IMDb > The Simpsons Movie (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Simpsons Movie

The Simpsons Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 75:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

The Simpsons Movie was Worth the Wait. Fantastic!

Author: who-two from Ireland
25 July 2007

I Don't want to give much away, but this movie truly is EPIC. The storyline is great, so is the animation. The movie is hilarious throughout, and also has one of the most emotional moments ever on The Simpsons. You can see just about every face ever on The Simpsons and they keep making subtle references, such as when Homer and Bart jump Springfield Gorge, the ambulance is still crashed into the tree.

It definitely rewards long-time fans, but it is a great movie even for those who don't watch the Simpsons. CGI only adds to the excellent drawings, and it is very cool to see them on the big screen!

If you love the Simpsons, Old or New, you will LOVE this.

Just okay

Author: Superunknovvn from Austria, Vienna
29 July 2007

There was a time when "The Simpsons" stood for the funniest, most original comedy on the planet. Somewhere around season 8 the show passed its prime, though, and since then it varies from good to okay and sometimes even insipid. I was hoping that for the movie the writers would really push themselves and come up with some really clever and new ideas one more time, but for all the years of developing that supposedly went into this, the movie seems like nothing more than an extended TV episode of latter day "Simpsons".

I have to admit that I'm not really convinced of the concept of putting an animated TV series on the big screen in the first place. Even the "South Park" movie that tried to incorporate theatrical elements such as the musical numbers didn't really justify the need for a cinematic adventure. Most animated comedy shows have a very fast paced humor with quick editing. This works for an episode of 25-30 minutes, but in a movie with 90 minutes running time it would become too exhausting for the audience. Therefore the whole thing has to be slowed down, which in return takes away a lot of the show's comedic appeal. It's a lose-lose situation as they say.

As a consequence "The Simpsons Movie" is unusually slow at times. At the same time the storyline is not really stretched to cinematic proportions. Epic as it may be, similar topics have already been dealt with in the TV show (and better). It's been said before and it's true: nothing here tries to push any boundaries and except for the length of the whole thing (and maybe some annoying people in the theater who watch the movie with you) you would never realize that this is a "Simpsons"-motion picture.

Other flaws include the fact that some inhabitants of Springfield have only very brief cameos (Mr. Burns!) and that some ideas have been used in a fairly similar way before. As entertaining as the movie still may be, it is also pretty predictable at times. This kind of "underachieving", as some critic called it, may have its own charm, but in the end one would have hoped for this to be a bit more special. The movie is by no means a catastrophe, but by "Simpsons"-standards it's just not good enough.

"The Simpsons" have become a brand. People know what to expect and therefore applaud even a relatively average movie like this one. To rely on that is a bit lazy, however, and one wishes that producers put an end to Homer's adventures as long as we can still remember him and the other beloved inhabitants of Springfield as characters that completely revolutionized comedy at one point and not as money making merchandising props.

Not very original or funny

Author: ultimecia_omega from United Kingdom
30 July 2007

This post contains some mild spoilers.

The long awaited Simpsons Movie has arrived and at first glance it seems to be doing really well. It's had some good reviews in the media and it's doing well on IMDb. Im not particularly sure why though.

I found The Simpsons Movie to be an overly long episode of the later seasons quality. The "funny" gags were few and far between (Spider Pig just was not funny), there wasn't nearly enough screen time for some of the fan favourite characters (skinner, moe, barney...for example) but i can understand its hard to please everyone in such a limited amount of time. The overall plot of the story felt no different to what you might see in your average episode and used the same old routines we have grown tired of (Marge leaving homer, the town of springfield VS simpsons, nelsons laughing are some examples).

The animation was top notch as you would expect and i particularly enjoyed the music which didn't quite feel like your average Simpsons music but i thought it matched the movie quite well.

