IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 77: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Garbage For The Real Fans, Gold For Everyone Else

Author: Richas Doe from United States
6 August 2007

Ever since the first movie trailer leaked out on to the airwaves, everyone thought the Simpson's movie was going to be the biggest thing to hit us this summer. Unfortunately, this movie fails on so many levels that it's sad. It's the Hank Scorpio episode remixed and stretched out into a movie. The characters in this movie take such a dramatic turn from their old selves that all we're left with is exploited and annoying failures. Homer was turned from the classic oaf with a big heart for his children into a brainless jerk who relies heavily on slapstick comedy. Bart was turned from bad boy into a emotional drunk and Lisa went from the smart voice of reason into the nagging voice of self righteousness.

It's garbage, and it's 85 minutes of it using the same jokes we saw years ago.

Though, it's not as bad as the last couple of seasons that you may have seen on television, but at least you weren't charged for that. The film, in my honest opinion would have been pretty good if it was a "Made for T.V. Movie" and aired on T.V., but the fact that I had to pay nine dollars for it, makes it pure garbage. Like so many disappointed fans have wrote before me, I want a refund, and if you pay for it, you'll want one to.

Funny but lacking

Author: T Y from United States
28 July 2007

It's funny enough. I sat in the theater smiling or laughing like everyone at the situations and inside jokes.

But the problem is exactly what could be anticipated: It provides no reason for the jump in medium; failing to answer what in the movie couldn't be done on TV? You keep waiting for the movie to exploit some cinematic angle but it never ever gets around to it, not in any major way. How can it be that the marketing gag of turning 7-11s into Quikee-Marts is a more clever and memorable concept than the idea for the movie?

The end credits are a microcosm of the problem: They start one way, then... they're interrupted by a Monty Burns gag. You wait for the next cameo and it doesn't arrive. Instead... a row of theater chairs appear and the Simpsons start mocking the credits from them. Sounds promising, right? But then that idea is abandoned in barely a minute, before it even gets started. Then the credits just run normally. This is a movie designed by committee.

In a very poor move, Monty Burns plays no part in the plot. And look at that title! "The Simpsons Movie" (!) The movies hum-drum goals are exactly embodied by that disappointing, run-of-the-mill title.

hmm pretty bad even for The Simpsons

Author: Nakamura-Takumi from United Kingdom
16 August 2007

I wasn't thrilled when I heard about a Simpson's movie, I knew this would either boost the quality or drastically drop it, as the show seems to be be in recent years (with exception to Halloween episodes). The lead characters seemed out of personality (Homer being a complete selfish Pratt) except Lisa being her usual preachy self. Greendays inclusion seemed pointless, just trying to fit another gag in. granted there were somethings that made me slightly giggle but those were things that weren't even funny, the plot device of the bike-cage thing for the final act was a bit disappointed.

Animation was a bit weird as the cel-shaded items in the film looked odd especially the Simpson's car looking out of proportion.

To wrap this up: poor script, poor character development, poor plot, poor humour.

This film shows that the Simpson's stands more simpletons

boring and un-simpson-like

Author: Scoop2005 from United Kingdom
27 July 2007

The weird experinece of seeing the simpsons on the silver screen was indeed weird, and therefore I think it would have been best that the simpsons stay on the small screen.

The film won't do anything special for the series, and after waiting 18 years for it, personally, I think that the creators have made a mistake, its just like 4 episodes strung together! With a bit of fancy camera-work, slightly souped up animation and as many one liners and gags the wirters can think of! No matter how hard the writers try don't they realise it's likely they will never reach the comedy gold of the first 8 seasons? Those seasons didn't rely on slapstick as much, and crappy and unimaginative one liners, just what this film relys on.

It's obvious this film will do very well at the box office, and thats fine with me, the simpsons is a worldwide phenomenon, it's just the quality of the seasons has steadily got worse and now this. Come on Matt, your show has had its day, it's made millions and is internationally successful, why almost ruin it with this? For god's sake don't make a sequel.

Meant more for casual fans than for diehards. Plus, the format just doesn't really work as a movie, I think.

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
29 July 2007

I'm an absolute fanatic of The Simpsons and have been watching it since it was on Tracey Ullman. I grew up with it. I was the exact same age as Bart when the very first episode premiered. Unlike a lot of fans, I've never turned my back on the show. I am not one who thinks each new episode is worse than the last. I do acknowledge that it's long past its peak, but I think almost every new episode is funny enough to be worth seeing. Once in a while, they'll produce an episode that's genuinely fantastic. But, really, I don't demand fantastic. I'll settle for a few good laughs and be at least moderately happy. Now comes The Simpsons Movie, which had been talked about for the last 15 years, at least. Much like when I watch new episodes, I wasn't expecting the movie to be that great. Unfortunately, it fell below even those expectations. It has a few good jokes and moments (the only time I laughed really loud was the Tom Hanks bit), but it doesn't do much right. Those who've long turned their backs on the show like to complain about recycled plot lines. It's true, of course, for pretty much every new episode, but the show has grown more manic and self-referential over time. Many don't like that, either, but I personally do like those kind of jokes. The movie just plods along with a predictable plot that's made up of some of the most basic of all Simpsons plots: Homer and Marge relationship problems, Lisa's environmental concerns, and Bart's loss of faith in his father. None of it here is done with the irony of the newer episodes. It's like it's part of the really early Simpsons, when we hadn't seen these plots a billion times. Except it completely lacks the perfect comic timing of the early seasons. In the end, the movie is only an occasionally amusing affair. Certainly it's worth seeing if you're a fan, but, unless you're the kind of nut I am, you can wait for the DVD.

