IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 77: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Worst Simpsons movie ever!

Author: Dr.Gonzo-2 from Manhattan, Kansas
9 July 2008

I have the lingering taste of a chutney Squishee in my mouth.

One look at the writing credits for this film and it's plainly obvious why it stinks. Too many writers, too much "let's throw in another gag for no apparent reason". Subplots were inexplicably abandoned, gags became unbearable visual references, a la "Family Guy", and the overall plot became incredibly outrageous, even for "The Simpsons". And, I hated that Marge used inappropriate language; it simply wasn't funny.

Perhaps the film is a better experience if you chew peyote, listen to Johnny Cash, and dream of your favorite "Treehouse of Horror" episode while trying to forget that you're watching the WORST SIMPSONS MOVIE EVER! There, I said it. Put that on a t-shirt M.G. and I'll buy it.

Eh, it's a cartoon.

Author: moj4 from France
20 August 2007

Let me start off by saying that I love the Simpsons! I have seen every episode more than once. Maybe that was the problem. Everything was derivative. I have to say the build-up prior to the movie's release was just too much. Spider Pig! Spider Pig? Yeah, that was funny the first gajillion times I saw it in the commercials. By the time I saw the movie, "eh." There was bound to be disappointment. I was really looking forward to this movie but in the back of my mind I wondered if they would over-reach. I was actually checking the clock to see how much time was left. That's not a good sign.

Bottom line: if you like the Simpsons, give it a try, if you don't, well, you can find it free on the internet, anyway!

Not bad, but way too late

Author: ExpendableMan from United Kingdom
11 August 2007

There's an advert doing the rounds in the UK Odeon cinema chain at the moment proudly proclaiming 2007 to be the best summer of movies ever. Having seen it several times, I'm beginning to think I might be getting too cynical to go and see films anymore, because so far this year I have ho-hummed my way through Spiderman 3, sat befuddled through Pirates 3, smirked occasionally during Shrek 3 and failed to see what the fuss was with Transformers. And now, having seen the Simpsons movie, it pains me to say it but the best thing I can bring myself to say is that it's okay. It's not outlandishly brilliant, or a complete disaster. It's just average is all. Six stars out of ten which passes an hour and a half quite nicely but doesn't leave you craving the DVD release. But, at least it's better than the Family Guy movie.

On the plus side, the kids are going to love it. The screening I attended was packed out with ankle biters and they laughed every second, but for the seasoned Simpsons fanatics there is a definite sense of slight disappointment. The jokes are funny and the characters are as charming as ever, but it doesn't quite make the big enough leap to qualify as anything other than an extended TV episode. Sure, the animation is better and the colours sharper, but it's hard to shake the impression that it's merely an overlong TV script, knocked out quickly on a Friday afternoon so as to meet a deadline.

The obvious comparison points would be the South Park and Family Guy movies. The Family Guy one was a disaster - three episodes strung together with no funny jokes and an overwhelming air of self satisfaction. The South Park movie meanwhile was terrific - it took the formula that made the show so great and amplified it to every extreme. The Simpsons movie falls somewhere between the two; it's still a step up, but ever since the series got increasingly outlandish, having Homer and co embark on an epic adventure to save Springfield isn't quite so dramatic anymore. If this had come out around the time of the eighth or ninth seasons when the show (arguably) was at its peak, it would have felt more like the event it always should have been.

What's more, there's Homer. Let's be honest about Homer Simpson for a minute here, he's not that great a character anymore is he? He's crass, self-centred, bigoted, stupid and has so many mood shifts he's teetering on the brink of having multiple personalities. And in this film he's a complete jerk who becomes increasingly difficult to cheer on the more the plot develops. The lovable but dim-witted buffoon of the early series is now gone, replaced by a lumbering imbecile that sings an unfunny song about Spiderpigs.

Considering how beloved the Simpsons are however, none of what I'm saying ultimately matters. It's going to make millions and keep on making millions and while it is occasionally so funny I was in pain, it still feels like a let down, probably because it overdoses on slapstick and a large number of jokes might as well consist of Matt Groening shouting: "Look everybody! Homer Simpson is an idiot!" It's okay, but sadly is just the latest average film in a summer that's overflowing with them. I really, really hope that The Bourne Ultimatum is incredible, or I'll have to give up on multiplex blockbusters and start going to independent cinemas, wear berets and take up chain smoking.

