IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 75: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

The Simpletons----- SNORE!

Author: howco from United States
8 August 2007

The run of the T.V. series has lasted longer than my marriage.

However watching this movie has left me feeling like the day I walked out of court and my divorce was final. Betrayed and taken for a ride.

It was nothing special. Nothing special at all. I equate this movie to the episode where homer burns down the house – only it lasts forever and is not even close to as funny.

The writers of this movie just used the same boring formula that they have for the last few years. The TV show has gone flat and downhill for sometime now. So I guess why shouldn't the movie be any different. Did they put any thought into this? Even this plot has been done on the TV show although not exactly the same way. Anyone recall when they moved the town when homer was sanitation commissioner? The show used to be good when it was well written, it's become a mundane TV show What really sucks is the story isn't even as good as the mundane TV show.

BORING!

20 years in the making? Maybe they should have waited another 20

Author: accoladenz from Australia
30 July 2007

This film was so far below average the English language has no words I can utilise to describe it. As a comedy, it lacks almost little to no comedic value. The excessive inclusion of all characters is something you would expect from an action movie loaded with A-List actors who under-perform. I can see why it was 20 years in the making and I am a huge The Simpsons fan. Short of a few mediocre jokes, I found this film to be almost a sell-out by Groening and Simon. I appreciate the fact they were creating the season at the same time, but I myself could've written a far better screenplay for this film based soley on my addiction and favorable desire to aspire to achieve anything near to Groening and the staff writers. All in all I think the film is about a 2-3/10. The animation was worthy of credit, but I associate my thinking with computer gaming and animation. A computer game can have the best graphics, the best voice-overs and the most popular production and marketing team behind it.... yet without a decent script and game play, games tend to flop. Which is what I have inevitably deduced The Simpsons Movie to be.... a flop. I am glad however that Groening and Simon have made a decent amount from this, Fox pay them nothing and 20 years of great hard work makes them deserve ALL of the royalties and publicity they are due. Please email me if you disagree. Accoladenz@hotmail.com

Extremely disappointing. Not up to the usual Simpsons standard

Author: camelot2302 from Germany
29 July 2007

When you watch the Simpsons, you know not to expect a life-changing earth-shattering event so I went into the cinema with my box of doughnuts, saying "doh!" to the cinema employees and settled back to watch what I thought would be a barrel of laughs. Now that it's over, my initial thought was "what the hell was that?"

Now before you say "ah, he's in Germany. They have no humour there", let me set the record straight by saying that I am British and the British sense of humour is the best in the world. We even "get" the Simpsons. But this was struggling for laughs from the get-go. When you have to introduce a pig as "Spider-Pig" then you know the movie is in trouble.

I think the problem is that the Simpsons is only really designed to be a 20 minute television episode. To stretch it to 90 minutes is really pushing it. The movie tries to be all things to all people by pushing in as many characters as possible and as many plots as possible. The sub-plots (such as Spider-Pig) are just plain stupid (even by Simpsons standards) and the producers couldn't even resist making a political statement by including Itchy (or was it Scratchy?) as President Hillary Clinton's Vice-President or making a dig at Alaska's dependency on the oil companies. They even had Lisa lampooning Al Gore by making an environmental speech called "An Irritating Truth".

The one moment that got the biggest laugh was US President Arnold Schwarzenegger who said to his aide "I was elected to lead, not to read!".

During the closing credits, Maggie utters her first word : "Sequel?". I certainly hope not.

Disappointing

Author: necher from Vienna, Austria
27 July 2007

I came into the cinema with a lot of expectations. After 90 unfunny minutes I came out saying that this was just as unfunny as all the recent episodes, although many people in the cinema laughed to whole time. There was only unfunny slapstick and predictable jokes. A few scenes made me laugh a bit, but the really good jokes were missing. Where are the good jokes from the old seasons? The trailer says, the film has been made in 20 years, but the jokes were probably invented in recent times. Anyway, anyone who loved the old seasons(say 1-9 maybe 10) will be disappointed; anyone who finds the recent seasons also funny will have a great time with this movie. I didn't.

This movie sucks!

Author: y2bbelsh from United Kingdom
31 July 2007

I have to say after eagerly awaiting the release of this movie, I sat down with my nephew and niece really looking forward to what was about to happen.

And half way through I hadn't laughed at all, my nephew and niece were asking when it finished cause they were bored. I have to say it was a major disappointment for myself. Don't get me wrong I love The Simpsons, and I always will, I just thought this could of been so much better.

The plot was very thin, you could see what was going to happen next all to easily.

For me the rave reviews this film is getting is way over the top, this is just an average cartoon.

8.8!!!! Are you serious????

Author: cag22 from United States
29 July 2007

I felt like I got punched in the heart after watching this movie. Throughout the film I was led on to believe that I was watching a classic (seasons 1-9) extended Simpsons episode. But then, as the story progressed, I realized that I was indeed duped by the easy outs the writers on this show have taken as of late. Rehashed episodes (Cape Feare, Bart's Comet) and rehashed scenes (the Carpenters from The Way We Were) Will make any die-hard fan want to puke in their mouth.

Shame on all of you who have been giving this film great marks. Over the past decade, Matt Groening has taken one of the funniest shows ever and turned it into a corporate cash cow. Were people's expectations for this film really this low that it could receive an 8.8 after 9000 votes!? I can go on about the film's shortcomings. The lack of allusive humor (a foundation for the Simpsons) was abominable. Burns, Apu, Principal Skinner were all in the movie for less than a minute combined.

