IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 76: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

this movie was awful

Author: azza_dowson from Australia
16 August 2007

i don't know who you people are or what you know about the Simpsons, but they utterly and fantastically DESTROYED the Simpsons as we knew them!

Yes the animation was improved compared to the television series, but who the in the world expected it to be the same?! the fact of the matter is the characters interactions were moderatley low, the ambient background extras were down and out the worst animated loops I've EVER seen (not even in the show do they do loops like that, seriously who hired these idiot animators)

did anyone else notice that they skipped from animating on 1's to like 4's for no reason at all?!

the plot, oh my god, whoever said that plot was good or original or inventive or just plain smart is a down out IDIOT! I have never seen such a generic, rushed and sloppy, thrown together plot in a movie for years. The Simpsons have had 20 years on the tele, how the hell didn't they think of a plot to do in that much time?! "hey bill wanna write the Simpsons movie and make it really good and funny?"

"No Ted, why don't we just rush it ad NO FUNNY jokes and make it about the town exploding, while we are at it why not just fill the advertisements with propaganda which makes people want to see it, and leave them totally unfulfilled?" "I like your thinking, you should work for the government"

Okay I covered Plot and Bad animation, oh yes profiles.

Since when did the Simpsons ever show Bart drinking alcohol?! HES 10 YEARS OLD what the hell! why don't we just throw in some hookers and blackjack!?

The main character that they destroyed was the main character Homer... Never in any kind of episode was Homer ever this selfish and self-centered, the writers must have been stuck and thought "i know! We can make Homer stupidly overly selfish and go on from there!" What were they thinking?!

throughout the entire movie i laughed possibly twice, once was at spider pig (always has been funny but i saw that on the adverts so it wasn't really too funny. and another time i cant remember)

I seriously considered crashing my car on the way home from the movie theatre so something interesting would happen.

L2P FOX 0/10

A Major Disappointment

Author: eddyx77 from United States
3 August 2007

After reading some other reviews here on IMDb that likened "The Simpsons Movie" to the glory years of seasons 3-8, I decided to see it myself in theaters yesterday. Unfortunately, I was seriously disappointed with the film on just about every level. Despite the claims made by some of the more overzealous fanboys on IMDb, this is NOT a return to form for the Simpsons. This movie, in fact, is not even as good as the BEST episodes from the new seasons.

If you are expecting this film to expand upon (or simply make decent use of) the Simpsons universe that the die-hard fans know and love, as I was, you will be very upset when the final credits roll. This is really the Homer show, and as other critics have noted, even normally major players like Moe, Chief Wiggum, and Mr. Burns have very little time on screen. The premise is no more grandiose or complex than any Simpsons episode and the development of story is significant less than that of the really good episodes, let alone the true greats. Most of the details of the film feel superfluous and erratic. In other words, the film lacks any real cohesion. It also feels like certain aspects are simply rehashed in an almost parody-like manner from far superior episodes of the series during its prime. I don't want to give away anything, but those of you who watched the show religiously for the past 17 years will find that a lot of the film is highly derivative.

The bottom line is this: The movie doesn't feel like a movie, but rather like an expanded version of one of the newer episodes, and a not particularly funny or coherent episode at that. It doesn't offer anything new or interesting to the die-hard fans and it simply isn't very funny. I went into the theater with a very open mind and was actually quite excited to see the film. I laughed out loud only once during the entire movie and by about the 45 minute mark I was waiting for it to end.

The only positive thing to be said about the film is that the animation was nice, but it was really not much above that of the TV series as it is now. In fact, the computer enhancement reminded me of the episodes of "Futurama" that I had seen.

The only conclusion that I can reach based on the very high scores this film has received on IMDb so far is that for many fans, it is hard to let go of something that was once so great. Unfortunately, this film was just plain awful and it only serves to reinforce every true fan's greatest fear; that the Simpsons has become a shallow parody of a once brilliant work of art.

