IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 76: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Best Simpsons episode of my life......so far.

Author: paul winnett from london
25 July 2007

I was dreading this. The series has been faltering for at least five seasons so far and it is obvious they were running out of jokes. Well it seems they have saved quite a few for this comic masterpiece. The Simpsons movie manages to pack in a gag rate that is comparable to "Airplane" but also manages to tell an entertaining story that goes beyond the confines of the usual 22 minutes we are used to. I will not reveal the plot as future generations will enjoy this movie but I have read a comment that compares it to the Family Guy movie. What are you on? The style of this piece is subtly different to the T.V. show and when it goes into a Big movie moment you really notice and appreciate it. Compared to other small screen animated of recent years e.g. "South Park" or "Beavis and Butthead do America" it does not feel like an extended episode. Also manages to thrill the most mixed audience I have sat in for years. The audience applauded which is always a good sign.

the movie was the equivalent to the tweed of dinner jackets

Author: michael samuel from United Kingdom
30 July 2007

A lame excuse for a film. When i compare to a tweed dinner jacket, I mean that the film was bland. It stood out for all the wrong reasons. Yes the Simpson's was big, but times have changed and like the series it went out of fashion.

The humour in this movie was bland. Any humorous parts were simply jokes regurgitated from the likes of Family guy and much better cartoon comedies. For example when Bart draws moustaches on the family's wanted poster and the employee looks toward another family who resemble that on the edited poster. (yawn) Oh wait I've not seen that one before.

Matt groening needs to let go. After loosing every strand of appreciation for the series as it grows older, The Simpsons has died and the film is a mere excuse to regain a deteriorating audience.

Very poor excuse for a movie adapted from a series and a waste of 1hour and 15 Min's of film. (A rip off if you ask me) mikey

this movie sucked!!!!!!

Author: damion schiralli from United States
16 August 2007

This movie was so unbelievably bad I couldn't even watch it without thinking how much respect I had lost for the writers who I loved. That is until they wrote this garbage. Sure, there were some funny parts and I'm all about taking shots at religion, but the first ten minutes do not represent what this movie actually is. What this movie actually is is a desperate attempt at a fifth season show that turned out to be just another crappy new episode. this movie disappointed me for a reason that i am sure other fans are equally as disappointed. It didn't have the Simpson charm. This movie was made for any teenager who wants to go to the movies to get crappy humor you get from family guy(possibly the worst show of the generation)and to leave feeling satisfied. As a die hard fan of the show(which I can assure you i am) this movie did not hold a candle to the first ten years of the series. I'll go down the list of things that make the series great but for some unknown reason the writers kept out of the movie. 1.Principal Skinner. 2.dangerous Krusty merchandise. 3.gay jokes about smithers. 4.stories that actually came from the hearts of the writers. 5.homer getting drunk. 6.patty and Selma, and if homer screws up like he does in this movie, they are the two people who absolutely need to be there. 7.i am not 100% sure about this but i'm don't think homer even says mmmmm... followed by a food. The political commentary was so bad. i don't even know what point they were trying to get across. choosing the EPA as the villain was a huge srike-out for the writers. especially when the obvious choice to use sideshow bob was(for lack of a better word)OBVIOUS. it would have been so much more simpsonsy. the shots they took at the government were just directed at kids who hate the government but don't know why they hate the government. is it just me or was president schwartzegger just stupid? the shots at the government could have been way smarter if they just put George W. in the movie. or, to be loyal to the show, made it Rainer wolf castle. by putting in green day, Hillary Clinton, and an inconvenient truth parody, the timeless quality of the movie is destroyed. you can look at it and tell exactly when it was made, whereas the earlier episodes can be showed at any time and they would be as funny as they were at air-date. by putting in new characters that SUCKED like Lisa's boyfriend, and cargill, they needed to make room by taking out characters who make the show awesome. raunchy aspects like Bart's penis, homer's middle fingers and Otto smoking pot made the characters just not seem like themselves. by the way, Bart's subplot with Flanders was bull plop. it was just so NOT Bart. Marge's tape was so predictable. her and homer have been on this merry-go-round of lies so many times before, you know how its going to end, so why go through the charade over and over. ALSO, i'll have a hard time saying it but there was one word that made me so mad i wanted to rip my theater seat out of the ground and throw it at the wall.....sequel?

Clearly highlights everything that's wrong with The Simpsons

Author: Lochlan McBride from Australia
10 August 2007

Don't get me wrong. I was the biggest Simpsons fan back in the day. I still love to watch the older episodes and quote lines among friends, but in the last few years The Simpsons has really gone down hill. Relying more on visual humour (generally involving Homer) than clever dialogue or a well written story.

The Simpsons Movie emphasises everything that's wrong with the television show nowadays. Sure, you'll laugh, but it'll probably be a forced laugh. I noticed when I saw the movie, a lot of young children were in the cinema, having a great time. I guess The Simpsons has become just that. A children's show. It's no longer the edgy teen-to-adult animation it once was.

just wait for the DVD...

Author: slingshot977 from Canada
29 July 2007

First and foremost I'd like to say that I went to see this because I'm a huge fan of the simpsons.

