IMDb > GhostWatcher 2 (2005) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

GhostWatcher 2 (V) More at IMDbPro »

Make another one NOW!!!

Author: joannafannadanna from Greenwich, CT
28 October 2005

How in the hell does a movie like this go straight to DVD and a piece of mummified crap like THE FOG gets delivered to theaters?! Talk about unfair. Hacks like Rupert Wainwright and Uwe Boll-the worst director ever in the history of the entire world-continue to be able to make big budget films and people who actually know how to make horror movies get pushed to the back of the shelf? At least the Ghostwatcher movies are original and actually care about scaring the audience. If the original Ghostwatcher was remade with a big budget and some stars it would be the biggest horror hit of the year and at least that would make sense. Why has no one thought of this? Well, at least someone is still making movies for the horror audience and not a bunch of teenyboppers. The makers of this movie really came through this time.

Laura takes over the Elizabeth role and tries to help a teenager who is hearing voices. What those voices are and where they're coming from was a total surprise to me and makes for the best scene in the whole movie. The ending is pretty downbeat but works because it is so well done.

The thing I liked best about this movie is that the director didn't feel the need to throw in an African-American caricature who runs around screaming like an idiot (again, see THE FOG). Is anyone besides me sick of seeing that? And he doesn't spell everything out for the audience but instead lets them figure some things out for themselves. He uses classic scare tactics to get the audience on the edge of their seat instead of jamming it full of crappy CGI (there is some of that too but it actually looks really good in this one). In short, this is the kind of horror film they used to make back in the 70's when horror films were actually good and were more about story and character than how much we can make the first weekend because the newest TV star is in it. If you're as sick of the new wave of horror as I am, check this one out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

And a plea to the director-please continue to make horror films in the future. You're the only one who seems to know what we want.

Finally, a horror movie worth watching...

Author: DJStevieWayne from New York, New York
29 October 2005

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting a whole lot when I picked up this movie off the blockbuster shelf. I thought the first one was pretty bad but was curious to see if they had improved themselves. And besides, everything else I wanted to see was rented. So I got it, took it home and prepared for a crappy looking but marginally scary low budget horror flick. Boy was I wrong.

Ghostwatcher2 is one of the best horror movies to come down the pike in a long time and I've seen most of them, folks. I've only watched it once so for all I know there are lots of things to pick apart but I was so wrapped up in it that I didn't notice a one.

The first movie looked like it cost all of $10.98. But someone must have seen potential because the new one can stand side by side with anything that has been released on the big screen and that takes a budget and people who know what to do with it. The danceclub scene alone is better looking than anything in the first film and that's one of the reasons why this one is so much more enjoyable. Instead of being locked in one room for almost the whole movie (even though that did have it's claustrophobic charm) the sequel moves out into the world and delivers more scares (one character being sucked into a closet really got me) and allows for greater things to happen to the characters.

The acting is definitely of higher caliber than your usual horror movie acting. My personal favorite was the actor who played Glen, Steve Polites. Although not a major character, he plays it with just enough charm and comedic timing to make him completely believable. In the movie's most crowd pleasing moment, his reaction to getting hit is priceless. I think we should expect to see bigger things from everyone in the cast in the future.

And kudos to the filmmakers for pulling off that ending. Could it have benefited from more money? Sure but I didn't care because I was so happy that the director had the balls to not chicken out and go all the way with his idea that I was willing to overlook it. Great job all around.

A great movie for Halloween

Author: apocalipspow from Birmingham, MI
28 October 2005

Ah, yes, it's Halloween once again and time for the onslaught of "scary" movies to flood the multiplexes and video stores (or Netflix if you swing that way). We've already been subjected to THE FOG (garbage) and at the time of this writing SAW 2 is poised to hit theaters (this time the killer will lay on the floor for 22 hours just to prove how crazy he is, and was anyone really begging for a sequel to that movie anyway?). If you're like me, you want something scary to watch this time of year and you've already exhausted your DVD collection and don't want to trek to the theater because you can watch commercials at home for free. If this sounds familiar, you're in luck.

Ghostwatcher 2 is a great movie to watch this year (I don't know how it would fare the rest of the year, but I'm definitely adding it to my annual film festival on that night of nights). It's an unusual and ambitious horror film that doesn't treat its audience like a group of mongoloid idiots and has more than a few good scares to goose you when you least expect it.

Short synopsis: Tracy Cain suffers trauma from a car accident and soon after begins hearing voices which drive her to the point of seizures. Exhausting all other avenues, her father hires the Ghostwatcher, Laura Kove, to investigate and find out what's what. That's all you should know before you watch this movie because the fun is in discovering the source of the voices along with the characters. I will tell you that a very nasty ghost is involved (and if you don't already know that, you're really not paying attention) and that more lives may be at stake than just Laura's.