Dull, contrived, over-hyped drivel

Author: edwithmj from United Kingdom
11 January 2013

The Simpsons Movie was so over-hyped I looked past the fact that the series' episodes haven't been funny since season 12. The characters aren't funny anymore and seem to do the same things again and again becoming caricatures of themselves: Bart does badly at school and unlike originally, is now completely amoral. Lisa is no longer just clever, she's a mouthpiece of the show's liberal mindset. Marge is just so boring now and just nags non-stop and every episode seems to invent a new way for her marriage to Homer to be on the rocks. Homer himself is now a complete nincompoop who just acts like a slapstick buffoon. This film almost parodies how one-dimensional the characters have become.

The plot is completely nonsensical much like the episodes are these days but it's made worse because it's been made four times as long as an episode. At least the episodes finish in twenty minutes, this tortures us by making us think it will somehow become entertaining - believe me, it doesn't. Like other reviewers on here, I thought the film version of the show played like an overly-extended episode from the unfunny later seasons.

The show itself has become a liberal mouthpiece these days and the film is no exception. Almost every joke is predictable and is about the liberal agenda: Mr Burns said something ironic about how rich white men don't control America, Christianity is made fun of repeatedly as is Intelligent Design, the American President is Arnold Schwarzenegger who, shock, horror, is stupid and controlled by a big evil white corporate executive or something, (I thought this character would be funny as he has the same voice actor as Hank Scorpio which reminded me of when the show was good). When the family arrives in Alaska some man said something about how oil companies are destroying the environment which might be true but it's NOT FUNNY. Please stop preaching to me!

I didn't laugh once through the whole film whose plot is borrowed from other episodes: Marge and Homer's marriage is in trouble again, Springfield is polluted again and produces mutated animals again (seriously, how many times are we going to see that?), Bart thinks Homer is a lousy father again, no one is listening to Lisa's wisdom again, Maggie's hidden intellect is unnoticed by Marge again etc etc. There's nothing new in this to keep me interested and by the time the film was halfway through, I watched it to the end for the same reason I watch the episodes to the end: in the hope I might watch something funny.

A Simpsons film usually is about the other characters too but they're so underused in this that they feel more like cameos.

A Simpsons film would've been a good idea in the mid-1990s when the show was still good, but not now. This film is completely unentertaining.

The Simpsons Movie is worth 6 chuckles.

Author: bakkouz from Jordan
9 August 2007

Six chuckles, thats how much I enjoyed this movie. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big Simpsons fan, always has been, always will be, however I was not too impressed with the Simpsons movie, i found it to be moderate at best and does not compare to the TV shows, not the really funny classic episodes at least, it was like a moderate episode stretched 90 minutes. sure there were a few funny moments but i wouldn't at all call it hilarious and it sure wasn't worth the wait or the hype.

First off, the plot was weak and not worthy of a 90 minute movie, it could have been easily fitted into a single episode, and the subplots are just slapstick repeats of old jokes (ie: Bart and Homer, Bart and Marge, Bart and Flanders). The supporting characters were practically non-existent, and the ones that did appear had really shallow lines except for a couple of funny lines from Flanders and Ralph, but thats about it. and well, the intro just sucked, the itchy and scratchy bit was out of place didn't really integrate well into the movie. as for the overall humor quality, well, it was average and disappointing, It contains no thoughtful parody and only very trite satire. Many of the gags are childish. Slapstick humor cannot carry a prime time television show, much less a full length feature film. It contains no complex subtext, no (intelligent) obscure references, no hilarious musical numbers and no intricate visual humor. Many jokes are recycled from older episodes yet are very crudely put together.

I know this isn't the best review of a movie you'll ever read, it sure isn't the best I've ever written, but I guess its just hard for me to critique the show i love so much so hard, and i was trying to be nice with everything i said above, and i'm sorry to report that the movie isn't really worth the theater ticket, but then again, watching it at the theater might be the best way to get you to laugh during this film.

