IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 75: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Why pay for past expiery date TV junk?

Author: wicket_the_wicked
31 July 2007

In my youth I admired The Simpsons it was one of the most hilarious shows on television. However as the years past the show went stale and monotone. And now they make it into a film. This is 2 hours of pure pain. It's a show that is way past its expiery date but it seems no one has noticed that all the lines have already been spoken the plot already made. And that it's just 2 hours junk you can watch free on your tele.

I'd not take the advice of Bart Simpson in the opening where he's writing 'I will not illegally download this movie', I think you should just to see how crappy it is.

The Simpsons are dead RIP

Welcome to Irrelevancy

Author: coma__america from Australia
27 July 2007

The announcement of the Simpsons movie was somewhat suspect for myself and probably a lot of other Simpsons fans... Will the movie throw back to the glory days or will it become more irrelevant and terrible like the newer series'. The answer sadly is the later. The Simpsons movie contains the same played out jokes, unfunny and ridiculous situations and none of the characters that originally made the show a success had even more than maybe a scene, if at all! It's sad to see that such a great show can degenerate into the garbage that it is today. If you like the newer seasons you'll love the movie, But if you are looking for a return to the classic comedic brilliance that made the show so great avoid.

Dull, contrived, over-hyped drivel

Author: edwithmj from United Kingdom
11 January 2013

The Simpsons Movie was so over-hyped I looked past the fact that the series' episodes haven't been funny since season 12. The characters aren't funny anymore and seem to do the same things again and again becoming caricatures of themselves: Bart does badly at school and unlike originally, is now completely amoral. Lisa is no longer just clever, she's a mouthpiece of the show's liberal mindset. Marge is just so boring now and just nags non-stop and every episode seems to invent a new way for her marriage to Homer to be on the rocks. Homer himself is now a complete nincompoop who just acts like a slapstick buffoon. This film almost parodies how one-dimensional the characters have become.

The plot is completely nonsensical much like the episodes are these days but it's made worse because it's been made four times as long as an episode. At least the episodes finish in twenty minutes, this tortures us by making us think it will somehow become entertaining - believe me, it doesn't. Like other reviewers on here, I thought the film version of the show played like an overly-extended episode from the unfunny later seasons.

The show itself has become a liberal mouthpiece these days and the film is no exception. Almost every joke is predictable and is about the liberal agenda: Mr Burns said something ironic about how rich white men don't control America, Christianity is made fun of repeatedly as is Intelligent Design, the American President is Arnold Schwarzenegger who, shock, horror, is stupid and controlled by a big evil white corporate executive or something, (I thought this character would be funny as he has the same voice actor as Hank Scorpio which reminded me of when the show was good). When the family arrives in Alaska some man said something about how oil companies are destroying the environment which might be true but it's NOT FUNNY. Please stop preaching to me!

I didn't laugh once through the whole film whose plot is borrowed from other episodes: Marge and Homer's marriage is in trouble again, Springfield is polluted again and produces mutated animals again (seriously, how many times are we going to see that?), Bart thinks Homer is a lousy father again, no one is listening to Lisa's wisdom again, Maggie's hidden intellect is unnoticed by Marge again etc etc. There's nothing new in this to keep me interested and by the time the film was halfway through, I watched it to the end for the same reason I watch the episodes to the end: in the hope I might watch something funny.

A Simpsons film usually is about the other characters too but they're so underused in this that they feel more like cameos.

A Simpsons film would've been a good idea in the mid-1990s when the show was still good, but not now. This film is completely unentertaining.

One time great comedy becomes sad by-product of America's Dark Age of comedy

Author: wright240597 from United Kingdom
1 January 2010

To be honest, I've been a huge fan of the Simpsons since first watching it at the age of 6, and am always an avid fan of the classic seasons (1 to 8) and seasons 9 to 12 at a stretch. But since 2002, the show's fallen flat and failed to produce even a fraction of the humour or originality from it's heyday. I dreaded the release of this movie, knowing it would really only be one aimed at the younger audience that never got the opportunity to start with the classic episodes.

In the few months before its release, we were promised a new storyline and fresh, new, original jokes. However, it took 11 writers (one being the show's creator Matt Groening) to produce an overlong episode of the series as it is today, with the culmination of sad homophobic jokes and the same 8 sub-story lines that have been used since the classic era, but with extremely stale jokes.

The story (or small shred of what should be a storyline) consists of Homer taking in an obscure animal as a pet (overused subplot #1), single-handedly causing an environmental cock-up that has the rest of the townspeople baying for the family's blood (overused subplot #2) and forcing the family to flee Springfield (OSP #3).

During all of this, Bart disowns Homer for being a negligent parent (OSP #4), Lisa experiences first love for the 217th time (OSP #5), Marge and Homer fall out to an extent where they threaten to divorce each other (OSP #6), so it's up to Homer to try and patch up the family's differences after having an apparition telling him to go back to Springfield and sort out the mess (OSP #7).

