IMDb > The Punisher (1993) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Punisher (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Great beat-em-up indeed!

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
7 June 2005

This game really needs a re-release on the GBA. It's perfect hand-held fodder. But don't let that put you off if you see it in the arcade. It's a great button-basher, especially if playing with a pal.

In 2-player mode you play as both Frank Castle and Nick Fury blasting your way through loads of the Kingpin's thugs through varied locations with mental power-ups and weapons (guns included). Yes, it's the same old beat-em-up stuff you've seen in countless other games but this time around the comic-book edge and blood spatters make it worthwhile. The graphics are also very cool, mimicking Marvel comic-book artwork and every other time you punch someone the words 'POW!' or 'WHAM!' will flash up on the screen.

You'll have a great time playing this Punisher game. It's probably somewhat overshadowed by the new Punisher movie and game (which is a lot more bloodier and brutal), which means that a new console port is unlikely but I would still love to see this on the GBA.

This should be in every arcade in America

Author: Plattman1989 from United States
9 February 2006

This game wasn't in my arcade, so I had to download it off of the internet and play it with MAME. Although this isn't Capcom's first side-scrolling beat-em-up game (Final Fight in 1989), it is definitely their best, with a Q-Surround sound system and excellent digitized graphics. A player can kill the enemy with methods ranging from a simple knockout to a gruesome slaughter with a battle axe, and plenty of gun action in there as well. Everything about this game is interactive. Play as bloodthirsty Frank Castle or cool, collected Nick Fury (with the cigar and the eyepatch) and prepare for level after level of carnage.

Also, this game has one of the most dramatic continue screens that I have ever seen. For those of you who haven't played it, I won't spoil it for you, but for those who have, you know what I'm talking about.

In conclusion, play this game by whatever means necessary, and enjoy sweet, sweet revenge at a cost of only 25 cents.

One of my favourite side-scrollers

Author: Hazzer_99 from London, England
7 October 2005

This is better than any other arcade beat-'em-up I've ever played. It has the style and sophistication of games such as Streets of Rage, but as it was made for the arcade and not a console it lacks any real storyline. But it has plenty of nice features like the "bang" and "whack" appearing on screen, and plenty of special moves like dropping grenades or executing special hyper-kicks if basic button combinations are pressed (i.e. jump & punch; double-forward & punch etc.). Would be great for the GBA, and is still worth your money if you can find it in an arcade! The Punisher looks just as he did in the original comics, as does Nick Fury, so it gives the real 'old-school' feel to the game. It is great to play with a mate as both Castle and Fury have very similar basic moves, yet still relatively different special moves. Plenty of thugs to take out, and at certain points in the level you will pull out your trusty Colt .45 sidearm, and with an unlimited supply of ammo you can blast away all your enemies - a short refreshing break from constant hand-to-hand fighting. All in all an excellent game, and not one to be missed if the opportunity arises!