IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 74: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

An incendiary, hilarious, and ultimately anticlimactic ride

Author: Jonny_Numb from Hellfudge, Pennsylvania
3 August 2007

For all the creativity crammed into one half-hour episode of "The Simpsons," I am probably not alone in saying that the show's creative apex bottomed out when it stopped being a "funny sitcom" and became a "cultural phenomenon"--it's been years since I've sat in front of the TV on a Sunday night with the primary interest of being wowed by Matt Groening's brainchild. When the show first began in 1989, the Bart-friendly T-shirts and pins seemed borne out of uncertainty over the show's staying power; these days, with the show's position in the TV canon firmly established, your Xbox games are designed for little more than feeding the "Simpsons" cash cow. That being said, I revisit the show every once in a while (via taped weekday-afternoon reruns of earlier seasons), and very much appreciate it--the sense of satire is sly, incendiary, and often very funny. Some critics cite horror films as being able to express social concerns that would be difficult to convey in other genres; "The Simpsons" would be another arena (and easily the more critically acclaimed).

So, after years of hype, this cultural phenomenon has spawned a film (aptly titled "The Simpsons Movie") that most fans will no doubt consider 'belated.' As a laid-back viewer with an appreciation of the show, the end result is frequently "LOL" hilarious, but not very endearing (honestly, I had forgotten most of the gags by the time I was out of the theater and walking to my car). The best I can say is, "it's like a really good episode of the TV show" rather than "a great film," though I guess that's complimentary enough. I will pick up the DVD once it's released, and be reminded all over of why the film succeeded in its primary goal of clever laughs.

It begins with an excellent jab at the film's own existence, courtesy of Homer ("Why pay for something we can watch on TV for free?" indeed!), then delves into a plot that is as incendiary as anything the yellow-tinged family has tackled: an environmental crisis strikes Springfield when Homer dumps a silo a pig feces in a lake that's been recently de-contaminated, inspiring outrage from the citizens and the government (headed by President Schwarzenegger, though I kept thinking "President McBain"), whose EPA liaison (voiced by Albert Brooks, who also guest-voiced the similar "Hal Scorpio" years ago) covers the contaminated city in a huge Plexiglas dome. Before you can say "Al Gore eats yellow snow," the Simpsons escape through a literal sinkhole and make tracks for Alaska as renegades from the law, only to find themselves returning to rescue their idyllic American home.

Which ultimately isn't much different than what you would find in an average episode of "The Simpsons." This is a film that knows its audience, but also successfully provides an initiation for those who (for some strange reason) have never seen the show. The animation is fluid, colorful, and uber-glossy, and the writing is on par with the better episodes (the mantra remains "anything goes" in "Simpson"-world); some intriguing character twists aside, the film overall neither exceeds nor diminishes the expectations of those who expect everything and those who expect nothing. It's a fun summer film, but not an outstanding blockbuster of endearing quality...you'll laugh heartily and maybe feel moved, but the relatively short running time is both a blessing and a curse--while you will be sufficiently guffawed-out by the end credits, "The Simpsons Movie" leaves a viewer yearning for more. I suppose that's as good an indication as any to go back to the tapes.

I've seen better episodes...