If you're still awake by the end credits, make sure you catch Maggie's (10th) first word (OSP #8), that is if you haven't already lost the will to live after the extremely unfunny jokes and soul-destroying cameo scenes from rock band Green Day and actor Tom Hanks.

Avoid this movie at all costs. Alternatively, If you want to watch it for the only witty joke in 8 miserable years of pro-Bush humour, fast forward your borrowed DVD or online video to the final 5 minutes which involves Homer literally being.... I won't give it away for those who haven't seen the movie already or avoided it up to now. Other than that, it truly is one to avoid and a total waste of money, proof that Groening should have pulled the plug on the series at the turn of the millennium.

Relieved that it didn't suck, but that's about it

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
15 November 2009

This movie has some incredibly witty moments, but sadly pretty much all of those can be found in the first half hour. That first half hour perfectly captures what "The Simpsons" were like in their first ten seasons or so, but also cleverly brings in new elements. Also, it has Ralph seeing Bart naked on the street and going "I like boys now". I think that moment alone should deserve six stars, but I digress. Then a plot kicks in about Homer polluting a lake and being hated by everyone and the movie really starts dragging itself to the end more and more. From then on there isn't really much creativity left, it's just the Simpsons running from one place to another and some attempts to political satire that come of as rejected material from "South Park". I get it, Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't seem very bright, now move on. This movie is only 83 minutes long, but it really feels like they had to do anything they could to even reach that length. Overall, this movie isn't a total disaster like some have claimed, but I did expect a bit more from these writers.

I laughed... but I should've laughed harder and more frequently.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
26 January 2008

In this big-screen adventure featuring the lovable folk of Springfield, trouble brews for the Simpson family after Homer irresponsibly pollutes the local water supply with tons of pig manure. As a result of this thoughtless action, the town is encased in a huge dome by the Environment Protection Agency and, after angry Springfield citizens form a lynch mob, Homer and his family are forced to become fugitives.

How much you enjoy The Simpsons Movie will depend entirely on your opinion of the current Simpsons TV show: if you have loved the past few seasons, then you'll have a great time—the movie is as funny, if not slightly better, than your average episode of recent years. Those of us, however, who recognise that the show has long since passed its prime will feel underwhelmed: the movie is often amusing, but very rarely hilarious.

And that's just not good enough! When a series as successful as The Simpsons takes 20 years to make the leap from the small screen to the big screen, it had better be damn good—nay, it had better be exceptional!! Instead, this rather uninspired product just doesn't make the wait worthwhile.

5 out of 10, bumped up to 6 out of a misguided sense of loyalty to a show that has given me so much fun in the past.

A poor tribute to what was once the greatest cartoon on television

Author: lollyshaun from United Kingdom
25 December 2007

I'm sure you've heard this argument before, but the simpsons were in their prime 10 years ago. They have left this movie too late.

Instead of what should have been a milestone in cartoons, we are left with what feels like an extended "newer" simpsons episode. Filled with corny laughs and cheap gags, the movie trots along with no real story or backbone, and no, spider pig is NOT funny.

You might get a few laughs out of this movie if you are 14 years old or younger, but if you aren't trying to force yourself to like it simply because its the simpsons and you don't want to be disappointed, you'll realize that this is a pile of spider pig crap which is "polluting" our once loved Simpsons.

4/10, check out the South Park movie instead.

Bad, bad, bad idea

Author: biedjee from Netherlands
1 September 2007

(warning, may contain minor spoilers)

I am quite a Simpsons fan. I've always loved the series on telly, and over the past years I have faithfully bought all 'complete series' DVD box sets. I know the series take a dive after series nine, and I'm still doubting whether to buy series 10 when it comes out next month. Better quit while you're ahead, is my motto.

If only the creators of The Simpsons had had that same motto. 20 years in the making, they finally got round to putting the yellow family to the big screen. And while all the buzz was very positive (old producers coming back, the complete writers team of series 2-7 collaborating on the script, etc etc) the movie ultimately fails to deliver. There are some really funny jokes, but the story itself is just downright stupid. Furthermore most of the side-characters are reduced to screenfiller for most of the movie. With the exception of Flanders, Grampa Simpson and (oddly enough) Comic Book Guy and Cletus, none of the supporting characters have anything to do in the movie. Ms Krabapple, Barney, Selma & Patty, Apu and even Moe barely have talking parts? What a waste!

Instead we get a strange Native American lady, an unfunny secret agent and "President Schwarzenegger" (whatever happened to The Simpsons' own Schwarzenegger spoof Rainer Wolfcastle?).

Bad, bad, bad idea.

The "terrible" humor kills everything!!!

Author: speedfreaks100 from United States
9 October 2009

If anyone gave this movie a 10/10, shame on them.

If you have a look at some of the more positive comments, you'll see that people say this movie is 'hilarious'... however this is clearly untrue.

