IMDb > "Dancing with the Stars" (2005/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dancing with the Stars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dancing with the Stars" More at IMDbPro »

Not Exactly Reality Television

Author: ericpop27 from United States
18 June 2005

Some people would like to write this off as another trashy reality show, but it's definitely not. It's a classy, professional, dance competition. It's refreshing to watch a cultured show and because it's in the summer, younger audiences are tuning in. It's started a craze and it's it's boosted careers for the show's celebrities. It's a hot item on the Yahoo Search and Buzz Log, for a good reason. Don't miss the international phenomenon of...Dancing With The Stars.

One and two and three, Dance!

Author: Rosemary (zelda1964) from Long Island, New York
9 November 2010

Out of all the programs we see on television,I think "Dancing" has stood the test of time.Carrie Ann Inaba,Bruno Tunioli and Len Goodman are the judges who critique the moves and faults of 12 famed celebrities with their Professional dance partners.Each celebrity, goes through an intense training and workout to polish a specific routine.It is like "basic training" at dance school! I love this show,because the viewer realizes that we are all human and not perfect.Every person must work hard, at achieving a goal.Every week finds an elimination,where one pair is taken out by popular vote of the judges and by viewer response.

This show is so wonderful, and Goodman,Tunioli and Inaba help the celebrities realize there is so much fun on the dance floor.

Bravo to the cast for every amazing "transformation".

Reality meets glitz in this dancer lover's dream show

Author: atlasmb from United States
26 November 2014

"Dancing with the Stars" is a reality competition show, but it is more enjoyable if viewed as a performance show with behind-the-scenes vignettes.

The voting is done by knowledgeable judges and by viewers of the show. Obviously, viewers will sometimes vote for their favorite celebrity or professional dancer regardless. To some extent, this is a popularity contest. We have seen viewers (appear) to vote based upon politics, religious preferences, the ages of celebrities, and for any other reason that someone might be a fan of a celebrity, e.g. sexiness.

But the show is very rewarding to watch, especially if you like dance in general. Even if you don't, this is similar to other self-improvement shows, like "The Biggest Loser", where the celebrities commit to a grueling schedule, rife with injuries, and try to master a wide range of dancing styles, most of which are precisely defined. You get to see bodies transformed, personalities bolstered, and obstacles overcome.

Almost all of the celebrities are nice people. The judges try to be encouraging, but honest. The professional dancers, who also choreograph the routines, are all successful ballroom dancers who never know what celebrity they might be matched with. It could be an Olympic athlete, a soap opera star, or a fashion designer.

Through the process, the celebrities and pros become very close. By the final show, there is a real feeling of family among the cast and the judges. Tom Bergeron adds just the right amount of cleverness in hosting the show, while often trying to defuse the most intense situations with his humor.

Love dancing with stars but ads are very inappropriate for kids

Author: ujju_27 from United States
6 November 2014

Me and my children have been watching this show for many years. Our entire family love the show. One of the very few shows to watch with kids. But why rate 5? My issue is with ads. Ads are so inappropriate to watch with kids. Example: ad of 'Mistresses' pops up in every break. It shows people cheating on each other, throwing each other towards wall, bed etc. For adults it may be good. But for children of 5 -12 years of age, as parents we thrive to keep their innocence as much as possible. Take care of them as little princesses. Teach and show good in this world. But why don't the directors for this show think that way? I really hope this TV show directors think sensitively and make this show viewable to all ages including ads.