Author: porkchopsjar-1 from Canada
9 August 2007

Okay. I consider myself a die-hard Simpsons junkie, ever since I got cheesed off that they interrupted an episode (the one where Mr Burns hits Bart with his car, as I recall) with the news that the first Persian Gulf war had started. I'm also apparently one of the few people who doesn't think that the show sucks now, though I do agree it's not as consistent since about season 8 or so. Really, there are only maybe a dozen episodes or so that I truly detest. Unfortunately, if "The Simpsons Movie" was an episode of the TV show, it would probably make #13 on my list. The plot -evil EPA puts Springfield under a dome because of the toxicity of its lake- was just ridiculous. Homer and Marge having marital difficulties...sorry, that's been done just about to death. Ah, yes, Homer. In "TSM" Homer is at his quintessential moronic worst pretty much for the duration (his antics of adopting a pig -against the family's wishes- and dumping the piggy poop in the lake causing the pollution and aforementioned EPA reaction)to the point where you just want to shoot him...and I love Homer; can forgive him almost anything! But in the movie his stunts are just annoying, and that is my biggest complaint. Sure, there's a good amount of typical Simpsons political tweaking (such as Lisa's "An Irritating Truth" seminar, an obvious parody of Al Gore) but been as the whole premise of the plot is so over the top I found myself merely smirking rather than LMAO, which is my usual response to the subversive humour found on the show. I understand the producers brought together the best of the show's writers to write the movie- could have fooled me. And, considering that they probably had a big enough budget I noticed more then a few lapses in the animation, especially in the scenes where the whole town of Springfield has formed (yet another) lynch mob to go after Homer: for a few brief seconds you can tell that it is CGI 3D rather than normal animation. I found myself going "Tsk, tsk" at this shabby production. All told, I was very disappointed. Granted, I was not expecting "Last Exit To Springfield" caliber greatness with the Simpsons movie (I think we all knew better than that) but I was expecting it to be better than it was, and ultimately I'd be tempted to put the final product in the ballpark of "The Principal And The Pauper", which even the show's writers and voice actors consider one of the worst episodes. In the end, I'd say "The Simpsons Movie" is worth seeing once, but I can only hope that they do better with the inevitable "Simpsons Movie II".

the Simpson's a shadow of itself

Author: oliver simpson from United Kingdom
6 August 2007

the Simpson's once a brilliant show with genius comedy now a ghost and shadow of itself i mean who wrote this movie which i thought was a disgrace and so undeserving to bear the name of the Simpsons the 11 best writers they had (half good like Mirken, Vitti, Meyer Reiss and jean) and half rubbish "the newer writers" (mike Scully executive producer of the show from season 9-12 Matt Selman and Ian Maxtone-Graham the tall one who never even watched the show before joining) i think not. They have missed Greg Daniels (who is still doing king of the hill) Bill Oakly and Josh Weinstein and also Conan O'Brien since they left and should have got them back for the movie plus i really miss Phil Hartmen who did Troy McClure and Lional Hutz they have really missed him since he died.

now on to the movie the plot was rubbish and lazy they used bits from old episode's which hardcore fans will recognise and the use of secondary characters was shocking in my book how can you have a Simpson's movie without Mr Burns doing something evil and other good characters like Barny, Moe, Wiggen and Apu having a part in the plot as they are the funniest characters on the show along with homer who is so unfunny apart from the beginning when pointing at you the true sucker paying £6 to watch this rubbish Marge was nag,nag,nag for gods sag Homer hit her that would amuse me Lisa bring boring boring get a life you geek and Bart are you on drugs wheres the rebel Bart from the early seasons who was at least half funny then and not trying to suck up to Ned Flanders who has been rubbish since they killed off Maulde Flanders

to sum this up Matt Groening if your reading this which you are not stop being in denial about the shows decline and do the decent thing and end the show before it slips any further down the line

Disappointing. Verges on awful, which it pains me to say.

Author: tanukibear from Scotland
6 August 2007

Spider Pig. I thought to myself as I watched the trailer: "That seems funny". By the time I'd even reached the theatre I had seen that damn pig ad nauseum. So when it came to actually viewing this movie, I couldn't bring myself to laugh. Spider Pig also disappears halfway through with no explanation. I suppose it's better than some characters which got no screen time / lines at all. Sideshow Bob? Patty and Selma? I miss their hilarious asides of seasons long, long gone. This movie seemed like a contest between all the characters to see which one was the most stupid. The underlying theme of 'saving planet earth' is so typical of this era. Pity it will seem dated no matter what the outcome of climate change is. Don't get me wrong, people were laughing. I wasn't, and the people I was with weren't either. Where was the subtlety? The joke of "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" was embarrassing because it wasted too much time for such a cheap, easy joke.

To tell the truth, I was half-expecting this outcome. Critics and audiences lap it up not because they couldn't help laughing. No. Rather, because they either wanted to. Or even felt they had to.

