IMDb > "Dancing with the Stars" (2005/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dancing with the Stars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dancing with the Stars" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not Exactly Reality Television

Author: ericpop27 from United States
18 June 2005

Some people would like to write this off as another trashy reality show, but it's definitely not. It's a classy, professional, dance competition. It's refreshing to watch a cultured show and because it's in the summer, younger audiences are tuning in. It's started a craze and it's it's boosted careers for the show's celebrities. It's a hot item on the Yahoo Search and Buzz Log, for a good reason. Don't miss the international phenomenon of...Dancing With The Stars.

One and two and three, Dance!

Author: Rosemary (zelda1964) from Long Island, New York
9 November 2010

Out of all the programs we see on television,I think "Dancing" has stood the test of time.Carrie Ann Inaba,Bruno Tunioli and Len Goodman are the judges who critique the moves and faults of 12 famed celebrities with their Professional dance partners.Each celebrity, goes through an intense training and workout to polish a specific routine.It is like "basic training" at dance school! I love this show,because the viewer realizes that we are all human and not perfect.Every person must work hard, at achieving a goal.Every week finds an elimination,where one pair is taken out by popular vote of the judges and by viewer response.

This show is so wonderful, and Goodman,Tunioli and Inaba help the celebrities realize there is so much fun on the dance floor.

Bravo to the cast for every amazing "transformation".

episode suggestion

Author: lovemice-40002 from United States
28 June 2015

Dancing with the Stars should do a season with old favorite movie couples like from Grease and Grease 2, Shields and Hamilton from The Blue Lagoon, Meg Ryan and Billy Crstal from When Harry met Sally etc. I have been watching the show since season 2 and I think it great. I miss some of the casts from when it started can you bring them back? I think instead of football can you bring some people from boxing, like Rhonda Rousey? I was also thinking maybe stars from the 70,'s 80's and 90's. It was also nice when you had picked 2 people that were not stars and paired them up with a professional and had them compete, I think a lot of people like myself who enjoy dancing would like to see that. I know the judges probably are getting tired and have other things to do but please don't change them if you can help it. I think it is one of the best shows on TV, the dancing is amazing and the hosts are great. Do you think you can do a tribute to Whitney Houston? Do you think Janet Jackson would come on?

Show is rigged

Author: tracerules from Texas
23 June 2015

So it has come out that AT&T accepts a certain amount of votes before none count anymore. The question is what is limit? Regardless of the voting counting issue. People who get 10's can lose to someone who has no dancing ability like Season 17 where Elizabeth Berkley who won two all 10's throughout the show's progression and lost to Bill Engvall, who has no dancing ability at all. I get them wanting to bring on people who are older for a larger audience but they need to invite people who can dance or at least have a shot. Bill Nye did way better to me than Bill Engvall that season and was booted so fast. This show is about POPULARITY NOT ABILITY. When you find out that the judges scores basically mean nothing compared to the people's votes then you see how sad this show is. I will say there are some seasons where the winner made sense but it is roll of the dice.

Really fun show!

Author: Bedivere17 from United States
24 March 2015

If you can get past the fact that most of the contestants are not really "Stars," and just enjoy the dancing and wonderful costumes and choreography, it's a great show. But I get really bummed with the phoniness of Carrie Ann Inaba, (are those instant tears real?), and the never-ending array of people I've never heard of. There is the same format every season; the usual aging actor or actress who can barely move, much less dance, and is usually the comic relief. There's the usual teenager, the usual African-American football star, the usual rock singer, the usual Olympic finalist, the usual handicapped person, the usual ex-military, the usual comic. And there's always at least one romance blossoming between a star and a trainer, and there's the usual sad stories to gain sympathy, and the usual cheesy shirtless male dancing just to win points by sex appeal rather than talent. Otherwise, the dancing itself is fun, the show is upbeat and positive, something that is rare these days on prime time. No killing, spy thrillers, nastiness, crime and torture that permeates all shows each evening. It's just happy entertainment, so I enjoy it!