I officially withdraw my support from this show

Author: Sam Russell from Melbourne, Australia
6 October 2008

At its best (circa early 90's) The Simpsons was a show possibly unmatched in its brilliance, not just for an animated show but for any comedy. 15 years or so later, and regrettably it has become one of the worst shows on television, culminating in one of the worst films I have ever seen.

The film has so little redeeming value I don't know where to start. I can remember only one scene which I almost laughed and there were SEVERAL where I cringed, one comment bordering on racist. As I watched this I felt many things; mainly bored and completely patronised. The plot s utterly stupid, its not even worth analysing needless to say it was so bad that I actually stopped paying attention.

The degeneration of this show couldn't have been captured more perfectly in this film. The main problem is that the characters have become so unlikeable, particularly Homer. Homer used to be lovable moron - but at the same time witty, he has become slapstick - in your face stupid, to the point of being extremely annoying - ditto Bart. The show has made the mistake of re-hashing jokes from the wrong types of characters. As many have mentioned, the token slapstick characters seem to have been given predominantly more airtime resulted further in the deterioration of the show - eg. Comic Book Guy, Cletus, cat lady and other one-card wonder characters. And is it just me or is Nelson and Ralph the too most unfunny characters - possibly in cartoon history. Can someone please write a threatening letter to Nancy Cartwright so we can just end them? Then write something scary to the writers of this film, though I'm they'll scare easy, having masterminded this abomination. Its perplexing that the show has fallen THIS far. I've lost all respect for Matt Greoning and those associated with the show since inception. How could they treat their fans with so much disdain.

I actually walked out on this film, its impossible for me to express how disappointed I was or how many levels it was awful, I'd suggest you see it for yourself, if nothing other than to finally withdraw your support from this brand. Switch over to Family Guy, at least that show doesn't take itself seriously, and remembers how to write adult humour.

OK movie, but not so much for old Simpsons fans

Author: DeanBitterman from United States
28 April 2008

The Simpsons movie was something I wanted to see when first watching the Simpsons 15 years ago. Now the show is only a hollow shell of what it once was, a show with sharp, subtle humor, and down to earth, believable stories. Then the stories went from believable to unbelievable, but still retained the same exceptional humor. Now all is lost, and the Simpsons movie was created in this period. The movie for the most part, was entertaining to see, but provided the occasional laugh with characters I have grown to love. That being said, parts of the movie, I found extremely unfunny, and tasteless.

Examples: 1. Seeing Barts penis 2. Homer giving people the middle-finger 3. Awkward Marge/Homer sex scene 4. Swearing that never took place in the series.

Overall, the movie was a decent entry in the series to see; simply for the animation quality, and characters in a longer than usual episode. That being said, I was glad I only paid a dollar to rent the movie as it was not worth much more than that to me. Fans of the Simpsons years ago, should see this movie, and steer clear of buying it. Instead save some money for seasons 3-9 on DVD.

I'm sorry but was I supposed to laugh?

Author: Ref 65 from Ireland
18 February 2008

What is so good about this movie?I saw it a first time and thought it was hilarious but the second time time really puts you off on seeing another cartoon movie.I like the Simpsons but this movie shows nothing special about the T.V show,in fact it is just a normal episode except it is longer and gets worst every time.I don't know what gave me the nerve to watch it again but it was like torture.It is about everyones favourite character Homer Simpson who gets the town in trouble by the government because he pours pig dung into the lake witch causes pollution.The town gets really mad and the family have to run away and hide,but how?the town is trapped in a bubble and they have to escape.

I began to hate this movie when I saw it a second time because nothing was funny anymore.And I say you're thinking that I have no sense of humour but the first time I saw it I laughed my head off but the second time made me bored stiff.Simpsons fans will be disappointed or maybe they won't but I'm one unhappy Simpsons fan.

