IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 76: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

The Downward Spiral.

Author: Dominic Schiralli from United States
5 August 2007

I went to see a midnight showing of the movie after I got off work. My good friend and long time Simpsons fan who also works with me came along. As the movie started, I noticed the goosebumps on my arms, the hairs on my body standing on end, and the anticipation in the air. I loved the opening; not what I expected, but pleasing. Sadly, the first scene and maybe the first ten or twenty minutes delivered to me and the rest just left me asking "Wait... The early season writers wrote this?" Yeah, I admit it, I am on of The Simpson "fans" that regularly says to my friends.. "Yeah man, I like the early episodes, but after awhile, they just lost the heart, you know? Episodes like 'Secrets of a Successful Marriage' and 'One fish, Two fish, Blow fish, Blue fish' actually made me relate and feel like I wasn't just watching a cartoon series."

As common as it is today to hear that or similar statements from fans, it couldn't be further from the truth.

The movie was...bad; easy, cheap laughs for the most part. Hardly any of the witty, smart aspects were there at all. There were a few gags here and there that delivered, but never at any time did I think it could compare what-so-ever to the old episodes, unbelievably written by most of the writers that worked on the movie.

What annoyed and angered me more than anything was the horrible attempted political commentary (E.P.A. as a villain?), and Green Day, of course. What I love about the simpsons is the simpson univerese itself. Of course, there were always guest stars from time to time, but it always felt like "The Simpson Universe-anytown U.S.A" to me. It felt like the episodes could be shuffled around, and not one would affect the other. The writers developed each character so well that it hardly seemed like a cartoon. The "good" Simpsons are timeless. That's the word: Timeless...

...but horrible current political commentary and a Greenday appearance make it painfully clear exactly when this movie came out. If the political commentary was clever or sharp in any way, it MIGHT have worked. Instead, you have your random, cheap laugh, Family Guy-like humor that has unfortunately polluted comedy on screen to the point where it's rare to find something that actually makes your soul giggle and feel like it was worth it (Like the old Simpson seasons).

Why was Burns not the villain? Can someone please explain this to me? It is "THE Simposns movie" for God's sake. The man had one scene. Sorry, I know that this is immature and just plain horrible to say, being that every fan would want to make the movie his/her own way, but c'mon. Team Mr.Burns up with Sideshow Bob! Make us feel like we're in Springfield! Anyways, I'm getting off track. Back to my review: What I love most about the old episodes is, in fact, the heart and moral quality. The movie spent most of its time with bad political humor, Homer acting not quite like himself, and a Bart who we just don't recognize on screen. Bart hates Flanders. We all know this. Bart thinks Homer is an idiot, but he loves him. The whole Bart/Flanders story was awful and just...painful to watch. I don't even need to address Homer trying to win Marge back because we've all seen it a billion times before and this was by far the most predictable unimagined way to tell the classic story that we all love: Homer makes mistake. Marge is mad at Homer. Homer dosen't know what to do. Homer makes everything okay somehow. Homer gets Marge back.

(By the way, in the scene where Homer watches the video Marge left him in the cabin, does Julie Cavner's voice sound a little off? Is it just me?) Oh yeah, and if Homer is messing up , where are Patty and Selma to voice their opinion? Where was Skinner? Where was Poochy? Kidding.

It felt like a stretched-out, recent episode that wasn't quite as bad as other episodes, but definitely not even remotely worthy of the big screen. For Christ's sake, if you're going to make a movie that triggers to the "New Simpson fans," at least give us Gill. Poor Gill.

Funny Acid, Bitter, Ironic – A Movie With Many Layers

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 August 2007

In Springfield, Lisa convinces the locals to clean up the polluted Lake Springfield after the sinking of the stage of the Green Day in a concert of rock and roll. Meanwhile, Homer saves a pig from being killed in Krusty Burger and adopts it, calling the animal Spider Pig. After two days, Spider Pig fills up a silo with its excrement and Homer dumps the silo in the lake, polluting it. The angry population forces the Simpsons to move to Alaska. Meanwhile the stupid president Arnold Schwarzenegger is induced by his adviser from EPA to put a dome over Springfield to hold the population and destroy the city. When Marge sees the new in the television, she tells Homer that they must return to Springfield to save their town and friends, but Homer is not convinced if people of Springfield deserve their support.

