IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 77: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Relieved that it didn't suck, but that's about it

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
15 November 2009

This movie has some incredibly witty moments, but sadly pretty much all of those can be found in the first half hour. That first half hour perfectly captures what "The Simpsons" were like in their first ten seasons or so, but also cleverly brings in new elements. Also, it has Ralph seeing Bart naked on the street and going "I like boys now". I think that moment alone should deserve six stars, but I digress. Then a plot kicks in about Homer polluting a lake and being hated by everyone and the movie really starts dragging itself to the end more and more. From then on there isn't really much creativity left, it's just the Simpsons running from one place to another and some attempts to political satire that come of as rejected material from "South Park". I get it, Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't seem very bright, now move on. This movie is only 83 minutes long, but it really feels like they had to do anything they could to even reach that length. Overall, this movie isn't a total disaster like some have claimed, but I did expect a bit more from these writers.

I laughed... but I should've laughed harder and more frequently.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
26 January 2008

In this big-screen adventure featuring the lovable folk of Springfield, trouble brews for the Simpson family after Homer irresponsibly pollutes the local water supply with tons of pig manure. As a result of this thoughtless action, the town is encased in a huge dome by the Environment Protection Agency and, after angry Springfield citizens form a lynch mob, Homer and his family are forced to become fugitives.

How much you enjoy The Simpsons Movie will depend entirely on your opinion of the current Simpsons TV show: if you have loved the past few seasons, then you'll have a great time—the movie is as funny, if not slightly better, than your average episode of recent years. Those of us, however, who recognise that the show has long since passed its prime will feel underwhelmed: the movie is often amusing, but very rarely hilarious.

And that's just not good enough! When a series as successful as The Simpsons takes 20 years to make the leap from the small screen to the big screen, it had better be damn good—nay, it had better be exceptional!! Instead, this rather uninspired product just doesn't make the wait worthwhile.

5 out of 10, bumped up to 6 out of a misguided sense of loyalty to a show that has given me so much fun in the past.

Bad, bad, bad idea

Author: biedjee from Netherlands
1 September 2007

(warning, may contain minor spoilers)

I am quite a Simpsons fan. I've always loved the series on telly, and over the past years I have faithfully bought all 'complete series' DVD box sets. I know the series take a dive after series nine, and I'm still doubting whether to buy series 10 when it comes out next month. Better quit while you're ahead, is my motto.

If only the creators of The Simpsons had had that same motto. 20 years in the making, they finally got round to putting the yellow family to the big screen. And while all the buzz was very positive (old producers coming back, the complete writers team of series 2-7 collaborating on the script, etc etc) the movie ultimately fails to deliver. There are some really funny jokes, but the story itself is just downright stupid. Furthermore most of the side-characters are reduced to screenfiller for most of the movie. With the exception of Flanders, Grampa Simpson and (oddly enough) Comic Book Guy and Cletus, none of the supporting characters have anything to do in the movie. Ms Krabapple, Barney, Selma & Patty, Apu and even Moe barely have talking parts? What a waste!

Instead we get a strange Native American lady, an unfunny secret agent and "President Schwarzenegger" (whatever happened to The Simpsons' own Schwarzenegger spoof Rainer Wolfcastle?).

Bad, bad, bad idea.

The "terrible" humor kills everything!!!

Author: speedfreaks100 from United States
9 October 2009

If anyone gave this movie a 10/10, shame on them.

If you have a look at some of the more positive comments, you'll see that people say this movie is 'hilarious'... however this is clearly untrue.

Watch the movie, and name one funny part of the movie (okay, maybe the spider pig skit is sadly the most funny part of this film (hence its promotion in advertisement and trailers)). Is there one person on this earth who finds repetitive slapstick (Homer repetitively sticking his hand into a lake which is 'electrified'???) and predictable 'childish' humor funny (Moe turns off lights at the bar, and his clothes are stripped from him???)? Unfortunately, there are many people who laugh at this crap... Hahahahahah...NOT!!!!!! Is it just me, or was this humor targeted to satisfy complete retards? Simpsons used to be smart - there characters were well though out, the humor was ironic, ingenious and satirical. Today however, the Simpson's is all about lame stupidity (including the producers who created it!). Once again, the humor is soooo predictable. One such success of cartoons like Family Guy, is that they break down stereotypes and predictability - this is what makes it so smart and hilarious.

