IMDb > Asterix at the Olympic Games (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Astérix aux jeux olympiques

Asterix at the Olympic Games More at IMDbPro »Astérix aux jeux olympiques (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Worst of the three

Author: laci-5 from Hungary
8 January 2008

The first one looked good but just could not get the humor right. The second one was quite good; close to the sense of humor of Gosciny (and Uderzo as well). So I was hoping for something good. Now the third one is kind of terrible. The visuals are okay (yes you see the CGI but it's not a problem in a funny movie based on comics) but almost everything else... The humor is worse than in the first one, the movie is just too long, the cameo-filled last ten minutes seem to be shot only for the end credits (they just don't make sense in the movie) but somebody must have thought they are funny enough for the movie - they are not. There are strange parts meant to be funny (e.g. the laser sword you could see in the advertisements - if they had to include a star wars joke again then why not make it at least a bit funny?), even the time between intended (forced and overplayed) gags is too long. Alain Delon is moderately funny as Caesar but his part is also overplayed, overly long. The new actor playing Asterix is a, as high as Obelix... b, never as funny/witty-looking as Christian Clavier. So what could go wrong did go wrong with this movie; maybe children will enjoy it but probably it will be too long for them as well.

Ne touchez plus Astérix, sales idiots! :@

Author: Mihnea the Pitbull from Romania
29 January 2008

Rarely I do feel so outraged, but this piece of mindless images-in-motion is positively a sacrilege. NOTHING remains of the bright and snappy Humor of Gosciny and Uderzo. The ONLY puns worth a half-smile are the meta-movie ones: Alain Delon mentioning guepards, samurais, Rocco's brothers and the Sicilians' clan, or Schumacher running in the race with a Ferrari battle-car - but even these are obsolete, old-fashioned and excessive. Further, the humor is admirable, sublime we can say, but totally amiss. ALL the gags are forced, painfully slow, grotesquely overdone. The script is an absolute mess - no convincing story-line, no dramatic structure, no sense of rhythm (all these being capital errors when doing a comedy; even more so, for such a difficult and ambitious comedy as Astérix: absurd, fantastic, cunningly warping history, childish in an intelligent way). All in all, as other comments rightly stated, this film-lenght is the worst of all three: definitely slow, much too long, outright boring and worse than amateurish - it's DILETTANTE! If you loved Astérix, avoid it - it will incense you. If you don't know the Gaul hero, avoid it harder - it will unfairly compromise him forever in your eyes. The ONLY Astérix remains the one in the toons and comic books.

An utter failure

Author: semumkadin from Belgium
28 January 2008

The first live action Astérix film was terrible, an atrocity of mammoth proportions. The second one was a marked improvement with Jamel Debbouze's comic timing and the exotic locale. It still paled in comparison to Albert Goscinny & René Uderzo's classic comic books, but an improvement nonetheless. Hopefully the upward trend would have carried on, right? No, it doesn't because Astérix at the Oympic games which the third in the series doesn't even measure up to the crappy standards of the first one.

The new Astérix actor is hopelessly out of touch with the comic book Astérix. Gérard Depardieu is on the button as usual, but it takes two hands to clap. The celebrity cameos are worthless and only make the whole thing more tedious. The humor is very childish and in-your-face rather than subtle. Even with the huge budget, the special effects don't live up to the hype. I just hope they stop making these substandard live-action films and stop ruining the legacy of Astérix.

Inexplicably terrible followup to Cleopatra

Author: j-connolly from France
18 February 2008

I was really looking forwards to this: Whereas "Asterix & Cesar" wasn't great, they seemed to have found their stride with "Asterix et Cleopater" only to inexplicably throw it all away with this heap of rubbish. Where shall I start: The cast.

Clovis Cornillac - catastrophic. There isn't a hint of the quick wittedness and light footedness you expect of Asterix. Instead of being the mainstay of the film, he's a sideshow: Unfunny, uncharismatic. Bring back Clavier!

Alain Delon? I nearly wept! He's an all time legend. Cool, hard, dangerous. And here? A creepy buffoon. His worst role. Ever.

That's enough. Now the plot: In Asterix & Cleopatre, the writers (and director) managed to update the Goscinny original comic spirit and clever references very successfully in my opinion. That is, without sacrificing the flow of the narrative, and without over-emphasizing modern references. That is, they didn't get in the way nor did they hobble the Goscinny narrative.

These clowns seem to have completely missed the plot. The unsubtle references stick out like a sore thumb, and the things referred to will all be forgotten in a few years.