Very disappointing

Author: gabriel-80 from Copenhagen, Denmark
12 August 2007

I find it really hard to believe that the writers gave their best shot at this. The gags are predictable and boring slapstick, the story is extremely predictable. The only really funny scenes had already been killed by watching them 300 times in the trailer - which was extremely funny by the way. Well, I guess the movie just reflects where the series has gone for the last handful of seasons. Nowhere! There were way to few references to the most classic scenes from the show, and so many of the characters that makes the Simpsons so funny was also lacking. The Simpsons isn't just funny when Homer is in the picture hurting himself. The Simpsons best humor is the subtle political incorrect satire on the American way of living. That is all gone now. I really felt that they had tried to hard to make it an all family entertainment movie with no guts, political incorrectness, surprises or blood (Itchy and scratchy episode). The Simpsons has lost their nerve.

A really disappointing let down

Author: jrclar from United Kingdom
13 August 2007

Unfortunately the Simpsons movie fails in its attempt to translate to the big screen. This is both surprising and disappointing as whereas shows like south park have more and more pulled in ratings by pushing the boundaries of bad taste, the Simpsons even though has included more adult humour as of late has always primarily relied on excellent set pieces and a fantastic and varied supporting cast.

The last of these points illustrates one of the main failings of this movie, the cast of supporting characters are given less screen time than in a normal Simpsons episode which makes the movie feel like there is something lacking. The story is also wildly implausible even by the Simpsons standards and also feels void of any real substance, most Simpsons episodes involve a small scale situation which sometimes but not always progresses to a larger scale with the humour revolving around the Simpsons handling of the situation, not giving too much away but the progression of events feels rushed and with the talent of the writers you feel they could have thought of something better .

Unfortunately as with many movies that I have personally seen lately most of the best bits of the film are in the trailer. Everyone in the cinema was obviously looking forward to the arrival of spider pig but apart from what you see of him in the trailer he is discarded very quickly which left many people confused. The jokes are also hit and miss some of them actually made people in the cinema groan, this was again a disappointment as the Simpsons is known for laugh out loud moments. The movie also rehashes at least one story line which has been covered several times in the various seasons of the Simpsons, this either feels like laziness on the part of the writers or an attempt to include a storyline which they know has kept viewers attentions for several years and will help as the producers of the movie said to introduce the movie to those people who had not watched the Simpsons before. This being said it still feels that the writers could have thought up a fresh idea for both fans and newcomers alike. As some people who have watched the film will know there is one moment of nudity that while drawn was none the less more shocking than funny and from the reactions in the cinema it was ill advised, parents were tutting, some children were laughing heartily but some stared at the screen not really sure what reaction they should have, this moment was in total contrast to events at the beginning of the movie where an itchy and scratchy cartoon has been toned down, this made the film feel a bit of a mess.

In conclusion the Simpsons movie suffers from a lack of what the show is all about, a superb support cast, simple yet effective comedy and a story that while not totally unbelievable doesn't leave you scratching your head as to what the hell is going on. This movie is the most disappointing film I have seen in a while which is a great shame.

You may have already seen this...

Author: Karl Hinze from United Kingdom
15 August 2007

...if you've been a Simpsons fan for as long as I have and have seen most of the classic episodes.

Now I haven't seen the whole film but, working in a cinema, I have seen the beginning and the end, and a few bits in between. And all I saw in that time were watered down parts (no blood in Itchy and Scratchy?!) so that it could be a PG, and jokes that have been recycled from episodes.

For example:

*When Homer goes to church in the beginning he states that he wants to worship God in his own way, like praying like hell on his death bed. He's said this before in the episode "Homer the Heretic", except he used the word "recant" as opposed to "praying like hell" - obviously changed in the movie so kids could understand it.

*When Grandpa has the vision in the church, he rolls around on the floor in a circle... something Homer did in the "Last Exit To Springfield" episode where he is appointed head of the union, and negotiates with Mr Burns in an attempt to get the Dental Plan back.

*Near the end, when Homer and Bart try to make the jump and fail initially... that's been seen before.

*As has the part where Apu changes the sell-by date because the product had gone out of date.

I'm not going to watch the rest of it because I'm sure that, based on the few minutes of this I have seen, there will be more recycled jokes which made me laugh at the time, but not now.

