IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 75: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Simpsons I love you but its time

Author: BlueElementk from United States
28 July 2007

I've Been a Simpsons fan for longer than I can remember. With the exception of the most recent seasons, I have seen most of the episodes. But in my opinion Simpsons jumped the shark years ago, and after seeing this movie my feelings were vindicated. The jokes are outdated and the characters not as funny as they used to be. I think the moment that the South Park movie came out its been all down hill for that show. The Simpsons used to be so funny because it was the most controversial show on TV, they went places other shows wouldn't and couldn't. I was in a packed theater and I did not hear one person really laugh. I heard a couple of chuckles but nothing significant. I know it would be sad to see it go but every show has its time. I mean All in the Family just wouldn't work today. Could they just not dig under the bubble, I mean come on! I know it's a movie and a cartoon and were supposed to just believe but thats just an insult on my intelligence.

Nine bucks for this?

Author: legendaryunderdog from United States
2 August 2007

I just had a feeling.....I go to the movies for opening night of the Simpsons movie at 10 pm at night, the theater was practically bare, that told me something. Being a huge fan of the Simpsons TV show for years since my teenage days to my days as a 'bigger teenager who should be a professional adult by now" I must say I was disappointed, I expected the same cynicism, sarcasm and insane humor the TV show always provides but what I got was a watered down, dummied down attempt to glorify the Simnpsons Hollywood style. I was not impressed with this movie one bit, the sight gags were barely humorous to me (they have done better skits on the show). This movie would have been worth it if it was done on FOX TV as an hour and a half Simpsons TV special, that way I wouldn't have paid nine bucks to sit through it. Make your own assessment of what you think I'm just speaking from my heart. 5/10 should suffice.

A disgrace to one of the best loved TV pieces of all time

Author: (tom0385) from United Kingdom
3 August 2007

The Simpsons. A show, no, a TV revolution, loved by so many. I, like many other Simpsons fans have watched the shows demise over the past few years. The Simpons was never just a TV show for me, it was a representation of society, it was clever, it was witty, it was sarcastic, it was satirical, it was layered, it was 'real' - at least as real as an animated TV show can get.

I was hoping so dearly that the movie would capture some of what The Simpsons used to do for us.

My God. I don't even know where to start when describing this movie. I grew up with The Simpsons, it almost seems wrong to admit how awful this movie was. NO, I can't keep quiet, this movie was HORRIBLE.

It pains me to see reviews stating that "any real Simpsons fan will love this movie." What a load of tripe. Any REAL Simpsons fan will see this movie as the final nail in the coffin of a masterpiece that should have gone out on top, a disgrace to one of the best loved TV comedy pieces of all time.

This movie was targeted at morons who have no idea what humour is. The kind of idiots who'll find terrible slapstick, forced 1 liners and bumbling fools falling over 'hilarious'. Dumbed down would be an understatement. Even the potentially humorous moments in the movie were ruined by overly long build-ups and predictable executions. Any intelligence and satire that the Simpsons used to portray is nowhere to be found in this pile of cheap hogwash.

This movie is NOT The Simpsons, in the same way recent TV seasons aren't either. At least the TV series will occasionally pay homage to its former self. It may have the same yellow characters on screen, but this may as well have been a completely new animated family (and the family is the only thing you'll see on screen throughout the movie) - oh wait, that wouldn't sell.

The entire movie follows the family around, most of which pointlessly takes place outside of Springfield. There is ONE 'story' going on throughout the 90 minutes, rather than two or more intertwining with each other like on the show (and I firmly believe this was one of the shows most valuable characteristics). The story itself is atrocious. It contains no solid or believable plot, utterly forced jokes and things we've seen done in the show a dozen times, void of any of the shows charm.

The sub-plots in the movie fail to even materialise. "Lisa and Colin", "Bart and Flanders"? These were impossibly frustrating to watch and went nowhere.

It seems the movie has tried to copy Family Guy and failed miserably. Instead of seeing Homer as a cute, unlucky, lovable character, he's been turned into a vulgar, loud-mouthed yob. Bart's no longer a brat – he's been turned into some kind of emotional, frustrated kid who isn't happy with his father. What on Earth? Family Guy on the other hand knows what it is – it IS crude and vulgar, but it does it well. The Simpsons, though, seems to be lost and has no idea of its own identity.

It's a real shame that The Simpsons has had to end up where it is. As far as I, a real Simpsons fan, am concerned, this movie isn't part of the Simpsons I love, and I'll always remember the show for what it was and represented to me.