So, if you're in the mood, turn down the lights, pop this one in on Halloween night and go along for the ride. I will be. And hopefully next year Mr. Cross will give me another one to add to my collection.

A creepy follow up to Ghostwatcher

Author: Allen Richrards from B-Independent.com
2 October 2005

I went to the premier of GHOSTWATCHER 2 last night and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It's a far more ambitious story with greater emphasis on characters.

Directer David Cross excels at creating tension, something that hard for microcinema movie makers to achieve when shooting on video. He's even able to achieve a few good jump scares.

The acting is far superior than the standard shot on video horror effort, and credit needs to be given to Julia Pickens who plays Tracy Cain. Her performance stands out as she convincingly portrays the full emotional spectrum. If she's able to maintain this level of acting, she's destined for stardom.

Great Film with New Stars!

Author: therealjettaman from United States
11 October 2005

I saw this movie in the theatres and was genuinely creeped out. Having never saw the first Ghostwatcher, I wasn't sure what to expect--did I need to see the first one to know who the characters were, was I going to be able to follow the storyline?, but director David Cross allows the film to be understood and flow for people not familiar with his first film. The actor that stood out the most to me was Vince Eustace who played the Darius Blake character. This guy gave me the creeps the same way Michael Jackson did when he was a zombie in the best music video ever made--Thriller (you remember music videos right, kids? Those things that used to play on MTV?) My ear drum is still recovering from my wife screaming in my ear when the Darius Blake character popped out of nowhere. This is the first "scary movie" that gave me a nightmare. The actors in this film, especially Vince Eustace, are bound to become big movie stars. I definitely recommend getting this movie when it comes out on DVD so that when these actors are huge Hollywood stars, you can say that you remember when they were in indie films

Another Clock Watcher

Author: ghoulieguru from The Movie Crypt
16 January 2006

After the horrible experience I had while watching the original Ghost Watcher, I was seriously considering just leaving this one on the shelf. I guess I was in a masochistic mood, because I rented it anyway. Thankfully, this sequel is nowhere near as rotten as the original and I was able to sit through the whole thing without falling asleep or throwing my television out the window. The bar was set pretty low after the last one, so I can't say that I'm surprised that this was a better movie, but better doesn't necessarily mean good and it still had me watching the clock to see when it was going to end.

In Ghost Watcher Deux, this Goth chick gets into a car accident with her mother in which the mom is killed, but the Goth girl survives because she can somehow heal unnaturally fast. After the accident, Goth chick starts hearing voices. She has all these nightmares during class and she's not sleeping well. Her dad is worried about her, so he calls the Ghost Watcher for help. For those of you who didn't see the first movie, the Ghost Watcher a female Ghostbuster who goes around helping people cope with their spectral issues. With the Ghost Watcher's help, the Goth girl finds out that she's actually hearing the names of people who are going to die. From that point on, this movie becomes a low budget version of the Mothman Prophecies.

This sequel is not much of an improvement from a story standpoint, and the acting is just as bad as it was in the first Ghost Watcher movie. However, the production values on this one are slightly better, and it seems like the director is learning something about how to shoot a horror movie. There were a couple moments in this movie that were almost scary, but it never really got there. And points taken off for the use of really horrible music by struggling local garage bands. If the writer/director continues to improve exponentially, maybe by Ghost Watcher 5 or 6 I'll be willing to write a more positive review. For now, the Ghost Watcher series is still lucky to scrape by with two stars.

Much better than Hollywood films

Author: steelethedeal from Brandon, FL
28 October 2005

The state of current horror movies is in bad shape. Current Hollywood horror movies suck. Thank god for DVD since it gives an outlet to movie makers who understand why we watch these damn things in the first place. Yes, most of the DVD horror movies suck too but every once in a while you're able to come across one that really does it well. Last year, it was Ghostwatcher. This year its Ghostwatcher II.

Expanding on the original idea, this movie is enjoyable even if you haven't seen the first one. Most of the characters are new save for Laura Kove who returns to help a girl who is going through a problem similar to the one she herself experienced in part 1. Instead of the slow buildup of the first movie, this one starts off with a bang as a young girl , Tracy, experiences a terrible car accident and is then stabbed as she sits bleeding on the side of the road. Flash forward three months and Tracy has undergone a change for the worse, becoming a delinquent who regularly disobeys her father. When she starts hearing voices that become so loud they are physically crippling, her father hires Laura to find out whats going on. This is all that I will reveal since going along for the ride and trying to figure it out along with Laura is half the fun. I won't give away the ending but its not what I expected and thats a good thing. Not everything is tied up nice and neat. I watched the movie twice and found things on a second viewing that pointed directly to the ending that I didn't see the first time. The fact that the movie is not going to have a happy ending is basically braodcasted at the very beginning if you're paying attention so don't expect one. Once you know it and watch the movie again, you'll have a different appreciation of some of the conversations and clues that are dropped.