Horrendous

Author: segamon from United States
4 September 2007

I can remember so many episodes of The Simpsons that made me laugh. Just as many episodes were also thought-provoking. Others were just plain fun to watch. Still more episodes had a good moral to the story. I consider myself a Simpsons fan from seasons 1 through approximately 10 (1989-1999). After these seasons, I slowly stopped watching the series due to it not being funny anymore. The laughing, thought-provoking, fun to watch, good morals of The Simpsons I knew were all gone. What came in it's place was slap-stick, sexual and political humor, direct personal attacks upon celebrities and politicians (aka ad hominem) and a complete lack of morality.

Come The Simpsons movie. When I first saw the movie poster at a theater, I was against seeing the movie. Then, when the movie did come out, my fiancé' convinced me to see it and I actually became a little excited about it hoping that some of the old Simpsons would be in the movie (at least a little bit of it, please!). Even with my low expectations, the movie was even lower. The humor mirrored the current style in the episodes, there were no hand-drawn animations, jokes from the seasons I enjoyed were redone but completely disgraced and I certainly wasn't having a good time. I tolerated it and I still enjoyed the air conditioning of the theater, but that's about it. There were a few parts of the movie that were... eh, OK, I guess...

So, if you are a Simpson fan similar to me, then I would suggest that you not watch the movie. If you enjoy the current Simpsons, then this would be for you. I still don't understand why so many people enjoy this movie, all of the humor is so shallow. Oh well.

this movie sucked!!!!!!

Author: damion schiralli from United States
16 August 2007

This movie was so unbelievably bad I couldn't even watch it without thinking how much respect I had lost for the writers who I loved. That is until they wrote this garbage. Sure, there were some funny parts and I'm all about taking shots at religion, but the first ten minutes do not represent what this movie actually is. What this movie actually is is a desperate attempt at a fifth season show that turned out to be just another crappy new episode. this movie disappointed me for a reason that i am sure other fans are equally as disappointed. It didn't have the Simpson charm. This movie was made for any teenager who wants to go to the movies to get crappy humor you get from family guy(possibly the worst show of the generation)and to leave feeling satisfied. As a die hard fan of the show(which I can assure you i am) this movie did not hold a candle to the first ten years of the series. I'll go down the list of things that make the series great but for some unknown reason the writers kept out of the movie. 1.Principal Skinner. 2.dangerous Krusty merchandise. 3.gay jokes about smithers. 4.stories that actually came from the hearts of the writers. 5.homer getting drunk. 6.patty and Selma, and if homer screws up like he does in this movie, they are the two people who absolutely need to be there. 7.i am not 100% sure about this but i'm don't think homer even says mmmmm... followed by a food. The political commentary was so bad. i don't even know what point they were trying to get across. choosing the EPA as the villain was a huge srike-out for the writers. especially when the obvious choice to use sideshow bob was(for lack of a better word)OBVIOUS. it would have been so much more simpsonsy. the shots they took at the government were just directed at kids who hate the government but don't know why they hate the government. is it just me or was president schwartzegger just stupid? the shots at the government could have been way smarter if they just put George W. in the movie. or, to be loyal to the show, made it Rainer wolf castle. by putting in green day, Hillary Clinton, and an inconvenient truth parody, the timeless quality of the movie is destroyed. you can look at it and tell exactly when it was made, whereas the earlier episodes can be showed at any time and they would be as funny as they were at air-date. by putting in new characters that SUCKED like Lisa's boyfriend, and cargill, they needed to make room by taking out characters who make the show awesome. raunchy aspects like Bart's penis, homer's middle fingers and Otto smoking pot made the characters just not seem like themselves. by the way, Bart's subplot with Flanders was bull plop. it was just so NOT Bart. Marge's tape was so predictable. her and homer have been on this merry-go-round of lies so many times before, you know how its going to end, so why go through the charade over and over. ALSO, i'll have a hard time saying it but there was one word that made me so mad i wanted to rip my theater seat out of the ground and throw it at the wall.....sequel?