The beauty of The Simpsons, in my opinion, is that the episodes are clever and are there to appeal to an older audience (or certainly were, before they started getting boring and unfunny).

However, the film is just for kids, or for adults to take their kids to the cinema.

It may make new fans this, but I don't think it will please the old ones. And that's why I don't like it.

Don't add to the box office for this lazy and insipid effort.

Author: gl177 from California
5 August 2007

This is the first review I've been inspired to write on IMDb for probably five years now. I just can't read one more user review inexplicably giving this film 8 or 10 stars.

I'm not going to go for the easy hit and say that this movie is pretty much in conjunction with the fading quality of the last decade or so; in fact I don't even believe that is necessarily the case with the TV show. There have been some great episodes, even in the last few seasons, just as there have been many mediocre ones and downright stupid episodes (jockeys in a trash bag, anyone?).

I've never been a "worst episode ever" kind of crank, or a "season 3 and season 4 were the best" snob, or even cared that much about dumb Homer vs. smart Homer. The Simpsons' ability to layer irony, storyline, and conceptual rigor with a razor-sharp attention to current events means that every new episode is an opportunity for brilliance and relevance. So I come to every new offering with a tingle of hope.

I thought I had done a good job of reading qualified reviewers from resources I trusted. I listened to a few interviews of Matt Groening and got the impression that the producers and writers were all really proud and excited about this movie. Was everyone just lying, or ingratiating themselves with pop culture royalty? This movie is pig crap.

The story is bizarre and surreal, but not in a good "Treehouse of Horror" way. TV's greatest cast of supporting characters is wasted with one-liners and scan & pan crowd shots. New characters are introduced for no good reason. Certain jokes are pounded repeatedly, each time getting less funny. (Why does Matt Groening hate the government so much? Is he in tax trouble?) Plot developments are either (mostly) utterly predictable or (twice) utterly inexplicable. Any relevance to current events is stale and wit is hard to come by. Nothing about Iraq, terror, or politics; all subjects the TV show visits frequently with varying degrees of success. Here they didn't even try, unless you count litter in our lakes as a divisive political matter. "Commander cuckoo-bananas", the president himself, has here turned into a safe, alternate-universe version of reality.

The Simpsons has always been strongest when it tacks closest to reality by slightly twisting it and thereby revealing its strangeness. This movie does the opposite by creating strangeness and discarding reality altogether.

I'm awarding one star more than the minimum just for all the animators' hard work, utterly wasted by these writers. (I can see the Koreans muttering to themselves "what is the deal with the pig?" and "EPA Ospreys? huh?").

Two stars subtracted for plot. Just one simplistic story, no trademark interweaving of stories, not even a series of stories growing out of each other. Recyled, ham-handed, too outlandish, not outlandish enough.

Two more stars gone for characters; where are they? Sure, they are all there, milling about in the background, but the true pillar of strength of the Simpsons has been that its not just been about the Simpsons family! I don't want to see Maggie or Homer for the whole movie! Two more stars subtracted for setting. Alaska? domes? What? And the last two stars for hypocrisy, for the Simpsons creative team producing what they at their best once despised; easy, obvious, lowest common denominator humor. Most of the (perhaps three or four) funny moments blown in the previews. Not the slightest risk taken. Even the "environmental theme" is played about as safe as can be in the Inhofe era.

Not funny, not Simpsons quality (of any season's standard), not worth it.

Didn't feel right from the get-go

Author: Catlin Massier from Canada
28 July 2007

Hearing that a "Simpsons" movie was about to release got me excited, Altho I didn't think the Simpsons would be as gold if it were on TV, i was somewhat correct, if you've watched Simpsons for as long as me you should understand. It was quite funny, but the plot in the movie was something way to out of the ordinary, something that would be done on a regular Simpsons episode. The movie seemed more inclined to focus on the conflict rather that the characters to me. It was as funny as I think it could have been, and was somewhat of a disappointment for me. I think "Matt Groening" and his writing team could have done A lot better. It doesn't even seem like his material