Watch the movie, and name one funny part of the movie (okay, maybe the spider pig skit is sadly the most funny part of this film (hence its promotion in advertisement and trailers)). Is there one person on this earth who finds repetitive slapstick (Homer repetitively sticking his hand into a lake which is 'electrified'???) and predictable 'childish' humor funny (Moe turns off lights at the bar, and his clothes are stripped from him???)? Unfortunately, there are many people who laugh at this crap... Hahahahahah...NOT!!!!!! Is it just me, or was this humor targeted to satisfy complete retards? Simpsons used to be smart - there characters were well though out, the humor was ironic, ingenious and satirical. Today however, the Simpson's is all about lame stupidity (including the producers who created it!). Once again, the humor is soooo predictable. One such success of cartoons like Family Guy, is that they break down stereotypes and predictability - this is what makes it so smart and hilarious.

I was a bit skeptical before seeing the Simpson's movie (after seeing the newer (more lame) seasons of the Simpsons).... unfortunately i was right.

Essentially lame and unmemorable (Big spoilers)

Author: burninblazes from New Jersey
5 July 2008

The Simpsons TV show lost its way a long time ago. There were many factors, but one big thing is that the show lost a lot of complexity and depth to the parodies, and just became too blatant, lazy and shallow. The complexity wasn't just about making it a multi-leveled joke, it was about parodying real lives, pain and woes and just circumstances that many of us could relate to. At some point that went out the window. I had little hope that this movie would be a real change of pace, and honestly it was about what I expected it to be in terms of quality. It was mildly entertaining, it couldn't compare to the classic episodes, and it didn't have much point for existing. I had a slight hope that there would be a better plot or something that gave the movie a purpose, but nope, it was pretty basically an extended episode. Towards the beginiing of the movie Homer tells us we're dopes for watching, and Homeboy is right.

Things that sucked about this picture:

1. Homer is still too stupid. Remember in the old days, there was a balance of "normal" and "extra stupid" with Homer. Now it's just "one really, really stupid guy who sometimes acts/speaks as if he loves his family, although you never actually feel that love when watching"

2. No true emotion. The old Simpsons episodes could actually be touching at the same time as they were hilarious, which was part of the genius. Now, they can write it in that this character loves that character, but where is the emotion? They don't manage to capture that feeling and convey it to the audience, perhaps because it is so shallow.

3. Spider-Pig. WHAT THE HELL. When I saw this in the previews and I heard that this was something that was popular in the movie, I was confused because it looked incredibly stupid and lame. But I thought, maybe, just maybe, there was something else to it that made it funny in the movie. No, no, no, there wasn't, and the pig all together was a pointless inclusion. If they had to go with the "Homer destroys the lake" thing, couldn't it have something to do with the power plant? Or does he not work there anymore? Why the stupid pig?

4. Pointless characters. The little Irish boy. Who? What? Why? Green Day... I don't even think that was Billy Joe's voice, it sounded like a woman. And the EPA dude, well, I guess he had a point, but wouldn't the movie have been cooler if it was all some grand scheme from Side Show Bob, or the space aliens, or the staff at the kids' school, or something grounded in the Simpsons' lives? If they had to bring in a new villain, couldn't they have made him a bit more entertaining?

5. EVERYBODY in town except Flanders and the Irish boy want to kill the Simpsons. I dunno, it just bothered me to see Otto trying to kill the kids. At least limit it to Homer, the other Simpsons didn't do anything!

6. Why was the sandbox a transporter? No explanation? OK....

7. Bart wasn't badass enough. If Homer had made the ridiculous dare to him to go skateboard nude in the old days, Bart would have found a way to trick Homer so Homer was the one doing the skateboarding naked. Then the buddying up with Flanders... I just never quite bought it. Bart knows Flanders. Flanders is not a mystery to Bart. Why does a kid like Bart suddenly feel so compelled to experience the fatherly wonder of his dorky neighbor?

8. The "Marge doesn't know if she loves Homer because Homer is such a jerk - nope, she loves him" thing has been done to death.

9. Groundskeeper Willy... did I miss it, or was there not one peep out of him during his appearances?

10. Where was the cat?

11. Last, but definitely not least, it JUST WASN'T VERY FUNNY. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was wretchedly unfunny, but it was just "ok". This was nowhere near hilarious. It was mildly amusing. There were two times I remember laughing, 1. when Homer first touches the electrified fish (it got old after that), and 2. when Homer first goes up to the silo labeled "pig crap" (look, I was grasping at straws here). I did like the Tom Hanks thing. Edited to add, the "Grand Theft Walrus" part made me laugh. Not so much the game but the title. Wait, is that supposed to be a joke about Alaska? Oh...

I don't know if the Simpsons ever had much need for a movie, but if this movie had been made in the series prime, many moons back, I'm sure the creative force that was propelling the show could have given us a great movie. Or they could have done a live-action movie, which although it could have been absolutely horrible, just may have been executed in such a way as to be interesting and enjoyable. Whatever the case, this is what we got, and they can take it back.

If you want to know the glory of The Simpsons just forget that they still produce cartoons (and movies) under that name, and go back to the early years. I'll take the crudely drawn but very creative stuff over this shiny, uninspired crap.