IMDb > Rambo (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rambo

Rambo More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 72:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Rambo is back and better than ever!

Author: Norse_Sage from Akershus, Norway
22 January 2008

I saw this at an advance screening in Oslo, and going in, I didn't expect it to be any more than a cheesy and somewhat gory tribute to eighties actioners by a star/director/producer/writer who was desperate to relive past glory. That latter may or may not be true, but my former assessment was plain wrong. This movie is authentic, shocking and unlike any other comparable movie.

Given its genre, the movie is a masterpiece. The story is simple but solid, and works on several levels. The action scenes are unparalleled, more intense than "Black Hawk Down", "Saving Private Ryan" and "Stalingrad" put together. The level of brutality and gore will shock and fascinate, and no doubt cause some level of controversy.

Stallone proves himself to be an excellent director, as well as in excellent shape for his age. I had little faith in him going in, and I stand corrected.

This is a Rambo who has come to terms with who and what he is, in a movie that holds up when compared with the original "First Blood". Well done, Sly. Well done indeed.

Return of the action movie as we know it

Author: mknez from Zagreb, Croatia
25 January 2008

First of all, let me start by saying John Rambo is a masterpiece. They don't make them like this anymore. It is a return of the classic action movie of the 80's and 90's but with a touch of modern directing. Some will say it is gory, some will says it has no plot. But let's be honest, nobody wants a dramatic twist or a deeper meaning when they go to see Rambo! And even if you want to, you can still find it in traces. John Rambo is a killing machine but he is also a guy with strong moral values so if you are really looking for a message it is there to be seen. Other than that it is a full blooded action movie that will strap you to your seat for whole 95 minutes!

Stallone is still here!

Author: misel982001 from Greece
20 January 2008

During his career, Sylvester Stallone gave the audience many great times to remember him.From Rocky and Rambo, to Demolition Man and Shade, Stallone was always a true super star. As an almost exclusive action films actor, he brought to the audience for over three decades, high quality action movies. However, aging is always a problem for such actors and Stallone could escape it....a little though! His physical condition is tremendous! Let's not forget that he is almost 62. It is a fact that his last films did not manage to reach the quality of his previous successes. Driven, D-Tox, Avenging Angelo and Shade, were really good films indeed but their shine was not as big as Rocky or Rambo. That is why Stallone returned with his major two success roles. Rocky Balboa was excellent and meaningfull. Now it is time for...John Rambo! This film is simply excellent. Although it is mostly an action movie it has also deeper meanings such as ethical values and political messages. Just like Rocky Balboa, John Rambo uses the formula of the first movie mixed with this of the forth!Monosylabic dialogues from Rambo meet the political messages of the activists, The violent reaction of Rambo towards the brutal soldiers is justified by his ethical code with a deeper meaning that oppresion and injustice generates strong reaction! Acting as a whole, is very good and convincing. Stallone is really born to be Rambo and the supporting cast is made by young actors who meet the quality standards of Milo Ventimiglia. The project budget is 50m so as you understand there are many real-like explosions and effects. What is new is the ultra violent death scenes. They really look true!The story is interesting although ,as you expect, not complicated. To summarize, John Rambo is one of the best action movies that 2008 will probably bring to us.Also it is a must to see because not only it is a really good movie but also because it is the last Rambo film. Stallone even if he is 62, looks no more than 45 and his condition is impressive. A must for all action film fans and not only by them, Rambo is a really good film and you should not miss it.

Just look at the tagline: "Heroes never die........they just reload."

Author: rhapsody-zaman from Bangladesh
25 January 2008

Just watch it, words don't justify it! People didn't believe Sly still had it, but they were so wrong. After the the great performance at Rocky Balboa I expected another great performance for him. But this was even better than I imagined. You don't have to be an Stallone fan to enjoy this movie. If you like action movies, this one is for you. A word of caution though, this isn't for the light hearted, there are some serious violence in this movie. I am gonna say this is one of the best action movies I have seen in a long time. But you don't have to take my word for it, just watch it. It's better than the previous Rambo films. Expcept for about 15 minutes in the middle, the whole film is action packed. You can't possibly be bored. If you hate action movie or if you have something against violence, this isn't for you. But if you are not, than sit back and enjoy the legend that is Rambo for one last time.

Rated "R" for Rambo

Author: Ryan Neighbors from United States
26 January 2008

OH the Haustacity. Yes...I will say it again, HAUSTASTIC!!!! Rambo at his best...I don't care, he may be old, but crap man. This movie is awesome.

Stallone definitely took a step towards the Mel Gibson approach in making it realistic. That is what a .50 caliber round does to a man. The genocide scenes are rough and graphic...definitely not for young audiences, but for everyone else. HAUSOME!!!

The story is solid. It doesn't take long at all to get to the action. This is a must see for any person looking for some great action.

Rated "R" for Ridiculous, rampaging, reoccurring Rambo

This was easily one of the best action movies.