But more fatally for the plot: they've glued together episodes from different Asterix books with elaborate pastiches to try and re-establish some sort of story logic.

Then, they have seriously warped the actual olympic games narrative flow. The plot they've come up with leaves you constantly thinking "What? How ... why is this happening now? Where is such-and-such gone?" and most importantly "hmm, was that joke supposed to be ... funny?".

All in all, truly catastrophic. The only saving grace is - I supposed toddlers might find it exciting.

Boring..

Author: hiotelis from Greece
20 February 2008

The movie has some very good parts, but unfortunately, it has more boring parts. It's big, and it made me wanna fall asleep a lot of times.. If they had cut all he stupid, with no reason, long parts, this would have been a great movie. I know that ASTERIX had always been a great comic. And it's a good reason to made me wanna see the movie. I expected something better for the movie, and so will you. The actors who play Astérix and Panroamix(druid) are different from the last two Astérix movies, and they are terrible. The don't feel like the original Astérix actors, but more like some random actors they picked up, and dressed in the right clothes. The humor is boring, because it's the same stupid "funny" thing all the time. It was pretty funny when Numérobis acted stupid at "Astérix & Obélix: Mission Cléopâtre", but at this movie it's not.

Really bad movie

Author: jeannie-longo from France
28 February 2008

I used to read the adventures of Asterix when I was younger, and I was always delighted. But, watching this movie made me think differently: has the little 'Gaullois' village given up? the movie seems only made to guarantee commercial success: many famous people (many of whom are known only in France, plus some guest stars), special effects, big marketing, etc... But, in the end, the jokes are not very good, the special effects are sometime ridiculous, the plot is far fetched and the frequent appearance of guest stars doesn't manage to fill this rather empty movie (in fact, it ended getting on my nerves).

I don't know if children will find this movie funny, but it's really difficult for anybody without 'laughing potion' to take real pleasure here. Too bad for Benoit Poolevoerde, who has done his best to save the Titanicus!

WTF???? Sorry for the following...

Author: petrosblackmike from Greece
3 April 2008

When I saw the first film i said to myself "Why should they mix elements from different stories to make a movie...? It's bloody Asterix, any comic-book could be a full 90 min. movie easily!". When i saw the second movie, I said to myself "Well Alain Chabat has a similar humor to Goscinny (OK OK + Uderzo..) and i laughed my a** off! The movie was solid, without blanks and even the new elements Chabat added were in the spirit of the comic". And now i see that... The total offense to Asterix's spirit, humor and script!! They messed up everything on that movie! I think there wasn't at all any editing or montage! I thought i was watching the raw mix!!! All the scenes were copy+pasted?? WTF?? WTF?? Why did they make that movie? No scenario, no humor (in only 2-3 scenes i smiled!) not even acting!!! NOT A MOVIE!!! Thnx for reading... sorry if you liked the movie! P.S.: I'm big fan of Asterix, have all books, read them many many times, so i thought i should post a comment on that non funny - offensive movie.

Not that bad

Author: JasonLeeSmith from Baltimore, MD
21 May 2010

I just watched the English translation of this movie, and I don't think it was as bad as people made it out to be.

Of the three live-action Asterix movies, none has really come close to capturing the charm of the comics (or even the animated features). "Mission Cleopatra" came closest, I think. The first movie was just miserable.

"Asterix at the Olympic Games" was a fun, if not perfect, attempt at capturing the magic of the books. My biggest complaint was that although its an Asterix and Obelix movie, it doesn't really seem to be about them. They don't even make an appearance until about 15 minutes in. It lends a certain degree of ridiculousness (and not in an amusing way) to the movie to have this enormous title screen that says "Astérix Aux Jeux Olympiques," and then have the entire opening act of the movie be about someone other than Asterix.

The CGI in the movie was also off-putting. Its used to make many of the more cartoony effects of the film, which is good, but it was really over-used in many scenes that didn't require them. Also, it wasn't really good CGI either.

The plot was nothing special, but it was amusing. It had some good jokes, and the characters were pretty fun. It was nothing like the comic ("Asterix at the Olympic Games") which it was based on, but I didn't expect it to be.

There were, apparently, tons of guest appearances by European (I think) athletes, none of whom I recognize -- being wholly ignorant on the topic of sports in this country or any other. I think these probably stuck in the throat of many people, who might have known who they were.

Anyway, I think they are starting to get the hang of how to make live-action Asterix movies, but I really do wish that the story had been more involved with Asterix, himself.