Prepare for Disappointment Unless You Like Seasons 10-18

Author: VincentVega89 from United States
28 July 2007

For those of you who have hated the last several seasons of The Simpsons but were hoping that this film would be great due to the pedigree of talent that is found in its credits, I am sad to inform you that this film will disappoint you. To be fair, compared to the rubbish they have fed us in the last 8 seasons, the film was somewhat watchable. A few jokes in the beginning are very funny, and overall the opening to the film is solid. However, at the point of Homer meeting his beloved Spider Pig (which everyone in the theater loved except for me), the film transitions into a poorly crafted, overwrought melodrama that is mildly painful to sit through. You get a mixture of pathetic melancholy material and lackluster gags - it is awful, and I don't mean awful entertaining. The biggest problem with the film is that its creators forgot that The Simpsons is a comedy, not an animated soap opera.

I've been watching the show since I was born. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire was aired on December 17, 1989, when I was nearly a month old. So this show basically grew up with me, and I consider Seasons 3-9 of the Simpsons to be the greatest works the television industry has ever created. Even though I can't stand watching the new episodes, I was still somewhat excited and mildly optimistic about this film. It could have been worse, but that's faint praise. If you're a long-time fan disillusioned with the show as I am, I recommend just watching the first 30 minutes of the movie and then hopping to something better. You won't be missing much. As Moleman said, "you cost me (86) minutes of my life and I want them back!"

Don't be tempted in....

Author: tom-hickman from United Kingdom
30 April 2008

When the long anticipated Simpson's movie came out i couldn't wait... What a letdown.

The jokes were just lame and too me it felt like an episode that was 3x longer. It seemed that after the first 10 minutes of the film they filled it with random stuff. And the plot is ridiculous (I wont give it away though)

Watch a series 2 episode then watch this. The old series didn't rely on lame slapstick jokes but this did.

If you really want to watch it, rent it first. And don't be sucked in by the reviews.

Disappointing, why did they have to make it?

Author: lloyd-constable-1 from United Kingdom
17 August 2007

Not much to say really, weak story line, all the funny bits had been repeatedly advertised on television, therefore when you saw them in the film it was just 'luke warm funny'. It is such a shame, as I am a massive fan of the TV series, why did they feel they had to make this film? I didn't like how the characters personalities seemed to be different too. Basically I found this film to be a really big disappointment. It is such a shame as The Simpsons is such an amazing sitcom! Ooh, actually the best bit of the film was Ralph in the 20th Century Fox opening credits, which now makes me thing they should make a film based on him being the central character/hero of the film. That would be "some good tooting boy" - what do you think?

Poor

Author: sammyocarr from United Kingdom
13 August 2007

The Simpsons Movie, Summer 2007. Watching the trailer i was excited, the thought of homer causing Springfield trouble and having to fix it would be great, lots of interesting characters like Moe, Grounds Kepper Willy, and Mr Burns, looked to be involved and a wild homer scheming film would follow.

The opening with Bart and Homer was excellent, the angered mob was funny which included Abe,,, However, the concept was poor and the Simpsons family escaping from Springfield was Dire the film quality Plummeted and reached it's true low when homer was in Alaska! The short film meant a short and boring story. it went strange and took a risky turn when homer was with the 'inuit' woman... the ending was very weak and unimpressive.

Now here's how a successful Simpson's movie should go,,,Same beginning...But rather than escape Springfield Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie should unite and attempt to bring the town round to their side and scheme together to break out of the bubble, for instance, Moes Bar could play part as headquarters, Burns could fund it and provide power, Apu would become supplies...Etc...Etc

These are ideas and just my thoughts. i think it would be much better than the escaping, as it meant main and interesting characters were cut out, Sideshow bob should be involved. The secondary running story of Bart, homer, and Ned Flanders could still be included but would be better and more interesting if they stayed In Springield Great animation and drawing (some scenes weak however) and the comedy was average. The usually varied comedy including Subtle Clever Adult humour, and obvious children's gags, was weak, dull and monotone.

I was very disappointed and was almost tempted to walk out of the cinema...

i was pleased about the usual beginning and unorthodox credits including pictures of the characters... I was pleased to here the usual theme tune and opening scenes.

it should of lasted much longer, and include all the ideas i've given. this would create a film worthy of the Simpson's title. i believe the writers were below par and Poor. It was an embarrassment to the Simpson's series.

