IMDb > "Dancing with the Stars" (2005/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not Exactly Reality Television

Author: ericpop27 from United States
18 June 2005

Some people would like to write this off as another trashy reality show, but it's definitely not. It's a classy, professional, dance competition. It's refreshing to watch a cultured show and because it's in the summer, younger audiences are tuning in. It's started a craze and it's it's boosted careers for the show's celebrities. It's a hot item on the Yahoo Search and Buzz Log, for a good reason. Don't miss the international phenomenon of...Dancing With The Stars.

Show is rigged

Author: tracerules from Texas
23 June 2015

So it has come out that AT&T accepts a certain amount of votes before none count anymore. The question is what is limit? Regardless of the voting counting issue. People who get 10's can lose to someone who has no dancing ability like Season 17 where Elizabeth Berkley who won two all 10's throughout the show's progression and lost to Bill Engvall, who has no dancing ability at all. I get them wanting to bring on people who are older for a larger audience but they need to invite people who can dance or at least have a shot. Bill Nye did way better to me than Bill Engvall that season and was booted so fast. This show is about POPULARITY NOT ABILITY. When you find out that the judges scores basically mean nothing compared to the people's votes then you see how sad this show is. I will say there are some seasons where the winner made sense but it is roll of the dice.

Season 20 DWTS

Author: B Ward from United States
17 March 2015

Why is it that Derrick is never paired with a person that has no dancing experience? Keto, who just started, is getting a "Bad" rap. He was voted off the first week last year, and it's not looking good this season. Is there any wonder why Maxx left? I hope someone speaks out on this issue. It almost seems as though the paring is "FIXED", but say it isn't so!!! I am hoping that Keto gets an opportunity to prove that all he needs is the right partner. Maybe Maxx needs to come on a show and speak up about the "Bad" rap that was given to him over and over. Is it that no one wants to challenge Derrick with a partner such as a "Non- dancer?

Just one person's opinion!!!

Correction

Author: shadowxp_92 from United Kingdom
27 March 2007

This is just correcting a mistake that was made:

' Not Exactly Reality Television, 18 June 2005 Author: ericpop27 from United States

DWTS originated out of England made it's way throughout Europe and down under, assuming different titles. BBC, responsible for the American version, entitled the British version 'Strictly Come Dancing' which spawned sequels 'Strictly Come Dancing : It Takes Too' and 'Strictly Ice Dancing'. Of course, there are the obligatory wannabe knock-offs (Fox's Idol-ized 'So You Think You Can Dance') but make no mistake, this show offers real entertainment value about an art form that's often overlooked and seen as outdated. '

Im not sure about the DWTS but the title 'Stictly Ice Dancing' was/is not a BBC program. The correct title is 'Dancing On Ice' and this is shown and made by the British channel ITV who have nothing to do with the BBC. I just wanted to point this out.

Really fun show!

Author: Bedivere17 from United States
24 March 2015

If you can get past the fact that most of the contestants are not really "Stars," and just enjoy the dancing and wonderful costumes and choreography, it's a great show. But I get really bummed with the phoniness of Carrie Ann Inaba, (are those instant tears real?), and the never-ending array of people I've never heard of. There is the same format every season; the usual aging actor or actress who can barely move, much less dance, and is usually the comic relief. There's the usual teenager, the usual African-American football star, the usual rock singer, the usual Olympic finalist, the usual handicapped person, the usual ex-military, the usual comic. And there's always at least one romance blossoming between a star and a trainer, and there's the usual sad stories to gain sympathy, and the usual cheesy shirtless male dancing just to win points by sex appeal rather than talent. Otherwise, the dancing itself is fun, the show is upbeat and positive, something that is rare these days on prime time. No killing, spy thrillers, nastiness, crime and torture that permeates all shows each evening. It's just happy entertainment, so I enjoy it!

Reality meets glitz in this dancer lover's dream show

Author: atlasmb from United States
26 November 2014

"Dancing with the Stars" is a reality competition show, but it is more enjoyable if viewed as a performance show with behind-the-scenes vignettes.

