The Cutting Edge: Going for the Gold
Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

It stands on its own merits

Author: Lu-21
24 February 2006

The movie is an updated retelling of The Cutting Edge. This time showcasing the daughter of Kate Mosley and Doug Dorsey named Jackie. Forget about the original as you sit down to watch this movie. This is a stand alone movie with its own storyline that does not keep the daughter in the shadow of her own parents. She makes her own success and failures. She is the perfect blend of her parents best and worst attitudes.

It shows the struggle entailed when you need to get back on your feet in a totally different world than what you are used to. It's always nice to have a companion when going down a new road. Specially when you are both new to that world (pair skating) and have to learn to become one. It also helps when Jackie's companion (Alex) turns out to be the best friend and enemy she can have as he mirrors her own strengths and weaknesses. Alex forces Jackie to realize that she can't do everything alone and yeah, it's okay to show your emotions. Without Alex, Jackie had all but forgotten that "It's not worth winning if you don't fight for it."

It is nice to see the characters as less rigid than their original counterparts. With the love story taking place both on and off the ice. It shows that athletes are human as well and enjoy the occasional time off to celebrate and just kick back and relax. With Jackie's parents being supportive all the way and allowing her room to make mistakes and correct them with their love, support and guidance.

The movie is a good companion piece to The Cutting Edge. It caters to a whole new generation of fans and is destined to become a classic on its own eventually. A+++ for good clean fun.

I liked it...

Author: sk147255
13 March 2006

I didn't find this movie all that bad, especially for one that didn't appear in theaters. I saw it on TV and for a "made-for-TV" movie I liked it. The acting wasn't awesome or anything but Christy Carlson Ramano and Ross Thomas made the roles believable. At the end of the movie I couldn't help but smiling, I thought it was an adorable and perfect ending. I thought the overall plot line was pretty good as well. I really bought right into the whole movie, but maybe that's because I'm some teenage girl who likes sappy love stories and figure skating. Anyways, overall I liked the movie and would recommend it, more for young teen girls who like this kind of genre.

Disappointment...is it really?

Author: Nikolay Baramov from Sofia, Bulgaria
20 February 2006

First of all, I must admit that "The Cutting Edge" is one of my most favorite movies ever. Therefore, my disappointment of "Going For The Gold" might be a result of too high expectations, but still... I'm not happy with what I just saw. Anyway, first things first.

Perhaps I should start with the performance of the two leading characters. Sadly, Joey Paul has done quite a terrible job with the casting. It was almost a nightmare to watch the uninspired and unconvincing Christy Romano, who played as if she didn't really understand the part. Yes, I do admit that Jackie is a somewhat complicated character but that's no excuse for not even trying to get the job done.

And if there's something more disappointing than Christy's performance that would be the pathetic acting of Ross Thomas. What were they thinking? That guy not only had no understanding of the character he was playing, but his acting skill is also quite questionable after such a poor performance.

Sounds bad, doesn't it? Well, here comes the good news. The script by Dan Berendsen is actually pretty good. There are lots of fresh ideas, directed nicely by Sean McNamara. He didn't really manage to catch the spirit of the big tournament, but this time the script's not all about the Olympics anyway.

The rest of the cast did what they could and really deserve admirations for their effort. Very likable performance by Scott Baker and maybe even Christine Lakin, although her part was too small to actually appreciate the actress' skill.

Well, looking at what I've written so far, I must admit that it sounds much worse than I thought it would. I did enjoy the movie, but I suppose I'm too much of a figure skating fan, so those movies come with some extra magic even if almost everything else goes wrong.

-- Blady

credits

Author: jnewlun from United States
17 March 2006

I thought the film was very good and it was great to observe the interaction with the skaters and the parents. It was similar to the first film; however had enough of it's own story to keep one's interest. I was wondering why Mrs. Dorsey is not listed in your credits. I felt that Stepfanie Kramer did an outstanding job as the mother and she even looks enough like Christy to convince the viewer they are related. I would hope that she could be added to your page along with her other performances on TV such as her role in Hunter and many other made for TV movies. The skating feats are amazing and the dancing is well choreographed. I would watch this film again and may consider purchasing it with the first sequel for my personal library.

A case of one sequel being too many

Author: scotthootman from United States
21 April 2006

I really wanted to like this movie. The original was so good. I saw this one on broadcast TV. It might have been TV editing that screwed it up but there are still too many flaws. It simply doesn't measure up to the original story. It lacks the spark and pizazz of the original. Contrary to what the previous critic said, if you are going to use the same title and the same character names in this sequel, you have to invite comparison. The movie just stumbled along right until the end. There was some very nice skating but even that was kind of pieced together. I felt that every time they changed angles they were simply cutting out another fall. (Sorry, just the way it looked to me). In the end I had to ask myself why I had wasted my time.

Uugghh!