They're STILL dragging out this desperation?

Author: Chimera-5 from Last House on the Left
21 August 2007

Wow, could a show possibly be on more borrowed time life support?? It's funny that SOOOOOO many people on here say that this film should have come out ten years ago, when it actually would have mattered and could have possibly been funny, because I was thinking the exact same thing! What does that tell you? People have too much emotional attachment to the show to admit that this film is awful. They mindrape themselves into thinking anything and everything with the Simpsons' faces plastered on it is good, much like female fans of Johnny Depp do. If the film was 90 minutes of the Simpsons sitting on the couch and blinking their eyes, they would say "oMg BeSt MoViE eVeR!". How pathetic! Yes, it's been said already many times, but I'm thinking it so I'm saying it; it is straight up a 90 minute episode of the godawful past 11 seasons. Cheap and forced jokes, bowel movement references, lots of obnoxious loud noises, and just plain lame, unfunny nonsense. Topical humor that will be outdated in a few short years, pointless celebrity cameos and references, and anything else catering to the modern pulse. Too bad the generation after us won't relate to any of the humor so that damns the film into not being timeless at all! Hmm, how many borrowed clichés from the show did we see? Marge threatening to leave Homer, Springfield on the brink of disaster, an angry mob, the Simpsons on the run, Homer falling in love with something not human, discord between Bart and Homer, Lisa falling for a boy... I doubt that's all! Desperation has replaced, dignity, guys. Force yourself to like this all you want, you're just embarrassing yourselves! Another poster referred to the type of people who put everything else on hold (like cutting their plans short) on Sundays to watch the horrible new episodes of the show as "Simpsons zombies". I'll take it a step further and say "Simpsons martyrs", as the word martyr is more jarring to Western culture with this so-called "war on terror". Seriously, why not martyr yourselves for a cause more worthwhile, like say stopping the clubbing of baby seals or the shoddiness of Jaguar since Ford took over?

All you die-hard fans who force yourselves to continue liking this misery should go and form Simpsonsbollah!

That's not my Simpsons! That's not my Simpsons!!!

Author: blakepatrick91 from Brisbane, Australia
11 November 2007

I never thought the television series would have strayed so far away from itself, but The Simpsons Movie goes to prove it has. I have a feeling that deep down inside the producers of this film somewhat knew they were going to make a terrible film that would sweep the box offices pronto, and it did. 74 million on the opening weekend in the USA. Of course people are going to see it, it's the Simpson's Movie! The Simpson's, the classic television series that defines a portion of our modern generation. When one quotes the Simpson's, everyone knows where it is from, at least, in our age group. This movie however has strayed so far away from the real Simpson's that it's as thought it doesn't know its own self anymore. You compare this film to the original early 90's episodes and there is a lot of stupidity, character change, dumb humor and so on.

Remember when you came home and watched the Simpson's in the afternoon like everyone else in the 90s? You'd be fed amazing subject matter, themes, and messages week after week, time after time, and this subject matter was made into witty intelligent humor that striked out a message to your average modern day dysfunctional family. The Simpson's was so relatable to almost everyone who watched it. For an example: when Bart enters the golf putty tournament and Homer pressures him into it, it was so relatable to so many people but in the end it would clean up with Homer and Flanders wearing their wives dresses mowing their lawns. Something serious with a punch of humor, which was what the Simpson's, was all about. The episode where Bart and Lisa fight over Bart destroying Lisa's thanks giving ornament and Bart runs away from home yet only to return to his family who loves him dearly despite all the fighting and such. This was it! This was the Simpson's that everyone loved!