I was a bit skeptical before seeing the Simpson's movie (after seeing the newer (more lame) seasons of the Simpsons).... unfortunately i was right.

Author: Gubby-Allen from England
10 February 2008

Given the standards set by one of the funniest shows ever - certainly the most humorous by a mile from America, this was really disappointing.

Others go into greater depth as to why, too deep really. The problems were quite simple: 1) The who plot was tediously dull - never cared for the outcome. It wasn't a plot for a film. Imagine real characters played by real people. Would it still be interesting or a film script? Never in a million years. Who Killed Mr Burns would make an ideal script for a real film. Frank Grimes would. This never did. They should've worked on a good script and fitted the characters & gags around that.

2) There were no subplots.

3) No jokes - barely any to make you laugh - Fat Tony dumping the body & Chief Wiggum's response was one of the greatest gags ever. Worth a mark on it's own. Where was the rest of those? One or two others (from Martin) but nothing that hurt you, like in the TV show.

4) Underuse of the good characters. Homer has gone from the funniest character in the show to slightly irritating and the rest of the Simpsons have never been the well crafted or interesting characters. Where was Burns, Capt McAllister, Wiggum, Ralph, Quimby, Brockman, Martin? Were Patty & Selma even in it? Overuse of new characters too.

5) Recycled gags & plots. Whole town V Simpsons has been done to death, so to Marge leaving Homer, Simpson's moving away, Homer's invincibility crashing into things (catchphrases can remain funny but entire scenes rarely do).

6) Far too much music throughout the film which added nothing.

7) Nothing to do with the pig was funny, nor Homer getting Bart to skateboard naked seemed to be cobbled together in 2 minutes.

I'll still give it 5/10. It was The Simpsons after all and though such a let down from the standard it has set, there was probably some enjoyment in there.

A lot of noise for little

Author: Dr Jacques COULARDEAU from Olliergues, France
18 August 2007

If you had some envy to simpsonize yourself for some Internet page, you will lose all envy after that film. The TV series is funny, caustic, at times slightly gore and trashy, in short it is titillating us in the few spots where we are always itchy, in secret of course. We were waiting for Bart's eating his shorts as usual and we only got a very prudish séance of streaking on a skate board. The main theme is pollution and we had been told that it was going to be awfully gory and we got Al Gore, well wrapped up in his fat and becoming an ecological terrorist in the hand of some bureaucrat of some environmental agency under the guidance of a president who was supposed to drag us down into the darkest layers of the political world and as for blackness and darkness we get a Swharzenegger that does not know how to read. Alaska is nicely polluted by oil companies. Sledge dogs rebel and abandon their master in the middle of nowhere. And we even get the seesaw humdrum banal triteness of "in American you can always make as much money as you want." The housing bubble is there to prove it: you can for sure make as much money as you want even with slimy loans, but then everyone in the world has to foot the bill when the enterprising individuals who did it crash and hit the bottom of a bottomless abyss. Mister director, Mister producer, you can do better I am sure, you could do better if you tried, you could have done better if you had really wanted, you should have done better if you had known the cinema is not television. McLuhan taught me a long time ago that the medium is the message. And you did as if the medium did not mean anything at all. That is unrespectful of the audience.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris Dauphine & University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne

I think 'D'oh' sums this film up nicely

Author: jevonthorpe from United Kingdom
13 August 2007

Unfortunately i did not think the movie lived up to the hype. probably the most successful TV series/cartoon ever made, but not one of the greatest movies. I did think before watching the movie that the writers would struggle to find the perfect storyline to ice the proverbial cake that they have spent so many years 'baking', and they did. not the most original story line in history with some very random plot twists, and some very out of character decisions. A lot of the gags played on previous jokes from the TV show, which being a watcher i understood, but didn't find all that funny, but left the first timer guessing a bit. the movie as a whole had a surrealism about it, as though it had not been written by the same people who had previously provided me with hours of entertainment. very predictable in places, but awkwardly random in others. i must say i did find parts of the movie funny, and didn't wish i hadn't seen it, but that does not save the film. i feel this film has come 5 years too late, they should have made it in the shows prime.

Worst Simpsons movie ever!

