IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 76: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Most Disappointing Movie Ever.

Author: FrankSalazar from United States
30 July 2007

As a die-hard Simpsons fan, I felt very disappointed with the feature film debut from the greatest sitcom ever. The Simpsons movie never reaches the heights of its TV counterpart. The first 22 Minutes or so are right up there with there with above average to good episodes of the greatest sitcom ever. The jokes in first 22 minutes are abundant and intelligent. The laughs really begin to dry up when the hideous story takes shape and we are left with environmentalist crap where Homer's small silo of pig poop and his own poop contaminated the already massively polluted Lake Springfield to the point where the Schwarzenegger led government puts a massive dome over the town of Springfield. For a good twenty minutes the film is largely laugh less. The theater was also. The movie does not really recover and rarely musters more than few chuckles. The denouement is less than impressive by Simpsons standards. The extensive cast characters are relegated to background and bit players at best. Many favorites are absent or left little to say and do. The writers take more easy outs than we see in the worst episodes and the movie itself plays it safe a little too often. The movie is seems to be a more dumbed down version of the show. Yet there is still much to recommend about the show we all love so much and for so long. The characters retain their depth and truth. The tone is consistent with the current episodes, which may be part of the problem for some. The story and the lack of big laughs are the movies greatest faults. The Simpsons Movie, which runs longer than 3 episodes is not even as funny 3 bad episodes, but it is funnier my 3 least favorite episodes. It is great that (Albert) A. Brooks puts is another funny appearance. Though Russ Cargill is not nearly as funny as Hank Scorpio or even Jacques the bowling alley gigolo. The movie a disappoint on many levels is a must see for any longtime Simpson fan. Not the funniest movie ever nor the worst movie ever. Not even close. But as one of the biggest Simpsons fans in the world for me it is the Most Disappointing Movie Ever.

just wait for the DVD...

Author: slingshot977 from Canada
29 July 2007

First and foremost I'd like to say that I went to see this because I'm a huge fan of the simpsons.

But like some fans I was disappointed.First they made Bart into a soft emo piece of s.h.i.t not the brat we used to know.Not enough emphasis on the other characters,such as Chief wiggum ,ralph and/so for it.

Second,there's barely any gags other than the ones seen on the trailers. The only reason I gave it 5 out of 10 is that they kept the goofy Homer we love otherwise...

In conclusion it's not a total flop but this should've came long ago,so my advice is just wait for the DVD which should come out for the holidays.

the movie was the equivalent to the tweed of dinner jackets

Author: michael samuel from United Kingdom
30 July 2007

A lame excuse for a film. When i compare to a tweed dinner jacket, I mean that the film was bland. It stood out for all the wrong reasons. Yes the Simpson's was big, but times have changed and like the series it went out of fashion.

The humour in this movie was bland. Any humorous parts were simply jokes regurgitated from the likes of Family guy and much better cartoon comedies. For example when Bart draws moustaches on the family's wanted poster and the employee looks toward another family who resemble that on the edited poster. (yawn) Oh wait I've not seen that one before.

Matt groening needs to let go. After loosing every strand of appreciation for the series as it grows older, The Simpsons has died and the film is a mere excuse to regain a deteriorating audience.

Very poor excuse for a movie adapted from a series and a waste of 1hour and 15 Min's of film. (A rip off if you ask me) mikey

Mediocre... doesn't deserve all the high praise!

Author: Zulfqar from United Kingdom
31 July 2007

I know there's a hardcore fan base out there for The Simpons, but I couldn't help but feel that maybe this would've been better as a made for TV movie. The gags were nothing special and I only found myself laughing twice throughout the whole picture with an odd chuckle here and there. This was mediocre at best… bordering on being tedious in some places (spider pig! Need I say more?). I'm a huge fan of the earlier episodes, which had some really excellent stories that dealt with real problems in a unique and entertaining way. However, watching this only reminded me of the more recent Simpson's episodes which tend to use shock value and tried and tested gags to achieve laughs that can now only be found in the earlier episodes. Deserves 5/10… watch Order of the Phoenix for a really entertaining cinema experience!

Disappointment

Author: Vultural from United Kingdom
30 July 2007

It's been quite noticeable that the Simpson's has been on a downward spiral since around the tenth season, first of all it's clear that every single possible scenario has been played out and overdone, the animation has become computerised and boring and their is a clear desperation as every celebrity with ant interest in the Simpson's are pulled in to boost ratings. Now imagine all of this and stretch one of those stories over three episodes and you get The Simpsons Movie.