Welcome to Irrelevancy

Author: coma__america from Australia
27 July 2007

The announcement of the Simpsons movie was somewhat suspect for myself and probably a lot of other Simpsons fans... Will the movie throw back to the glory days or will it become more irrelevant and terrible like the newer series'. The answer sadly is the later. The Simpsons movie contains the same played out jokes, unfunny and ridiculous situations and none of the characters that originally made the show a success had even more than maybe a scene, if at all! It's sad to see that such a great show can degenerate into the garbage that it is today. If you like the newer seasons you'll love the movie, But if you are looking for a return to the classic comedic brilliance that made the show so great avoid.

One of the Best Films based on a TV Show!

Author: edwardbaillargeon
18 November 2015

If I can be honest, I have not watched a single episode of the longest running animated show, The Simpsons. Although I did see this movie and it was just FUNNY! The story is about the town of Springfield entering an environmental crisis with all the pollution in Lake Springfield. One day, Homer Simpson disposed a silo of pig crap from his pet pig named Spider-Pig, I mean Harry Plopper into the lake. Because of the environmental crisis, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) run by Russ Cargil (voiced by Albert Brooks) who presents options to President Arnold Schwarzenegger on what to do to Springfield and goes with a random option because "I was elected to lead, not to read." -Arnold Schwarzenegger. The citizens of Springfield are the trapped in a dome and people find out Homer was responsible and is now seen as a criminal. The story is very complex, I couldn't explain a lot without spoiling anything. The animation still keeps the style of the show very nicely. The best part of the movie is the Humor! Not only can it be random. but is also very, very funny! The Simpsons Movie is easily one of the best films based on an animated TV Show along with The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut!

"The Simpsons Movie" is a dream come true!

Author: joshuadrake-91275 from Clarksville, TN, United States
23 September 2015

In the film based on the hit television series created by Matt Groening, Homer must save the world from a catastrophic event that he himself has created. It all begins with Homer, his new pet pig and a leaky sill full of droppings - a combination that triggers a disaster the likes of which Springfield has never experienced. As Marge is outraged by Homer's monumental blunder, a vengeful mob descends on the Simpsons household. The family makes a narrow escape, but is divided by both conflict and location.

As the fates of Springfield and the world hang in the balance, Homer embarks on a personal odyssey of redemption - seeking forgiveness from Marge, the reunion of his splintered family and the salvation of his hometown.

After 25 seasons, 500 and something episodes and a lot of awards and honors (including the Peabody Award, 23 Emmy's (r) and a designation from Time magazine as the best-television show of the twentieth century), The Simpsons was finally made as a feature-length motion picture.

And it's a good thing because it takes a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen format to fully and completely capture the stupidity of Homer Simpson. THE SIMPSONS MOVIE was a long time coming for me because I was expecting to see my favorite TV show on the big screen, so when I first saw this, I thought it would be a disaster, but after watching this on DVD, I actually enjoyed it.

The animation is really good and the dialog is just incredible, especially the one-liners and the other jokes that the eleven screen writers who worked on this script for the film, really brought flavor, width and good storytelling to the screen. David Silverman directed this film and his style is really amazing.

The acting is just both hilarious and emotionally powerful. This goes to Dan Castellaneta and Julie Kavner as Homer and Marge Simpson, because Homer's famous quotes, "D'oh!" and "Why, you little...!" is in this film and Marge's dialog written for the film is really amazing.

Nancy Cartwright and Yeardley Smith as Bart and Lisa Simpson are just as funny as they are in the cartoon, but Maggie Simpson only says one line of dialog and that is at the end of the film, when they are watching the ending credits and she takes out her pacifier and says, "Sequel?".

Hank Azaria, Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille and Harry Shearer plays various characters including Ned Flanders, Milhouse van Houten, Mr. Montogomery Burns, Smithers, Jimbo Jones and other various characters in the film are really entertaining. The only thing that was kind of missing was Mrs. Krapabel, played by the late Marcia Wallace. She has a cameo though at the beginning of the film.

Did I forget to mention the rock band Green Day also has a cameo appearance? They are at the beginning, finishing up the classic theme song composed by Danny Elfman, while the musical score is not composed by Alf Clausen, composer of the TV series, it is composed by Hans Zimmer. The other performance that I did not mention was Albert Brooks as Russ Cargill. He was also very entertaining and quite perfect for the villain.

If there is one thing I can criticize this movie about is Maggie Simpson, because the creators just don't know that this character needs to be able to grow. Stewie Griffin from Family Guy also needs to grow, but having him talk and not allowing to walk and talk is just not enough. I would love to see Maggie talk more.

