IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 77: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

the Simpson's a shadow of itself

Author: oliver simpson from United Kingdom
6 August 2007

the Simpson's once a brilliant show with genius comedy now a ghost and shadow of itself i mean who wrote this movie which i thought was a disgrace and so undeserving to bear the name of the Simpsons the 11 best writers they had (half good like Mirken, Vitti, Meyer Reiss and jean) and half rubbish "the newer writers" (mike Scully executive producer of the show from season 9-12 Matt Selman and Ian Maxtone-Graham the tall one who never even watched the show before joining) i think not. They have missed Greg Daniels (who is still doing king of the hill) Bill Oakly and Josh Weinstein and also Conan O'Brien since they left and should have got them back for the movie plus i really miss Phil Hartmen who did Troy McClure and Lional Hutz they have really missed him since he died.

now on to the movie the plot was rubbish and lazy they used bits from old episode's which hardcore fans will recognise and the use of secondary characters was shocking in my book how can you have a Simpson's movie without Mr Burns doing something evil and other good characters like Barny, Moe, Wiggen and Apu having a part in the plot as they are the funniest characters on the show along with homer who is so unfunny apart from the beginning when pointing at you the true sucker paying £6 to watch this rubbish Marge was nag,nag,nag for gods sag Homer hit her that would amuse me Lisa bring boring boring get a life you geek and Bart are you on drugs wheres the rebel Bart from the early seasons who was at least half funny then and not trying to suck up to Ned Flanders who has been rubbish since they killed off Maulde Flanders

to sum this up Matt Groening if your reading this which you are not stop being in denial about the shows decline and do the decent thing and end the show before it slips any further down the line

I think i might be the minority on this one....

Author: jimmydavis3 from United States
1 August 2007

I don't feel like the movie lived up to the hype. I'm really stoked to hear that many thought it was good, I want nothing more than to see one of my favorite shows of all time be successful. If you are a true Simpsons fan, this movie left a lot to be desired. There were a few moments that were pretty awesome. Spiderpig = genius! But what the hell happened to him???? He just disappeared! The key secondary characters that have rounded the show out over the years were nearly non-existent. Hardly any Skinner, Moe, Barney, Ralph, Milhouse, etc. Why weren't they more involved? The plot and storyline was pretty random, didn't make sense, and for lack of a better word was "eh". The President should have been McBain. Could have fit with the show a little better. One of the main characters in the movie (the dude that had Hank Scorpios voice, Secretary of State maybe?) was NEVER featured in the show. I just feel like they should have stuck to the plot lines that brought them to the success of seasons 2-9ish. Maybe bring back Conan?

Disappointing. Verges on awful, which it pains me to say.

Author: tanukibear from Scotland
6 August 2007

Spider Pig. I thought to myself as I watched the trailer: "That seems funny". By the time I'd even reached the theatre I had seen that damn pig ad nauseum. So when it came to actually viewing this movie, I couldn't bring myself to laugh. Spider Pig also disappears halfway through with no explanation. I suppose it's better than some characters which got no screen time / lines at all. Sideshow Bob? Patty and Selma? I miss their hilarious asides of seasons long, long gone. This movie seemed like a contest between all the characters to see which one was the most stupid. The underlying theme of 'saving planet earth' is so typical of this era. Pity it will seem dated no matter what the outcome of climate change is. Don't get me wrong, people were laughing. I wasn't, and the people I was with weren't either. Where was the subtlety? The joke of "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" was embarrassing because it wasted too much time for such a cheap, easy joke.

To tell the truth, I was half-expecting this outcome. Critics and audiences lap it up not because they couldn't help laughing. No. Rather, because they either wanted to. Or even felt they had to.

Horrendous

Author: segamon from United States
4 September 2007

I can remember so many episodes of The Simpsons that made me laugh. Just as many episodes were also thought-provoking. Others were just plain fun to watch. Still more episodes had a good moral to the story. I consider myself a Simpsons fan from seasons 1 through approximately 10 (1989-1999). After these seasons, I slowly stopped watching the series due to it not being funny anymore. The laughing, thought-provoking, fun to watch, good morals of The Simpsons I knew were all gone. What came in it's place was slap-stick, sexual and political humor, direct personal attacks upon celebrities and politicians (aka ad hominem) and a complete lack of morality.

