IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 75: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Disappointing

Author: Cissy-Fairfax from London, England
10 February 2008

Given the standards set by one of the funniest shows ever - certainly the most humorous by a mile from America, this was really disappointing.

Others go into greater depth as to why, too deep really. The problems were quite simple: 1) The who plot was tediously dull - never cared for the outcome. It wasn't a plot for a film. Imagine real characters played by real people. Would it still be interesting or a film script? Never in a million years. Who Killed Mr Burns would make an ideal script for a real film. Frank Grimes would. This never did. They should've worked on a good script and fitted the characters & gags around that.

2) There were no subplots.

3) No jokes - barely any to make you laugh - Fat Tony dumping the body & Chief Wiggum's response was one of the greatest gags ever. Worth a mark on it's own. Where was the rest of those? One or two others (from Martin) but nothing that hurt you, like in the TV show.

4) Underuse of the good characters. Homer has gone from the funniest character in the show to slightly irritating and the rest of the Simpsons have never been the well crafted or interesting characters. Where was Burns, Capt McAllister, Wiggum, Ralph, Quimby, Brockman, Martin? Were Patty & Selma even in it? Overuse of new characters too.

5) Recycled gags & plots. Whole town V Simpsons has been done to death, so to Marge leaving Homer, Simpson's moving away, Homer's invincibility crashing into things (catchphrases can remain funny but entire scenes rarely do).

6) Far too much music throughout the film which added nothing.

7) Nothing to do with the pig was funny, nor Homer getting Bart to skateboard naked seemed to be cobbled together in 2 minutes.

I'll still give it 5/10. It was The Simpsons after all and though such a let down from the standard it has set, there was probably some enjoyment in there.

A lot of noise for little

Author: Dr Jacques COULARDEAU from Olliergues, France
18 August 2007

If you had some envy to simpsonize yourself for some Internet page, you will lose all envy after that film. The TV series is funny, caustic, at times slightly gore and trashy, in short it is titillating us in the few spots where we are always itchy, in secret of course. We were waiting for Bart's eating his shorts as usual and we only got a very prudish séance of streaking on a skate board. The main theme is pollution and we had been told that it was going to be awfully gory and we got Al Gore, well wrapped up in his fat and becoming an ecological terrorist in the hand of some bureaucrat of some environmental agency under the guidance of a president who was supposed to drag us down into the darkest layers of the political world and as for blackness and darkness we get a Swharzenegger that does not know how to read. Alaska is nicely polluted by oil companies. Sledge dogs rebel and abandon their master in the middle of nowhere. And we even get the seesaw humdrum banal triteness of "in American you can always make as much money as you want." The housing bubble is there to prove it: you can for sure make as much money as you want even with slimy loans, but then everyone in the world has to foot the bill when the enterprising individuals who did it crash and hit the bottom of a bottomless abyss. Mister director, Mister producer, you can do better I am sure, you could do better if you tried, you could have done better if you had really wanted, you should have done better if you had known the cinema is not television. McLuhan taught me a long time ago that the medium is the message. And you did as if the medium did not mean anything at all. That is unrespectful of the audience.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris Dauphine & University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne

Eh, it's a cartoon.

Author: moj4 from France
20 August 2007

Let me start off by saying that I love the Simpsons! I have seen every episode more than once. Maybe that was the problem. Everything was derivative. I have to say the build-up prior to the movie's release was just too much. Spider Pig! Spider Pig? Yeah, that was funny the first gajillion times I saw it in the commercials. By the time I saw the movie, "eh." There was bound to be disappointment. I was really looking forward to this movie but in the back of my mind I wondered if they would over-reach. I was actually checking the clock to see how much time was left. That's not a good sign.

Bottom line: if you like the Simpsons, give it a try, if you don't, well, you can find it free on the internet, anyway!

Did this movie really have to be made??!!

Author: kooleshwar (rahulsg@hotmail.com) from India
20 August 2007

Am i a fan of the Simpson's?..

Yes! I am. Not the kind that has seen every episode and remembers them but I've seen a few hundred of them and thats a lot.

Was I looking forward to this movie?

No s#$t.

Did I have sky high expectations from this movie?

Surprisingly I didn't.(not that surprising if you consider the kind of bug hype movies that have let down expectations this year).

Basically I'm describing the a whole bunch of people, which includes a large portion of North America.

Im all for the feature length and big screen adaptations of popular serials, and genuinely feel that often the larger running time, canvas and BUDGET, add a whole lot to the serials.

This was true in lots of cases, especially in the big screen adaptations of yesteryear's serials like Charlie's angels (it had its moments), The X-files, serenity etc.

But if the "BIGGER EVERYTHING", isn't going to add much to the movie, then i don't see the reason why I should be spending 240 rs, to watch the movie, when I can watch the serial for free, or watch it on TV later.

Unfortunately this was the case in the movie.

The graphics were only at par with the serial, and the slightly deviations from the style on TV was more of a distraction than a genuine addition.

The Dolby surround was used but added nothing to the movie.