But like some fans I was disappointed.First they made Bart into a soft emo piece of s.h.i.t not the brat we used to know.Not enough emphasis on the other characters,such as Chief wiggum ,ralph and/so for it.

Second,there's barely any gags other than the ones seen on the trailers. The only reason I gave it 5 out of 10 is that they kept the goofy Homer we love otherwise...

In conclusion it's not a total flop but this should've came long ago,so my advice is just wait for the DVD which should come out for the holidays.

Mediocre... doesn't deserve all the high praise!

Author: Zulfqar from United Kingdom
31 July 2007

I know there's a hardcore fan base out there for The Simpons, but I couldn't help but feel that maybe this would've been better as a made for TV movie. The gags were nothing special and I only found myself laughing twice throughout the whole picture with an odd chuckle here and there. This was mediocre at best… bordering on being tedious in some places (spider pig! Need I say more?). I'm a huge fan of the earlier episodes, which had some really excellent stories that dealt with real problems in a unique and entertaining way. However, watching this only reminded me of the more recent Simpson's episodes which tend to use shock value and tried and tested gags to achieve laughs that can now only be found in the earlier episodes. Deserves 5/10… watch Order of the Phoenix for a really entertaining cinema experience!

Disappointment

Author: Vultural from United Kingdom
30 July 2007

It's been quite noticeable that the Simpson's has been on a downward spiral since around the tenth season, first of all it's clear that every single possible scenario has been played out and overdone, the animation has become computerised and boring and their is a clear desperation as every celebrity with ant interest in the Simpson's are pulled in to boost ratings. Now imagine all of this and stretch one of those stories over three episodes and you get The Simpsons Movie.

The first difference between the original Simpson's and the 'Movie' Simpsons is that the original was set firmly on taking realistic observations and exaggerating them (for example take Itchy and Scratchy), this is what made it such a classic because it was unlike any other cartoon. However The Simpsons Movie is based on very little and overly exaggerated. This makes the movie seem like a bad copy of itself.

The second criticism of The Simpsons Movie is that The Simpsons were always the big characters and the contributors to the comedy, but it was the small characters that gave The Simpsons that variation. Therefore giving these characters minimal screen time limits the film to only one story line, when the film would have been much more interesting if the events were presented from the point of view of some of the minor characters.

However the Simpsons Movie as a separate piece of work to anything else is actually moderately funny.In fact in bursts it shows some of the creative flare of the original 10 series. However as a complete film it is just a disappointment and should have been so much better.

Disappointing

Author: joxernolan from Ireland
1 August 2007

Being an avid fan of the Simpson's i find this filth to be utterly disappointing.As with Shrek the third it was a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. Any of the good jokes were given in the first twenty minutes the remaining were to few and far between for the remaining hour(not to mention crass).The plot just did not make sense as if the writers didn't even try to bother writing one at all.Being from Ireland I am a lot more critical of the Simpson's despite the last few series being OK - good.Like many of the people in the cinema i felt like leaving half way through.One line that best describes how I and many others felt is homers ironic critique of the preceding itchy and scratchy cartoon: Why pay to see this in a cinema when we could watch it at home for free. You would be better off watching the family guy TV movie or your old favorite episodes of Simpson's than this tripe that doesn't even deserve to be in the top 250.

Lots of TV Episodes a LOT Funnier

Author: raven1949 from United States
31 July 2007

My wife and I have been Simpson fans since they were first introduced on the Ullman show. We've been looking forward to the movie for months now, saw it this afternoon and BOTH of us were pretty disappointed. I don't think we laughed out loud more than four or five times throughout the entire feature and neither did anyone else in the theatre. The absence of some of the supporting characters who make the series hilarious was really apparent, and the ones who DID appear didn't add much to the "fun quotient" of the film. Reasonably boring fare, watchable, but it should have been a LOT funnier than it was. TOO BAD!!!!

Homer As the All-Time Movie Star -- I Think Not!

Author: vitaleralphlouis from United States
29 July 2007

THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, like the long running SIMPSONS TV show, is a theme that was good a long time ago, but has been worn out till it's flat. Sure there are a handful of laughs here, but not enough to make it a classic --- or anything close to a classic. Most likely it'll be gone from the multiplexes within 4 weeks to resurface at Christmas in DVD.

Now look at the input on the IMDb website. If you can believe that over 60% of the audience rated this movie a 10, and that its #46 in the list of ALL TIME classics, then you'd have to believe this: That it's better than Wizard of Oz. That it's better than Snow White or any of the Walt Disney classics that endured for 60 to 70 years. That it's better than Gone With The Wind. That it's better than To Kill a Mockingbird. That it's better than Bridge on the River Kwai. That it's almost as good as any of the 3 great Star Wars movies --- et cetera.

Since the Simpsons is mostly adult humor that kids enjoy rather than children's humor that adults enjoy; one can't suppose the high score is a bunch of kids gone wild. I think this is another example of studio generated corruption of the IMDb website. Studios have falsified good reviews for decades (they can be bought for cash) so it follows they'd stoop to the same thing here.

A rating of 46th best movie of all time for The Simpsons Movie is pure nonsense. I wish the studios would keep hands off and let real movie fans input their opinions. As a security person, I don't know any way IMDb can stop this and still let you and I input our opinions.