IMDb > True Crime: New York City (2005) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

True Crime: New York City (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Don't listen to the negative reviews!!

Author: (Mission31) from United Kingdom
2 March 2006

people who don't like this game are total idiots!! This game is amazing! The graphics are a million times better than grand theft autos. You can extort clerks, you can plant evidence, you can frisk suspects,12+ bonus missions,you can shoot,you can drive , you can paddle, you can interrogate,you can go in nearly every building,search the trunk of a car,you can solve street crime,50+ story missions,buy guns, buy moves,2 5 part bonus missions(fight club and street racing),Buy cars or steal cars,buy clothes, change you hair style and much more!! People talk about glitches as if they happen all the time during play-its not true!!!!! I've had it happen to me 8/50 times of play. This game is the best police game, or for that matter, crime game you'll find on the market!!!!!!!!!!Also has a gripping story with a twist at the end.

Solid Game

Author: Mark Jackson from United States
10 January 2008

Let me start off by saying that this is the 1st ever mature rated game that I ever bought. For any parent looking to buy this game for a child, the violence isn't too bad, but the language is definitely in full force. Anyway, back to the review. The bad? The game is glitchy at times, even stopping when entering a building or in the middle of a mission. Also, the game is very short, and the language feels overdone in certain places. The good? However short, both endings are solid and resolve the game for the most part, and the characters are very realistic and likable, especially the game's protagonist, Marcus Reed. I could not justify $50 for this game when it came out, but now, it is a great buy for $10 at your local Gamestop. Overall, a solid game.

As bad as the other one was this one was not too bad..

Author: mikeybowers999 from Canada
21 October 2006

I gave this game a 9 because of it's really good arsenal. Your car can hold about a lot of guns at once. It was really good than the other one. One tip, don't kill a innocent person or you will loose your badge! That is a really bad thing to happen because you will lose all progress and will need to start the game over. The infestations are really good and realistic. Blood is bad but high in action. You start off as a criminal and have to fight you way out of some hideout. You get caught and become a cop.You have to fight off bad guys and take over the streets in a battle you could never think of! It is really good! 9/10.

Above average

Author: middle_earthfan454 from United States
11 July 2006

I have this game right now from rent and to be honest, I think it's slightly better than the first. Here is the games description (From my POV) True Crime: Streets of NYC is based on a cop named Marcus Reed who is an ex-gang member and takes up a job as a cop in the big apple. Your job is obvious, kick or shoot the crap out of perps, gang members and other law breaking creeps.

You also take on missions that can either influence or injure your good cop/bad cop meter (This indicates the good/bad deeds you commit during the game). For example if you shoot a guy in the leg marked blue, its good but if you shoot him in the head marked red, it's bad. This can get very annoying as you may accidentally run over civilians which adds bad cop points, running over other cops is worth much more, ever perps count.

Making matters worse, the artificial intelligence so much as forces pedestrians to jump the into your driving path and with narrow streets and terrible break controls, it's difficult to avoid running over people.

Unlike Streets of LA, you can't learn new fighting moves but entire techniques such as karate and tai quan do (you start the game with brawling). You can also learn sword and bo staff skills but these are not all that necessary as you start the game with a knight stick which works just as well.

The map is Enormous! It's practically the entire city taken from real life and put into a game but not with particularly large buildings and historical monuments. You can enter some buildings but nothing too fancy, only night clubs, restaurants, laundromats, pawn shops and gun stores which all look the same.

You can make money from arresting perps or collecting evidence from crime scenes. Eventually you'll have bought everything you need in the game but all the money you'll be making will no longer be needed.

There is an unnecessarily large array of guns available, you can get them from gun shops or from perps. Some weapons deal the same amount of damage and hold just as many bullets so there is no actual point to buy a different gun with the same stats.

The glitches are easily noticed, the game freezes and skips certain stuff, I have myself stuck in a predicament in which the missions won't come up and all the objective screen says is solve city crime...I'VE CLEANED THE WHOLE DAMN CITY!!! All in all, Streets of New York is a good game, it has some cons that are pathetic or frustrating but the shootouts, endless crime chasing and money making parts may count as a bright side. I find it as a good game, just not the best or amongst the best.

For people who like cop and cars

Author: roboh-2 from United States
12 February 2007

True Crime New York

If you like cops and cars this is the game for you!!! First A look at the worse of the game.....Yes it has a lot of bugs, and yes the story is not top of the line.....However, the game it's self is full of action and their are choices of different things to do. At any time you can veer off the normal missions and solve street crimes, their are also a few side missions to complete as well. People will argue that it's a rip off of GTA. It's just a good cop sequel to the True Crime Streets of LA. Overall I give it A 8. If not for the bugs I would have given it a 10.

True Crime NYC IS better than True crime streets of LA

Author: life-goes-on94 from United Kingdom
29 March 2007

True Crime NYC is the next in the True crime series after streets of LA. IT is a very good game in my opinion with fair graphics, OK gameplay and a fairly good story. Although the music in my opinion isn't very good as it is mainly all rap, and you are sometimes shot through walls it is still a good game. It is also longer than Streets of LA as in that game you could pretty much just skip every mission and have it done within 2 days. The shooting is also better in streets of NY. However, the game does have some 'bugs' in it, for example one time i got trapped underneath some stairs and could not move so i had to restart the console, i was meant to be going up the stairs. also sometimes the game jumps and everything starts flashing all the things i just mentioned as well have nothing to do with how clean the disk is.