I dare IMDb to post this review first.

this movie was awful

Author: azza_dowson from Australia
16 August 2007

i don't know who you people are or what you know about the Simpsons, but they utterly and fantastically DESTROYED the Simpsons as we knew them!

Yes the animation was improved compared to the television series, but who the in the world expected it to be the same?! the fact of the matter is the characters interactions were moderatley low, the ambient background extras were down and out the worst animated loops I've EVER seen (not even in the show do they do loops like that, seriously who hired these idiot animators)

did anyone else notice that they skipped from animating on 1's to like 4's for no reason at all?!

the plot, oh my god, whoever said that plot was good or original or inventive or just plain smart is a down out IDIOT! I have never seen such a generic, rushed and sloppy, thrown together plot in a movie for years. The Simpsons have had 20 years on the tele, how the hell didn't they think of a plot to do in that much time?! "hey bill wanna write the Simpsons movie and make it really good and funny?"

"No Ted, why don't we just rush it ad NO FUNNY jokes and make it about the town exploding, while we are at it why not just fill the advertisements with propaganda which makes people want to see it, and leave them totally unfulfilled?" "I like your thinking, you should work for the government"

Okay I covered Plot and Bad animation, oh yes profiles.

Since when did the Simpsons ever show Bart drinking alcohol?! HES 10 YEARS OLD what the hell! why don't we just throw in some hookers and blackjack!?

The main character that they destroyed was the main character Homer... Never in any kind of episode was Homer ever this selfish and self-centered, the writers must have been stuck and thought "i know! We can make Homer stupidly overly selfish and go on from there!" What were they thinking?!

throughout the entire movie i laughed possibly twice, once was at spider pig (always has been funny but i saw that on the adverts so it wasn't really too funny. and another time i cant remember)

I seriously considered crashing my car on the way home from the movie theatre so something interesting would happen.

L2P FOX 0/10

Very poor

Author: from Edinburgh
5 August 2007

If this was a new animated comedy from an unknown studio it might pass as decent. But it isn't, it is The Simpsons, probably the best TV programme over the past 15 years. So from those very high standards I'm afraid I have to rate it as very poor.

I just didn't like this film at all, as a comedy it failed, and surely that it what a comedy film must be judged on, does it make you laugh? I'm afraid The Simpsons didn't, and therefore fails.

What happened to all those other characters that make The Simpsons so good? Principle Skinner, Selma and Patti, Groundskeeper Willie, Barney, Mr Burns, Smithers, where were they all? I'm afraid this wasn't very good at all, and follows a number of disappointing blockbusters this summer.

I Felt Violated After Watching The Simpsons Movie.

Author: Jordan G from manchester, england
3 February 2008

It isn't how i remember them or want to remember them, i had to watch some old episodes afterwards just to put myself back at ease. It was almost like the whole of Springfield had been kidnapped and replaced by strangers, and on top of that a lot of the main characters barley even got a role in the movie. I knew it was going to be bad ever since i heard about its release, it was over-hyped and under written which is a really bad combination.

The most built up comedy scene was "spiderpig" or at least thats what everyone was talking about, i know Homer for his dry and sarcastic humour, which was rarely (if at all) seen in The Simpsons Movie. The Simpsons has always been seen as a series in which both adults and children alike can appreciate, which the movie didn't portray. Have you noticed how fast it has died?, it is barley even talked about now and i don't even have to question why. All i know is i'm going to forget it existed and stick with the episodes instead.

The Simpson's have truly lost their edge

Author: ntsci from canada
4 January 2008

To tell the truth I had low expectations about this movie. Movies made to cash in on the popularity of a TV show are almost always terrible.

The best joke comes just after the opening sequence where Homer complains about paying to watch a show that he could see at home for free... I always appreciate a show that makes fun of its own audience. After that.... downhill all the way.

The story is that the lake is polluted and Lisa runs a campaign to clean it up. Homer, steals a pig from Crusty thereby saving it from death (something one would think that Lisa would congratulate him for). He appears to be a loving pet owner, which is rather out of character because loving pet owners tend to also be loving parents.

Anyway, he saves the waste in a silo which Marg tells him to get rid of properly. Instead he dumps it in the lake. The pig waste tips the balance of nature and a mutated squirrel grows new eyes. The EPA comes in, gives President Swartzenegar 5 options, a dome is placed over the city, the Simpson's escape and go to Alaska, blah, blah, blah.

OK, Simpson writers. I have news for you. Pig waste is natural. Pig waste is less disgusting than typical dog waste. If used properly is GOOD for the environment (fertilizer); placed in a lake is certainly not an ideal solution, but it would not create a mutant squirrel. Get your environmental problems straight. Industrial waste, or nuclear waste (doesn't Homer work at a nuclear energy plant! Duh!) or even careless disposal of household clearer or batteries would have made a more realistic story that would of made a point about pollution. But pig waste is natural! Anyway, why wouldn't Homer, just dispose of the pig waste like any dog owner gets rid of dog waste (e.g., flush it down the toilet, or put it in the garbage, or let it sit on the lawn, or let the pig poop in the park; yuck); why would he collect it in a silo? After that stupid story, the movie does not get better, it goes downhill.

The Simpson's used to be a marvelously cynical satire on modern life. I find the show has really gone downhill in recent years; the jokes are getting rather old and lame and repetitious; and much of the slapstick is getting rather juvenile. But the show is still much much better than this movie.

There are funny jokes in the movie -- especially centered around how politicians make decisions (so I give it a 2 for that, rather than a 1), also the spider pig theme is rather catchy, but is also very pointless. Overall there are few jokes worth listening too.

On the whole this is a really bad movie; if you love the Simpson's, watch the show. Don't waste your money on this movie.