New adventure of the immortal Gauls plenty of computer generator special effects

Author: ma-cortes
25 May 2009

Gaul is entirely occupied by the Roman. Well not , entirely . One small village of indomitable Gauls holds out against the invaders. Life is not easy for the Roman legionaries who garrison the fortified camp. In the village are our friends, Asterix(Clovis Cornillac substituting to Christian Claver), he's a shrewd and cunning little warrior, his inseparable partner is Obelix(Gerard Depardieu, as always), he's ready to drop everything and go off on a new adventure with Asterix , Panoramix(a recently deceased Jean Pierre Cassel), the venerable village's druid who brews magic potions , his speciality is the potion which gives the drinker superhuman strength , without forgetting the chief Abraracourcix and the singer Bardo Cacofonix. Besides a young villager enamored a beautiful Greek princess named Irina(Vanessa Hessler). Then our heroes decide participate in the Olympic Games in Olympia. There they must confront against the Caesar's(Alain Delon substituting to Gottfried John and Alain Chabat) son named Brutus(Benoit Poelvoorde).

The picture captures outrageous adventures,tongue in check,anachronisms, feats and hilarious moments here and there. Packs sympathetic first appearance of Julius Caesar by Alain Delon doing a self-homage with musical background from the Clan of the Sicilians. Appear several secondaries Spaniards and French as Santiago Segura, Monica Cruz and Jean Pierre Castaldi,Janel Debouzze repeating his role of Numerobix and the wrestling champion Nathan Jones as Humungus. However this time doesn't appear the likable pirates and their sinking ships , being substituted by known football players in a silly ending with a balloon as plot. The motion picture is regularly directed by Frederic Forrestier though contains lively musical score and colorful cinematography by Thierry Argobast. This inferior third entry shot in live acting is preceded by ¨Asterix vs Caesar¨ directed by Claude Zidi and ¨Asterix and Cleopatra¨ by Alain Chabat and with Monica Belucci.

Gauls lose strengh in the third outing

Author: powerfull_jedi from Portugal
25 February 2008

I remember the first two movies, while made essentially for kids, they had good enough jokes adults could watch.

This new movie, however, seems to confirm the trend that often times, the third movie of the series ends up being more controversial in the sense that after two good movies(well an acceptable one and a pretty good one), fans are obviously expecting more, but it's precisely at the third time around something happens: the actors seem bored, the acting feels tired and stiff, the plot is nothing special and ultimately, the crowd notices that it is a bad movie. The same happened in Spider Man 3, Asterix follows that trends.

In this particular story, even the title is misleading, a lovesick gaul wants to be engaged to a Greek princess, but her father begs her to marry Cesar's son(OK, first off, major continuity error: in the second movie, Cesar was a somewhat young emperor and had just married Cleopatra, now he appears as old man and already has an adult son). Ultimately, she decides to wed the winner of the upcoming Olympic tournament, so the guy decides to recruit Asterix and Obelix to help him win the Olympics. OK, fair enough.

However, that's where things start crashing down... As the main characters, Asterix and Obelix end up for the most part being side characters to assist the main one and the vast majority of the famous Asterix characters are reduced to background filler, surprisingly the village singer gets about as much screen time as the main heroes, but even Asterix had few lines and does very little then do his whole routine which is beat up romans, though they don't do much of that here nor can they use most of their powers with the potion, since it's the Olympics they get themselves disqualified for using them(through doping tests done by blowing into weird-looking beetles).

So by removing those powers they end up doing very little, other then giving the villains the edge until they turn it around for them. Of course, you would expect Asterix to be filled with funny gags and lots of historical references, but here not only do the jokes feel stale, but most of the times it's a very hit and miss affair...

One obvious example would be the light saber gag, where one of the soldiers plays around with a light saber that just so happens to be in a shelf of an chemical lab and does an Obi wan-style pose. That gag, as well as countless others, seems so forced, predictable and repetitive(like Brutus's useless attempts to do away with his father that just ends up always the same way). The only remotely good jokes are very far and between...

Again, back to the performance of the actors, Asterix is barely there, the actor who plays Brutus becomes tiresome after a while and Gerard Depardieu continues to do his same routine of a huge dummy but there he just doesn't put as much heart in it as he used to, it's safe both of them, including the other main character disappear at the end of the movie. Everybody else doesn't stand out, not even a returning character from the second movie(I had hopes that he would be the saving grace at the end of this picture only to be lost with a host of pointless cameos that just make the ending go longer and longer for no reason).

In the end, this movie might only be acceptable for the most hardcore Asterix fans, but even they could be in for a huge disappointment. Honestly? Wait for the DVD, so you can rent it, because not even special effects save this from being an average at best comedy movie.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]