"The Simpsons Movie" is a funny, acid, bitter and ironic story, actually a movie with many layers, but never naive. For a kid, there is an ecological message in addition to the jokes, but for adults there are many witty critics to politicians, corporations and to the behavior of the paranoid society. I am not a follower of the TV series, but I liked this clever movie. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Os Simpsons - O Filme" ("The Simpsons – The Movie")

Should have done a movie when the show was funny

Author: DoctorTriciclo from Mexico
6 August 2007

I am a big fan of the first 9 seasons of The Simpsons but starting with season 10 the show has been going downhill. And this movie just proves the same.

I remember when the show was really critical of everything going on in the U.S. I haven't really seen the show in a few years but I hoped the movie would be really funny the way the old show was...but guess what? It's just as bad as the current episodes.

Just skip this movie and go watch the old episodes on DVD.

The only good thing coming out of this movie is that you can buy Krusty O s at the 7-11

Welcome to Irrelevancy

Author: coma__america from Australia
27 July 2007

The announcement of the Simpsons movie was somewhat suspect for myself and probably a lot of other Simpsons fans... Will the movie throw back to the glory days or will it become more irrelevant and terrible like the newer series'. The answer sadly is the later. The Simpsons movie contains the same played out jokes, unfunny and ridiculous situations and none of the characters that originally made the show a success had even more than maybe a scene, if at all! It's sad to see that such a great show can degenerate into the garbage that it is today. If you like the newer seasons you'll love the movie, But if you are looking for a return to the classic comedic brilliance that made the show so great avoid.

I have tried very hard to like this movie

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
20 June 2013

An 18-year wait for...this? The Simpsons movie lets the credits roll at the 77-minute mark and barely delivers anything memorable as the jumbled, unworkable script struggles through flat deviations and repetitive plot points (Homer and Marge having marriage trouble AGAIN...really???). The caustic satire and lampooning of politics that even the worst episodes of the show are laced with are utterly absent here. After 158 drafts by 15 different writers whatever original, worthy ideas they might have had are all carelessly mashed together, neutering all of them in the process.

When Lisa points out that Lake Springfield is dangerously polluted to the point of crisis, Mayor Quimby orders a clean-up. Homer disobeys and dumps a silo of pig feces in it, causing an immediate toxic surge. The EPA seal the town in a giant dome to contain the pollution, proving Grandpa's vision in church to be true. The Simpsons escape the wrath of townsfolk and flee to Alaska for a new life.

Wow! How about THAT for a horribly convoluted plot synopsis. I mean...Alaska? How could it take 18 years to come up with this? The comedic timing is just...wrong. The movie is broken on so many levels, it feels nothing like the TV show. It's such a weird, dissatisfying experience. The scope widescreen composition is very good however, and Hans Zimmer provides a truly wonderful score which is far better than his other more popular efforts in recent years.

The Simpsons Movie is not something I can watch again and again, it lacks the vital spark of the show while at the same time feeling like a 3-episode arc. Groening says it will be a very long time before we see a sequel but they really to spend that time coming up with something great? How about The Simpsons Xmas Movie? Or a 3-hour Bartman mini-series? The possibilities are endless, and this movie squanders the immense Simpsons universe on a rotten script.

To coin a phrase: It's OK, but I like their old stuff better...

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
27 December 2010

Ahhhh, The Simpsons, 20+ years and still going strong... well still going anyway.

I think breaking point for me came when I recently felt strongly enough about a new episode that I rang a friend to tell him that the new Simpsons episode was actually very good. That's depressing when you think about it, especially considering that I've been watching it (and loving it) since Day 1. It's been maybe 10 years since I could make that call and mean it.

So after nearly 20 years they decide to announce a movie at last, or realistically 10 years after at last. Once it finally did arrive though the film was pretty good, better than I expected early on... but as I will point out again and again momentum just couldn't last.