The voting is done by knowledgeable judges and by viewers of the show. Obviously, viewers will sometimes vote for their favorite celebrity or professional dancer regardless. To some extent, this is a popularity contest. We have seen viewers (appear) to vote based upon politics, religious preferences, the ages of celebrities, and for any other reason that someone might be a fan of a celebrity, e.g. sexiness.

But the show is very rewarding to watch, especially if you like dance in general. Even if you don't, this is similar to other self-improvement shows, like "The Biggest Loser", where the celebrities commit to a grueling schedule, rife with injuries, and try to master a wide range of dancing styles, most of which are precisely defined. You get to see bodies transformed, personalities bolstered, and obstacles overcome.

Almost all of the celebrities are nice people. The judges try to be encouraging, but honest. The professional dancers, who also choreograph the routines, are all successful ballroom dancers who never know what celebrity they might be matched with. It could be an Olympic athlete, a soap opera star, or a fashion designer.

Through the process, the celebrities and pros become very close. By the final show, there is a real feeling of family among the cast and the judges. Tom Bergeron adds just the right amount of cleverness in hosting the show, while often trying to defuse the most intense situations with his humor.

Two left feet...

Author: cyclone259 from USA
19 January 2010

I've only seen this show because my mother loves it and to appease her, I sat through enough to form an honest opinion (before anyone starts yelling, it's my opinion and may differ from yours).

To me, the only reason they have this low cost reality show on the air is because The Love Boat is no longer in production and C-list has-beens have nowhere else to get a rent check. It's also very formulaic, with the panel of judges ala American(s) Idle (I mean Idol) rating the performances. Of course they don't have the same acerbic retorts as Simon, but nonetheless it's just as much theatrical drudgery to get ratings.

Like someone else said "These are stars?" It's like watching reruns on Nick at Nite of your old t.v. favorites to recapture the images of faded celebrities, except now they're dancing in prime time.

Judges Influence

Author: tedious1 from United States
5 October 2006

It is happening again as it did last year where the judges give high praise and marks several who are less talented than others. Last year we had P-Diddy(might be wring name),Geaorge Hamilton, and Jerry Rice and other more talented dancers got bounced early. Now this year we have Jerry Springer who stands there and lets his partner do the work and he stays and Vivaca Fox gets booted. I hear the judges are shocked but they are responsible for telling the audience how good he's doing. And the dramatic showing of him going over and hugging his daughter was nothing more "on with the show". Emmet Smith who I like and is doing as good a job as Jerry Rice did last year still doesn't have the moves of some of the other stars. I realize that some of the stars have tremendous star support which makes is all the more critical that the judges do their jobs properly. If the star does a poor job than give them the 2, 3, and 4's they deserve. 2006 review

Rocky in Dancing Shoes

Author: Kim Bayne (mincedmedia) from United States
6 July 2005

The finale, broadcast 6 July 2005, proved that even the clumsiest soap opera star can win a ballroom dance competition. After coming in dead last in the series opener, underdog and diminutive actress Kelly Monaco walks, or better yet, dances away with the championship. With a combination of dogged determination and skimpy outfits, Kelly and her partner Alec Mazo narrowly edge out the favorite John O'Hurley.

Audience members may have wondered about the credentials of the distinguished panel of judges. Some found it difficult to keep a straight face knowing the lone female judge Carrie Ann Inaba counts her role as Fook Yu in Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) as a film credit. Perhaps the ballroom dancing scene didn't appear in the final cut.

Regardless, the competition was light-hearted fun, something to kill the time while we all wait for our favorite TV shows to come back in the fall.

DWTS Seems To Be Fixed

Author: (Busyjo811) from United States
20 May 2008

Kristy Yamaguchi was slated to win DWTS almost before it got underway. She's a well seasoned PROFESSIONAL! "Dancing" on ice is HARD. A dance floor is much easier to perform on, so of course she out-shined all of the other poor contestants. It doesn't really seem fair. The contestants should be fairly chosen based on a level playing field. It appears that this year's show was BIASED. I know plenty of viewers that won't watch next year! Read some blogs. You'll see how upset and how the audiences feel. Secondly, it is very disappointing that the results are revealed on the internet before we on the West Coast have even seen the show! I am not one to complain but this was not right.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]