Overall, THE SIMPSONS MOVIE is one of those TV show to film adaptations that I think needs to be seen by everyone. It is a perfect, well-made movie with memorable quotes, great performances and very good action pieces. I love this movie and I love the series, but I would love to see another SIMPSONS MOVIE on the big screen sometime soon. This is one cartoon movie, along with Shrek, Toy Story, SpongeBob SquarePants, Frozen and any other animated movie that I don't gets enough credit. My rating is definitely an 8 out of 10, I know I am almost close to a 10 out of 10, but 8 out of 10 work

Fantsatic movie

Author: Georgian Stanescu from Ireland
8 August 2015

Well what a class this movie is. hahahaah. Seen it several times. Grandpa(Castallneta), has a vision in church. Homer(Castallenta) adopts a pig and calls it Spider Pig. It turns out to be a disaster for the community. hahaha. Homer dumps Spider Pig's "waste" or as Marge(Kavner) refers to it as "leavings" into Springfield lake, even thou the Mayor of Springfield, Mayor Quimby(Casltealnna) has called a "Code Black", ie calling all Springfield Residents to stop dumping in the lake. However Homer fails to listen, and costs Springfield its life. So how to save it, first the family flee to neighboring(so called - hahah) Alaska. Then they see on the News that its to be bombed to make way for a new Gorge. So the family get caught by EEPA EEPA, EPA.

I do appreciate the way the movie kept some of its TV series like Bart writing on the Board of which it says"I shall not download this movie", fantastic.

So overall a fantastic movie.

I have tried very hard to like this movie

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
20 June 2013

An 18-year wait for...this? The Simpsons movie lets the credits roll at the 77-minute mark and barely delivers anything memorable as the jumbled, unworkable script struggles through flat deviations and repetitive plot points (Homer and Marge having marriage trouble AGAIN...really???). The caustic satire and lampooning of politics that even the worst episodes of the show are laced with are utterly absent here. After 158 drafts by 15 different writers whatever original, worthy ideas they might have had are all carelessly mashed together, neutering all of them in the process.

When Lisa points out that Lake Springfield is dangerously polluted to the point of crisis, Mayor Quimby orders a clean-up. Homer disobeys and dumps a silo of pig feces in it, causing an immediate toxic surge. The EPA seal the town in a giant dome to contain the pollution, proving Grandpa's vision in church to be true. The Simpsons escape the wrath of townsfolk and flee to Alaska for a new life.

Wow! How about THAT for a horribly convoluted plot synopsis. I mean...Alaska? How could it take 18 years to come up with this? The comedic timing is just...wrong. The movie is broken on so many levels, it feels nothing like the TV show. It's such a weird, dissatisfying experience. The scope widescreen composition is very good however, and Hans Zimmer provides a truly wonderful score which is far better than his other more popular efforts in recent years.

The Simpsons Movie is not something I can watch again and again, it lacks the vital spark of the show while at the same time feeling like a 3-episode arc. Groening says it will be a very long time before we see a sequel but they really to spend that time coming up with something great? How about The Simpsons Xmas Movie? Or a 3-hour Bartman mini-series? The possibilities are endless, and this movie squanders the immense Simpsons universe on a rotten script.

To coin a phrase: It's OK, but I like their old stuff better...

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
27 December 2010

Ahhhh, The Simpsons, 20+ years and still going strong... well still going anyway.

I think breaking point for me came when I recently felt strongly enough about a new episode that I rang a friend to tell him that the new Simpsons episode was actually very good. That's depressing when you think about it, especially considering that I've been watching it (and loving it) since Day 1. It's been maybe 10 years since I could make that call and mean it.

So after nearly 20 years they decide to announce a movie at last, or realistically 10 years after at last. Once it finally did arrive though the film was pretty good, better than I expected early on... but as I will point out again and again momentum just couldn't last.

Thanks to Homer (of course) Springfield has become the most polluted city in America, in an update on Escape from New York it is "domed off" with a giant glass object from which there is apparently no escape. The inhabitants of Springfield are - as the creator of the dome puts it - trapped like carrots.

It is the events leading up to the doming and subsequent escape that showed the most promise. All of the show regulars were shown but many seemed underutilised (Burns and Smithers get maybe 1 minute total). There are some quality jokes to be had, mostly due to Homer's lack of parenting skills and people getting hurt. There is also some full Bartal nudity.