Thanks to Homer (of course) Springfield has become the most polluted city in America, in an update on Escape from New York it is "domed off" with a giant glass object from which there is apparently no escape. The inhabitants of Springfield are - as the creator of the dome puts it - trapped like carrots.

It is the events leading up to the doming and subsequent escape that showed the most promise. All of the show regulars were shown but many seemed underutilised (Burns and Smithers get maybe 1 minute total). There are some quality jokes to be had, mostly due to Homer's lack of parenting skills and people getting hurt. There is also some full Bartal nudity.

The guest star (if you can have one in a film, and I'm saying you CAN!) is Russ Cargill, the boss of the Environmental Protection Agency who places the dome to protect the Earth. He is voiced by Albert Brooks (Marlin himself!) and he gets most of the best lines in the movie, including the "trapped like carrots" one mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately though what ensues is strongly reminiscent of the show's lifespan so far;

* Great start.

* Homer gets most of the laughs.

* Marge is the voice of reason and the bringer of down.

* Lisa has a subplot that goes nowhere.

* Show runs out of momentum halfway and we must realise the best is behind us.

In fact I can now pinpoint the exact moment that the movie loses it...

35 minutes. Simpson family escapes the dome, Cargill orders around the clock surveillance, has a soft/tuff guy rant and admits to being drunk with power. It is a brilliant 30 seconds, unfortunately nothing after it comes close to being as good.

The Simpsons are pariahs in their own town and flee to Alaska, only once happily ensconsed in Palin's backyard they find out that Cargill has started to doubt his own dome and has a far more severe and permanent Plan B in mind for Springfield.

Marge and the kids set off to save the day while Homer searches for a deeper truth... which he finds when he meets a lady with giant boobs. Aren't they always the answer.

In truth Giant boob-lady is just gimmicky and tacky, the Lisa's new admirer bit was a waste of time aside from giving her a few minutes screen time and Marge has little to do in the film aside from doubt her marriage.

The first half was actually pretty great even if the only thing the dopey and impressionable remember is Spiderpig. If you watched the second half in isolation as two 20 minute episodes you would go away very unimpressed.

I still love The Simpsons, but boosting the first half of a film is a little like cheering when your sports team loses narrowly to a better opponent. An honourable defeat, but a defeat nonetheless. Despite that even though this is by no means classic it has enough good jokes and even sub-par Simpsons is still funny.

Final Rating - 7.5 / 10. All the bagging and a 7.5? As I said, average Simpsons is still pretty good. If you like The Simpsons: You will laugh. You will very likely enjoy this. (It just isn't a patch on Season 3 through say 8.)

As Good As Turning On Your TV?

Author: Bill Slocum ( from Greenwich, CT United States
1 January 2010

Early in the long-awaited, much-debated "The Simpsons Movie", legendary TV doofus Dad Homer Simpson makes a good point.

"I can't believe we're paying to see something we get on TV for free!" he tells a theater full of patrons watching the new Itchy & Scratchy movie.

Does "The Simpsons Movie" justify its long wait, not to mention the money you might have spent for cinema tickets or a DVD rental? Since I borrowed my copy from the library, I'm still wrestling with this one. I was amused and entertained, enjoying the depth of visual information that came with the feature-film budget. But I can tick off a dozen episodes from the TV show's first eight seasons that were better, tighter stories and funnier besides.

It's a bad day in Springfield when Homer decides to ignore environmental warnings and dumps a silo full of pig leavings into the local lake. The EPA seals off Springfield with a giant dome, and the Simpsons become fugitives from both the government and their frenzied fellow Springfieldians. Can Homer save the town, or will he lose his family?

Director David Silverman and the movie producers try to create a stand-alone feature film while at the same time rallying the Simpsons' deep and loyal fan base. I think they lean too hard in the latter direction. A lot of the film's gags require audience familiarity with secondary and tertiary characters from the TV show, a.k.a. the Comic Book Guy thanking Marge Simpson for letting him wear her pregnancy pants. ("I've never known comfort like this!") Who would have guessed Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel would have more lines than Mr. Burns?

The joke of Homer's stupidity is beaten to the ground like Joe Pesci in "Casino". But I laughed because it's still funny all these years on. Like Homer's trick of catching fish by dropping a bug zapper into a pond. Or his reason for choosing to move to Alaska: "Where you can't be too fat or too drunk!"

