IMDb > The Devil You Know (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Devil You Know More at IMDbPro »

Lacks the thrill of the story and the sense of purpose of artistic merit

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
11 August 2013

"The Devil You Know" tells the tale of a daughter of a reclusive movie star trying to break into the business and of her mother trying to reestablish her celebrity reputation but then she is threatened by an anonymous blackmailer. Most people would assume that that would just be the beginning of the plot that the blackmail would lead to something eventful, or thrilling or suspenseful, or just something.

Instead that opening sentence took more than one hour of the total hour and twenty-two minutes runtime. Actually not even the complete sentence unless you take "blackmail" to literally mean receiving a black card in the mail. It took them the entire movie to establish that Zoe (Rosamund Pike) is struggling to get a job in the movie industry and is jealous of her mother's success. Her mother, Kathryn (Lena Olin) isn't liked by anybody.

There were some beautiful shots, for instance the opening sequence of Zoe trying to act in front of gorgeous water fountain. But then there were out-of-focus shots of people's legs, and it became clear they really didn't have any concrete, coherent ideas for this film. Just abstract thoughts of: Blackmail! Murder! Sexuality! Infidelity! Deceit! Without actually saying or doing anything.

There's a good reason why this movie didn't get a release after around 6 years of sitting on the shelf – there's too little to this story. There isn't even a story. But then Jennifer Lawrence became famous and somebody dug out this little known film with a little known somebody in a little role. If you watch for almost an hour, you might see a young Jennifer Lawrence. I say "might" see because the role lasts one second and you have to be awake with your eyes open.

There's an artistic sense to "The Devil You Know" even though there's nothing else to it. So I might recommend it to people who want a thriller without any of the action or suspense or intrigue that normally comes with it. I definitely don't recommend it to fans of Jennifer Lawrence (don't let the IMDb page fool you, she's not the star) or anybody looking for an interesting movie.

Dumbest movie ever

Author: chldofthe80s from Mid- West
30 November 2013

My friends and I chose this randomly from a list on pay per view. Mostly because Jennifer. Lawrence was listed in the credits. And that was Mis-leading - she was only in one flashback scene And did not have any lines. I wish that I get could my time back that I wasted watching this - and the $4.99 rental fee. Bad acting , bad editing,confusing storyline. The only good part in the entire movie is when it finally ended !

Why would Jennifer Lawrence even have ave her name attached to this is beyond me. Don't bother renting it - I would have rated it ZERO but 1 was the lowest score.

a good art film, but don't expect a fast movie film

Author: nik kostas from Greece
18 July 2013

the movie starts with piano and this is just the beginning of an excellent soundtrack. also in the first five minutes you can hear the birds singing and the sound of the water in a fountain.

it is difficult not to get a little bored but so seem to be the characters sometimes

beautiful rosamund pike plays Zoe hughes a not very capable actor in the shadow of her (international famous movie star until before 10 years when she stopped ) mother kathryn vale especially now that her mother is thinking to return with a new role just after publishing her book and 3 months after her new marriage with script writer jake.

the question from the start of the movie is if kathryn vale has been involved with the killing of her rich ex husband. the message you get when you see her new life with her younger husband is that she looks suspect but there are also other suspects around.

it's a movie for those that stare at the details of a dress ,at the tone of a voice...for those who prefer to see what the actor feels and not says

another interesting character is mother's assistant who helps her to schedule the needed appointments for interviews and much more. she looks like a bad person but first of all she only cares about the mother. she doesn't have to say hello or goodbye even to daughter.

close the lights in your room take a drink relax and watch this nice movie with lots of fashion costumes, that feels like a style fest with beautiful atmosphere ,sound and acting