Season 20 DWTS

Author: B Ward from United States
17 March 2015

Why is it that Derrick is never paired with a person that has no dancing experience? Keto, who just started, is getting a "Bad" rap. He was voted off the first week last year, and it's not looking good this season. Is there any wonder why Maxx left? I hope someone speaks out on this issue. It almost seems as though the paring is "FIXED", but say it isn't so!!! I am hoping that Keto gets an opportunity to prove that all he needs is the right partner. Maybe Maxx needs to come on a show and speak up about the "Bad" rap that was given to him over and over. Is it that no one wants to challenge Derrick with a partner such as a "Non- dancer?

Just one person's opinion!!!

Reality meets glitz in this dancer lover's dream show

Author: atlasmb from United States
26 November 2014

"Dancing with the Stars" is a reality competition show, but it is more enjoyable if viewed as a performance show with behind-the-scenes vignettes.

The voting is done by knowledgeable judges and by viewers of the show. Obviously, viewers will sometimes vote for their favorite celebrity or professional dancer regardless. To some extent, this is a popularity contest. We have seen viewers (appear) to vote based upon politics, religious preferences, the ages of celebrities, and for any other reason that someone might be a fan of a celebrity, e.g. sexiness.

But the show is very rewarding to watch, especially if you like dance in general. Even if you don't, this is similar to other self-improvement shows, like "The Biggest Loser", where the celebrities commit to a grueling schedule, rife with injuries, and try to master a wide range of dancing styles, most of which are precisely defined. You get to see bodies transformed, personalities bolstered, and obstacles overcome.

Almost all of the celebrities are nice people. The judges try to be encouraging, but honest. The professional dancers, who also choreograph the routines, are all successful ballroom dancers who never know what celebrity they might be matched with. It could be an Olympic athlete, a soap opera star, or a fashion designer.

Through the process, the celebrities and pros become very close. By the final show, there is a real feeling of family among the cast and the judges. Tom Bergeron adds just the right amount of cleverness in hosting the show, while often trying to defuse the most intense situations with his humor.

Love dancing with stars but ads are very inappropriate for kids

Author: ujju_27 from United States
6 November 2014

Me and my children have been watching this show for many years. Our entire family love the show. One of the very few shows to watch with kids. But why rate 5? My issue is with ads. Ads are so inappropriate to watch with kids. Example: ad of 'Mistresses' pops up in every break. It shows people cheating on each other, throwing each other towards wall, bed etc. For adults it may be good. But for children of 5 -12 years of age, as parents we thrive to keep their innocence as much as possible. Take care of them as little princesses. Teach and show good in this world. But why don't the directors for this show think that way? I really hope this TV show directors think sensitively and make this show viewable to all ages including ads.

Correction

Author: shadowxp_92 from United Kingdom
27 March 2007

This is just correcting a mistake that was made:

' Not Exactly Reality Television, 18 June 2005 Author: ericpop27 from United States

DWTS originated out of England made it's way throughout Europe and down under, assuming different titles. BBC, responsible for the American version, entitled the British version 'Strictly Come Dancing' which spawned sequels 'Strictly Come Dancing : It Takes Too' and 'Strictly Ice Dancing'. Of course, there are the obligatory wannabe knock-offs (Fox's Idol-ized 'So You Think You Can Dance') but make no mistake, this show offers real entertainment value about an art form that's often overlooked and seen as outdated. '

Im not sure about the DWTS but the title 'Stictly Ice Dancing' was/is not a BBC program. The correct title is 'Dancing On Ice' and this is shown and made by the British channel ITV who have nothing to do with the BBC. I just wanted to point this out.

Reflections on Dancing With the Stars

Author: sred_head from United States
3 October 2006

The show is intriguing mainly because of the obvious increased performance level of each star with each show. My confusion is why "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera was the music that Sara Evans was forced to dance to when doing a Pasa Doble. And why Viveca A. Fox had to display Latin passion to a Bon Jovi song, obviously from the rock genre, also to dance a Pasa Doble.

I was curious then to see that Mario Lopez, also dancing a Pasa Doble had the surprising good fortune to be able to dance this number with the appropriate music.

Is there someone out there who can answer my questions?

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]