After such a long wait and much hype i can honestly say i was disappointed with The Simpsons Movie. Perhaps i was expecting too much though. Nevertheless i would still recommend seeing this movie, it was still entertaining and it did have some stellar laugh out loud moments (moe's bar scene was hilarious), just nowhere near enough for a Simpsons Movie. 6/10

Total crap.

Author: shiftage from United States
2 August 2007

Cheesy, boring, full of random unnecessary references to the show- this movie sucked ass.

I guess I was spoiled by the simpsons: seasons 3-8. This movie lacked the characters we liked: Barney for his alcoholism, Moe for his lack of dignity, Principal Skinner for his strictness, Burns for his evil. It seems the writers used the characters at completely random moments to remind us this was the simpsons we were watching, and not some corny family movie.

Failed, lame, sophomoric humor is the opposite of what made the simpsons classic in it's golden years: witty, fast-paced, and intelligent.

The retarded writing-troop that comprised the movie introduced boring, low-brow characters like the head of the EPA (my brain pushed his name out, thank you brain!), that native American (the boob thing was lame), and re-invented an old favorite- McBain, or more commonly known as- Arnold Schwarzenegger. Don't count on Arnold spouting any good lines such as "we had script problems from day one" or "the goggles...", just sit back, relax, and prepare to be bored.

I can handle a minute or two of corny resolution in the show with marge and homer. Not this. This is over the top, borderline romantic-comedy-starring-jennifer-aniston-cheese. I mean george-clooney-smiling-and-sandra-bullock-falling-over-cheesy. Prepare, brave movie goer, for many moments of homer missing marge, marge admitting she doesn't love homer, homer redeeming himself, things we have seen in the show that we don't miss.

Side plots like Lisa falling in love with an irish douche are not funny or interesting. I just wonder why they threw that in. Any ideas?

Maggie is being developed as the silent magnificent force, much like a Silent-Bob-type character. She gives a saves-the-day-salute at the end. Shoot me.

I'm spent. I could ramble all day and night how bad this is, but until you have seen it, you won't know. You shouldn't know. Call me traitor, call me convert, just go to the store and rent the Family Guy movie. God help me, there's better writing in it. God help us all.

A Homer with Bases Loaded.

Author: sallyfifth from the great north
27 July 2007

Just about everything I could have hoped for from a Simpsons movie including the heart the show has been lacking for several seasons now. If you like the easy breathing pace of the early years of The Simpsons you'll find a lot to like in the movie. The gags are leisurely and natural and even when they fail (Comic Book Guy comes to mind), another drops in to pick up the laugh. What's most surprising, in addition to a much needed return to consistent characters, is that the movie manages to balance the plot and the gags with near perfection. Regardless what you may think going in, it does feel like a "real" movie from beginning to end and not just an extended show. Albert Brooks once again steals the show as the Director of the EPA, though Tom Hanks does the best celebrity cameo the show has seen in ages. "tousle my hair Mr. Hanks!"

If you really love the Simpsons, then you have to love this movie.

Author: petergirsberger from Switzerland
22 July 2007

No doubt, this movie is as good as the TV show. There is an excellent story, which is entertaining in every single moment. The film focuses on the family Simpson, so you might miss some of you favorite characters like Sideshow Bob, Apu or Mr. Burns. But this really doesn't matter, because you can see these characters in the show and it is not necessary, that they appear a lot in the movie. Instead there are some new characters, for example the president Arnold Schwarzenegger, who is very funny. There is also a nice cameo of a very big star, which is very surprising.

Every joke makes you laugh. There are excellent quotes and great moments. Dan Castellanata does a very good job again. Homer is as funny as in the show.

The Simpsons Movie might be the funniest animation movie ever made. You can laugh the whole film through. For Simpsons Fan it will be the best of all feelings to watch this movie.