The guest star (if you can have one in a film, and I'm saying you CAN!) is Russ Cargill, the boss of the Environmental Protection Agency who places the dome to protect the Earth. He is voiced by Albert Brooks (Marlin himself!) and he gets most of the best lines in the movie, including the "trapped like carrots" one mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately though what ensues is strongly reminiscent of the show's lifespan so far;

* Great start.

* Homer gets most of the laughs.

* Marge is the voice of reason and the bringer of down.

* Lisa has a subplot that goes nowhere.

* Show runs out of momentum halfway and we must realise the best is behind us.

In fact I can now pinpoint the exact moment that the movie loses it...

35 minutes. Simpson family escapes the dome, Cargill orders around the clock surveillance, has a soft/tuff guy rant and admits to being drunk with power. It is a brilliant 30 seconds, unfortunately nothing after it comes close to being as good.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

The Simpsons are pariahs in their own town and flee to Alaska, only once happily ensconsed in Palin's backyard they find out that Cargill has started to doubt his own dome and has a far more severe and permanent Plan B in mind for Springfield.

Marge and the kids set off to save the day while Homer searches for a deeper truth... which he finds when he meets a lady with giant boobs. Aren't they always the answer.

In truth Giant boob-lady is just gimmicky and tacky, the Lisa's new admirer bit was a waste of time aside from giving her a few minutes screen time and Marge has little to do in the film aside from doubt her marriage.

The first half was actually pretty great even if the only thing the dopey and impressionable remember is Spiderpig. If you watched the second half in isolation as two 20 minute episodes you would go away very unimpressed.

I still love The Simpsons, but boosting the first half of a film is a little like cheering when your sports team loses narrowly to a better opponent. An honourable defeat, but a defeat nonetheless. Despite that even though this is by no means classic it has enough good jokes and even sub-par Simpsons is still funny.

Final Rating - 7.5 / 10. All the bagging and a 7.5? As I said, average Simpsons is still pretty good. If you like The Simpsons: You will laugh. You will very likely enjoy this. (It just isn't a patch on Season 3 through say 8.)

As Good As Turning On Your TV?

Author: Bill Slocum (bill.slocum@gmail.com) from Greenwich, CT United States
1 January 2010

Early in the long-awaited, much-debated "The Simpsons Movie", legendary TV doofus Dad Homer Simpson makes a good point.

"I can't believe we're paying to see something we get on TV for free!" he tells a theater full of patrons watching the new Itchy & Scratchy movie.

Does "The Simpsons Movie" justify its long wait, not to mention the money you might have spent for cinema tickets or a DVD rental? Since I borrowed my copy from the library, I'm still wrestling with this one. I was amused and entertained, enjoying the depth of visual information that came with the feature-film budget. But I can tick off a dozen episodes from the TV show's first eight seasons that were better, tighter stories and funnier besides.

It's a bad day in Springfield when Homer decides to ignore environmental warnings and dumps a silo full of pig leavings into the local lake. The EPA seals off Springfield with a giant dome, and the Simpsons become fugitives from both the government and their frenzied fellow Springfieldians. Can Homer save the town, or will he lose his family?

Director David Silverman and the movie producers try to create a stand-alone feature film while at the same time rallying the Simpsons' deep and loyal fan base. I think they lean too hard in the latter direction. A lot of the film's gags require audience familiarity with secondary and tertiary characters from the TV show, a.k.a. the Comic Book Guy thanking Marge Simpson for letting him wear her pregnancy pants. ("I've never known comfort like this!") Who would have guessed Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel would have more lines than Mr. Burns?

The joke of Homer's stupidity is beaten to the ground like Joe Pesci in "Casino". But I laughed because it's still funny all these years on. Like Homer's trick of catching fish by dropping a bug zapper into a pond. Or his reason for choosing to move to Alaska: "Where you can't be too fat or too drunk!"

Most of the jokes are single-shot affairs, like what you get these days watching "The Simpsons" or its pale imitator, "Family Guy". The opportunity to do something appropriately novel with the old formula is largely ignored. The pollution story is neither new nor interesting. The biggest sustained laugh involves Bart skateboarding naked for its numerous hidden-weiner gags. "Listen kid, no one likes wearing clothes in public," an arresting officer tells him. "But it's the law."

The writers behind "The Simpsons" are clever enough to throw a line like that at you every few minutes, and the characters are enjoyable company that don't wear out their welcome. But I never felt I was watching anything here other than bits and pieces that would have wound up on the TV series in some form at some later time.

Given that it's "The Simpsons", and a national treasure, it's still fun to sit through "The Simpsons Movie". But like "Mt. Rushmore: The Board Game", I was left wondering about its necessity.