Im sure the budget was several times the serials (and not proportionate to 87/22, the average serial run time to this movies length), but this did nothing for the movie.

The longer length could have meant many more gags and a rare instance of lots of parallel stories plots and sub-plots, with larger than normal footage given to more than a couple of characters (usually besides the family only a few characters are given much footage), but instead it ended up being almost boring in a few parts, IN BETTER DAYS THE BEST JOKES FROM THIS MOVIE AND A LESS STRETCHED OUT PLOT WOULD HAVE FORMED A STANDARD 30 MIN SERIAL OR AT MOST A ONE HOUR SPECIAL.

Still the movie had its moments.

The standard Simpson's humour was all there, many jokes were hilarious and some had the spark that has often been found missing in the later seasons, the few jokes with Burns and Irish boy, had me reminiscing and laughing at the same time.

Although it came close never ever did this movie cross into boring territory, every time you thought that this movie was going to lose a hand, it pulled out an ace from its sleeve.

THE GUEST APPEARANCES WERE HILARIOUS, and as big ticket as can get.

The shorter than average length insured that you never OD'ed on people you weren't used to seeing in slabs of more than half an hour.

SO WERE THE JOKES GOOD AND THE MOVIE ENTERTAINING??

BUT DOES IT MEAN THAT THIS MOVIE HAD TO BE MADE AND THAT WE SHOULD PAY FULL TICKET PRICES AND WATCH IT IN A THEATER.

I don't think so....

So if you have to watch this movie (and indeed you should), then please only watch it on DVD, at really really cheap prices in the theater, or better still on good ol TV where I have been enjoying Simpson's since the last 15 years.

-s "BIGGER EVERYTHING" adds nothing to this movie, feels like a stretched out 1 hour special, potential far from exploited.

+/-s did this movie and its theatrical release need to happen, i certainly don't think so.

+s jokes were still funny (albiet with breaks of mediocrity), a couple of scenes had that old spark, never bored.

total 6/10 (only because i had fun, however it was only as much fun as i would have had seeing it on TV, and because luckily i didn't have that many expectations, if i consider the fact that i felt kind of cheated watching this movie than this movie will crossover below 5 in my opinion).

ps The fact that such ordinary cinema has broken the top 250 list is truly scary and its taken me a lot off effort not to change my original rating to a much lower one, only to get the overall rating down.

A good effort, but it was wrong to have made a film once the franchise had weakened.

Author: paulmamak from United Kingdom
31 July 2007

This film to me did not really fulfil what The Simpsons is about, as it was made once the franchise had gone downhill.

The way the film started was OK, with a mildly funny Itchy and Scratchy cartoon followed by a slightly comical title sequence. However, then came along the appearance of Green Day, which is fair play, but obviously only made their appearance to promote their tacky version of The Simpsons theme tune.

Then there was the amusing scene with nude skateboarding Bart, which was just revisiting a used gag in a previous episode, apart from being a bit more revealing. However, the writers did manage to squeeze in the humorous gag when the Flanders family are praying. On a rarity you were able to feel a little remorse for Bart, which strengthened the scene.

Then came the introduction of most probably the worst character to ever be a part of The Simpsons, a pig. Although it had something to do with the plot, each scene it was in made the film cringing to watch, why the writers thought that Homer blowing raspberries on a pig would be funny is beyond belief. I also have no idea why the song Spider Pig was so funny? OK its a rip off the Spiderman theme tune, but the writers gave it lyrics that sounded as though they had been improvised by a 2 year old.

The overall destruction of Springfield lake was also a revisit from a previous episode. Which introduced you to President Arnold Schwarzenegger, which if the writer's were on the ball should have been President Rainier Wolfcastle. This was an attempt to make a stab at the Governor of California, but it seemed like they had based him more on President Bush. Therefore the writers shot themselves in the foot there "CRETINS!". Then they once again introduced an out of the blue character who just so happened that he wanted to destroy Springfield.

There is then every attempt to squeeze in as many of the characters as possible, giving the odd one liners, which really was a let down.

From then on Bart shows more of an interest in Flander's as a father, Lisa finds a boy she likes and Marge questions her relationship with Homer, sounds very familiar!

Therefore, its up to Homer to put things right as usual with a happy outcome with a little aid from Maggie and a poor special appearance from Tom Hanks.

All in all it could have just been another episode, it hurts me to say this. There was barely any sign of originality, more just retracing previous jokes and predictable gags.

The Simpsons has given us a great ride, but enough is enough, you have gained much achievement in your work and you will provide enjoyment to audiences for the rest of eternity. For now though drink your final rounds of Duff from Moe's and head to Springfield Canyon to watch the sun set over Springfield and leave everyone in a happy state of mind.