Funny, just not 'Simpsons' funny

Author: davidee88 from United Kingdom
28 July 2007

I began watching this film (as I'm sure everyone who owns a television set did) with optimistically high expectations. The end product being what all fans' pessimistic side feared. This was a watered down version of the Simpsons, reliant on the steadfast fan base it has rightfully built up over the years. This film was a disappointment. Perhaps though, no more of a disappointment than the last couple of seasons of the television show, with a few notable exceptions.

What made The Simpsons great was the charade of face value humour, perfectly complimenting the blissfully bloated underbelly of well developed, meaningful and satirical jokes. This film was sorely lacking anything but the most basic of jokes. Non-stop visual and slapstick gags... although great, in moderation, after eighty-seven minutes of them - I was left wondering if the film's script would have had to have been modified in any way whatsoever if the characters were substituted for that of, say, 'Spongebob Squarepants'. The obvious exception of course being the underwater setting.

This film lacked all of the Simpsons' distinction that we have all come to love over the years. The Simpsons movie is not even worthy of a 'Krusty Brand Seal of Approval' for authenticity.

The Simpsons have left many fans conflicted over the past couple of years. Feeling a sense of loyalty and reliance to the show, yet always expecting it to sink further and further as far as well thought out story lines and dialogue go.

This movie is a further indication that with the Simpsons, from here until their cancellation or retirement, there will always be a sense of frustratingly oxymoronic anticipated disappointment.

"SpiderPig" does not a great movie make

Author: fishbeef from United States
5 August 2007

"The Simpsons Movie" is remarkable only in that it manages to encapsulate in 90 painful minutes EVERYTHING that has been wrong with the show for the last ten years: ridiculous plot lines that are abandoned without resolution; a superhuman, idiot Homer who has no brain whatsoever and cannot be killed no matter what physical harm is inflicted on him (apparently the only person in the Simpsons universe with such an ability); jokes that lack subtlety; pointless cameo appearances; and an overall show of disdain towards its audience.

The Simpsons should really have ended a decade ago when they ran out of ideas. Since then, every plot line on the show has followed the exact same themes with more and more absurd actions thrown in to reach the same conclusion. Every single paper-thin plot line in The Simpsons Movie is one that has been done before in the series, and better: Homer gets redemption for his stupidity and saves his marriage with Marge. Lisa spearheads an environmental movement with unexpected consequences. The town of Springfield is threatened (and nearly destroyed) by an outside force. Bart shows his rebel side while secretly pining for proper guidance. The Simpson family goes on another CRAAAZY trip to an exotic location. Homer adopts a silly animal. Maggie says yet ANOTHER "first" word.

Spare me it all.

It took eleven screenwriters to make this dreck. Eleven!!! And this is the best they could come up with?! It doesn't advance the show at all, it only keeps it at the same downward pace it's been at for at least ten years. The only people who will truthfully enjoy this movie (without simply fooling themselves) are children who are too young to remember the "glory years" of The Simpsons. They're the only ones who will be accustomed to the low-quality version of the show we've been peddled for so long. As I write this review the film is somehow in the Top 250 on IMDb. If there's any justice in this world, The Simpsons Movie will drop to its proper location - the void of the Forgettable - as soon as possible.

An unbiased and fair review from a long time simpsons fan

Author: buffsin2003 from United States
27 July 2007

It seemed inevitable that one day, a simpsons movie would wind up on the silver screen. It was surprising that it took 18 years or so after the families conception for it to happen, but it did, and it couldn't have come at a better time.

Most Simpsons fans have realized that the quality of the TV show dropped tremendously around five years ago. While in the glory days of the show (seasons 4-8 in my opinion) almost every episode was an unforgettable and instant classic, and the show was widely regarded as the funniest, and perhaps the best thing on television. However, something happened along the way. Perhaps it was just the writers running out of ideas, or trying too hard to be funny, or a combination of both, but the simpsons lost its appeal to many fans. Once, watching The simpsons was once a joyous, weekly thing, now, it has become the kind of thing that happens every now and then, when your bored and don't have anything else to do after a watching a football game. Many feared that the movie would resemble the newer seasons, and with good reason. However, I kept optimistic and held my hopes for a great movie firm, and i got what I wanted. The Simpsons movie is clever, memorable, and truly funny with gags bombarding the audience seemingly several times a second. That being said, it is not without its faults.

