IMDb > "Dancing with the Stars" (2005/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dancing with the Stars"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dancing with the Stars" More at IMDbPro »

Not Exactly Reality Television

Author: ericpop27 from United States
18 June 2005

Some people would like to write this off as another trashy reality show, but it's definitely not. It's a classy, professional, dance competition. It's refreshing to watch a cultured show and because it's in the summer, younger audiences are tuning in. It's started a craze and it's it's boosted careers for the show's celebrities. It's a hot item on the Yahoo Search and Buzz Log, for a good reason. Don't miss the international phenomenon of...Dancing With The Stars.

One and two and three, Dance!

Author: Rosemary (zelda1964) from Long Island, New York
9 November 2010

Out of all the programs we see on television,I think "Dancing" has stood the test of time.Carrie Ann Inaba,Bruno Tunioli and Len Goodman are the judges who critique the moves and faults of 12 famed celebrities with their Professional dance partners.Each celebrity, goes through an intense training and workout to polish a specific routine.It is like "basic training" at dance school! I love this show,because the viewer realizes that we are all human and not perfect.Every person must work hard, at achieving a goal.Every week finds an elimination,where one pair is taken out by popular vote of the judges and by viewer response.

This show is so wonderful, and Goodman,Tunioli and Inaba help the celebrities realize there is so much fun on the dance floor.

Bravo to the cast for every amazing "transformation".

November 13 2007 Show

Author: wurban805 from United States
14 November 2007

I was very disappointed in the results of this weeks show. I'm afraid the show is becoming nothing more than a popularity contest. To me the two contestants that should have been booted off are Marie or Jenny. They are both very good but do not come up to the excellence of Helio and Mel B. In my opinion I think Marie will win as she has the whole Morman church voting for her all over the country. This winning by popularity has to be changed. If they can't come up with a better way of voting than it should be left up to the judges on the show. When a guy like Cameron Mathieson who absolutely did not know how to dance at all and has become a great dancer gets booted off, before Jenny or Marie there is something rotten in Denmark as they say.

Judges Influence

Author: tedious1 from United States
5 October 2006

It is happening again as it did last year where the judges give high praise and marks several who are less talented than others. Last year we had P-Diddy(might be wring name),Geaorge Hamilton, and Jerry Rice and other more talented dancers got bounced early. Now this year we have Jerry Springer who stands there and lets his partner do the work and he stays and Vivaca Fox gets booted. I hear the judges are shocked but they are responsible for telling the audience how good he's doing. And the dramatic showing of him going over and hugging his daughter was nothing more "on with the show". Emmet Smith who I like and is doing as good a job as Jerry Rice did last year still doesn't have the moves of some of the other stars. I realize that some of the stars have tremendous star support which makes is all the more critical that the judges do their jobs properly. If the star does a poor job than give them the 2, 3, and 4's they deserve. 2006 review

talent

Author: cbeck001
27 October 2010

How can someone as talented as Audrina be voted off? In my opinion how does someone like Bristol Palin still remain. She is not a good dancer. I am so disappointed with DWS that I am not going to watch this program any more. It is suppose to be about talent.............hello. I understand that the call in vote has a lot to do with it also, but come on. They should change the rules......people that are not that good seem to remain . I am not happy with dancing with the stars....maybe it is time for the program to move on. I think this last vote off is going to make a lot of watchers very very unhappy. I hope people will voice their feelings..............

Correction

Author: shadowxp_92 from United Kingdom
27 March 2007

This is just correcting a mistake that was made:

' Not Exactly Reality Television, 18 June 2005 Author: ericpop27 from United States

DWTS originated out of England made it's way throughout Europe and down under, assuming different titles. BBC, responsible for the American version, entitled the British version 'Strictly Come Dancing' which spawned sequels 'Strictly Come Dancing : It Takes Too' and 'Strictly Ice Dancing'. Of course, there are the obligatory wannabe knock-offs (Fox's Idol-ized 'So You Think You Can Dance') but make no mistake, this show offers real entertainment value about an art form that's often overlooked and seen as outdated. '

Im not sure about the DWTS but the title 'Stictly Ice Dancing' was/is not a BBC program. The correct title is 'Dancing On Ice' and this is shown and made by the British channel ITV who have nothing to do with the BBC. I just wanted to point this out.

Reflections on Dancing With the Stars

Author: sred_head from United States
3 October 2006

The show is intriguing mainly because of the obvious increased performance level of each star with each show. My confusion is why "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera was the music that Sara Evans was forced to dance to when doing a Pasa Doble. And why Viveca A. Fox had to display Latin passion to a Bon Jovi song, obviously from the rock genre, also to dance a Pasa Doble.

I was curious then to see that Mario Lopez, also dancing a Pasa Doble had the surprising good fortune to be able to dance this number with the appropriate music.

Is there someone out there who can answer my questions?

Cannot watch until Mr. P is voted off.

Author: jmott1750 from United States
26 January 2006

Mr. P has no talent and despite the shows scoring policy the fact that he still remains a contestant is outrageous. It goes without saying that he has a strong following and I imagine that following thinks they are entitled to vote numerous times for him. However, the intention of the voting is to find the most talented in the group. At least that is my understanding. While I enjoyed the first one or two shows, last week I found myself having a lot of difficulty with that fact that Mr. P was not voted off. I felt I needed to express that feeling to those responsible for the show in hopes that they will realize they need to be very careful when setting guidelines for these reality programs.

Two left feet...

Author: cyclone259 from USA
19 January 2010

I've only seen this show because my mother loves it and to appease her, I sat through enough to form an honest opinion (before anyone starts yelling, it's my opinion and may differ from yours).

To me, the only reason they have this low cost reality show on the air is because The Love Boat is no longer in production and C-list has-beens have nowhere else to get a rent check. It's also very formulaic, with the panel of judges ala American(s) Idle (I mean Idol) rating the performances. Of course they don't have the same acerbic retorts as Simon, but nonetheless it's just as much theatrical drudgery to get ratings.

Like someone else said "These are stars?" It's like watching reruns on Nick at Nite of your old t.v. favorites to recapture the images of faded celebrities, except now they're dancing in prime time.

Eye of the tiger baby!!!!

Author: NickSoapdish from United States
6 August 2005

Being a fan of Port Charles, I was absolutely thrilled when Kelly Monaco won this dance competition. Honestly from watching the first episode who ever would have thought she could win? But she kept improving week after week, and with all the rabid General Hospital and Port Charles fans voting for her (myself included), it's no wonder that she won the contest. Honestly this show was a lot of fun to watch; I never thought I would enjoy watching a ballroom dancing competition but this show obviously proved me wrong. It was a real hoot watching Evander Holyfield dance. (Like Jimmy Kimmel said, after Dancing with the Stars, that whole Mike Tyson ear-biting fiasco is the second most embarrassing thing that has happened to Holyfield). John O'Hurley was a wonderful dancer (He showed off his skills in an episode of Seinfeld once), and I admit,I was surprised that he did not win the contest.

I also liked the segments where they talked to the dancers before they danced. Kelly Monaco seems to be a friendly person with a good sense of humor, and she did a good job preventing that "wardrobe malfunction". (Although Tom Bergernon sure seemed to have an unhealthy obsession with her after that little incident.)Dancing with the Stars was a whole lot of fun to watch, it will be interesting to see who gets casted for season two.