The first difference between the original Simpson's and the 'Movie' Simpsons is that the original was set firmly on taking realistic observations and exaggerating them (for example take Itchy and Scratchy), this is what made it such a classic because it was unlike any other cartoon. However The Simpsons Movie is based on very little and overly exaggerated. This makes the movie seem like a bad copy of itself.

The second criticism of The Simpsons Movie is that The Simpsons were always the big characters and the contributors to the comedy, but it was the small characters that gave The Simpsons that variation. Therefore giving these characters minimal screen time limits the film to only one story line, when the film would have been much more interesting if the events were presented from the point of view of some of the minor characters.

However the Simpsons Movie as a separate piece of work to anything else is actually moderately funny.In fact in bursts it shows some of the creative flare of the original 10 series. However as a complete film it is just a disappointment and should have been so much better.

Disappointing

Author: joxernolan from Ireland
1 August 2007

Being an avid fan of the Simpson's i find this filth to be utterly disappointing.As with Shrek the third it was a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. Any of the good jokes were given in the first twenty minutes the remaining were to few and far between for the remaining hour(not to mention crass).The plot just did not make sense as if the writers didn't even try to bother writing one at all.Being from Ireland I am a lot more critical of the Simpson's despite the last few series being OK - good.Like many of the people in the cinema i felt like leaving half way through.One line that best describes how I and many others felt is homers ironic critique of the preceding itchy and scratchy cartoon: Why pay to see this in a cinema when we could watch it at home for free. You would be better off watching the family guy TV movie or your old favorite episodes of Simpson's than this tripe that doesn't even deserve to be in the top 250.

An incendiary, hilarious, and ultimately anticlimactic ride

Author: Jonny_Numb from Hellfudge, Pennsylvania
3 August 2007

For all the creativity crammed into one half-hour episode of "The Simpsons," I am probably not alone in saying that the show's creative apex bottomed out when it stopped being a "funny sitcom" and became a "cultural phenomenon"--it's been years since I've sat in front of the TV on a Sunday night with the primary interest of being wowed by Matt Groening's brainchild. When the show first began in 1989, the Bart-friendly T-shirts and pins seemed borne out of uncertainty over the show's staying power; these days, with the show's position in the TV canon firmly established, your Xbox games are designed for little more than feeding the "Simpsons" cash cow. That being said, I revisit the show every once in a while (via taped weekday-afternoon reruns of earlier seasons), and very much appreciate it--the sense of satire is sly, incendiary, and often very funny. Some critics cite horror films as being able to express social concerns that would be difficult to convey in other genres; "The Simpsons" would be another arena (and easily the more critically acclaimed).

So, after years of hype, this cultural phenomenon has spawned a film (aptly titled "The Simpsons Movie") that most fans will no doubt consider 'belated.' As a laid-back viewer with an appreciation of the show, the end result is frequently "LOL" hilarious, but not very endearing (honestly, I had forgotten most of the gags by the time I was out of the theater and walking to my car). The best I can say is, "it's like a really good episode of the TV show" rather than "a great film," though I guess that's complimentary enough. I will pick up the DVD once it's released, and be reminded all over of why the film succeeded in its primary goal of clever laughs.

It begins with an excellent jab at the film's own existence, courtesy of Homer ("Why pay for something we can watch on TV for free?" indeed!), then delves into a plot that is as incendiary as anything the yellow-tinged family has tackled: an environmental crisis strikes Springfield when Homer dumps a silo a pig feces in a lake that's been recently de-contaminated, inspiring outrage from the citizens and the government (headed by President Schwarzenegger, though I kept thinking "President McBain"), whose EPA liaison (voiced by Albert Brooks, who also guest-voiced the similar "Hal Scorpio" years ago) covers the contaminated city in a huge Plexiglas dome. Before you can say "Al Gore eats yellow snow," the Simpsons escape through a literal sinkhole and make tracks for Alaska as renegades from the law, only to find themselves returning to rescue their idyllic American home.