The movie, as many of you have probably heard, is only around 90 minutes long- nowhere near long enough to fit the seemingly thousands of memorable characters fans have become attached to over the years. The creators definitely tried their best, though. While there may not have been enough Apu, or Burns or Skinner, they all make appearances and have their memorable lines. And, perhaps my favorite simpsons character, Ralf Wiggum, has what is likely his funniest line ever. Overall, the use of characters was satisfactory and I don't have many complaints, although some die hards may.

The plot of the movie is also damaged by the time constraints, and more severely than the use of characters. The plot definitely feels rushed- there's so many things that will leave you wondering, "Well, who started this whole thing? Why did this all just happen so suddenly with only a small bit of explanation?" This is where I just learned to accept it. I filled in the holes on my own, and allowed myself to be entertained by my favorite characters and the funny political satire flowing throughout the film. It's all as dead on and witty as it was in the golden days, and maybe thats enough for me.

So in conclusion, I must ask myself this question- Simpsons of the Glory Days, or the Simpsons of today? The answer comes quite easily: This movie is Old School Simpsons, for the most part. Yes, the movie does have some unfunny random humor, Yes, it does have a few too many "homer falls down" jokes, and yes, it tries too hard at some times. But, between all that, perhaps in spite of it, there are shining moments of greatness that allows the simpsons to stand amongst the funniest movies of the year- and thats saying a lot, considering we had Knocked Up back in June. And The Simpsons Movie delivers all of this hilarity with a plot line with messages about protecting the environment and corruption in our government, and sends those messages without too much in your face preaching. The whole movie left me wanting more, hoping for a sequel. Not because the movie was unfullfilling, but because i know that after this movie, the creators will have the skill and wisdom to create the perfect simpsons movie- they set themselves on the right track with this movie.

Most Disappointing Movie Ever.

Author: FrankSalazar from United States
30 July 2007

As a die-hard Simpsons fan, I felt very disappointed with the feature film debut from the greatest sitcom ever. The Simpsons movie never reaches the heights of its TV counterpart. The first 22 Minutes or so are right up there with there with above average to good episodes of the greatest sitcom ever. The jokes in first 22 minutes are abundant and intelligent. The laughs really begin to dry up when the hideous story takes shape and we are left with environmentalist crap where Homer's small silo of pig poop and his own poop contaminated the already massively polluted Lake Springfield to the point where the Schwarzenegger led government puts a massive dome over the town of Springfield. For a good twenty minutes the film is largely laugh less. The theater was also. The movie does not really recover and rarely musters more than few chuckles. The denouement is less than impressive by Simpsons standards. The extensive cast characters are relegated to background and bit players at best. Many favorites are absent or left little to say and do. The writers take more easy outs than we see in the worst episodes and the movie itself plays it safe a little too often. The movie is seems to be a more dumbed down version of the show. Yet there is still much to recommend about the show we all love so much and for so long. The characters retain their depth and truth. The tone is consistent with the current episodes, which may be part of the problem for some. The story and the lack of big laughs are the movies greatest faults. The Simpsons Movie, which runs longer than 3 episodes is not even as funny 3 bad episodes, but it is funnier my 3 least favorite episodes. It is great that (Albert) A. Brooks puts is another funny appearance. Though Russ Cargill is not nearly as funny as Hank Scorpio or even Jacques the bowling alley gigolo. The movie a disappoint on many levels is a must see for any longtime Simpson fan. Not the funniest movie ever nor the worst movie ever. Not even close. But as one of the biggest Simpsons fans in the world for me it is the Most Disappointing Movie Ever.

Page 2 of 75:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]