Author: Dr.Gonzo-2 from Manhattan, Kansas
9 July 2008

I have the lingering taste of a chutney Squishee in my mouth.

One look at the writing credits for this film and it's plainly obvious why it stinks. Too many writers, too much "let's throw in another gag for no apparent reason". Subplots were inexplicably abandoned, gags became unbearable visual references, a la "Family Guy", and the overall plot became incredibly outrageous, even for "The Simpsons". And, I hated that Marge used inappropriate language; it simply wasn't funny.

Perhaps the film is a better experience if you chew peyote, listen to Johnny Cash, and dream of your favorite "Treehouse of Horror" episode while trying to forget that you're watching the WORST SIMPSONS MOVIE EVER! There, I said it. Put that on a t-shirt M.G. and I'll buy it.

Eh, it's a cartoon.

Author: moj4 from France
20 August 2007

Let me start off by saying that I love the Simpsons! I have seen every episode more than once. Maybe that was the problem. Everything was derivative. I have to say the build-up prior to the movie's release was just too much. Spider Pig! Spider Pig? Yeah, that was funny the first gajillion times I saw it in the commercials. By the time I saw the movie, "eh." There was bound to be disappointment. I was really looking forward to this movie but in the back of my mind I wondered if they would over-reach. I was actually checking the clock to see how much time was left. That's not a good sign.

Bottom line: if you like the Simpsons, give it a try, if you don't, well, you can find it free on the internet, anyway!

Not bad, but way too late

Author: ExpendableMan from United Kingdom
11 August 2007

There's an advert doing the rounds in the UK Odeon cinema chain at the moment proudly proclaiming 2007 to be the best summer of movies ever. Having seen it several times, I'm beginning to think I might be getting too cynical to go and see films anymore, because so far this year I have ho-hummed my way through Spiderman 3, sat befuddled through Pirates 3, smirked occasionally during Shrek 3 and failed to see what the fuss was with Transformers. And now, having seen the Simpsons movie, it pains me to say it but the best thing I can bring myself to say is that it's okay. It's not outlandishly brilliant, or a complete disaster. It's just average is all. Six stars out of ten which passes an hour and a half quite nicely but doesn't leave you craving the DVD release. But, at least it's better than the Family Guy movie.

On the plus side, the kids are going to love it. The screening I attended was packed out with ankle biters and they laughed every second, but for the seasoned Simpsons fanatics there is a definite sense of slight disappointment. The jokes are funny and the characters are as charming as ever, but it doesn't quite make the big enough leap to qualify as anything other than an extended TV episode. Sure, the animation is better and the colours sharper, but it's hard to shake the impression that it's merely an overlong TV script, knocked out quickly on a Friday afternoon so as to meet a deadline.

The obvious comparison points would be the South Park and Family Guy movies. The Family Guy one was a disaster - three episodes strung together with no funny jokes and an overwhelming air of self satisfaction. The South Park movie meanwhile was terrific - it took the formula that made the show so great and amplified it to every extreme. The Simpsons movie falls somewhere between the two; it's still a step up, but ever since the series got increasingly outlandish, having Homer and co embark on an epic adventure to save Springfield isn't quite so dramatic anymore. If this had come out around the time of the eighth or ninth seasons when the show (arguably) was at its peak, it would have felt more like the event it always should have been.

What's more, there's Homer. Let's be honest about Homer Simpson for a minute here, he's not that great a character anymore is he? He's crass, self-centred, bigoted, stupid and has so many mood shifts he's teetering on the brink of having multiple personalities. And in this film he's a complete jerk who becomes increasingly difficult to cheer on the more the plot develops. The lovable but dim-witted buffoon of the early series is now gone, replaced by a lumbering imbecile that sings an unfunny song about Spiderpigs.

Considering how beloved the Simpsons are however, none of what I'm saying ultimately matters. It's going to make millions and keep on making millions and while it is occasionally so funny I was in pain, it still feels like a let down, probably because it overdoses on slapstick and a large number of jokes might as well consist of Matt Groening shouting: "Look everybody! Homer Simpson is an idiot!" It's okay, but sadly is just the latest average film in a summer that's overflowing with them. I really, really hope that The Bourne Ultimatum is incredible, or I'll have to give up on multiplex blockbusters and start going to independent cinemas, wear berets and take up chain smoking.