This isn't bad. Its just got some flaws.

Author: twisted_priest1 from Canada
18 February 2006

Alright so your Marcus Reed a cop. Its basically like GTA San Andreas. But your in New York and your obviously a cop. But then you can change your clothes and hair style and get so many more cars than in Streets of LA. In this sequel you can ride taxis across town, subways and then you have a selection of codes (not recommended) to use. There's just one flaw. It has major screw ups on it like the screen turns kinda white. The game freezes up on you sometimes. And then sometimes it won't let you into some buildings. But there's many more missions to do like street clean ups, brawling clubs and street races. The selection of music is good too from everything like rock n roll, metal/punk, rap, club music and many many more, with hits like Knockin on heavens door, Beat on the Brat and Don't fear the reaper.

Overall I'd give this game 8/10

GTA III, Goes WAY down

Author: samy-11 from Hungary
5 June 2006

This game is one of the best games I have played, another person who wrote a review felt the same as me. The story is fantastic, the city and people have some of the best graphics of all time. I would recommend this to anyone except the queasy because this game is extremely violent. I can't say I didn't enjoy myself when playing this game, the only reason I chose to give this game a 9 is because of the bugs...That's where the game goes downhill. To anyone who has or is going to buy this game: If you have a lot of games and keep them on your PS2 it puts a lot of pressure and weight onto it causing the game to freeze more often. The bugs are the only thing that really angers me. If I could find the head of Luxoflux or Activion, I would say the game rocked! But the technical problems are really annoying. I would also say, You should make a game called TRUE CRIME: Miami. It would be so nice if they would create a True Crime game set there. I hope this helps viewers. The ending is great, there are two by the way, Good and Bad, both are awesome. I beat the game 100%, got a secret Puma outfit and the secret level, but I'll leave you to find out what the level is... I hope this helped and my advice is THIS GAME ROCKED!!! Don't listen to the negative reviews. Trust me.

Freaking awesome

Author: tigerstar154 from United States
18 January 2012

True Crime New York City:

If you have always loved gangster films that took place in NY, then you will love this game. It's fun, it's dark and really addicting. Though it it may have influences from GTA, it is a big improvement from Streets of LA. (Not that it was bad in the first place)

The story line: Marcus is a reformed gangster turned cop who avenges the death of his mentor by looking for the mole.

The Pluses: There are many which include, great voice casting, acting, graphics and the use and variety of weapons. Open environment of NYC!!

The Minuses: Despite all the good stuff, there are negative things. Glitches, you will encounter them no matter what!! The voicing is off somewhat and the cars are somewhat hard to drive without crashing.

Overall, True Crime:NYC is the most underrated game ever, Play it now!!!

Absolutely RIDDLED with glitches

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
21 January 2010

I enjoyed True Crime: Streets of LA despite the fact that it was clearly just a poor man's GTA. Having just owning a Gamecube at the time it was the closest I could get to playing a GTA game on that system. TC: NYC had been on my wishlist for years but Gamecube games are increasingly hard to find so I never managed to track one down until recently.

Now that I own a PS3 and very familiar with GTA IV, playing TC: NYC is a HUGE step down in quality. The graphics and gameplay are already very dated. TC: NYC came out at the tail end of the Gamecube's lifespan and for those of you who are spoiled by the slick nature of current generation consoles playing the game will be very difficult, glitches or not. Comparison's to GTA IV might seem unfair, but are inevitable since both take place in a nearly identical environment.

The plot to TC: NYC is right out of a typical 80s Golan-Globus trash movie. It's pure garbage, but entertaining garbage, and thankfully features none of the supernatural nonsense from the previous game. You'll be surprised how quickly it's over. There are plenty of side-missions but you'll get bored of them after a while since they repeat again and again.

Now to the glitches. Oh where to begin? It's a good idea to save your game every time you make significant progress since it has the tendency to completely freeze-up, requiring you to reboot your system. Sometimes you'll be unable to enter buildings, leaving missions unfinishable. There is also an extremely bad frame rate problem causing your character to jump all over the screen.

As for gameplay faults the freedom of GTA is not present here. It's virtually impossible to drive to crime scenes or pursue criminals without killing pedestrians, which pushes up the crime rate in the area. The other cops NEVER help, and ALWAYS hinder your mission. There are plenty of taxis in the game to get you to locations safely, but since there's no button to hail them it's very difficult to get inside one.

The whole game is set on Manhattan island, with endless streets of tall, foreboding buildings. There is virtually no sunshine either with lots of rain and night, giving TC: NYC a claustrophobic, gloomy and oppressive feel. If you are used to blue skies and sunshine of Sonic the Hedgehog then this might be a bit of a miserable experience for you.

There are ways to customize your character and vehicle, giving each player their own unique experience. But as you'll encounter on every street of TC: NYC; there is very, very little variety. There are about 10 vehicle models and about the same number of characters. Every street is populated by six or seven models of a single character. There aren't a lot of guns available either, and there's little difference between them.

TC: NYC clearly was not finished. Activision obviously wanted to rush the game to stores before the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube became relics. I can't imagine it selling well, which explains why I had such a hard time finding it.

I did enjoy playing it, which counts for a lot since there are plenty of bad points it had to make up for. But if you are the kind of person who easily throws the control pad through the TV screen when a game freezes then I'd certainly not recommend it.