Not the Simpsons

Author: salgarlic
18 January 2008

Wow, anybody that thought this movie was great cannot be a real Simpsons fan. I knew it was going to be trash so I put off seeing it as long as I could. It truly couldn't be any worse. If you liked it watch seasons 1-8 and then you will know why it terrible. The jokes are geared towards to teens with immature senses of humor. The biggest problem I have with this movie is when you seen Bart's private part. What is that all about. I a college student and I'm cool to most things pertaining to nudity but families borough their kids to this not expecting that. It was not needed not called for. The Simpsons crew should have stopped writing 9 years ago and the viewers should have stopped watching 10 years ago. Do to the high rating I have to say people are dumber than i thought.

Should never have been a movie

Author: therealjoeh from United Kingdom
17 August 2007

It's obvious that a standard Simpson's formula for an episode could not be extended to make a real movie. I personally would have left the idea, unless the money dividends were huge, (which they probably are) The movie has a rather different tint to the Simpson's we all know. I feel it has borrowed heavily from the Seth Mcfarlanes Family Guy which admittedly made quite a few parts funny but I wouldn't consider the creators to have the same experience in that are of humour.

I enjoyed the movie at the beginning but then it became too random and it didn't seem to reach me. It was a big let down because of the hype, however i always retain that cartoon series', just like computer games, shouldn't be made into films. I guess its a money thing, who's going to turn down millions?

I expected a Homer Saga but get a bad copy of the TV series

Author: milewan from Germany
11 August 2007

OK, first of all....when i first saw the teaser month ago i thought "well, that looks good...it could *uckin rock !" then they released the trailer...and i was disappointed in a way..OK, spider pig was funny seeing it for the first time...but it became very lame when you saw the trailer another time....the plot seemed not very creative and the jokes were very average...compared with the series it *ucked monkey *its.... so my expectations on this movie sank rapidly...nevertheless i decided to watch the movie cause i was a big fan of the Simpson since 1991.

the movie was a disaster...in my opinion maybe just a bit better than turtles 3 or the super Mario bros movie...

why?

first of all...was this movie really for fans like me? i don't think so...i knew almost everything about the family...

-nothing new input from the Simpson universe...OK, seeing Bart's *ick was new and funny, but i don't know if it was the thing i really wanted... -Lisa fell in love....OK before this movie she fell in love a few times...her love story in this movie is so short and unemotional that they could cut it out actually....totally senseless -the non-nasty Bart....what the *uck? yeah Bart was as kinky as Lisa in the TV series...he seemed so mature that it wasn't funny...actually i was a bit shocked...in the early 90s he was the star of the show....later homer became the leader of the Simpson...i excepted a Bart who was responsible for the conflict in the plot but no...they took lame *ss homer -homer: don't get me wrong....he is my favorite character...but he was simply not funny here...he was the main superstar in this movie...and that was a fault in my opinion....in the series there is a balance between the characters....but here the focus was only at homer which *ucks -ralph, milhouse, Willy, burns, Lionel hutz, co: where were they? only 30 secs appearances? damn.... -the villain: a joke....everyone excepted burns, bush, aliens, bob, ... -the message of the movie: what was it?

*UCK ! this movie seemed like a pilot to the series in the early 90s ! it was lame, childish and a disappointment in every *uckin single wa

Entertaining, but not great

Author: bender647 from United States
9 August 2007

I had to vote this a bit unfairly low because as an absolute Simpsons fan dating back to watching the Tracy Ulman show in college, I can't understand where the high average is coming from...

I'll just summarize what I think went wrong with the movie compared to the "classic" episodes:

--Lisa's childhood crushes and youth activism episodes have never been funny. I almost suspect it was a ploy to capitalize on the popularity of cartoon characters with Irish accents. --Ned Flanders is best used as the butt of a joke, letting us laugh as his over-the-top cautiousness or religious behavior. He was just sappy in this. --Bart should definitely be the prankster, not having heart-melting moments and needing a hug. --Homer just has to be slapstick-stupid, and spend less time thinking! --It added no great one-liners to pull out in the future on when life imitates the Simpsons (as it almost always does).

Funny Acid, Bitter, Ironic – A Movie With Many Layers

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 August 2007

In Springfield, Lisa convinces the locals to clean up the polluted Lake Springfield after the sinking of the stage of the Green Day in a concert of rock and roll. Meanwhile, Homer saves a pig from being killed in Krusty Burger and adopts it, calling the animal Spider Pig. After two days, Spider Pig fills up a silo with its excrement and Homer dumps the silo in the lake, polluting it. The angry population forces the Simpsons to move to Alaska. Meanwhile the stupid president Arnold Schwarzenegger is induced by his adviser from EPA to put a dome over Springfield to hold the population and destroy the city. When Marge sees the new in the television, she tells Homer that they must return to Springfield to save their town and friends, but Homer is not convinced if people of Springfield deserve their support.

"The Simpsons Movie" is a funny, acid, bitter and ironic story, actually a movie with many layers, but never naive. For a kid, there is an ecological message in addition to the jokes, but for adults there are many witty critics to politicians, corporations and to the behavior of the paranoid society. I am not a follower of the TV series, but I liked this clever movie. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Os Simpsons - O Filme" ("The Simpsons – The Movie")