Judges Influence

Author: tedious1 from United States
5 October 2006

It is happening again as it did last year where the judges give high praise and marks several who are less talented than others. Last year we had P-Diddy(might be wring name),Geaorge Hamilton, and Jerry Rice and other more talented dancers got bounced early. Now this year we have Jerry Springer who stands there and lets his partner do the work and he stays and Vivaca Fox gets booted. I hear the judges are shocked but they are responsible for telling the audience how good he's doing. And the dramatic showing of him going over and hugging his daughter was nothing more "on with the show". Emmet Smith who I like and is doing as good a job as Jerry Rice did last year still doesn't have the moves of some of the other stars. I realize that some of the stars have tremendous star support which makes is all the more critical that the judges do their jobs properly. If the star does a poor job than give them the 2, 3, and 4's they deserve. 2006 review

DWTS Seems To Be Fixed

Author: (Busyjo811) from United States
20 May 2008

Kristy Yamaguchi was slated to win DWTS almost before it got underway. She's a well seasoned PROFESSIONAL! "Dancing" on ice is HARD. A dance floor is much easier to perform on, so of course she out-shined all of the other poor contestants. It doesn't really seem fair. The contestants should be fairly chosen based on a level playing field. It appears that this year's show was BIASED. I know plenty of viewers that won't watch next year! Read some blogs. You'll see how upset and how the audiences feel. Secondly, it is very disappointing that the results are revealed on the internet before we on the West Coast have even seen the show! I am not one to complain but this was not right.

Correction

Author: shadowxp_92 from United Kingdom
27 March 2007

This is just correcting a mistake that was made:

' Not Exactly Reality Television, 18 June 2005 Author: ericpop27 from United States

DWTS originated out of England made it's way throughout Europe and down under, assuming different titles. BBC, responsible for the American version, entitled the British version 'Strictly Come Dancing' which spawned sequels 'Strictly Come Dancing : It Takes Too' and 'Strictly Ice Dancing'. Of course, there are the obligatory wannabe knock-offs (Fox's Idol-ized 'So You Think You Can Dance') but make no mistake, this show offers real entertainment value about an art form that's often overlooked and seen as outdated. '

Im not sure about the DWTS but the title 'Stictly Ice Dancing' was/is not a BBC program. The correct title is 'Dancing On Ice' and this is shown and made by the British channel ITV who have nothing to do with the BBC. I just wanted to point this out.

Reflections on Dancing With the Stars

Author: sred_head from United States
3 October 2006

The show is intriguing mainly because of the obvious increased performance level of each star with each show. My confusion is why "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera was the music that Sara Evans was forced to dance to when doing a Pasa Doble. And why Viveca A. Fox had to display Latin passion to a Bon Jovi song, obviously from the rock genre, also to dance a Pasa Doble.

I was curious then to see that Mario Lopez, also dancing a Pasa Doble had the surprising good fortune to be able to dance this number with the appropriate music.

Is there someone out there who can answer my questions?

Two left feet...

Author: cyclone259 from USA
19 January 2010

I've only seen this show because my mother loves it and to appease her, I sat through enough to form an honest opinion (before anyone starts yelling, it's my opinion and may differ from yours).

To me, the only reason they have this low cost reality show on the air is because The Love Boat is no longer in production and C-list has-beens have nowhere else to get a rent check. It's also very formulaic, with the panel of judges ala American(s) Idle (I mean Idol) rating the performances. Of course they don't have the same acerbic retorts as Simon, but nonetheless it's just as much theatrical drudgery to get ratings.

Like someone else said "These are stars?" It's like watching reruns on Nick at Nite of your old t.v. favorites to recapture the images of faded celebrities, except now they're dancing in prime time.

November 13 2007 Show

Author: wurban805 from United States
14 November 2007

I was very disappointed in the results of this weeks show. I'm afraid the show is becoming nothing more than a popularity contest. To me the two contestants that should have been booted off are Marie or Jenny. They are both very good but do not come up to the excellence of Helio and Mel B. In my opinion I think Marie will win as she has the whole Morman church voting for her all over the country. This winning by popularity has to be changed. If they can't come up with a better way of voting than it should be left up to the judges on the show. When a guy like Cameron Mathieson who absolutely did not know how to dance at all and has become a great dancer gets booted off, before Jenny or Marie there is something rotten in Denmark as they say.