Which ultimately isn't much different than what you would find in an average episode of "The Simpsons." This is a film that knows its audience, but also successfully provides an initiation for those who (for some strange reason) have never seen the show. The animation is fluid, colorful, and uber-glossy, and the writing is on par with the better episodes (the mantra remains "anything goes" in "Simpson"-world); some intriguing character twists aside, the film overall neither exceeds nor diminishes the expectations of those who expect everything and those who expect nothing. It's a fun summer film, but not an outstanding blockbuster of endearing quality...you'll laugh heartily and maybe feel moved, but the relatively short running time is both a blessing and a curse--while you will be sufficiently guffawed-out by the end credits, "The Simpsons Movie" leaves a viewer yearning for more. I suppose that's as good an indication as any to go back to the tapes.

I've seen better episodes...

Author: porkchopsjar-1 from Canada
9 August 2007

Okay. I consider myself a die-hard Simpsons junkie, ever since I got cheesed off that they interrupted an episode (the one where Mr Burns hits Bart with his car, as I recall) with the news that the first Persian Gulf war had started. I'm also apparently one of the few people who doesn't think that the show sucks now, though I do agree it's not as consistent since about season 8 or so. Really, there are only maybe a dozen episodes or so that I truly detest. Unfortunately, if "The Simpsons Movie" was an episode of the TV show, it would probably make #13 on my list. The plot -evil EPA puts Springfield under a dome because of the toxicity of its lake- was just ridiculous. Homer and Marge having marital difficulties...sorry, that's been done just about to death. Ah, yes, Homer. In "TSM" Homer is at his quintessential moronic worst pretty much for the duration (his antics of adopting a pig -against the family's wishes- and dumping the piggy poop in the lake causing the pollution and aforementioned EPA reaction)to the point where you just want to shoot him...and I love Homer; can forgive him almost anything! But in the movie his stunts are just annoying, and that is my biggest complaint. Sure, there's a good amount of typical Simpsons political tweaking (such as Lisa's "An Irritating Truth" seminar, an obvious parody of Al Gore) but been as the whole premise of the plot is so over the top I found myself merely smirking rather than LMAO, which is my usual response to the subversive humour found on the show. I understand the producers brought together the best of the show's writers to write the movie- could have fooled me. And, considering that they probably had a big enough budget I noticed more then a few lapses in the animation, especially in the scenes where the whole town of Springfield has formed (yet another) lynch mob to go after Homer: for a few brief seconds you can tell that it is CGI 3D rather than normal animation. I found myself going "Tsk, tsk" at this shabby production. All told, I was very disappointed. Granted, I was not expecting "Last Exit To Springfield" caliber greatness with the Simpsons movie (I think we all knew better than that) but I was expecting it to be better than it was, and ultimately I'd be tempted to put the final product in the ballpark of "The Principal And The Pauper", which even the show's writers and voice actors consider one of the worst episodes. In the end, I'd say "The Simpsons Movie" is worth seeing once, but I can only hope that they do better with the inevitable "Simpsons Movie II".

That's not my Simpsons! That's not my Simpsons!!!

Author: buddypatrick from Brisbane, Australia
11 November 2007

I never thought the television series would have strayed so far away from itself, but The Simpsons Movie goes to prove it has. I have a feeling that deep down inside the producers of this film somewhat knew they were going to make a terrible film that would sweep the box offices pronto, and it did. 74 million on the opening weekend in the USA. Of course people are going to see it, it's the Simpson's Movie! The Simpson's, the classic television series that defines a portion of our modern generation. When one quotes the Simpson's, everyone knows where it is from, at least, in our age group. This movie however has strayed so far away from the real Simpson's that it's as thought it doesn't know its own self anymore. You compare this film to the original early 90's episodes and there is a lot of stupidity, character change, dumb humor and so on.

Remember when you came home and watched the Simpson's in the afternoon like everyone else in the 90s? You'd be fed amazing subject matter, themes, and messages week after week, time after time, and this subject matter was made into witty intelligent humor that striked out a message to your average modern day dysfunctional family. The Simpson's was so relatable to almost everyone who watched it. For an example: when Bart enters the golf putty tournament and Homer pressures him into it, it was so relatable to so many people but in the end it would clean up with Homer and Flanders wearing their wives dresses mowing their lawns. Something serious with a punch of humor, which was what the Simpson's, was all about. The episode where Bart and Lisa fight over Bart destroying Lisa's thanks giving ornament and Bart runs away from home yet only to return to his family who loves him dearly despite all the fighting and such. This was it! This was the Simpson's that everyone loved!