Author: Rawal Shahjahan (tribal_floorfilla) from United Arab Emirates
24 January 2008

Being a huge Sylvester Stallone fan, I was more than happy just seeing him on screen again, and I would usually just be content watching any movie with Stallone, and that's what I went in expecting. But hell, was I wrong, this had me jumping up from my seat every 2 minutes. This had one hell of a message, and wasn't just a mindless action movie with gore. I loved each bit of the movie, and watching Stallone act so well was a total pleasure. It was also kind of shocking at how Stallone is still in physical form, considering his age. He was very flexible for his age, and that's also what helped push the movie further. Also, his ruthlessness in regards to the injustice. Overall, a brilliant 10/10 if you ask me.

Rambo is simply great!!!

Author: zdenkolino from Croatia
25 January 2008

Rambo is a great action movie and reminds me on how the action movies were made in 80's. The plot is developing very fast and the pacing is very good. Sly is doing all his stunts and doesn't speak much. Mercenaries were good in my opinion and without them the movie would be to unbelievable and unrealistic.

Rambo displays the war like I've never seen it before and believe me I've watched many war movies. Camera is beautiful, music is perfect and fits to the action scenes. Bryan Tyler's take on Goldsmith "Home coming" theme is in the beginning and in the end of the movies (ending is great).

I have 3 objections: 1. - the acting of Julie Benz was too unbelievable to me. 2. - maybe more drama and less action (not necessarily). 3. -camera work in some places is to "shaky" for my taste, but on the other hand it gives a lot of tension to the action.

Everything else is great.

My expectations were high and now I am pleasantly surprised. I had my doubts about the movie (especially after some negative critic reviews), but now all I have to say thank you Sly for giving us Rambo IV.

I must say the movie may not be for everyone because of violence, but I think every Rambo fan and fans of the action movies of the 80's will be happy with this movie. My theater was filled .

I hope it does well at the US box-office because Sly deserves it. I have no doubt that the movie will be success in other parts of the world also.

Rambo is definitely back!!!

An modern 80s action movie that pulls no punches.

Author: DrStrangeFate from West Coat, USA.
28 January 2008

Rambo is an 80s-style action movie with modern sensibilities. Stallone is not a one-man army as in previous movies but rather a dogged old soldier that comes to terms with what he actually is while racking up a body count that would make Tarintino proud. In many ways, this movie parallels Rocky Balboa as a mature ending to a series of sometimes over-the-top but fun action movies. John Rambo in this movie is an aging but potent killing machine that for the first time since First Blood accomplishes his mission in a very believable manner. The action is visceral and downright gory at times surpassing the hard-core scenes of Omaha Beach in Saving Private Ryan. The film pulls no punches when showing exactly what a Barret .50 caliber sniper rifle can do to a human body. Stallone mutters only a very few lines of dialog in this movie... there's no speeches or patriotic flag waving going on here but there is a clear lesson on how well liberal idealism holds up under barbaric realities amid genocide and war.

A must see but not one for the kiddies.

Pure action!! Solid Movie.

Author: chrisalsop1213 from Canada
25 January 2008

Rambo is without question a sick action movie and Stallone has proved himself again as an intense actor and as a solid director. This installment combines elements from all three previous movies but this one had a much more realistic feel. Yes some dialog is questionable and there are a few, albeit brief, scenes that don't quite work, but make no mistake, this movie takes no prisoners. Stallone slips back into the role with ease and his supporting players do an admirable job. Critics will whine as they always do about the excessive violence, gore and lack of story. (Stick to giving awful movies like The Skeleton Key thumbs up guys). The ironic thing is that Rambo actually gives a vivid and some would say accurate portrayal of war. It has a similar feel to Black Hawk Down and borrows its chaotic action. Rambo pulls no punches...It's brutality, violence and gore are rooted in reality. Gone is the "fun" action of 2 and 3. It is replaced with realism which amounts to some of the best and most intense action sequences I've ever seen. My only real gripe with the film was scenes that were sped up in post. (No big deal)

Finally, the integrity of the series as a whole has been kept in tact. Everything from the music, to the action to the character to the final scene. An extremely well crafted movie. Rambo/action fans will not be disappointed...And neither will the critics who rave about The Princess Diaries

tag line says all, the year's first great action movie.

Author: SpikeFortress from Canada
25 January 2008

A straight action film only Stallone could deliver. Nobody else could direct such an uncompromising pursuit of battle. The battle sequences of this movie are glorious and violent in a way that is special, a new extreme level of tension was achieved in my opinion and I don't say this in blind excitement.

This movie delivers a movie-high that is not often attempted. Movies usually hold back or simply fail at achieving visceral action and instead try to balance themselves between action, plot, drama, comedy, etc, and in many cases in modern films this only lowers the quality of the experience. The downfall of Rambo you could say is its small concern for character drama, indeed the scenes looking at the female lead and the mercenary group are pretty poorly acted (though this allows the scenes to focus on Stallone's disregard for their antics, it can get annoying to sit through).

The mercenary group's character were so over the top in acting however it came off like farce to me which was actually really entertaining, seeing their macho lines fall dead in the air, Stallone giving them no respect.

The battles were glorious even if the film has flaws, but it focuses on the battle as it should, and achieves glorious cinematic victory. Great experience.

Page 1 of 72:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]