Come The Simpsons movie. When I first saw the movie poster at a theater, I was against seeing the movie. Then, when the movie did come out, my fiancé' convinced me to see it and I actually became a little excited about it hoping that some of the old Simpsons would be in the movie (at least a little bit of it, please!). Even with my low expectations, the movie was even lower. The humor mirrored the current style in the episodes, there were no hand-drawn animations, jokes from the seasons I enjoyed were redone but completely disgraced and I certainly wasn't having a good time. I tolerated it and I still enjoyed the air conditioning of the theater, but that's about it. There were a few parts of the movie that were... eh, OK, I guess...

So, if you are a Simpson fan similar to me, then I would suggest that you not watch the movie. If you enjoy the current Simpsons, then this would be for you. I still don't understand why so many people enjoy this movie, all of the humor is so shallow. Oh well.

The Simpletons----- SNORE!

Author: howco from United States
8 August 2007

The run of the T.V. series has lasted longer than my marriage.

However watching this movie has left me feeling like the day I walked out of court and my divorce was final. Betrayed and taken for a ride.

It was nothing special. Nothing special at all. I equate this movie to the episode where homer burns down the house – only it lasts forever and is not even close to as funny.

The writers of this movie just used the same boring formula that they have for the last few years. The TV show has gone flat and downhill for sometime now. So I guess why shouldn't the movie be any different. Did they put any thought into this? Even this plot has been done on the TV show although not exactly the same way. Anyone recall when they moved the town when homer was sanitation commissioner? The show used to be good when it was well written, it's become a mundane TV show What really sucks is the story isn't even as good as the mundane TV show.

BORING!

They're STILL dragging out this desperation?

Author: Chimera-5 from Last House on the Left
21 August 2007

Wow, could a show possibly be on more borrowed time life support?? It's funny that SOOOOOO many people on here say that this film should have come out ten years ago, when it actually would have mattered and could have possibly been funny, because I was thinking the exact same thing! What does that tell you? People have too much emotional attachment to the show to admit that this film is awful. They mindrape themselves into thinking anything and everything with the Simpsons' faces plastered on it is good, much like female fans of Johnny Depp do. If the film was 90 minutes of the Simpsons sitting on the couch and blinking their eyes, they would say "oMg BeSt MoViE eVeR!". How pathetic! Yes, it's been said already many times, but I'm thinking it so I'm saying it; it is straight up a 90 minute episode of the godawful past 11 seasons. Cheap and forced jokes, bowel movement references, lots of obnoxious loud noises, and just plain lame, unfunny nonsense. Topical humor that will be outdated in a few short years, pointless celebrity cameos and references, and anything else catering to the modern pulse. Too bad the generation after us won't relate to any of the humor so that damns the film into not being timeless at all! Hmm, how many borrowed clichés from the show did we see? Marge threatening to leave Homer, Springfield on the brink of disaster, an angry mob, the Simpsons on the run, Homer falling in love with something not human, discord between Bart and Homer, Lisa falling for a boy... I doubt that's all! Desperation has replaced, dignity, guys. Force yourself to like this all you want, you're just embarrassing yourselves! Another poster referred to the type of people who put everything else on hold (like cutting their plans short) on Sundays to watch the horrible new episodes of the show as "Simpsons zombies". I'll take it a step further and say "Simpsons martyrs", as the word martyr is more jarring to Western culture with this so-called "war on terror". Seriously, why not martyr yourselves for a cause more worthwhile, like say stopping the clubbing of baby seals or the shoddiness of Jaguar since Ford took over?

All you die-hard fans who force yourselves to continue liking this misery should go and form Simpsonsbollah!

Terrible

Author: MidnightWarrior from Texas
30 July 2007

Yes, that's right. This film is terrible. When I first saw the trailers, I was very reluctant to go see this film.