Week after week people would never get upset over their loved television show involving Homer strangling Bart, Homer falling down the stairs, Lisa giving out some intelligent remark only to be ignored by her family, Marge groaning or Maggie falling over her dress. If you pay attention, this is all disappearing in the new episodes…as sad as it is, but our lovable characters are being disfigured into something and someone else. Look at Bart in the film for an example, Bart is upset because his dad isn't enough of a father figure, therefore he turns to the Flanders family?!?! Bart, the boy struggling at school and the boy who has the sling shot in his back pocket, is a trouble maker! He doesn't want a father figure! Not only the enormous change of characters has been happening, but far fetched, random, Family Guy-esquire humor has been occurring in the Simpson's, when shouldn't the Simpson's stay as the Simpson's and not turn into something its not, Family Guy?

There's some really terrible jokes in this film too. Homer pours a silo of pig excrement into a lake so it mutates animals? Yeah…okay…that's realistic and funny…and the spider pig joke, people, it isn't funny!! This movie just goes to prove that the producers shove the Simpson's on our plates and we gobble it up laughing our heads off because it's the Simpson's in the 21st century, now they can do anything they want because they were defined enough in the 90's! No! I'm sick to death of the Simpson's going to foreign countries and encountering some danger or misfortune along the way that winds them up in some absolute ridiculous situation – ending up on a game show, discovering a diamond mine topped with monkey slaves. Its stuff like this that the producer's are clearly saying "We have run out of ideas…you're on your own!"

Its sad when you look at the classic Simpson's and then look at the modern times of the Simpson's, and you'll see that its all going down the drain, that the "dumb" shows are being shown over and over and the classic ones which I have mentioned are being pushed into oblivion aka Sunday afternoons. Another thing, Futurama's film is being released direct to video? Futurama should be the new Simpson's in all honesty, its loaded, and I mean loaded, with tonnes of emotional episodes, characters and its actually pure genius! Shame what they've done to the Simpson's, it truly is…

this movie sucked!!!!!!

Author: damion schiralli from United States
16 August 2007

This movie was so unbelievably bad I couldn't even watch it without thinking how much respect I had lost for the writers who I loved. That is until they wrote this garbage. Sure, there were some funny parts and I'm all about taking shots at religion, but the first ten minutes do not represent what this movie actually is. What this movie actually is is a desperate attempt at a fifth season show that turned out to be just another crappy new episode. this movie disappointed me for a reason that i am sure other fans are equally as disappointed. It didn't have the Simpson charm. This movie was made for any teenager who wants to go to the movies to get crappy humor you get from family guy(possibly the worst show of the generation)and to leave feeling satisfied. As a die hard fan of the show(which I can assure you i am) this movie did not hold a candle to the first ten years of the series. I'll go down the list of things that make the series great but for some unknown reason the writers kept out of the movie. 1.Principal Skinner. 2.dangerous Krusty merchandise. 3.gay jokes about smithers. 4.stories that actually came from the hearts of the writers. 5.homer getting drunk. 6.patty and Selma, and if homer screws up like he does in this movie, they are the two people who absolutely need to be there. 7.i am not 100% sure about this but i'm don't think homer even says mmmmm... followed by a food. The political commentary was so bad. i don't even know what point they were trying to get across. choosing the EPA as the villain was a huge srike-out for the writers. especially when the obvious choice to use sideshow bob was(for lack of a better word)OBVIOUS. it would have been so much more simpsonsy. the shots they took at the government were just directed at kids who hate the government but don't know why they hate the government. is it just me or was president schwartzegger just stupid? the shots at the government could have been way smarter if they just put George W. in the movie. or, to be loyal to the show, made it Rainer wolf castle. by putting in green day, Hillary Clinton, and an inconvenient truth parody, the timeless quality of the movie is destroyed. you can look at it and tell exactly when it was made, whereas the earlier episodes can be showed at any time and they would be as funny as they were at air-date. by putting in new characters that SUCKED like Lisa's boyfriend, and cargill, they needed to make room by taking out characters who make the show awesome. raunchy aspects like Bart's penis, homer's middle fingers and Otto smoking pot made the characters just not seem like themselves. by the way, Bart's subplot with Flanders was bull plop. it was just so NOT Bart. Marge's tape was so predictable. her and homer have been on this merry-go-round of lies so many times before, you know how its going to end, so why go through the charade over and over. ALSO, i'll have a hard time saying it but there was one word that made me so mad i wanted to rip my theater seat out of the ground and throw it at the wall.....sequel?