The film has less jump scares than the original but it is able to maintain a feeling of dread that sort of petered out in the first movie. By the time the climax comes, mirroring the beginning of the movie, you're totally invested in these characters and what their fates will be.

The acting is top drawer from start to finish. An argument between Laura and her boyfriend turned out to be one of my favorite scenes and Tracy and Laura have more than one emotional scene together including one where Laura recounts what happened to her in the first film that is very well acted. The ghost is also more of a character this time, interacting with the characters and taunting them as he unspools his plan. I found that more than a little unsettling since the villain in these kinds of movies usually remains mute throughout.

All in all, this movie is well worth the time, especaially when most of the other so-called "horror movies" out there suck. And make sure you watch the special features for a hilarious take-off on a really bad horror movie called the Last Halloween part 2. With our luck, that movie will be opening at your local cineplex and garner 20 million on its first weekend. As bad as it is, its no worse than the stuff thats out there now.

The Directors eyes were bigger than his stomach

Author: amichaelrivera80 from United States
3 January 2006

This film was very ambitious but it failed to live up to the goals that the director set for it. It had some interesting Ideas, but the dialog seemed wooden, The principles particularly the actresses playing the sisters did considerably well considering what they were given to work with, but the end result looked like a high school theater club. The special effects were shoddy at best, CGI shouldn't be done unless it's being done by professionals like ILM or WETA. The Donny Darko plot twist at the end was just uninspired, and it seemed like the director killed off half the main characters to fill the gaping plot hole at the end. What started off with promise ended in an uninspired and anti-climatic mess. The one highlight of the film was Seregon O'Dassey, She's the only person I saw in this film that has the right combination of looks and talent to actually go somewhere, hopefully some better projects will cross her path.

All good reviews of this movie must come from the makers themselves! AVOID!

Author: Pitus
11 November 2005

Almost a total waste of time, unfortunately ... What I find most annoying is the positive comments I've read at IMDb - who wrote them? 10-year olds who were happy to see bare breasts for a few seconds and were drooling so much they couldn't remember or see the rest? Seriously, I understand this is a low budget "movie", but if I were to take a camera and make a movie, I'd at least attempt to make it realistic while this one was just pathetic, most of the time.

For example (I don't think these are spoilers but keep reading at your own risk) - has anyone making this movie ever tied someone to a table? I mean, gosh ... bend your knees girl and your feet will be released from the rope, no matter how tight it is, and why is she not able to move her hands tied by wrists? Well, at least at first as she can later easily get untied ... how pathetic :( Or the guy who's filming a girl with crutches - even a total moron who's never had a video camera in his hand would do a better job, I don't even think it's possible to get a picture so much out of focus, shaky, zoomed in on parts of body not on the entire person ...

Oh well, I just finished watching it and had to vent at this terrible waste of time - other comments already cover the acting that just sounds and feels like a few guys reading from cheat-sheets ... "special" effects are really special - if they were made on a Commodore 64 ;) There you go, if you were planning to watch this movie based on the few good reviews here, DON'T - read the negative reviews first, then, if you still think it's worth to have a good laugh at this thing go and waste your time as I did :( Peace!

Wow, what a difference

Author: quintanobay from New Albany, Ohio
28 October 2005

An agoraphobic girl finds out her house is haunted and finally comes to terms with the ghost who is stalking her. Three years later, cured and building a life for herself, she comes to the rescue of a teen with a similar problem and finds out that a lot more may be at stake than she thought.

Why do I find these movies so interesting? I think it's because Laura, the main character, IS interesting. And just as Laura has gone through a change, so has the sequel. I had to look at the box three times to make sure this movie was directed by the same person. At this point, director David A. Cross could probably set part 3 on Mars and make it interesting and believable. The best way to describe the difference between Ghostwatcher and Ghostwatcher 2 is to compare the first to freshman year. It was awkward and unsure of itself, but showed promise. The sequel would then be sophomore material, showing more maturity and a surer sense of the film-making process. The way I figure it, he's got two more in him before he's ready for the big time. And then I think he's going to scare the living crap out of all of us.