Week after week people would never get upset over their loved television show involving Homer strangling Bart, Homer falling down the stairs, Lisa giving out some intelligent remark only to be ignored by her family, Marge groaning or Maggie falling over her dress. If you pay attention, this is all disappearing in the new episodes…as sad as it is, but our lovable characters are being disfigured into something and someone else. Look at Bart in the film for an example, Bart is upset because his dad isn't enough of a father figure, therefore he turns to the Flanders family?!?! Bart, the boy struggling at school and the boy who has the sling shot in his back pocket, is a trouble maker! He doesn't want a father figure! Not only the enormous change of characters has been happening, but far fetched, random, Family Guy-esquire humor has been occurring in the Simpson's, when shouldn't the Simpson's stay as the Simpson's and not turn into something its not, Family Guy?

There's some really terrible jokes in this film too. Homer pours a silo of pig excrement into a lake so it mutates animals? Yeah…okay…that's realistic and funny…and the spider pig joke, people, it isn't funny!! This movie just goes to prove that the producers shove the Simpson's on our plates and we gobble it up laughing our heads off because it's the Simpson's in the 21st century, now they can do anything they want because they were defined enough in the 90's! No! I'm sick to death of the Simpson's going to foreign countries and encountering some danger or misfortune along the way that winds them up in some absolute ridiculous situation – ending up on a game show, discovering a diamond mine topped with monkey slaves. Its stuff like this that the producer's are clearly saying "We have run out of ideas…you're on your own!"

Its sad when you look at the classic Simpson's and then look at the modern times of the Simpson's, and you'll see that its all going down the drain, that the "dumb" shows are being shown over and over and the classic ones which I have mentioned are being pushed into oblivion aka Sunday afternoons. Another thing, Futurama's film is being released direct to video? Futurama should be the new Simpson's in all honesty, its loaded, and I mean loaded, with tonnes of emotional episodes, characters and its actually pure genius! Shame what they've done to the Simpson's, it truly is…

Horrible.

Author: F_Hartgrave from United States
5 August 2007

I was excited by the good reviews of this movie. I had spent the last few months trying to suppress any excitement about the movie..because based on the past few seasons of the TV show, I was afraid it was going to be a horrible disappointment, but then when people started reporting that it was good.. a herald back to the times of good TV episodes, I let myself get psyched.

I was set up for a HUGE letdown. It was exactly like the crappy new episodes. I got a mild forced chuckle out of a few lines or scenes.. but it wasn't well-written, it wasn't clever, homer was a soulless oaf, it wasn't funny. It hurt. It was a kick in the face to everyone who loved the series back in it's prime. The show that used to be more or less about a typical family that happens to be yellow and animated is gone forever I suppose, and has been replaced by a show (and now a movie) about a completely unbelievable family of outrageous unlovable unlikeable monsters.

Terrible

Author: MidnightWarrior from Texas
30 July 2007

Yes, that's right. This film is terrible. When I first saw the trailers, I was very reluctant to go see this film.

In my opinion, the best episodes of the Simpsons were the ones either written or produced by Conan O'Brien. These episodes were the earliest and were some of the first Simpsons episodes after the Tracey Ulman show. The ones that followed were funny, smart and still good.

I stopped watching The Simpsons television show after 2001 because, again in my opinion, they'd run out of new ideas and were making these newer episodes for the sake of making episodes. The humor was very dry and bland.

What made me decide to watch this film was all the raving on IMDb on how great and how funny this new movie is. Boy was I wrong to listen to the fellow IMDb posters and watch this.

***SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT***

I agree with Homer when, not even five minutes into the film, he looks at the screen and points straight to the audience and says something to the tune of, "All you people are suckers. You PAID to watch this film".

***END SPOILER***

Yeah. It's THAT bad. The racist black joke wasn't taken very well in the theater I was in. The audience (myself included) actually GROANED.

There were a few instances within this film that were somewhat funny, but it seemed to take an enormous amount of set up to execute the joke. What's left is the audience feeling that the script writers are trying excessively way too hard to force a laugh and make this funny.

The makers had gobs of potential to make this film SO good, but they bombed it completely. The feel of this film is nothing more than an over extended episode with meaningless, pointless direction.

It's like we keep seeing Homer on the big screen and then it's like, "oh okay. So what now? Who cares?" Don't pay to see this film. Don't even wait for it to come out on DVD. Wait until it's on television and then watch it.