it. Keiichi Tsuchiya makes an appearance in this movie and so does Sonny Chiba, but i wont spoil the other cameo.

Justin Lin does a good job, the movie itself has great action scenes, awesome drifting and car choreography/stunts, the cars look and sound awesome, there are a couple of one liners that make me laugh ("Can i have a copy of that?") you will know what this means when you see it and the babes....the babes are just gorgeous. Overall its a fun and enjoyable movie, far better than the first two.

Car lovers will like the movie but for everyone else....don't bash it till you've seen it, you might be pleasantly surprised.

An abomination of all that is right in this world.

Author: MotoXGT789 from United States
26 June 2006

This is my first movie review. Prior to this, I had no intention nor any reason that would provoke me to respond to a movie by writing a review. I feel that if you are going to spend ten or twenty minutes of your life in front of a computer in order to deliver a message about a movie to random strangers, the movie has either impressed you and you want to extol the sheer brilliance that you have just witnessed, or the movie was so bad that you want to JUST WARN PEOPLE TO STAY AWAY FROM IT! In the case of The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, this is a HUGE WARNING. If you have a moment, take some time to read ahead and explore the crapfest that is The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift.

Much, if not all, of this movie is crowded with higher tier actors (Vin Diesel at the end is the only exception... and to be honest... he's not even that great of an actor.. he's just good at his static, one dimensional character roles which require minimal talent). Lucas Black (you know..... that guy from Friday Night Lights...) hardly does any real acting. And of course, Bow Wow tops the list of amazing and talented actors that make up this movie (let's not forget other classic Bow Wow movies such as Johnson's Family Vacation...).

Clearly, the script was written by a seventh grader. I see no possible way that a living and breathing human being can come up with so much horrible, gut-wrenching, cheesy, mindless dialogue. Some of the lines are also completely irrelevant to the "storyline" of the movie. They make the characters try to sound deep, but instead they created the biggest over indulgent piece of crap ever known to man. Ten minutes into the movie, and you'll notice the problematic script. Yet the dialogue, sad to say, is not the least of its problems.

The storyline. Man, wow............................................................ ............................................................... where do I begin?

Sean Boswell is a seventeen year old student who loves to race cars. Challenging the rich kid, he completely destroys his car and is just a short step away from juvy. Instead, he gets sent to Tokyo to live with his father. So far, the plot makes sense. Here's where it goes wrong. Sean Boswell gets drawn to the racing world.... Then an hour of complete crap happens, he learns to drift, and he challenges the nephew of the local mob boss to a race, making it clear to his father that "he has to fix this" ----> yea.... I'm just as lost as you are, the dialogue doesn't help either. Then he wins the race (surprise surprise) and instantly becomes the new King of the racing world. Oh and guess what, he also wins the girl! no movie would be complete unless the guy wins the girl. Anyways, there really is no set plot here. A guy looking to stay out of trouble suddenly becomes the hottest thing in underground racing. Not to mention, the mob boss is a pansy. There really is no bad guy in this movie. You'd figure it would take more than a race for some seventeen year old kid to prove himself to THE MOB. Granted this goes down as a partial mob movie, it is probably the most inaccurate and stupid mob movie of all time.

Basically this movie comes down to good looking cars, fast paced action, and Asian cleavage. What the film lacks in consistency, dialogue, acting, and everything else that makes a movie great, it tries to make up for in tight Asian skirts and huge breasts.

What gives this movie any hope for a great review is the fast paced racing scenes. If there is anything Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift has done right, it's the racing scenes. I must admit, they were pretty entertaining to watch.

Yet that still does not make up for the poor acting, horrible script, and senseless/ridiculous plot that is The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Had the filmmakers polished up some of these areas, this film might have a fighting chance for a good review.

However, right now that is not the case. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a horrible abomination of everything that is right in this world. So far it has prompted a loser like me to sit here at one o'clock in the morning and issue this review/warning to avoid this movie at all costs. Period.