Most of the jokes are single-shot affairs, like what you get these days watching "The Simpsons" or its pale imitator, "Family Guy". The opportunity to do something appropriately novel with the old formula is largely ignored. The pollution story is neither new nor interesting. The biggest sustained laugh involves Bart skateboarding naked for its numerous hidden-weiner gags. "Listen kid, no one likes wearing clothes in public," an arresting officer tells him. "But it's the law."

The writers behind "The Simpsons" are clever enough to throw a line like that at you every few minutes, and the characters are enjoyable company that don't wear out their welcome. But I never felt I was watching anything here other than bits and pieces that would have wound up on the TV series in some form at some later time.

Given that it's "The Simpsons", and a national treasure, it's still fun to sit through "The Simpsons Movie". But like "Mt. Rushmore: The Board Game", I was left wondering about its necessity.

Not my favorite movie, but definitely a great one

Author: Poke504 from United States
6 June 2009

It's about time! The longest running animated show finally became a film. And if you were like me and anticipated it extremely, you'll feel let down. But just a little, for in my opinion it is more than just a long Simpsons episode. It has many memorable, funny aspects that only a movie could have. The main reason why I saw this is because I was curious at how they would turn this series into a movie, and I do not think that it could have been done better. Being as big of a Simpsons fan as I am, this is the movie that was worth waiting for. Without even having too much swearing, this is a film you will respect for being as good as it was without having too much innuendo. Joke-after-joke, they managed to make it a great movie along with being a feast of laughter.

Ten Years Too Late.

Author: LagerLagerLagerShouting from England
30 April 2008

Having been watching The Simpsons from its incarnation I did not know what to expect from this long overdue movie. Would it be the original, linear, character driven humour of the older episodes that could do no wrong or the fast moving, random, zany but ultimately empty episodes of the last five years. Unfortunately this film fell into the latter. I know it is all a matter of taste but for a Simpsons follower of well over a decade this movie wasn't even a patch on classic episodes through the beginning and middle seasons in particular. The main problem is the plot is ridiculous and implausible and there are just too many characters we all know and love to accommodate. To top this off the whole thing was so fast moving and random with too much stuff going on it seemed more like a sketch show than a satire. But having said this there were some funny sequences, not as much as I would have liked but some, lets face it when is The Simpsons never not funny! Its all just a shame that this wasn't made ten years ago, when The Simpsons was the best thing on television.

Not my Doodle-Lee-Doodle Movie

Author: billion_mucks from Boston
17 January 2008

Let's be honest, cult series "The Simpsons" has been decreasing in quality as long as seasons grew higher. There has been a lot of more political innuendos, more toilet humor and less classy dialogs. Well, my five doesn't go to the movie itself but to the movie as a representation of the Simpsons to the Big Screen. If we go back to early Simspons, conflicts were simple dumb and hysterical, not complicated, neither multi-layered and not critical politically but sociologically. The charm that the family shared was based on wit and an amusing essence that was separated and appointed to each character: Homer is brainless exhilarating, Marge is the average caring mother, Lisa is the Voice of Reason, Bart is the Rebel we all have. Each has it's sharp connotation.

But it seems Groening forgot that essence, that one that attracted youngsters and delighted adults. Some characters remain with the initial spark, yet Homer, Marge, Lisa and Bart seem exploited to fit into the Hollywood standards. It depraved it's natural beauty. Homer mainly. There's some unevenness in it's humor and mood that leaves me unsatisfied.

Don't get me wrong, the movie is funny and if you choose brainless fun, not to take it too serious, it will contempt you. Yet, the addition of Nudity, desire of killings, gay people, politics, pork crap, cheap sentimentalism... The formula seems for a funny pot-humor Hollywood presentation, but the Simpsons are celestial.

I had a nice laugh, but this series is sacred. You can't play with them. I enjoyed it, laughed, but I can't call it a good movie yet. Maybe it's the idea of the movie that was wrong. I find myself preferring to watch over and over again the episodes from the first seasons, where Groening wasn't yet affected by that growling Machine we call Hollywood.