Meh

Author: Bill Parker
28 July 2007

This movie just wasn't that great. Most of the high reviews seem inflated by the fact that it didn't suck, and aren't based on the actual quality of the film. It was slightly better than the new episodes on TV. but it is hardly a return to the quality of the early 90s. The humor was dumbed down and most of the laughs generated in the theater were from a character banging his head or something childish. A true return to form would show a comedic style that reaches all age and intelligence levels not just the slapstick humor of late. If you're looking for a classic Simpsons movie, I do not recommend this; however, if you are looking for some laughs and aren't expecting much this movie is good.

Best Animated Movie Ever!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
27 July 2007

The long awaited Simpsons Movie finally opened today, this is the day that Simpsons fans have been dreaming about since there was talk about a Simpsons movie. I just saw the opening show today and I have to say that the Simpsons still have me laughing after all this time. Even though it just felt like another episode, the Simpsons have pushed the envelope a little further into total controversy as the day that the Simpsons show debuted on FOX. If you are a Simpsons fan, I'm more than positive you are going to love the Simpsons Movie. It had great laughs, shocking moments, and just such a fun atmosphere that anyone could have fun with.

Springfield is under a watch for global warming, they find out about their lake being polluted and how it will destroy the town unless they stop dumping toxic waste into the water. But Homer pushes it when he dumps more "crap" into the lake and it causes harm to animals. The EPA places a dome around Springfield to protect others from entering it's harmful environment, but leaves the whole town's population in the dome. When they learn that it was Homer's actions that caused this, they go after him and the family, but they escape through a hole in the ground. They go to Alaska, but find out that the EPA has deadly plans for Springfield and the Simpsons have to stop them.

Even though I was expecting more, I was extremely happy with what I got. It is like a typical episode in some ways, but I love the Simpsons, I'm going to be a fan 'till the day I die, so I just naturally love this film. I know that sounds biased, but other Simpsons fans can relate, I'm sure. The Simpsons movie is an absolute blast of great laughter and fun, it even gets emotional, I smell Oscars! Lol, just kidding, but please have fun and watch the Simpsons Movie, I'm sure you'll love it.

Only an Extended Recent Season Episode

Author: Zaptharo from United States
19 September 2008

After watching this for the second time after a friend of mine forced me to, I asked myself, just what is so special about the Simpsons Movie? Am I supposed to believe that what the critics say is actually true? Don't be fooled. The Simpsons Movie, as it turns out, is just an extended recent season episode filled with more pointless plots and humor. It's sad too, because I was a big Simpsons when it was still going strong. What made it great was it's intelligent humor and ability to reason in a well developed manner. It was a breakthrough in television and it led to other adult themed cartoons such as South Park and Family Guy. But this, this was so disappointing I was left wondering how much longer the Simpsons show was going to last.

As I watched the movie, I found jokes to be recycled from older episodes and ridiculous plots that led to nowhere. I never understood the point of why Homer brought "Spider-Pig" home, only to disappear soon for the rest of the movie. The plot was perhaps the worst aspect of the movie. Lisa falls in love with an Irish boy, Homer dumps waste in a lake, Marge goes angry, the EPA traps Springfield in a dome, the Simpsons family escapes and goes to Alaska, Marge and the kids are captured, Homer is aided by a Native American (aka boob lady) while trying to return to Springfield, a time bomb is placed in Springfield, and Homer and Bart save the day while riding the dome on a motorcycle. When you take these plot lines together, they make little to no sense. Which is what led this movie to disaster.

The characters were also a disappointment. The Simpsons family was the only cast that actually had a part in this movie. All of the beloved characters we've come and known over the years (Principal Skinner, Moe, Barney, Mr Burns, Apu, Krusty the Clown, Mayor Quimby, and Sideshow Bob amongst others) get little to no screen time. Instead, we get EPA Guy and an irritated Arnold Schwarzenegger. Those guys, along with "Spider-Pig", the Irish Boy, and Boob Lady, get more than double the screen time that the more well-known characters get. If anything, it was a recipe for disaster. Most if not all of the characters in this movie seemed forced and uninspired. Rather, this wasn't the old and beloved cast we knew. We were watching a watered down version of the show that just happened to be a movie. 85 minutes of low quality toilet humor without an ounce of genuine talent involved, with paper thin plots on top of it. I could of asked for more guest stars, but even they haven't fared well in the recent seasons of the Simpsons, so they could of made the movie even worse than it already is.

I'm beginning to lose trust in the Simpsons and Hollywood in general, since they seem to dilute and damage nearly every movie franchise they touch. Like the recent Indiana Jones, TMNT, Transformers, and Star Wars movies, the Simpsons movie is a failure that should be placed in the bargain bin. Just what happened to the magic these franchises once had? They've been turned into corporate cash cows, and the Simpsons is no exception. If you take my advice, you would be smart enough to purchase the older seasons of the Simpsons on DVD (Seasons 2-8) and forget the atrocity that is this movie. The only part that amused me was the beginning, when Homer told me that I should be watching TV at home and not paying to see a piece of garbage on the big screen. After that little part, I was fast asleep in the theater.

2 out of 10.