The Slow and The Stupid: Part III

Author: LilyDaleLady from Anywheresville, USA
30 July 2006

I enjoyed the first two films, which were better than average popcorn flicks, but this (almost) completely unrelated crapfest is a complete waste of your filmgoing dollars. It's ridiculous and it's boring.

The main character, Sean, is a 34 year old street racer who has apparently been held back in school....for seventeen years. He's the oldest high school student on Planet Earth. In fact, in a remarkable feat of human biology, he is about the same age as his mother and father! He also has the most improbable and unconvincing Southern US accent imaginable.

After smashing up some cars and destroying an entire housing development, he is sent to live in Japan with his Navy dad (who apparently fathered him at the age of about 9). For reasons never explained, his father is not allowed to live on the Naval base, but has to reside in a minuscule Japanese slum and Sean (yup, still in high school, despite middle age) doesn't go to the Navy base school, where instruction would be in English, but instead is enrolled at a private Japanese academy despite the fact that he knows not a single word of Japanese. Apparently no one, not even his teachers there, seem to think this will be a problem.

Naturally, the first girl he sees in class is the only Caucasian student in the entire school, if not the entire city, and so she becomes the (very boring) love interest. He also meets the only African American student. Obviously these two must be his best friend and girlfriend since they are the only non-Asians around.

Subsequently, he gets into "drift racing", something I never heard of before and I can see why. It's not very interesting to watch. Apparently it consists of taking a small import vehicle with front wheel drive, and while going fast through a sharp turn, allowing the car to fishtail. While this seems possible enough (for a skilled stunt driver on a closed track, per the credits), I do wonder if it is possible to do this continuously while driving, i.e., to essentially drive sideways almost the entire time. Seriously, I doubt this. It's also not especially fast, which makes it fairly dull to watch.

Also, the big "final race" occurs, and the hero's dad (amazingly) has the body of a classic 60s Mustang in his garage (a somewhat unlikely situation in Japan -- not just the car, but the idea that he has a entire garage for this purpose in one of the world's most expensive and crowded cities). So Sean and his friends take the engine out of one of the Japanese cars he has wrecked earlier in the film, and in a few hours they manage to install this into the 60s muscle car. HELLO? Is this possible? I admit I am not a mechanic or specialist, but it does not seem logical that you could retrofit a Japanese front wheel drive engine into a vintage 60s American rear wheel drive car....if it could be done AT ALL, it seems to me that it would take a long time and involve a lot of custom parts. That's not even considering that they drive on the opposite side of the road in Japan, or that a 60s era car would be much heavier than a current model Japanese car.

There are too many other absurdities to list, along with the inclusion of the Yakuza (Japanese mafia). I wish I could say that "Toyko Drift" was campy, or that you could have a good time just laughing at the many absurdities, but actually its fatal flaw is that it is extremely dull. The least you would expect from it, title- wise, is that there would be lots of exciting racing -- and there isn't -- and that the hero would probably have a hot, sexy Japanese girlfriend and sexy love scenes -- and there is absolutely nothing in this regard (as he's barely hooked up with the only Caucasian woman in his high school). The film is entirely devoid of sex appeal, you could show it to a convention of Mormons.

SPOILER ALERT Because it's so dumb and utterly lame, I am alerting anyone (who has seen the TV ads) that Vin Diesel does appear, in his role from the first film, for a few seconds at the very end. It's stupid and it's gratuitous, and it says something terribly sad about both this film, and Mr. Diesel's career (that he was able to be compelled to appear, even uncredited). This is a franchise with every ounce of the life juice sucked out.

Here is hoping that they never, ever consider making "Fast & Furious IV".

What?!??!?!

Author: k j from United States
26 June 2006

Whoever voted for this so highly needs to be educated. The plot was absolutely horrible. How is a race going to settle the conflict? How did a busy Tokyo street completely clear up because he honked his horn. How did he learn to be the best at drifting in a few days when he was no where near a good racer as is. The whole crowd was outraged and laughing at the idiocy of the writers at this part, among many others. There was no depth to any of the characters. We barely saw any nice cars, although the drifting was nice. The whole movie was not tied together at all. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just leave it at this. Don't pay to see this movie. You will feel gipped.

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]