In my opinion, the best episodes of the Simpsons were the ones either written or produced by Conan O'Brien. These episodes were the earliest and were some of the first Simpsons episodes after the Tracey Ulman show. The ones that followed were funny, smart and still good.

I stopped watching The Simpsons television show after 2001 because, again in my opinion, they'd run out of new ideas and were making these newer episodes for the sake of making episodes. The humor was very dry and bland.

What made me decide to watch this film was all the raving on IMDb on how great and how funny this new movie is. Boy was I wrong to listen to the fellow IMDb posters and watch this.

***SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT***

I agree with Homer when, not even five minutes into the film, he looks at the screen and points straight to the audience and says something to the tune of, "All you people are suckers. You PAID to watch this film".

***END SPOILER***

Yeah. It's THAT bad. The racist black joke wasn't taken very well in the theater I was in. The audience (myself included) actually GROANED.

There were a few instances within this film that were somewhat funny, but it seemed to take an enormous amount of set up to execute the joke. What's left is the audience feeling that the script writers are trying excessively way too hard to force a laugh and make this funny.

The makers had gobs of potential to make this film SO good, but they bombed it completely. The feel of this film is nothing more than an over extended episode with meaningless, pointless direction.

It's like we keep seeing Homer on the big screen and then it's like, "oh okay. So what now? Who cares?" Don't pay to see this film. Don't even wait for it to come out on DVD. Wait until it's on television and then watch it.

Extremely disappointing. Not up to the usual Simpsons standard

Author: camelot2302 from Germany
29 July 2007

When you watch the Simpsons, you know not to expect a life-changing earth-shattering event so I went into the cinema with my box of doughnuts, saying "doh!" to the cinema employees and settled back to watch what I thought would be a barrel of laughs. Now that it's over, my initial thought was "what the hell was that?"

Now before you say "ah, he's in Germany. They have no humour there", let me set the record straight by saying that I am British and the British sense of humour is the best in the world. We even "get" the Simpsons. But this was struggling for laughs from the get-go. When you have to introduce a pig as "Spider-Pig" then you know the movie is in trouble.

I think the problem is that the Simpsons is only really designed to be a 20 minute television episode. To stretch it to 90 minutes is really pushing it. The movie tries to be all things to all people by pushing in as many characters as possible and as many plots as possible. The sub-plots (such as Spider-Pig) are just plain stupid (even by Simpsons standards) and the producers couldn't even resist making a political statement by including Itchy (or was it Scratchy?) as President Hillary Clinton's Vice-President or making a dig at Alaska's dependency on the oil companies. They even had Lisa lampooning Al Gore by making an environmental speech called "An Irritating Truth".

The one moment that got the biggest laugh was US President Arnold Schwarzenegger who said to his aide "I was elected to lead, not to read!".

During the closing credits, Maggie utters her first word : "Sequel?". I certainly hope not.

This movie sucks!

Author: y2bbelsh from United Kingdom
31 July 2007

I have to say after eagerly awaiting the release of this movie, I sat down with my nephew and niece really looking forward to what was about to happen.

And half way through I hadn't laughed at all, my nephew and niece were asking when it finished cause they were bored. I have to say it was a major disappointment for myself. Don't get me wrong I love The Simpsons, and I always will, I just thought this could of been so much better.

The plot was very thin, you could see what was going to happen next all to easily.

For me the rave reviews this film is getting is way over the top, this is just an average cartoon.

Don't be tempted in....

Author: tom-hickman from United Kingdom
30 April 2008

When the long anticipated Simpson's movie came out i couldn't wait... What a letdown.

The jokes were just lame and too me it felt like an episode that was 3x longer. It seemed that after the first 10 minutes of the film they filled it with random stuff. And the plot is ridiculous (I wont give it away though)

Watch a series 2 episode then watch this. The old series didn't rely on lame slapstick jokes but this did.

If you really want to watch it, rent it first. And don't be sucked in by the reviews.