Author: flapjack1001 from United States
5 March 2006

The featured comment that gives an "A+++ for good clean fun" to this film is written like a studio authored press blurb. I'm a little suspicious of the author as I just saw the DVD and I can say that this film competes with "Highlander II: The Quickening" as the worst sequel ever. I was a fan of Christy Romano until this movie. Mostly because she is hot, but also because she acts with so much energy. She had the acting breadth of a soap actress in this film. She projected three emotions; bemused, upset and completely blank, and used them over and over again, sometimes inappropriately. That would be fine for a half an hour TV show, but it was a snore here. It was like she took the Ren Stevens character from "Even Stevens", renamed her Jackie and threw her into this film. Ross Thomas did a good job of playing a "dude" character, but every non-skating scene between the two was dragged down by Ms. Romano's Jackie. As to the film itself, it played like an episode of "Baywatch" complete with montages of unrelated people and things used to transition to the next scene and pop songs in the background that drown out the actors dialog. It's "Baywatch" on ice. What a shame.

Similar to first one, but good for different reasons

Author: kentuckygal24 from United States
18 March 2006

I think this movie was good. There were some parts that I couldn't help but think were repeats of the first movie. Like when she says, "Toe-pick!" and the ending. In both movies, they don't get their feelings out until they're up for the medal-winning skate. Have you noticed that? Of course, in this one, Jackie tells her true feelings before then, but Alex waits until they're actually on the ice. Then, both movies end with them on the ice. So you're sitting there, staring at the TV saying, "Hello? Is that it?" But despite all this, the first one is one of my favorites, so I suppose it's alright for it to be repeated some in the second movie. :)

I agree that this movie definitely should not be compared to the first one. Mainly because if it is, you'll be disappointed. But standing alone, it is a wonderful movie. I warn you not to watch it with expectations, however. If you watch the movie with an open-mind and not comparing it to the first, you'll find that this movie can pleasantly surprise you. All-in-all, it's a charming movie.

Do not watch this movie if you treasure your sanity.

Author: kimmybim26 from United States
22 April 2006

I cannot express in words how awful this movie is. Maybe if you gouge your eyes out, graciously overlook the ridiculously bad writing and acting, and try not to compare it with the infinitely better original you might walk away only moderately traumatized. Personally, I feel like I need a shower after seeing it. This sequel has all the silliness of the The Cutting Edge with none of the charm (not to mention none of the original cast). If I could give it a negative rating I would gladly do so; it's an unnecessary film that is so bad it almost goes so far as to ruin the original. I would rather see Kate and Doug get hit by a zamboni than believe that their union spawned this 'Jackie' creature. Horrible. Props to D.B. Sweeney and Moira Kelly for skating away from a clear disaster.

This was a disappointment!

Author: iloveUGA123 from United States
23 December 2011

This movie was truly a disappointment. I absolutely loved the first one, and would definitely give it 10 stars! When I heard that there was a second one, I was really happy, and thought that I might enjoy it just as much as I enjoyed the first one. Well, I definitely did not!! Maybe if you just decided to watch this one and not the first one, you might like it, but to have watched the first one, and then this one, this should be a disappointment! First off they basically just copy lines and scenes from the first one, which makes it even worse, because the scenes aren't good in this movie. I have many other reasons, but to make it easier, it just wasn't good!! I mean I'm a girl who watches a lot of chick flicks, even bad ones and actually enjoy some of them! This one was horrible; so please, if your interested in this type of movie watch the first one, it is way better, funnier, and I promise you that you will enjoy it a lot more than you would enjoy this one!

It may not be a "gold medal" film, but it is still quite enjoyable

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
15 March 2008

Jackie Dorsey (Christy Carlson Romano) is the daughter of Olympic skaters Kate Mosley and Doug Dorsey (from the first Cutting Edge film). She has been a singles skater, and a fine one but, during a competition, she falls hard and breaks a leg. Her parents are very concerned but doctors say the leg will heal and Jackie is determined to skate again. However, the young, very lovely ice princess decides to become a pairs skater, thinking that she can rely on the support of a partner, should her leg give her trouble. While continuing the healing process on a California beach, Jackie meets Alex (Ross Thomas), a hotshot surfer and line skater. A romance begins but he doesn't know who she is and she doesn't know that he might already have a girlfriend. When these revelations come to light, Jackie heads back to Connecticut, in a huff. Nevertheless, Alex begins skating lessons in a quest to become Jackie's new partner. Amazingly, he is a natural and, although Jackie is very reluctant, at first, they become a winning duo. Yet, complications are still present, for Alex and Jackie run hot and cold, on and off the ice, and Alex's old girlfriend re-enters the picture right before the Olympics. How will this mixed-up twosome fare in the most important competition of their lives? This is a nice film for fans of the first movie and of romantic drama in general. In fact, it echoes the original flick on many occasion, from Jackie's prima donna attitude, like her mother, Kate's, to Alex's wandering eye for the female sex, just like Jackie's dad, Doug Dorsey. Then, too, if the two main actors, Romano and Thomas, are not quite on par with Moira Kelly and D.B. Sweeney, of the first film, they are attractive and talented in their own ways. Naturally, the scale of the movie is not as grand, either in costuming, sets, or production but it is certainly adequate. As for the skating scenes, they are very nice indeed. A number of real life skating stars, including Oksana Baiul, make cameos so, dear viewer, keep a watch out. There are, perhaps, some viewers who may object to the fast-and-loose morals of Alex, with good reason. Therefore, parents might want to watch and discuss the film with their children before a joint viewing. But, really, this is quite a nice movie for lovers of skating and/or romance. Although it may not be a "gold medal" flick, it is certainly able to happily entertain its target audience.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]