Sam Carr

Disappointing and without laughs

Author: ThePlatteRiverKid from United States
13 August 2007

As a longtime fan of the Simpsons, I myself eagerly waited for the movie to come out (as early as the mid-90's when the Itchy and Scratchy Movie episode came out {whose ideals I felt would make their way into an eventual Simpsons movie}). Over the years, it had seemed unfortunate that the quality of the show had been declining. Jokes that lacked luster and a feeling that the show was attempting to compete with a bit lower brow show, Family Guy, at a level that it didn't seem to ever belong. I waited with anticipation hoping that the movie would rise out of the past few seasons and be a laugh riot.

It started out well enough with an Ichy and Scratchy short but failed to even bring out a laugh during the entire movie, few others in the theater were laughing either. A few moments brought about smiles but for a Simpsons movie it seemed promised that a tour de force of the different characters and perhaps a few more guest stars would be involved in the plot. Maybe I was expecting too much but after more than a decade it seemed that the movie was a big letdown. Weak humor, a mediocre plot and a "Spider Pig" that overall brought little to the comedy of the movie (it seemed like it could have been better written into a 30 minute show) made this movie almost a waste of already huge theater prices. It wasn't plotted well enough to provide many inside jokes for the long-time fans (although Springfield Gorge comes up) but it was also difficult to newcomers to really understand the outside characters and their personalities. Wait for the DVD I'd say.

A fan of most more mature-themed animation comedies (Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, The Venture Brothers and Aqua Teen Hunger Force {Whose movie I haven't seen yet}); The Simpsons had been an all and out favorite for many years but after seeing the movie, it clinches a thought that perhaps the end of the series wouldn't be as horrible as it may have seemed a few years ago. As a South Park episode once mentioned "The Simpsons have done everything" and that seems to be the case.

It was a good attempt that was reflective of the past few seasons if you're into that sort of thing but for us fans of the 90's Simpsons it was just a disappointment. Thanks for many years of laughs Simpsons, but you're just too worn out.

Simpsons Movie = WORST Simpsons EVER

Author: The_Greek_Legend from Australia
28 July 2007

I am one of the many fans who have seen every Simpsons’ episodes (with the exception of a few new ones) and believe the old episodes (up until ~2002) are significantly better than the new ones. Rumours of a Simpsons movie had been around since the mid 90s, and ever since then I could not wait to see it. Now that I have seen it, I regret doing so. I believe the movie is a disgrace and should have never been made. Instead of being created with the production value of the classics, what was delivered was a lengthened, stupefied version of a new episode.

The movie contains none of the classic approaches to comedy, such as when Homer is sent under water to find the Lock Ness Monster and turns out to be playing an arcade game (episode: Monty Can't Buy Me Love); or when Homer tackles Mr. Bont (please research 'Mr Bont' before you post you’re foreseeable predictable ignoramus remarks) resulting in his death (episode: You Only Move Twice). Both of these episodes contain random comedy scenes that are within the flow and storyline of the episode. It is almost like there is nothing random actually going on.

The movie uses an approach to random comedy that is more reminiscent of a bad rip off of ‘Family Guy’. There are some references to past episodes, and a couple of classic Simpsons comedy scenes, but nowhere near enough to redeem the rather lacking story line. I’m still unsure if I like the animation used (i.e. the shadows and closer to 3D shading). For these reasons I have rated the Simpsons Movie low and don’t ever want to see it again.

I think i might be the minority on this one....

Author: jimmydavis3 from United States
1 August 2007

I don't feel like the movie lived up to the hype. I'm really stoked to hear that many thought it was good, I want nothing more than to see one of my favorite shows of all time be successful. If you are a true Simpsons fan, this movie left a lot to be desired. There were a few moments that were pretty awesome. Spiderpig = genius! But what the hell happened to him???? He just disappeared! The key secondary characters that have rounded the show out over the years were nearly non-existent. Hardly any Skinner, Moe, Barney, Ralph, Milhouse, etc. Why weren't they more involved? The plot and storyline was pretty random, didn't make sense, and for lack of a better word was "eh". The President should have been McBain. Could have fit with the show a little better. One of the main characters in the movie (the dude that had Hank Scorpios voice, Secretary of State maybe?) was NEVER featured in the show. I just feel like they should have stuck to the plot lines that brought them to the success of seasons 2-9ish. Maybe bring back Conan?