IMDb > Two Tickets to Paradise (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great little film

Author: BroadswordCallinDannyBoy from Boston, MA
8 June 2006

3 men well into their adulthood and facing problems - ranging from an unfaithful wife to gambling debts - decide to take a road trip to the Superbowl after one of them unexpectedly wins tickets in a raffle. What results is a coming of age story with a certain twist.

Twist in that these men have already come of age - they are adults, working, tending the family, and all of life's problems. The coming of age comes in that they are men locked in their past, still reminiscing of the good old days when they were young and life was easy, fun, and there was little, if anything, to complain about. One was a star athlete, one a musician, one the class valedictorian. But then, somewhere down the line it just dissolved away and they are now working dead-end jobs, which they obviously don't like, and life is... bland. Completely unlike before.

Very well written, acted, and directed with a strong focus on the characters and often gut-bustingly funny the film presents one of life's most valuable, though not most obvious lessons: life will not live itself for you, you have to live your life.

Props to first time director D.B. Sweeney. 10/10

Not Rated as of yet, but has occasional profanity/crude dialog and some humorous drug use.

Dirt Nap

Author: Tammie Edgerly (tjredgerly@aol.com) from Germany
5 March 2006

Loved the movie. Got to view it for free over at my military base in Germany. I will see it again and have no problem paying to go see it next time around. The movie was funny, touching as well as relatable. I enjoyed the bond of the men in the movie. I felt connected to them. Each character had painful things going on in their lives, but the strength of friendship along with encouragement to do better and be better was especially nice to see. Too often we see others be encouraged to be hurtful and destructive. You didn't see it here. It was written well. The acting was fantastic. I felt like I was watching friends having a great time. Nothing looked forced.

The Cadillac of buddy films

Author: street-13 (street@savagestreet.com) from SF, CA
19 June 2006

I attended the Tremblant film festival in Canada recently. A film written, directed and starring D.B. Sweeney was premiering. Walking in to the theater I expected to just walk in and sit down, but who do I see? The man himself D.B. Sweeney in the flesh. I told him that I had come from SF to see his movie and he gave me a big handshake and a smile. He's a very approachable nice guy. He took the time to chat with me for a few minutes before the show. I won't give away any of the film, but I will say this. Poignant, insightful, funny, and my girlfriend cried at the end. The Cadillac of buddy films straight from the heart and soul of a great guy. Great title too. SUPPORT THIS FILM!

Screened w/ D.B. Sweeney!

Author: jim_cookman from Germany
2 March 2006

D.B. Sweeney is traveling overseas with the USO allowing service-members to screen Dirt Nap. I got the opportunity to watch the film with D.B. and about 30 others in Idar-Oberstein, Germany.

The movie was well written with some great one-liners (some are raunchy, but not gratuitous). A "late-in-life-coming-of-age" film that shows the that some friendships do endure; success in life requires more than minimal effort; and anything goes good with 42 beers. Funny yet poignant, the movie tugs at the heartstrings at times and knocks you in the funny bone at others. I found myself laughing out loud during quite a few scenes. D.B. validates himself as a writer/director/producer with this film. Do yourself a favor and go watch it (when it gets released, that is).

Nothing Special

Author: shimyyuh from United States
1 February 2008

This movie was an all around uninspiring film. It was a non-moving story that definitely does not get you thinking anything other then where is all the strong moving material the other critics say about the film The 3 main actors are good, and there is a few laughs but once again it becomes another movie that you keep watching in hopes of it getting better and it just doesn't. I watched this movie last night and wished that we hadn't wasted our precious time (while baby is sleeping) watching this film.

I plan not to recommend this to my family and friends, as well as obviously anyone looking to rent it. I was pretty much non-impressed with everything about this film.

Great start to a writing and directing career for D.B. Sweeney

Author: Moose from United States
23 October 2007

A great comedy with a lot of funny scenes delivered by some great actors...John C. McGinley, Ed Harris, D.B....Even a surprise cameo by Chris Chelios for NHL fans! Would have better for the movie if there had been some more money available for the special effects. A great sound track goes along with the movie with songs from Bruce Springsteen and Dire Straits to name a few. A studio needs to pick the movie up and distribute it so the rest of the world can witness the great script writing by Brian Currie and D.B. Sweeney. Can't wait to see what those two can do when they get some real money behind a project. Can you say "And the Oscar goes too..?"

lifelong friends rattrap to maturity

Author: susanmorton from United States
22 December 2007

Loved this movie! I felt like I knew these guys from my hometown. Great music: Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Dire Straits, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Emmy Lou Harris...amazing movie. As a woman (Mom of four...)I felt like a 'fly on the wall' in the car with these guys. You really feel like you're a witness to a critical moment in three real lives. With that said, it's also hilarious. Some really memorable one-liners. D.B. Sweeney is an under rated actor: movies like Fire in the Sky, Eight Men Out, Lonesome Dove and of course The Cutting Edge. This may be his best ever. Why doesn't Hollywood use this guy more?! I hope they release this one soon soon. Really funny and touching, too. I want to see it again!!

SEE this movie

Author: tugboat_a from United States
22 October 2007

I caught this movie over the weekend at the Ft Lauderdale International Film Festival. Well written and terrific acting! Story keeps moving and you never look at your watch thinking "man, is this over yet?" Laughed out loud at several points in the movie. Although it is a comedy, some parts were very "true to life" and hit on the not-so-pleasant aspects of growing up and being an adult. The synopsis makes this movie sound like a "guy" movie (road trips and beer - the male equivalent of "chick flick"), but it really is SO much more. I'm suggesting it to everyone I know - guys and girls alike! Everyone will be able to relate to something in this film.

Great Movie!!

Author: jabsten from United States
21 April 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I saw it at the Appalachian Film Festival. It is a fun ride with some very funny lines. The movie is enjoyable from beginning to the end. I hope someone picks this movie up and distributes it. I would see it again. The movie is very well written. We can all relate to the characters, we either have lived their lives or know people just like them. It is truly a movie that appeals to many different audiences. The filming was masterful and the soundtrack contains a lot of GREAT music. I applaud D.B. Sweeney for writing, directing, and starring in such an uplifting movie. I hope we see it on the big screens soon.

Two Tickets To Paradise - not what you think it will be

Author: Mmonroe672 from Birmingham, AL
8 December 2011

If you're looking for big budget Hollywood, this movie's not for you. If you're looking for angst ridden sad ending for the sake of sad ending - ditto.

However, if you want something that's fun, endearing, a little off kilter and ultimately redemptive - you've found he right movie.

I enjoyed the lack of formula and some strong emotional performances, inserted artfully in this potentially formulaic "on the road" genre. I enjoyed it because when you watched, it really wasn't formulaic at all, and Two Tix was surprisingly poignant delivering the (non- preachy but clear) messages on friendship, and manhood, marriage and family.

Kudos to DB, and though we didn't see a whole lot of her or like her a lot in this film, Moira still has it.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]